Singles 3v3 Singles (BSS) Discussion

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Dragapult is more like a swiss army knife attacker, generally likes to change up its sets to accommodate for the rest of the team rather than be built around a particular set. Even if you initially do build around a standard set like Specs, there may be a slight tweak like some bulk investment for a specific attack or unorthodox coverage move that may be worth it.

Some sets like Weakness Policy can be built around, and more niche stuff like DD Baton Pass need to be built around it. But in my opinion that is reflective of them being restrictive / situational sets. Not necessarily a good thing.

Team is really coming together I feel like its almost complete. I have a core of 5 I am really happy with but I just don't know what to do with the 6th slot since I feel like I almost don't need one. I'm currently running assault vest toxtricity as my 6th and I can almost never find a reason to play him over one of the other 5.

Team Link: http://pika.team/wJBDKSRsYY

So, hoping to get suggestions to round off the team - as well as any advice as to when I would use AV Toxtricity if I decided to keep him there...

Pikalytics has recommended Clefable - I assume the unaware version. I am very interested in the likes of Reuniclus, Gothitelle, other fairy/psychic types and even keeping Toxtricity if I could just understand when to use him.

Thanks in advance!
In general I noticed that your team lacks real switch-Ins into strong Fairy moves, which could be an issue as there are a lot of common Fairy-typed Pokémon out there right now. I know that there are ways to overcome this deficiency, but Fairy is a common typing right now. A simple solution from what I see here would be to add in a Sand Rush Excadrill here, as Excadrill can both utilize the Sand from Tyranitar well and for the most part take on opposing Fairies well too.

I don’t want to destroy your tram here lol, but I did notice some things about it that could be issues in certain situations. Assuming you add in Excadrill here, your team would end up being very physically offensive based, which could lead to issues when facing Pokémon like Iron Defense Corviknight, Iron Defense Ferrothorn, and Cotton Guard Whimsicott. I know that you have a lot of super effective moves + Dragapult for these situations, so there is that. If those defensive Pokémon get defensive boosts up though, they could end up being hard to stop. Also, your team does share some weaknesses (with Excadrill) to Fighting, Water, Ground, and Fairy moves, and your team doesn’t carry many resistances to those moves.

If you find yourself struggling with some of those things, then I would suggest trying out Excadrill as your sixth Pokémon and replacing either Machamp or Incenroar with something like Charizard, or with a special attacker that resists some of those common weaknesses that your team has right now.

I hope this helps, and feel free to ask more questions if needed, as there are plenty of people here that would be happy to help with that

Out of curiosity what do you think is the best Dragapult set to build a team around?
Dragapult is strong because of it can run many good sets. But typically in higher tier plays, I'd say physical scarf, followed by physical WP, set is the most used. Usage =/= Viability. However, scarf set is very splashable.

Dragapult is strong because of it can run many good sets. But typically in higher tier plays, I'd say physical scarf, followed by physical WP, set is the most used. Usage =/= Viability. However, scarf set is very splashable.
[/QUOTE
What would be goods teammates for a weakness policy dragapult

In general I noticed that your team lacks real switch-Ins into strong Fairy moves, which could be an issue as there are a lot of common Fairy-typed Pokémon out there right now. I know that there are ways to overcome this deficiency, but Fairy is a common typing right now. A simple solution from what I see here would be to add in a Sand Rush Excadrill here, as Excadrill can both utilize the Sand from Tyranitar well and for the most part take on opposing Fairies well too.

I don’t want to destroy your tram here lol, but I did notice some things about it that could be issues in certain situations. Assuming you add in Excadrill here, your team would end up being very physically offensive based, which could lead to issues when facing Pokémon like Iron Defense Corviknight, Iron Defense Ferrothorn, and Cotton Guard Whimsicott. I know that you have a lot of super effective moves + Dragapult for these situations, so there is that. If those defensive Pokémon get defensive boosts up though, they could end up being hard to stop. Also, your team does share some weaknesses (with Excadrill) to Fighting, Water, Ground, and Fairy moves, and your team doesn’t carry many resistances to those moves.

