LC Suspect - Sun Comes Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Our next suspect will be Chlorophyll. We had a lot of great discussion about how best to address sun in the Metagame Discussion Thread, which you can read starting with this post. The options that we discussed were Bulbasaur, Heat Rock, and Chlorophyll. Of these, Bulbasaur was eliminated first because it had minority support from both the council and general public. From there, Chlorophyll was selected. Heat Rock and Chlorophyll had similar levels of support in the council and thread, and most members of the council favored one option but felt the other would be acceptable. Chlorophyll was selected because it addresses the primary issue of sun wholesale (Chlorophyll users) and does not significantly neuter other competitive archetypes of sun (Fire spam).

Vulpix must also be addressed, as part of the reasoning to ban Vulpix was its support role for sun teams. At this time, Vulpix will remain banned -- after the vote, the council will evaluate Vulpix and discuss suspecting it for an unban if necessary. This may not be immediate, as DLC will be dropped shortly after this suspect.

Chlorophyll is an ability that doubles the speed of a Pokemon while sun is active. LC's compressed Speed tiers make it virtually impossible to outrun Chlorophyll users while the sun is up, and the coverage available to each Chlorophyll Pokemon offers little room for outplaying someone using a sun team. The council believes that sun's limited pool of reliable answers and ability to dictate the pace of the game is worthy of suspecting, and may be too much for the tier to handle.

The voting requirements have been lowered from 80 to 78 GXE for this suspect.

The voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 78 with at least 50 games played. In addition, you may play 1 less game for every 0.2 GXE you have above 78 GXE, down to a minimum of 30 games at a GXE of 82. As always, needing more than 50 games to reach 78 GXE is fine.

GXEminimum games

For this suspect test, we will be using the regular LC ladder, so you must create a new account that begins with LCCH to qualify. When you have reached the requirements, click here (not posted yet) to post your proof. The suspect period will end on June 15th, 11:59 PM EST.

When posting in this thread, please keep in mind these rules:
1. No one liners or uninformed posts.
2. No discussion on other potential suspects or the suspect process.
3. Be respectful.

Your post will be deleted and possibly infracted if you fail to follow them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
While I am disappointed in the decision to suspect Chlorophyll over Heat Rock, I am very excited to see this suspect come. Just as a running list and resource for users who come for the suspect, here is a list of LC Pokemon that get Chlorophyll, Pokemon that support the Chlorophyll sweepers, and common sun checks.

also, excellent song choice

Chlorophyll:
:bulbasaur: the best chloro sweeper, growth is the prime set
:oddish: lacks fire coverage but notably can bop vullaby with moonblast
:cherubi: notable for Chlorophyll being its only ability
:cottonee: not typically a chloro sweeper
:seedot: bad

Common Sun Support:
:diglett: the best manual sun setter
:riolu: prankster sunny day
:purrloin: same, but worse
:onix: sunny day -> boom
:charmander: scarf solar power fire blast is ridiculous to switch into

Common Sun Checks:
:vullaby: it's just such a bulky brave bird
:ponyta: flash fire and strong fire attacks, weak to trapping
:mareanie: neutral to grass, resists fire/poison, weak to trapping
:ferroseed: weak to weather ball but helps stall sun turns via switches
:munchlax: bulky af
:koffing: has fire coverage and bulk, fairly passive
:sizzlipede: extremely niche but nearly perfect counter to sun
:snover: weak to poison but provides hail
:meowth: strong priority for revenging

other than the first list, these are not comprehensive. enjoy the suspect; I know I will!

e: that bottom option should be kanto meowth, just pretend it is I guess

Last edited:

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
I'll be voting to ban Chlorophyll. While my preferred ban was Heat Rock, banning Chlorophyll is still a worthwhile venture because it effectively kills an unhealthy archetype (Bulbasaur/Cherubi sun). I'm not sure if bringing back Vulpix with Heat Rock still around is a great idea, but it's worth considering now with more seriousness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)