Status
Not open for further replies.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
i spent way too much time playing this meta

replays here cause im too lazy to link em

w1 vs loser (g1) :vaporeon::eternatus::marshadow::melmetal::incineroar::mewtwo:
this team was a general representation of how i felt the meta to be around that time: using etern/melmetal to your advantage while teching around opposing etern/melmetal to avoid losing to them, and controlling the game with double ph. regenvest incineroar was a mon i was very fond of around this time, especially with vcreate to kill off zacc and heavily pressure mons like zama, zamac, and snorlax.

dont rly know what to say about the game, i feel like i played it pretty well. crit on incin was kinda unfort cause it forced me to dynamax m2 due to not having good darm answers, but loser did a good job at denying me openings as well, so i can't really say 100% how i couldve won. overall i wouldve been mad if this was bo1 but im not complaining rn lol

w1 vs loser (g2, g3) :incineroar::seismitoad::golisopod::zekrom::eternatus::zacian-crowned:
note the regenvest incin again here. i already knew resh was broken by this pt so having that on the team to cover him (alongside the goat amnesia toad) was very helpful. anyway this team was built around this etern set that probably sucks by now cause everyones spamming regenvest (at least u can wisp guys tho). zacc set is very goofy, wish golis is very good though

i was able to win g2 very comfortably cause loser was too reliant on the terrible pokemon that was pixilate zac to win the hazard war, so i was just able to exploit that and win from there cause i had answers for all his threats. g3 was as we all know silly and filled with dumb things like amnesia toad actually putting in work, zacc winning the speed tie only to use defog and die, and me using dynamax in such a terrible way that loser didnt even know i used it at all. as silly as this series was, it was what gave me momentum for this season. i think winning the first week is so crucial to consistent ompl success cause it gives you something to work off.

w2 vs df-shock :zamazenta::eternatus::type null::grimmsnarl-gmax::seismitoad::reshiram:
i found a good etern set (flare boost) and wanted to build around him. originally it was toxic>recover hence the use of ph grimmsnarl as the imposter proofer, but recover helps so much w longevity. grimm + null are kinda redundant here but this team came together close to saturday and i felt too nervous changing anything. redundancy is nice in this meta anyway. this is like a caveman triple ph team lol

game was rough, 3 layers of spikes went up and my man sailor team got sent directly to hell. my way of winning at that point was by creating pressure and confusion, and eventually i was able to find the opening after extending the game for long enough. really weird game tbh

w3 vs dimrah :zekrom::golisopod::kyurem-white::mandibuzz::zamazenta-crowned::lunala:
alright so when i was spectating the other bh games i saw that everyone was getting sent directly to hell by shell smash and it was getting suspected. i needed BIG INNOVATION to not lose to it, which came in the form of scarf snow warning kyuw + prank mandi. regenvest lunala was a chessking invention that fit pretty well here. the team was a bit passive but it could still hope to do damage with double choice trick, spikes from kyuw, and lunala/zamac being annoying.

when i saw dimrahs team i knew i was gonna be fine if i didnt get owned by darmz. i was comfortable exploiting everyone on the team except lunala and darmz, so i could get a major advantage by invalidating them. zekrom got sent directly to hell early on but for a trade on lunala's hp which was very nice for me (luckily i was jolly on him). i was wary of revealing spin too early on golis cause of geist, but that turned out not to matter cause he was 100% going geist on that anyway (he was teleport while i was uturn). i was able to remove zamas leftovers w lunala and take out darm's life orb, which was super good for me. etern was walled by lunala, kyuw got spikes back up again, and darm only got 1 kill with dynamax. once it died to earth power, the advantage was crazy so i just carried that to victory.

intermission: drum null :type null::wobbuffet::reshiram::marshadow::lapras-gmax::ferrothorn:
90% of the time the lapras/ferro do absolutely nothing so this can prob be improved upon, but the drum null is surprisingly effective with good playing. i added ph marsh cause im carried and didnt know who else to put

w4 vs hl :darmanitan-zen::reshiram::zacian::seismitoad::marshadow::zamazenta-crowned:
we gentlemanned no smash for this so i was free to build something more solid and less "i dont wanna lose to smash". the hazard removal on this team is weird but its fast paced enough that it doesnt matter. overall very proud of this team, the only big issue is no water resist but psea zac obv helps vs rain. this is also where my nicknames started going off the rails

i was scared of some weird stuff hl might have, but when i saw his team i knew it was fine. all the guys were way too passive to do anything so i could just unleash tech after tech on them. umbreon went down early, and jellicent took the trick, so i could just outmaneuver him, which is pretty much what i did. i was in control of the game so i could just make him switch into hazards for ages until his team died. zama wasn't able to pose enough of a threat. not letting resh get knocked wouldve sped up the game for sure tho. i was scared of lategame fc resh but i was able to force hl to let it take rocks, letting marsh break thru.