If you find yourself struggling with some of those things, then I would suggest trying out Excadrill as your sixth Pokémon and replacing either Machamp or Incenroar with something like Charizard, or with a special attacker that resists some of those common weaknesses that your team has right now.

I hope this helps, and feel free to ask more questions if needed, as there are plenty of people here that would be happy to help with that
So if the criteria is strong switch ins into fairy moves. And i personally think I'm lacking in the utility/setup department - what about Galarian Weezing or Gastrodon? And also wouldn't assault vest Toxtricity fit that criteria as well? He is who I am currently running 6th im just struggling to figure out when to play him.

Last edited:
https://pokepast.es/92c7e73dfe22eac9

I'm hoping to get some support for this theory team here. Backstory, I haven't played since season 1 because of personal stuff, but I'm not really trying to make the best team ever, I just want to have fun and win a few games so I would like to make my team as optimal as possible. I also want to use all 3 starters. The other 3 pokemon are just 3 pokemon I've already bred and iv trained so they're there but I still think they fit well, however is there are any gaping holes or any ways besides removing starters to optimize this squad I would greatly appreciate input and aupport

I'm hoping to get some support for this theory team here. Backstory, I haven't played since season 1 because of personal stuff, but I'm not really trying to make the best team ever, I just want to have fun and win a few games so I would like to make my team as optimal as possible. I also want to use all 3 starters. The other 3 pokemon are just 3 pokemon I've already bred and iv trained so they're there but I still think they fit well, however is there are any gaping holes or any ways besides removing starters to optimize this squad I would greatly appreciate input and aupport
For a "for fun" team it looks all right. A couple of things I noticed:

For Inteleon, you are probably going to want to run that under screens as much as possible. Its pretty frail so spending a turn on Focus Energy is risky unless you're fighting something particularly passive. That being said, I know you are trying to build around Sniper so it is what it is.

For Rillaboom, I think you should rethink how to play that defensively. The abundant Flying-types in the meta right now resist both of your offensive options and will pretty much eat you alive. I would definitely go for Drum Beating over Wood Hammer too; at least DB's speed debuff can annoy Airstream users on the switch and you don't have recoil to deal with. I'd say switch its item to Leftovers but Corviknight already has that so... maybe Sitrus Berry? I'm really not sure what to suggest, since this is definitely a new way to use Rillaboom.

For a "for fun" team it looks all right. A couple of things I noticed:

For Inteleon, you are probably going to want to run that under screens as much as possible. Its pretty frail so spending a turn on Focus Energy is risky unless you're fighting something particularly passive. That being said, I know you are trying to build around Sniper so it is what it is.

For Rillaboom, I think you should rethink how to play that defensively. The abundant Flying-types in the meta right now resist both of your offensive options and will pretty much eat you alive. I would definitely go for Drum Beating over Wood Hammer too; at least DB's speed debuff can annoy Airstream users on the switch and you don't have recoil to deal with. I'd say switch its item to Leftovers but Corviknight already has that so... maybe Sitrus Berry? I'm really not sure what to suggest, since this is definitely a new way to use Rillaboom.
Yeah rilabooms moveset was troublesome to me. Against flying the only thing I could think to do was not bring it or switch out. The only physical flying neutral move I can think to bring is knock off, and that isnt exactly a big damage dealer. But is that worth using over drain punch or protect?

A few things I noticed:

For Cinderace, I would use Bounce over Iron Head here. Bounce turns into Max Airstream while Dynamaxed, which can help ensure some sweeps (or at least good situations) with Cinderace. Also, while a super effective Iron Head does outdamage a neutral Pyro Ball or High Jump Kick, it’s not really by that much, and Iron Head in most cases only really damages opposing Fairies more than the combo or Pyro Ball/High Jump Kick here.

