The World Cup of Pokémon 2020 - Qualifying Round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a ghosting scandal Monday week 1 qualifiers, by any metric this is already a bad start. But I don't think wcop is worth getting this heated over. By definition qualifying teams are going to be the ones that struggle to field a full roster. Even in r1, matches between the slot #8s of weaker teams may only have a handful of tour game experience between them. On the flip side, you'll also see inexperienced players go against guys who have been playing tours for years. So people are gonna tire out really quickly if you're gonna be like this for the whole tour lol.

Naturally I'll be supporting the lads. I know you lot are hungry for the win, and I hope you're thick skinned enough to take the cringe, even if we don't look like the trendiest team around. To keep with tradition, here's a bulldog:

But let's break the tradition of keeling over after a couple of days.

thread been kind of dying lately ig it's time for smogon's anti-hero to spice things up yet again. I didn't read the posts from before Alumn posted, so I haven't responded to them yet.

As a member of the unviable club, I want to send my regards to our glorious unviable leader Tsunami. Every time I choke in important games, I am closer to my goal of being as terrible as you are!

Also, I see no SOMALIA in the english line-up. Therefore... Go Argentina! You gotta recover the Memelvinas Islands!
Well, if your performance against ABR was any indication of your skill level, I'm sure you'll get there soon.

View attachment 249565
that's so stupid why would you waste hours in explaining why you shittalk if you say you don't care about what masses think? you're just pretending to be cool telling people that started playing yesterday they're bad. everybody knows that, what's the point? Posho 's post was way more cool man
Simple. I'm trying to get more and more people riled up and offended while simultaneously explaining my rationale. It's pretty simple. Posho's post was certainly very nice...however, I don't think I would ever refer to it as 'cool'

yawn. I've been attacked like 583859 times over in this thread, sometimes with personal insults, and you don't see me complaining. IRL insults are one thing; it's not even like I told anyone to kill themselves. It's absurd to think that calling someone 'unviable' can create this much of a reaction, but I'll take it I suppose. I guess it means I don't even have to result to real insults to incite some boiling hatred from the masses.

Everyone coming together to (rightfully) tell shake to fuck off for his disgusting behavior is one of the most heartwarming things I've seen on this site in a long time.
Love you too, BKC.

Also, Shake's type of smogtours culture makes playing in front of the Smogon crowd incredibly stressful and unfun, and I would be glad to see it go.
So, you want Smogon to be boring? I see.

I'm glad you've changed strategies. Now, instead of writing up a nonsensical post, you're just posting an unimaginative meme. Keep it up.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
hey guys, like shake, i am on the smogon gp team. i might not be an english major, but i do know a thing or two about how to properly format a sentence. if you'd like to laugh at shake in this thread but don't want to give him the ability to respond to you based on your grammar, DM me for a check! this way, he will only be able to reply with comebacks that actually hold weight. keep up the good work!

The last time I saw a good game where one of the two players was Tsunami goes back to... Never. When your strong point on pokemon is shitposting I would not allow myself to say bad things of the other newer players. But farming likes on a PEGI 3 game and going into the spotlight by mockery when you're not even viable makes me feel pitifull about you
well to absolutely NO ONE'S surprise, this random dude ended up being an absolutely AWFUL PLAYER

HOW DO YOU LOSE FROM HERE??? THE ROTOM'S TOXIC'D LOL AND ITS REGEN REUN TOO LOL WHAT BEATS CLEFABLE LOL EVEN JIRACHI AND THE FURRY GO HAM WHAT IS GOING ON PEOPLE!!! Only this unviable as fuck African team could be 0-2 in SS OU against THE GREEKS who aren't even using Clefable my god dude.

I'm giving myself a pat on the back for this one. god im amazing.
I AM HEREBY DECLARING ZS TO BE UNVIABLE

Boat

fuck nintendo
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
amgp, add remove (comment) AQM = add question mark, AC = add comma, AP = add period

Well, (AC) to absolutely NO ONE'S no one's surprise, this random dude ended up being an absolutely AWFUL PLAYER awful player. (AP)

(I'm not going to bother undoing all these capitals, please use proper capitalization) HOW DO YOU LOSE FROM HERE??? WHAT BEATS CLEFABLE? (AQM) LOL EVEN JIRACHI AND THE FURRY Zeraora GO HAM, (AC) WHAT IS GOING ON PEOPLE?!!! (AQM) Only this unviable as fuck African team could be 0-2 in SS OU against THE GREEKS, (AC) who aren't even using Clefable. (AP) my god dude. I AM HEREBY DECLARING ZS UNVIABLE. (AP)

Last edited:
well to absolutely NO ONE'S surprise, this random dude ended up being an absolutely AWFUL PLAYER

HOW DO YOU LOSE FROM HERE??? THE ROTOM'S TOXIC'D LOL AND ITS REGEN REUN TOO LOL WHAT BEATS CLEFABLE LOL EVEN JIRACHI AND THE FURRY GO HAM WHAT IS GOING ON PEOPLE!!! Only this unviable as fuck African team could be 0-2 in SS OU against THE GREEKS who aren't even using Clefable my god dude.

I'm giving myself a pat on the back for this one. god im amazing.
I AM HEREBY DECLARING ZS TO BE UNVIABLE
-Tsunami- has been on the radar for almost the entirety of This tour. With an excellent Salt tier, a fantastic ability in Shitpost and access to new moves in Unviable and Rage, this monster has proven nearly uncounterable. There is very little in the tier that does not fold to Choice Band Outrage, and those few things that do are rarely able to switch into a Smogon post - in fact, outside of the rare Postitive post, Salt + Outrage is a combination unresisted by anything in the tier. Its Capslock set is equally problematic, trading immediate breaking power for the ability to turn games around almost instantly. While it was previously kept in check by Mods, since their departure -Tsunami- has cemented itself as the single biggest threat in this thread.

However, as is often the case with powerful breakers, -Tsunami- does have areas where it suffers. It offers little to no value in its posts, making it difficult to fit onto teams, and Capslock sets often require support in order to reliably set up. With sane people in the tier, they also can no longer afford to drop Toxic Messages in favor of Counterargument, which opens them up to being revenged by good players. CB sets are more easily splashable, but they are forced into a prediction game against the fairly common defensive core of replays plus experiance, and getting one turn wrong can spell disaster for the newer players.

So, we will be opening things up to a suspect test to decide if -Tsunami- should remain in the tier. For this suspect, we will be doing something a little different and borrowing Little Cup's method: the voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 80 with at least 50 games played. In addition, you may play 1 less game for every 0.2 GXE you have above 80 GXE, down to a minimum of 30 games at a GXE of 84. As always, needing more than 50 games to reach 80 GXE is fine.

Other than that, the test will operate as always. There will be no suspect ladder. Instead, the standard tour ladder will remain open. Those who wish to participate in this suspect test will instead use a fresh, suspect-specific alt. All games must be played on the Pokemon Showdown! tour ladder on a fresh alt with the following format: "SFT1 (Nick)." For example, I might register the alt SFT1 Gadget to ladder with. You must meet the listed format in order to qualify.

Participants will have until Sunday, June 8th at 8:59 PM GMT -4 to meet voting requirements and post in the Alt Identification Thread. Happy Posting!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)