w5 vs mamp :reshiram::darmanitan-zen::primarina::gourgeist-super::umbreon::zacian-crowned:
this team didn't come together until very soon before the game (in fact, one could argue it never truly came together at all). the basic idea of grav apple zacc was what started it, but in the end the god set KOMM SUSSER TOD was what held it together.

game was stupid it was somehow a bad matchup for both of us (<--- gen 8 bh in a nutshell) i kinda lost to the av etern lategame but mamp clicked x so dont know what happened there

intermission 2: unironically broken boogaloo :reshiram::zekrom::solgaleo::tyranitar::snorlax::primarina:
the ttar on this team does absolutely nothing in every game but the team still wins 200% of the time. drummer zek is so strong and never loses

w7 vs skylake :gastrodon::lunala::snorlax::seismitoad::eternatus::zacian-crowned:
i thought tspikes were cool cause everyone was tossing etern to the side and all the court change mons hated getting poisoned. head smash zacc is unironically a good set and kills fc resh. was unsure what to put as the prank cause i needed a couple things and double toad was actually the play here hilariously enough. prob the best team ive built this ompl but im not sure

skylake didnt have enough for hazards and got owned by blazing star

playoffs vs hl again :zacian::zekrom::mandibuzz::lunala::zamazenta-crowned::necrozma-dawn-wings:
i was thinkin bout lunala like wow this actually has no counters (i was only using it not facing it) and was like you know what would be better than 1 lunala?? 2 lunalas and added dawnwings with base lunala meant to take out dark types w +2 sword (this was also meant to outspeed and kill off base 90-95s with +2 moongeist). ph mandi improof, healing wish zac was very useful. zamac was meant to offensively threaten the bad guys when i didnt have lunala to scare em off. reflect type was the god tech to cover both dynamax and no dynamax on normal/dark types.

game didnt go so well, some ppl say i got mu'd but both my building and playing left much to be desired. after losing bh seasonal too ive come to believe that none of my teams are actually that good. it is what it is though

shoutouts to Chessking345 for consistently providing testing, even taking the initiative to test with me (which is impressive in its own right) and giving me some cool sets to steal. hope to see more of you in bh
Racool its so funny to see you always like "ok i'll play but no guarantees" and then just win games
drampa's grandpa OM you guys were pretty good managers, i'm impressed. you were good presences and kept it positive
rest of tyrantrums: was great spending the season with you all, i kinda regret not getting to know you guys a bit better but it was a good experience nonetheless

everyone's pokemon nicknames are bad except mine

see u all in classic

I might be in the minority when I say that I enjoyed building this aaa meta for most (altho not all) of the tour. I think there's a lot of creative directions you can go and I think I brought really cool and effective teams every week (despite the record). I made 12 teams that were brought to/intended for actual games so this was easily the most grindy tour I've participated in. Kinda lame that dlcs gonna probably change the meta a lot but fuck it I spent a lot of time on these teams and Im proud of them so Im gonna post them anyways:

Regular Season Teams

w1 vs mz (W)
:Cinderace: :Dragapult: :Gardevoir: :Hydreigon: :Mew: :Snorlax:
Week 1 I was just getting into the meta and didn't really know what was good or not. Jrdn passed me a team early on that featured a scarf dazzling hydreigon which I thought was really cool because it beats triage pod/kiss/hat and all those guys which can be really annoying, not to mention it abuses pex hard. My mind immediately jumped to psychic surge > dazzling and replacing the breaker with specs tinted garde, something which seemed to have no switchins in terrain and also had a nice fairy typing to eat dragon darts. Slowly I replaced more and more mons until the team was basically brand new and I had a pretty neat offense team. It's a pretty simple tried and true mew/lax defensive core (straight from gen 7) with a bunch of powerful mons to break quickly that have nice synergy defensively and offensively. There were quite a few defensive holes on the team by the time I put 5 mons on it but I elected to go Cinderace as 6th to greatly improve my overall matchup spread as opposed to throwing on some passive mon as my last, and I think it worked wonderfully. The team gives you a lot of flexibility and room to outplay as many mus as possible, which is something I aim a lot for while building.