For Inteleon, I’m not a super big fan of the ‘increase your chances as much for a critical hit strategy’ here, as it’s simply not the most reliable strategy out there. Inteleon also isn’t that bulky so it could have trouble getting that Focus Energy boost. You could try using a Focus Sash instead of Scope Lens and Snipe Shot instead of Scald, this way it could more reliably get that boost, and with the boost Snipe Shot would still have that 100% crit rate (which would have a power of 180 excluding stab) which isn’t too shabby. I might also recommend Air Slash over Dark Pulse to have the option to get Max Airstream boosts though, which again it can do more reliably with the Focus Sash.

For Rillaboom, I don’t really think this set suits your general kinda hyper offensive team strategy here. Its set right now more aims to win battles of attrition, which contradicts what Grimmsnarl is doing here. You also have other solid walls in Corviknight and Snorlax as well here. I would recommend trying out a Choice Scarf set here, as while Inteleon and Cinderace are fast, they won’t outspeed everything. The set would be something like this:

Rillaboom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Def
Jolly nature
- Wood Hammer
- U-Turn
- Knock Off
- Superpower

This set also makes for a good alternate lead in place of Grimmsnarl; Rillaboom has a fast U-Turn here which could put you into some good positions in battle.

I hope this helps, and feel free to ask more questions if necessary. I’m sure that various people on here would be happy to answer your questions.

A few things I noticed:

For Cinderace, I would use Bounce over Iron Head here. Bounce turns into Max Airstream while Dynamaxed, which can help ensure some sweeps (or at least good situations) with Cinderace. Also, while a super effective Iron Head does outdamage a neutral Pyro Ball or High Jump Kick, it’s not really by that much, and Iron Head in most cases only really damages opposing Fairies more than the combo or Pyro Ball/High Jump Kick here.

For Inteleon, I’m not a super big fan of the ‘increase your chances as much for a critical hit strategy’ here, as it’s simply not the most reliable strategy out there. Inteleon also isn’t that bulky so it could have trouble getting that Focus Energy boost. You could try using a Focus Sash instead of Scope Lens and Snipe Shot instead of Scald, this way it could more reliably get that boost, and with the boost Snipe Shot would still have that 100% crit rate (which would have a power of 180 excluding stab) which isn’t too shabby. I might also recommend Air Slash over Dark Pulse to have the option to get Max Airstream boosts though, which again it can do more reliably with the Focus Sash.

For Rillaboom, I don’t really think this set suits your general kinda hyper offensive team strategy here. Its set right now more aims to win battles of attrition, which contradicts what Grimmsnarl is doing here. You also have other solid walls in Corviknight and Snorlax as well here. I would recommend trying out a Choice Scarf set here, as while Inteleon and Cinderace are fast, they won’t outspeed everything. The set would be something like this:

Rillaboom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Def
Jolly nature
- Wood Hammer
- U-Turn
- Knock Off
- Superpower

This set also makes for a good alternate lead in place of Grimmsnarl; Rillaboom has a fast U-Turn here which could put you into some good positions in battle.

I hope this helps, and feel free to ask more questions if necessary. I’m sure that various people on here would be happy to answer your questions.
Hey, thanks for the tips. If that's the case for inteleon wouldn't it just make sense to swap focus energy for air slash?

So with the end of the May ranked season, I did a retrospective on my Sand Bluff team. Since technically the RMT forum isn't the place for that sort of thing, I figured this was the best place to post it. I reflect a bit on the state of the meta has a mostly newcomer to competitive Pokemon and talk a bit on what I want to do with the team moving forward. Link to the RMT is included in the post-mortem and, of course, feedback is welcome.

First, a link to the Sand Bluff RMT : https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sand-bluff-mode.3664621/

My Perspective on the Meta and Team Building

I’ve heard several opinions on how stale the meta in Gen 8 has been. As someone who hadn’t been playing competitively for years (or even playing Pokemon period, really,) I was able to come into Gen 8 with a fresh perspective; in many ways, I’m sure this has shielded me from some of the negatives leveled against the current meta.

