The World Cup of Pokémon 2020 - Qualifying Round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Yeah ok as much as I love looking at everyone’s pets because they’re adorable, is this really the place for it? Like sure I get that some people got offended by Shake’s predicts (I honestly haven’t read everything so if he actually crossed a line then w/e that’s up to a TD to deal with) but honestly the banter, memes and predicts etc is one of the things that drives these tours and makes them exciting. Posting photos of pets is basically acting like this tour doesn’t even exist.

Can we just go back to the memes pls
seconded. wish people would stop posting animals and go back to posting like animals

Trosko

The Catalyst
is a Tiering Contributoris a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
Responding to We Three Kings request, I hope it's not too late for me to share some nice pictures of my majestic cat. He's the most arrogant, attention seeker and jealous bitch I've the pleasure to meet in my life, but he adores me. His name is Absol, by the way.

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-30 at 10.27.41.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-30 at 10.26.10.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-30 at 10.25.08.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-30 at 10.31.30.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-30 at 10.23.51.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-27 at 12.23.34.jpeg

Have a nice weekend and for the love of God, use Clefable.

Last edited:

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
I was originally going to respond to some posts but, seeing as others have already covered what was I was going to say, I will gladly supply Smogon with a solution to the problem at hand. For what it's worth, I don't agree with what Shake did and if you ask any new or up-and-coming user who has interacted with me or asked me something then you will find out that I am extremely nice and approachable towards people who are nice to me! I am, however, also not his dad so I'm not going to tell him what to do.

That said, I think we, the competitors, can agree that there is one issue at hand that really needs to be dealt with, is the cause of the current toxicity in our community, and also the cancer that slowly kills it from within: Toxic armchair spectators who, in many respects, do not play this game and instead attack valuable competitors and actual tournament players. I will refrain from naming anyone, but ever since my good friend McMeghan got alienated from the Smogon tournaments server by one such presence the issue has been dear to my heart.

Thus, I propose that we, the competitors, make Smogon as a whole and tournaments in particular about what it should always be and have been about: Playing Pokémon. It's absolutely ludicrous to have innocent people trying to play Pokémon tournaments get attacked by people who either play 3 Randbats games a week with their rag tag group of boomers or people who just are incapable of playing this game. Thankfully, I have come up with a solution that will mostly solve this issue:

- Remove the ability to speak in the tournaments Discord as well as the Smogon tournaments server from everyone who has not been in the playoffs of either an official individual or official team tournament. These are Smogon tournaments, so it's obvious our focus here should be the competition. This will also give another reason for new users to do better and try to prove themselves, as the ability to speak would be granted upon actually playing the game and getting better, thus furthering competition. It would also remove the toxic armchairs and toxic boomers from the equation unless they actually start playing Pokémon.

- "But CBBoat!" you ask "What about the player actually competing and trying to get better or the actual tournament player who has gotten consistently unlucky and hasn't been in any playoffs?" Well, as for those people, I think a council system could be implemented where people can submit applications to be voiced, judged by some of our best and most prestigious tournament players. Tournament players know each other, and the word of new players spreads through all of Smogon's servers extremely quickly. If we had an unbiased committee of good tournament players judging these applications, then we could also cater to the aforementioned group of players while once again weeding out those who do not care about the competitive aspect. They are welcome to watch games, but there's no reason why non competitors should be able to harass those who do compete. I think a good, unbiased 3 man council to start us off with could be something like ABR/Sweepage/Fakes, but I am obviously open to suggestions.

Anyway, just my 2 cents on the matter as a longstanding and contributing member of the community. I think this would strike the best balance between actively furthering competition and weeding out people who merely exist in the tournaments server to take up bandwidth (no offense, of course, but these are tournaments after all).

Make Smogon tournaments about the competition again! For a healthier tournament scene that is about the actual players!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)