w2 vs rozes (L)
:Mew: :Ferrothorn: :Clefable: :Silvally-Electric: :Golisopod: :Cobalion:
Going into the week I wasn't really expecting cheese or anything and I knew rozes would try to bring some kind of sturdy magic bouncer so I started off with Cobalion, a very potent rocker I had theorymonned that beats almost all common bouncers, except for mbounce pex which I didn't think he'd bring twice in a row. I paired it with Tinted Band pod, which had very good defensive synergy while also luring all the fast speed control u-turn shit like noivern/pult/cinderace and killing them. I had a ton of success with scarf regen wisp victini in gen 6 and gen 7 so I wanted to bring it back here, especially as probably the only fast terrak counter in the metagame. Silvally-electric was suggested by toast (i think) and was a set that was flying very under the radar that covered the special side very well, while FF ferrothorn rounded out a lot of team synergy. The clefable is an absolute abomination of a set as a last ditch effort to role compress a bouncer, rocker, dragapult check, and longterm lax/prima check into one slot.
I think this team is pretty solid as a whole, especailly the defensive core, not to mention it also has the tools to break down most teams pretty nicely. All the EVs are calculated too, no random slider dragging this time (maybe on the clef idr but probably not)

w3 vs LBDC (L)
:Copperajah: :Dragapult: :Ferrothorn: :Grimmsnarl: :Mew: :Rotom-Wash:
First off this team was made by jrdn, I tweaked a ton of the sets and his version is pretty different but idt it matters too much bc pult ban. Anyways I had no idea what to expect this week, played around w some weird stuff but nothing was working amazingly for me and apparently jrdn was smashing everyone with this team in tests so I brought it. I remember seeing LBDC use mamoswine once but that was literally all I remembered so I prepped accordingly for that. Copperajah is sick though that guy has no switchins esp if you get off your paras right.

w4 vs racool g1 (L)
:Cinderace: :Doublade: :Seismitoad: :Charizard: :Corviknight: :Togekiss:
Played around with centiskorch sun a lot in past weeks and I noticed racool had used like a total of 3 fire resists in her life so I wanted to abuse that. This team was a product of throwing a bunch of mons together but it worked really well in tests for whatever reason and the longer I used it the more confident I felt in it. Toge in sun is pretty much impossible to wall, I think it ohkos snorlax at +2 or smth? Either way there was a great chance that I could just get an autowin mu with this team, and even in tests vs teams with solid fire resists like toxapex, I was winning games so I was confident that I had a lot of room to manuever around most matchups. Seismitoad was a weird choice for a sun setter, but I really wanted regen corvi as I'm not a fan of bare bones corvi, and Seis gave me a much needed somewhat sturdy fire resist, electric immune, and rocker. I knew racool liked scarf noivern/scarfrak so I ended up changing chloro centiskorch to chloro cinderace which basically does the same thing at the end of the day. Magic bounce zard might seem like a weird pick, but not only can it bluff chloro and whatnot really well, but it also is able to 1v1 almost every relevant bouncer in the meta. Lastly but not leastly, Water Absorb doublade was a countermeasure for rain/primarina/pex that also acts as my lax/terrak check and a third wincon.

w4 vs racool g2 (L)
:Kyurem: :Mew: :Jirachi: :Mandibuzz: :Primarina: :Dragapult:
One recurring pattern with racool teams that I picked up on was that they all either have a random dazzling mon like terrak/kyu or just lose to triage kiss. Unlike toge, Prima beats all the common dazzling mons 1v1 so I wanted to bring that. Kyurem looked very solid too, especially with DD to potentially sweep late game. AV regen rachi and silvally can give kyurem some trouble, so I wanted to pair it with spikes support, as 12% on av steels can make a huge difference over time in aaa. I went with skill swap + spikes dshield mew to offer maximum utility and paired it with jirachi + mandi to round out my defensive core as well as add fog/mbounce. For speed control I just added a pult but to mix it up I ran a funky mixed will-o hex set that worked extremely well, with a colbur berry on top cus my team was pretty dark weak. Having wisp and being mixed tends to lure in a lot of those AV regen mons I mentioned earlier, making it even more likely for kyurem to put in a ton of work. I still think mew's probably the best spiker, and even with new mons coming back spikes are likely to still end up just as strong, if not stronger than rocks due to heavy duty boots.

w4 vs racool g3 (didn't happen)
:Conkeldurr: :Dragapult: :Silvally-Water: :Doublade: :Mamoswine: :Togekiss:
See above with the triage thing. This is a prio spam team bc priority is extremely strong in AAA, with charti toge to lure dazzle rak for the rest of my team to go ham. By now I'm more than comfortable enough with the meta to delve into a lot more interesting off-meta sets. Conk was a mon that had fallen off but was very solid against the majority of dominant offensive threats; in combination with specs mbounce dragapult, another very unpredictable set (designed to capitalize on the seeming lack of mbouncers on my team), hazards pretty much never go up which is very important for silvally and toge's longevity. I dont remember too well why it's water vally but there's a good reason and I've been wanting to use it since week 1 (per jrdn suggestion). Doublades the same set as the g1 doublade for similar reasons, and finally, this mamo set was something I had cooked up a few weeks ago that seemed very potent. Dauntless shield was incredibly meta by week 4 and this mamo set takes full advantage of that, 2hkoing dshield mew, by far the most common check to mamo. In addition it lures boosted snorlaxes with superpower (made it stealth rock bc I have doublade + conk + toge) but u can fit superpower too), and lures boosted toges/other setup mons in a similar way, because no one on earth would expect unaware mamoswine. The toge spread looks absolutely insane but I promise there's a reason for it -- with this spread, you take little enough from unboosted snorlax facade and heal back enough hp with +4 and/or +6 draining kiss to pretty much always beat lax with the right reaction-based sequence of plays. I think the special defense is for dazzling pult or smth idk