Nonetheless, it’s easy to see why Dynamax is a bit loathed: it causes a lot more 50/50’s, skyrockets versatility of already strong Pokemon and leads to snowballs that were not possible before. How many times have things gone from doing great to “well, I guess I’ll just lose now” for your matches? Or how many times have you been completely wrong about an opposing team build at team select? It’s almost like all the good strategies in the game got consolidated into only 10-15 top Pokemon. Given this centralization, it’s easy to see why “goodstuffs” is not just popular but safe. You can’t afford many--if any--weak link “niches” when most if not all of the opposing Pokemon can threaten to snowball you at a moment’s notice. So what’s my response?

(Small disclaimer: I haven’t been around competitive BSS very long so my team-building approach outlined below may not be much new. As such, you may want to look at this as less of a hot take and more as one player learning to wrap their head around the game.)

My approach usually doesn’t focus on “What’s the strongest thing I can do?” but instead on “What is the strongest thing and how do I beat it?” At one point I would’ve called it “anti-meta,” but I’m not sure that’s totally accurate. I am not against using a “meta” threat if it fits the role I’m looking for. My team-building is perhaps only “anti-meta” in the sense that my decision-making often prioritizes (sneaky) counterplay over blunt optimization.

I really like to focus on the psychological aspects of competition. Let me give some side-conversation context: I’ve invested a fair amount of time in 2D fighters like Smash Bros. What keeps me coming back to these games--which in the past was often as a hopeless romantic who really wasn’t that good at them--is the sheer joy I get out of “mindgames.” Those moments where I get inside someone’s head and play them like a fiddle straight into a Jigglypuff Rest haymaker is what gets me going. The “galaxy brain plays” are what compel me to keep going and to keep getting better.

And so if I may be a bit bold, where many see unbridled chaos in the BSS, I see fertile opportunity. Right now there is no shortage of mind screwing going on, a lot of which could arguably be said isn’t even intentional. Is that Mimikyu a Swords Dance, Trick Room or Kee Berry build? Is that a boosting Snorlax or a Yawn Snorlax? I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t been frustrated by left-field shenanigans, but after taking a step back the path forward seems to be getting clearer for me. Is there a way to generate consistency amid all the insanity?

The Sand Bluff Model

So on to my actual team retrospective.

The main core of Sand Bluff is Tyranitar + Excadrill + Rotom-Fan, and I’m happy to say I’ve had a lot of success with it despite it being a fairly linear strategy on the surface. I will admit that near the end of this last season I took a rather sharp dive in the ranks, but this was a combination of bad play and technical difficulties with our internet. I ended up taking a small hiatus and playing the end of the season more so to restabilize myself and continue gathering data for the next round.

As I pointed out in the team-building process, Excadrill and Rotom-Fan are really what this team is built around. Excadrill is one of your “goodstuffs” picks with a Rotom-Fan in the back to “plug holes.” I’m going to re-emphasize the two major benefits of this pairing:

1. Rotom-Fan is not just a niche check to enable Excadrill; it’s a wincon that straight-up takes over the match. One prepares their team expecting Excadrill to do the heavy lifting and for Rotom-Fan to do support (which is still doable if I so choose,) but reality ends up being reversed.
  2. Rotom-Fan hard counters the most common sets for Excadrill’s counters. Corviknight, defensive Ferrothorn and Toxapex have very little in the way of good answers even if they were to call the switch. Compare these matchups with, say, Togekiss vs. Ferrothorn: Togekiss absolutely has to be mindful of switching into Gyro Ball, let alone trying to do something like Nasty Plot setup. This ease of switching provides what is often missing from BSS: consistency. More on that later.

The amount of disrespect I’ve seen players give Rotom-Fan is ridiculous. I’ve seen opposing comps with 2 or even all 3 pokemon weak to Rotom-Fan. Rotom-Fan still doesn’t seem to be getting much usage and attention even now, so we will see how long I can continue to pull the bait-and-switch off. All that being said, Rotom-Fan still isn’t the most self-sufficient fighter in the meta, so how do I attempt to guarantee value?

To see how I move towards this, we need to wrap up the original threesome. Tyranitar got added and I had a Sand Rush duo. What I essentially created was a snowball effect across three Pokemon. Tyranitar’s Sand Stream sets up Excadrill, and Excadrill’s lure of defensive walls sets up Rotom-Fan. Furthermore, we’re still doing a lot “goodstuffs” here. Tyranitar is a cripple lead set up specifically to buffer against many of the main pair’s weaknesses; Sand Rush Excadrill is an imposing sweeper who generally needs a dedicated answer to stop; Rotom-Fan is the farthest from true “goodstuffs” but can still play the part especially when Excadrill lays the trap.

Perhaps the most interesting thing to note is how the reception loop goes from being swiss-army knife (Tyranitar) to being rather niche (Rotom-Fan.) This is actually where the psychological aspect of the team really starts to come into play. Instead of trying to do everything, the core tries to funnel the opponent into that Rotom-Fan checkmate. In essence, I try to create and manufacture consistency by getting the opponent to abide by my playbook. There is more risk involved (which I talk about below,) but if the pressure forces the opponent’s hand the payoff can have fantastic results.

Drawbacks

Of course, this model isn’t without flaws.

First off, this cycle is very dependent on the opponent actually doing what I want. We’ve already highlighted why that’s a problem in this generation, so it basically comes down to which of us is better at playing the brain games. If the opponent brings a surprise Excadrill counter that Rotom-Fan isn’t prepared for or otherwise calls my “bluff,” the whole loop can break down.

Second off, blatantly telegraphing one of my wincons (Sand Rush) is just flat out risky. Weather control is easier than ever in the era of Dynamax, so tipping my hand at team preview gives my opponent plenty of opportunity to prepare.

Both issues mean that, as with most builds, the team preview game is something that begs to be mastered. It also helps that, irregardless of the image, having a power duo in Tyranitar + Excadrill can still pull plenty of weight even under mediocre circumstances. I don’t attempt to deny that resiliency is still something that any team needs, so foregoing raw power and proven strategies on a team just for the sake of “being different” is just not that smart. There has to be a reason to use something like Rotom-Fan.

Conclusion and Looking Ahead

I don’t think I’m quite done with this team. With one more ranked season before the DLC mons drop (assuming they aren’t legal when released mid-season,) I want to put a little more work into this team. All three of the other pokes on my team--Haxorus, Dragapult and Ferrothorn--are fair game to get axed and replaced. There are a couple of things I could toy with.

First, my model has a generalized reception loop:

1st - Lead / Bouncer : Specializes in versatility and handling uncertainty. Surprise trades key threats or cripples them for the next mon to deal with.
2nd - Enforcer : The “primary” wincon who benefits most from the lead’s setup. Generally more specialized than the lead, but the lead’s setup generally puts it in position to cause serious damage; the opponent either loses at this point or brings out their counter.
3rd - Wild Card : The surprise wincon. This pokemon may or may not be as self-sufficient as the Enforcer, though “flying under the radar” is a desirable characteristic. Specifically capitalizes on Enforcer counters, often swinging momentum in ways it normally couldn’t.

It’s possible that I could find secondary picks for some of these roles: for instance, a screen setter for WP Excadrill or even Rotom-Fan in the lead spot. There are also other “loops” I could experiment with outside of this as well. One thing I did with the old team a lot was Sand Rush + Ferrothorn: I could lead Tyranitar, but switch to Ferrothorn if I didn’t like how things were going and try to reset Sand Rush. I actually have a new defensive mon I’m getting ready to experiment with as an answer to G-Max Lapras, but I’ll hold my cards on that for now.

All in all, I’ve enjoyed the ride so far, and hopefully the DLC will keep the enjoyment going. As usual, feedback on my team or on my team building approach is welcome. Thank you for reading!

Alolan Ninetales is one of my favorite pokemon ever and I made a team can you please rate this team.