w5 vs fardin (W)
:Corviknight: :Gengar: :Mamoswine: :Mew: :Silvally-Electric: :Toxapex:
Here I didn't have too much of a read about what fardin was gonna bring, so I just wanted to bring a pretty generally solid team with some mons I didn't use as much. It was the first week after pult ban so I was ready to try the next broken thing of Gengar. I did know the fact that Fardin ran a lot of bulletproof and talked about moldy gengar a lot so I wanted a gengar that could both get past bulletproof and not be bad like moldy gar, settling on specs gar. This set is disgusting it OHKOs pex after a burn and doesnt really have switchins at all actually. Mandis the closest thing and it gets sludge bomb poisoneed and eventually loses to venoshock/hex while max/max lax takes >62 from venoshock. Status spam was the way to go with this, and silvally with poison fang looked as strong as ever here. I'd been using a ton of dshield mew so I wanted to switch it up with pex as my main terrak check but after I realized I needed a bouncer, I ended up putting the goat set scarf mbounce mew anyways. This was actually a suggestion from stresh in my week 2 team that I ignored bc I thought it was dumb but it ended up being so good that I brought it over and over again for the rest of ompl, and carried me vs fardin in the actual game. Corviknight was my defogger of choice and rounded out my weaknesses very well defensively. Finally I had room to run Mamoswine as another breaker that not only synergizes extremely well with gengar offensively but also handles a lot of defensive roles and is capable of luring and removing a stray +1 lax with superpower and paving the way for gengar to go in with hex spam. Very fun team but yeah gengars busted as fuck

w6 vs Sabella (L)
:Hippowdon: :Jirachi: :Goodra: :Toxapex: :Golisopod: :Terrakion:
On preview it looks like a really gross balance but by this point I was starting to change up my builds in this meta to be more driven by my offensive mons. Theres a lot of cool mons on this team that I had been wanting to use for a while, and all are pretty unique. SF Rachi was suggested by jrdn at one point and I liked the idea, as I expected geerat would build some sort of balance style build and I could just pick and choose appropriate coverage to handle the majority of his builds. I also knew he does not leave home without mew, and specifically mew as a terrakion check. I couldve opted for a standard adapt set but I was willing to bank on this and went for beast boost terrak, with the idea that you chip mew once and then instantly sweep bc his terrak check will be gone. Guts pod was an age old jrdn set that has existed for years and never seen the light of day in tournament play, so I figured i could probably catch sabella with it because it definitely just automatically wins games vs many people who dont expect guts. Scarf Goodra covers most fast mons in this meta and most fast mons like cinderace/inteleon/gengar/noivern too so I figured it'd be great speed control and I also figured my opponent wouldn't expect scarf goodra. At this point I had a pretty fast team but I was still missing rocks,bounce, and was fairly threatened by other things so I threw on a hippo and pex which doesn't make much sense at first glance. The idea is they're just there to sit around in the back and threaten the opponent to do things but rarely ever actually come in except when checking the fast threats to this team like weav/terrak. They're also slow enough to not get uturned on and also not put myself in awful positions thanks to slow whirlwind and slow gastro acid. Team is very hard to play with but I don't think it's a bad team by any means.

w7 vs Mamp (W)
:Mewtwo: :Zacian-Crowned: :Zekrom: :Zacian: :Zamazenta-Crowned: :Ferrothorn:
This week I asked jrdn to put me in my main tier and built a super hot team w highlighter. Looked in the scout and saw mamp used like 2 dark types in all of gen 8 so that's why you see a specs adapt M2. Wanted a solid rocker to support just in case mamp actually did bring a dark type so HL suggested SR Zac-C with grav apple/beak/eq. I noticed in past weeks of ompl that zekrom was literally 6-0ing people on preview so I wanted to bring it bc it looked super broken. I saw mamp loved seis as his zek check, and I also saw a couple volt absorb primas in the bh games I watched, so I went for grav apple bc that would literally autowin vs a team with either of those. Turns out it also helps a lot vs drill and like specthief zama-c and whatnot which I definitely didn't realize at the time when I just wanted a grass move. I started off with a defensive core of FC resh/thick fat snorlax/prank ferro as improof and as checks to all the major problematic mons I saw in the meta. HL was scared of running into CC resh or CC m2 or smth and also running thick fat lax in a tournament game so that part got changed. We ended up w FC zamac to compress the Zac-C check/kyuw check/lun check/spinner/improof part. Prim sea zac gave me a slot to run spikes while also acting as a check to almost all resh sets + snowman. Pretty happy w this team it's weak to zama but it's really fast and powerful, gets a lot of autowin mus with the zek/zac-c and also is easily the most fun team ive used in bh. Ive brought it every round of seasonals and it has won almost every game.