Dragapult (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Atk / 140 Def / 4 SpD / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force
- Acrobatics
- Steel Wing

Ninetales-Alola @ Choice Specs
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Aurora Veil

Milotic @ Flame Orb
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Mirror Coat
- Haze
- Recover

So far I am testing new cores and I've gone 7-0 with these team on showdown. What other teammates do you think would have good synergy.

Hey, thanks for the tips. If that's the case for inteleon wouldn't it just make sense to swap focus energy for air slash?
No problem! After looking at Inteleon further, I think it could be a good user of Choice Specs here. I know that it has a high base special attack, but it really could use that extra ‘oomph’ in some situations. It also could pair better in general with your general hyper offense strategy, as in theory it would take less turns to dispatch foes, thus helping it do its job better before Screens wear off. I was thinking something like this:

Inteleon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Sniper/Torrent (both are kinda situational, but have their uses)
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 Def
Timid nature
- U-Turn
- Ice Beam
- Air Slash / Surf
- Hydro Pump / Surf

Again, happy to help, and feel free to ask more questions if necessary.

No problem! After looking at Inteleon further, I think it could be a good user of Choice Specs here. I know that it has a high base special attack, but it really could use that extra ‘oomph’ in some situations. It also could pair better in general with your general hyper offense strategy, as in theory it would take less turns to dispatch foes, thus helping it do its job better before Screens wear off. I was thinking something like this:

Inteleon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Sniper/Torrent (both are kinda situational, but have their uses)
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 Def
Timid nature
- U-Turn
- Ice Beam
- Air Slash / Surf
- Hydro Pump / Surf

Again, happy to help, and feel free to ask more questions if necessary.

Thanks again. If you're willing can you take a look at my actual team? I'm substituting charizard for venusaur when it becomes legal. It might be premature though since the meta will probably shift in 2 weeks lol https://pokepast.es/3357b5923a9580cf

Last edited:
Thanks again. If you're willing can you take a look at my actual team? I'm substituting charizard for venusaur when it becomes legal. It might be premature though since the meta will probably shift in 2 weeks lol https://pokepast.es/3357b5923a9580cf
Venusaur is legal already though lol.

Anyway, the team doesn’t look too bad really. I noticed a couple of things though. For Venusaur, I would use Weather Ball over Earth Power here, as with Weather Ball it can hit Corviknight and Ferrothorn hard (in sun of course), and they are both common Pokémon right now. Without Earth Power Venusaur could be in danger of being walled or wasting its Dynamax against those Pokémon. Also, I’m pretty sure that Venusaur can hit most of the Earth Power targets hard after a Growth boost anyway. For Dragapult, I’m pretty sure that EV spread was intended with an Adamant nature (it can OHKO offensive Sylveon with an unboosted Max Steelspike with the Adamant nature I believe).

I hope this helps, and feel free to ask other things if needed.

Alolan Ninetales is one of my favorite pokemon ever and I made a team can you please rate this team.

Dragapult (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Atk / 140 Def / 4 SpD / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force
- Acrobatics
- Steel Wing

Ninetales-Alola @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Aurora Veil

Milotic @ Flame Orb
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Mirror Coat
- Haze
- Recover

So far I am testing new cores and I've gone 7-0 with these team on showdown. What other teammates do you think would have good synergy.
Who are the other teammates on this team? It’s kinda hard to do a full rate on an incomplete team here lol.

I’m also not a huge fan of Specs Ninetales here. I think there are quite a few Pokémon that utilize Specs better here, and I’m fairly sure it’s better used in a supporting role focused on setting up Aurora Veil. Again, without knowing the rest of the team, it’s somewhat hard to suggest what Ninetales should really have here. Assuming this is more of a hyper offense team I would suggest this set:

Ninetales @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Spe, 4 SpA
Timid nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze Dry
- Moonblast
- Encore / Hypnosis

I would really like to know the rest of this team. I hope this helps you, and feel free to ask other things if needed.

Simple question with one of those potential "yeah but..." answers:

Can Cinderace be burned after it changes type with Libero? I want to try some sneaky tech on my singles team but its one of those situations where the game might "pull a fast one."