Playoffs Teams
w8 vs racool (L)
:Seismitoad: :Corviknight: :Noivern: :Snorlax: :Mew: :Primarina:
So one night Andyboy was complaining about how all AAA players do is click uturn and even though I was deeply appalled and offended as someone who identifies as an AAA player myself, I realized he was right. Combine that with another tendency of AAA players I noticed, which was to always go to your bouncer on the obvious rocker, and you have basically the inspirations behind building both of my AAA playoffs teams. There's a ton of overlap between the two teams I brought for playoffs and I didn't mind that bc they were designed at targeting these interactions which happen all the time.

I started with a nice core of Specs Noivern/Mummy Corvi/Adapt Seismitoad. One commonality among almost all aaa teams is they have some bulky regen or pivot passive uturner, like corviknight, jirachi, silvally, etc. Specs vern lets you do a solid 20 to their noivern check, and mummy corv ensures that the otherwise free-est uturn in all of mons is actually not so free, bc after all chip is dealt, then noivern actually starts making progress against their team as their regen gets low. In addition, with mummy corviknight you force your opponent to make plays via hard switch instead of autopilot uturns, and the more plays you can force your opponent to make, the more opportunity you have to capitalize. Taunt Corviknight also conveniently shuts down PH Lax, another very common soft check to Noivern, making them always think twice about clicking facade. More often than not, if you hard corviknight on their noivern check, you get a really free uturn and can start threatening things with very powerful water/ground stabs that breaks most teams very quickly. Snorlax patches up the giant hole in the special side that I had while generally forcing out passive mons that vern/toad take advantage of. Lax means I need a terrak check and that's scarf mbounce mew making a reappearance here - finally, triage prima adds additional speed control, is a very solid dark resist and a very good wincon too.

w8 Cam vs PG (W)
:Centiskorch: :Gardevoir: :Gengar: :Gyarados: :Obstagoon: :Terrakion:
Jrdn wanted to use gardevoir bc it had a really good matchup vs plas's past teams, while also handling random weather n stuff thanks to trace. I wanted to use webs bc webs + ghosts was really good in stab last gen and pult's ban opened everything up. Centiskorch was the obvious setter of choice, while the rest of the mons just have pretty nice offensive and defensive synergy together. This team has a lot of random tricks that had high potential to come in clutch - colbur gengar could surprise terrak, kesib garde could catch aegi off guard, and protective pads gyara was capable of muscling past ferro/bewear/random helmets all over the meta pretty well. I wasnt completely sure about this team but alt made some changes to it and we had already won the week by the time we played the game so yea.

w9 Alternatif vs Vivalospride (W)
:Dugtrio: :Ferrothorn: :Toxapex: :Rotom-Heat: :Hydreigon: :Sylveon:
This team is definitely one of the ones I'm most proud of building this gen. We wanted to use duggy ever since we realized it was legal in week 7 of ompl, because arena trap is very abusable and autowins a lot of matchups. At first there were ideas to pair duggy with cinderace or aegislash or something but I didn't like the idea of shoehorning speed control and a defensive core into 4 slots so I decided to build from a different perspective. I noticed that there's an abundance of physical attackers in this meta and a lot of teams have a tendency to stack kommo-o + ferrothorn or ferro + corvi or physdef pex + ferro or whatever and I had the idea of just using duggy + ferro to counteract this instead. The idea is duggy can trap a lot of the really-hard-to-check threats like zera, cinderace, terrakion, etc to ease pressure on ferro while it's still incredible at what it does. Rotom-H + Pex completed a nice fwg core. At this point I was a little ghost weak, and while I could've run ttar here maybe, I ended up deciding on hydreigon due to its ability to still check gengar + aegi rly well (with pex's help), be great speed control in its own right, and have switcheroo in case I run up on some random shenanigans. Metronome sylveon completed the puzzle in the last slot - I knew stab is a pretty slow meta so after 1 spin boost sylv outspeeds most of it, and it can be really hard to deal with. As a whole, Duggy's presence on this team is absolutely insane, and honestly makes it so much better than the average balance. I've already described how it eases up pressure on ferro, but also with tox rotomh/pex it can literally sit and sub/protect defensive mons to death. Clicking any nondamaging move after being switcherood by hydra spells potential death by duggy. Finally, yawn sylveon, which is possibly the coolest tech on this team does two things. One, it forces out sylv checks and lets it build metro damage setting up potentially to claim a mon. Two, if say, a ferro kills sylveon after being yawned, it falls asleep and duggy comes in next to claim it. It can be very hard to both break this defensive core and keep your mons outside of duggy range long enough before you eventually just lose. Ban duggy idc abt dlc

w9 vs Stresh (W)
:Hippowdon: :Cobalion: :Golisopod: :Lanturn: :Mew: :Weavile:
I came up with this evil hippo set early into semis tiebreaks that I was saving for the longest time because it worked almost every single test game I used it in. Just like I said above, my goal is to punish noivern checks clicking uturn as an extremely free play, but this set definitely works a little differently from the mummy corv one. Max speed hippo happens to outspeed every common regenvester, and not only that, but in almost all situations the optimal play vs a hippo is to simply click uturn. But even in mus where I don't run into one of those 4 super common mons (i did run into corvi in the actual game), the great part about hippo is that it lures every common mbouncer in the metagame except for mew - corvi, pod, mandi, and even pex all get destroyed by eq/double-edge. I paired it with cobalion bc in combination with hippo lures I can pretty much always get rocks when I want and having AV mons/corv removed for cobalion is incredibly nice. Pod and weavile were two additional nice offensive picks, while lanturn and mew covers pretty much the entire meta base 108 and higher in speed including prio mons. The weav set is really cool - with the damage I knew I could bluff dazzling/mbounce. I was almost certain a lax was coming and I could feasibly bait him into thinking lax 6-0s based on my team comp, clicking low kick on a boosted lax, and critting, all while still bluffing other abilities. Even if lax didn't come though, merciless weav quickly weathers a lot of traditional checks like ph pod and ph prima, while toxic hippo sets up weav to crit dauntless shield mons too. Finally, lanturn was my blanket check of choice. I had theorymonned it since around week 2 but the development of the meta was really kind to it - unlike elecvally, it checks the emerging threats of inteleon, cinderace, and chandelure at the cost of kyurem which I wasnt rly worried about. No bouncer on this team bc I actually had 4 mons I could bluff bounce with so I was pretty confident rocks wouldn't go up till late game at the very least. Was really happy to see both my techs work in game. A bit of a shame that the final crucial aaa game of the season essentially boiled down to fishing but it ees what it ees.

Some thoughts on AAA
Something I learned playing this ompl is that a very underrated skill in AAA is just in reading your opponent's team over the course of a game, especially with how many viable sets every mon has. It's something that I've struggled at juggling personally especially compared to many of the more successful players of this meta, and I'd attribute most, if not all my losses in large part to this. I don't mean anticipating things like banded galvanize hippowdon - but realizing that a dragapult can follow up a shadow ball with a fire blast, or realizing that a dracozolt on a rain team is probably swift swim, or even realizing that an mbounce body press mew could just be cosmic power is often what swings a potential win to a potential loss. People have gotten very creative with building and there's way too many ways to bluff things to simply play a safe, risk-free playstyle, or build teams that cover everything solidly or you will lose to tech #1248. This isn't a bad thing and obviously also doesn't mean consistency is realistically impossible either. For the meta, it definitely means that more offensive teams are favored. I talked about "the ladder special" of 4 fat passive mons + 2 breakers in week 1 and the problems with those types of builds, and I still think those comments are as true as ever. While they can get some matchups, there's simply too much variability in this meta and in a lot of matchups it's possible you're willingfully forfeiting your own ability to outplay and win. If there's been a successful formula this ompl, I think it's been a combination of creativity and extremely solid speed control, as opposed to "oh i need to make sure my team has a dracozolt switchin."The absence of many good reliable offensive mons makes building a little bit constraining at times but hopefully dlc should somewhat free that up.

S/o to my teammates for making this a fun tour experience. Really happy to have met each and every one of you. We've put in great work to get to this point and made tiebreaks against the odds, let's get that last W
And of course, s/o AAA goons for making our collective yearly return to om tours during ompl a special experience as always

Last edited:
I originally wasn't planning on coming back to ps until the dlc dropped. I actually had no idea ompl was happening until I got tagged a bunch of times on discord which made me decide to check out smogon. I figured it would nice to catch up with people and get free lieks so I decided to signup. After the initial excitement died, I found that teambuilding for this gen was not only super limiting but also unfun. The power level differences were actually insane, and defensive mons were incredibly limited. At the end of it all I find myself greatly disliking this gen and will probably not play bh anymore at least until dlc2 drops.

Click the images for the team

Week 1 vs PDT (L)
1592616194978.png
For the first week I was pretty much learning the meta. I thought moldy DarmGZ would be a good pick since PDT had been using fc dragons from the limited battles I've seen. The team is alright but I didn't realize that Corviknight loses to everything and should probably be replaced with a better steel.

Week 2 vs Tack (W)
w2team.PNG
I built this team around mixed smash adapt Zekrom, which is probably one of the most broken shell smash sets this gen. Me and several other bh players came up with this set individually around the same time, which I found to be a funny coincidence. Anyways this team is now illegal but shell smash can probably be replaced sg/qd and it'll still work.