Can Cinderace be burned after it changes type with Libero? I want to try some sneaky tech on my singles team but its one of those situations where the game might "pull a fast one."
Yes.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

If you’re hoping to use Wisp Pult to get them on a Sucker Punch, we discovered on Discord that Libero doesn’t change to Dark if Sucker fails... So if they’re Fire type at the start of the turn they’ll stay that way.

If you’re hoping to use Wisp Pult to get them on a Sucker Punch, we discovered on Discord that Libero doesn’t change to Dark if Sucker fails... So if they’re Fire type at the start of the turn they’ll stay that way.
Well shucks. At least Thunder Wave is still an option. :psysad:

I don't particularly like the conclusions I've come to trying to gameplan around this thing. I'm kind of afraid to ask how other people are dealing with it, because I'm pretty sure I'm going to get an answer along the lines of "also play Cinderace, but bEtTeR." Right now I feel like you either stop it up front (trying to switch anything into it feels next to impossible) or you have to get a Cinderace/Mimikyu reverse sweep of your own going (which Cinderace can also Bounce stall with.)

I suspect a fire-type reign of terror is beginning with the debut of Libero Cinderace and the imminent arrival of Gale Wings Talonflame. Priority Max Airstream? SpIcY.

Well shucks. At least Thunder Wave is still an option. :psysad:

I don't particularly like the conclusions I've come to trying to gameplan around this thing. I'm kind of afraid to ask how other people are dealing with it, because I'm pretty sure I'm going to get an answer along the lines of "also play Cinderace, but bEtTeR." Right now I feel like you either stop it up front (trying to switch anything into it feels next to impossible) or you have to get a Cinderace/Mimikyu reverse sweep of your own going (which Cinderace can also Bounce stall with.)

I suspect a fire-type reign of terror is beginning with the debut of Libero Cinderace and the imminent arrival of Gale Wings Talonflame. Priority Max Airstream? SpIcY.
I didn’t think about priority Max Airstream lol. I don’t think Talonflame will be too bad though. Priority Max Airstream is pretty cool, but it’s not super strong either. It can’t get a weakness policy boost without losing priority, and it likely can’t get a Swords Dance without losing priority either. Max Airstream also wouldn’t get a Choice Band boost either. Talonflame would be the only viable Pokémon to get a priority Dynamax move, which is definitely valuable.

What do you all think the new main threats will be when the expansion hits? I can see Scizor, Azumarill, Chansey, and Tangrowth will become major threats for varying reasons. I don’t think Magnezone will become that big of a threat due to not having Hidden Power Fire or an equal type move (watch it get Mystical Fire lol), and Steel/Electric coverage isn’t the strongest when it comes to Magnet Pull trapping. Skarmory does have some utility options that Corviknight lacks, but their physically defensive capabilities are actually not that far apart, so I could see Corviknight still seeing some use. Also, if Galarian Slowbro gets Regenerator, it could be good as well as a switch into most Fairies out there (assuming the stats and move options are similar to normal Slowbro).

I didn’t think about priority Max Airstream lol. I don’t think Talonflame will be too bad though. Priority Max Airstream is pretty cool, but it’s not super strong either. It can’t get a weakness policy boost without losing priority, and it likely can’t get a Swords Dance without losing priority either. Max Airstream also wouldn’t get a Choice Band boost either. Talonflame would be the only viable Pokémon to get a priority Dynamax move, which is definitely valuable.
I think where Max Priority Airstream is going to shine is going to be where Disguise Mimikyu shines: reverse Dynamax sweeps. Come in against a weakened (Dynamax) opponent and get a guaranteed first strike with a beefy 130 BP attack. If its get some extra coverage moves in the transition to Gen 8, I definitely think it could make some waves.

EDIT: In regards to Weakness Policy though, that's probably not very viable anyway. I suspect Heavy-Duty Boots will be the item of choice so that it doesn't lose Gale Wings to rocks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)