Week 3 vs Loser (W)
w3team.PNG
this team is illegal becuz it uses too much brain power

Week 4 vs Gurp (L)
w4team.PNG
We decided to gentleman to no shell smash so I wanted to bring a more bulkier build. Unfortunately, due to no shell smash I didn't take mixed Reshiram into account when building so it would probably be better to run ff Ferrothorn over mbounce.

Week 5 vs Volkner (W)
w5team.PNG
This was a solid team built around broken mons ZacC and KyuW. They both cover each other and can just voltturn around their checks. The team is a little bit weak to mixed dragons, but Haban Zekrom can help out in a pinch.

Week 7 vs Thinkerino (W)
w7team.PNG
finally the day had come the time for me to take my place in the aaa metagame as a true aaa main that i always was ever since i was born i knew i was destined to play this meta that is basically discount bh if you think about since you use the same 10 mons just like bh but instead they are smaller anyways i knew that in order to defeat the legendary thinkerino that even bh main aesf dodged i would have to train so i decided to build my first aaa team and saw everyone hated gengar so that was my first team member then i decided i wanted to run another broken so i added noivern then i thought my team needed more brokens so i added terrak and kyurem and then i thought maybe i could use another broken so i added weavile and then i added mew becuz every gen8 team needs mew now i was finally ready and so i went onto the aaa ladder but i was waiting for 10 minutes for a game becuz the ladder is dead so i really didnt get that much training in and it turns out running 5 brokens + mew loses to hazards so i knew there was something wrong with the meta becuz i should be able to run 5 brokens and win but i wasnt which means that the smogon is to blame and we should free gigas in mnm becuz gigas is not even broke i know this becuz i took an iq test and it said i have small iq which means that i actually have big iq since everyone lies on the internet pls liek my post

Playoffs vs Gurp (W)
w8team.PNG
Gurp had been spamming spikes every game, so I wanted some solid hazard control. I stole PDT's fc Lunala and came up with mixed sg Reshiram with fishous to beat Primsea Zac, which Gurp had used a bunch. The ZamaC can probably use a better moveset, but I felt the moves were necessary for Gurp.

Finals vs PDT (W)
w9team.PNG
The plan of this team was to literally sweep with ZamaC and abuse the fact that Eternatus usage was downhill. I knew PDT wasn't gonna bring imp, which is why the team gets reverse swept by imp. Don't use this team unless you replace ZamaC with a different set.

Tiebreaker vs PDT(W)
w10team.PNG
I was thinking of bringing the same team, but without the ZamaC lure it wasn't anything special. I decided to build around future sight Mewtwo paired with a physical attacker. The original core was Mewtwo + ZacC + PH Zekrom, which is a lot more destructive but I wanted to play safer so it was replaced.

Shoutouts

GL Volkner PinkDragonTamer xavgb MAMP Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request) and others for testing with me
Jrdn for having faith in me despite me never having played a single game of gen8
aesf for converting to a bh main
TheCoastsOfToast for being my biggest fan

Also s/o to the rest of the Krows for killing it this season let's get this final win

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Blurb about OMPL

I signed up for OMPL without playing much of anything this gen within this subforum. I really genuinely loved both building and playing aaa last gen and at the beginning of the gen I wanted to make a lot of progress within the aaa community specifically. Of course I barely had the motivation to play around in UU so I couldn't force myself into really getting into something like aaa or other oms that differ mechanically from normal tiers. Too much thinking I don't wanna do. Of course tho, OMPL came along and sparked some sort of something into me, I felt at least a little motivated to get into aaa again and even if I ended up on some team I hated riding the bench I woulda enjoyed just building and playing around with the tier and I was fully expecting and prepared for that. That didn't happen and I ended up on a very good team slotted into STAB every single week.

I didn't do much workhorsing but as someone that really enjoys a lot of what this community has to offer I always love OMPL time and I'm happy with my team and how I did even if I feel like I could easily have a few more Ws under my belt. In this post I will show some of the stuff that I built, xavgb rozes and In The Hills were the people I bounced drafts/ideas off of/straight up built for me a few weeks so a lot of credit goes to them. I also don't think any of this is specifically insanely good or something but I think my fundamentals translated into stab building about as well as I could hope.

Teams

W2 MZ vs Thinkerino

Despite this team being the bane of mz's existence for whatever reason I built this for him for W2 and I also built his W1 team but idc much about that one. This one I liked and is probably still usable. I just wanted to do wishport + mamo because mamo looked dece in the matchup and either way mamo w/ wishport sounds nuts. Hydreigon + Corviknight check a large portion of the tier together (mainly ghosts n shit) whilst forming a pivot core that helps get Mamoswine in vs threats. Drei also offers speed control especially with dazzling while corv offers hazard removal. Pex was the blanket mon I needed to help mus vs shit like cinder/prima/etc while synergizing well with Mamoswine + wishport with tspikes. Rak being a generally reliable rocker especially with SD + Adaptability is big here as it gives you the tools to be able to all in on the hazard war with tspikes + wishport + threats as well by your side, also really rounds the team out in terms of offensive presence whilst giving a knock absorber if need be. I believe team is good, did very well in a bunch of tests from both me and stresh.

W2 vs Terracotta

Honeslty I didn't do too much this week, stresh just kinda mentioned Kyurem and I was like >:O and we didn't have a final draft like the day before I played so I started building. Idea was just "how do I chip shit for Kyurem" and ferro was the most obvious answer, for obvious reasons, especially in unison with Sylveon. Ferro's ability + rocky helmet + being a spiker for the team gives Kyurem a ton of breathing room to setup and win late game which is exactly what ended up happening. Sylveon also hard chunks a lot of steels for Kyurem while ttar keeps rocks up reliably and can offensively check a whole slew of the tier such as vcreate mons + ghosts + goon, etc. Aegi gives the breaking power you need on teams like these to really really abuse how hard you wanna win the hazard war here, if Sylveon ever spins away your hazards it either has to deal with getting chipped by ferro or letting aegi in for free and aegi has a distinct lack of consistent switch ins within the tier. Draga was the best option for speed control and is a nice pivot to round everything out as well, also helps lure steels to some extent/cripple things for Kyurem.

W3 vs Zesty

Stresh built this same six without me realizing but I also came up with the same six and ended up using it. I used to be known for spamming sheddy bc I thought I was cool as fuck in like 2017 like a discount christo. I don't really remember why we wanted to use sheddy this week but we did, we ended up with an unwinnable matchup unfortunately :(. The idea was just some zera spikes shit and we decided on sheddy as the spiker I think? Kommo keeps rocks up reliably and sheddy actually spinblocks sylv which is awesome. Incin switches into most of the shit that forces sheddy out like v create users/darks/ghosts/etc. Being able to spam knock itself and having vcreate makes it a nice spikes abuser as well. Sylv + Corv doesn't need much explaining but Sylveon having wish we thought would be sick to help get zera into the late game for cleaning opportunities.

W4 vs Lasen

This game was rough. I think I went into this game like overwhelmingly confident to a point where I just brainlessly button mashed and wasn't paying much attention to the game. I let my ferro get trapped by Corv for no reason bc I didn't realize it revealed pressure and from there it was difficult to win. As for the team tho, I think the team is pretty great, it did extremely well in tests and felt super fluid. The idea was just SD goon + something that really overwhelms steels in unison with it which led to metro sylv being the go-to partner. Ferro is doing ferro things there checking opposing goon and physical draga and all that shit, gives me rocks, self explanatory. Toxapex forms a nice defensive core with ferro obviously, we kept making drafts that were losing to vcreate with like fire resist = draga + rotom and I realized pex glued everything together extremely well as it can also answer fighting types and pivot into Sylv a bit. Dragapult is like one of the only speed control options that worked lol. NP Rotom-H was like all I had when I was thinking of "floating breakers" and it meshed well with everything so badabing.

W5 vs betathunder

This one definitely strays from the standard in stab quite a bit and I don't think it's very solid but honestly I'm p sure I just kinda settled on this that week and was confident I'd win with it. Idea is just that I wanted to use Mimikyu iirc? Mimikyu without spikes is pretty troll in most settings so I pretty much settled on ferro being there from the getgo. Mimikyu + goon is a very solid start to a hazards offense, ghost + dark core, pretty self explanatory especially since their other typings mesh well offensively as well, overwhelming steels quite a bit. Zeraora included and there's gonna be no room for something like an enemy Ferrothorn to breathe unless it wants to never click anything that isn't str sap. Clefable was what we came up with when we realized we had 6 physical attackers and didn't wanna truly fall victim to str sap spam entirely on top of the fact that mmq isn't a true fairy. It ended up working out pretty well. Gyarados was just what I felt glued the team together best in the last slot as it was a ground immunity and helped mu vs fightings and the water typing is nice and all that. Also goon is spin w/ cc to irritate steels more and for hazard removal ofc. Also also, Moxie > Intimidate on Gyarados bc Mirror Armor exists.

W6 vs skysolo

I think this team is pretty dece for webs in this tier. The general idea was just Aegislash, I didn't originally intend on going a webs route but stresh or ith mentioned webs and I was like ye sure. Terrak + Aegi on paper felt like a really disgusting offensive core with rak generally being able to stomach at least one hit from the shit that forces Aegi out like the goon and incin n shit while providing reliable rocks support. Centi was the webber of choice and helps the vcreate mu. Goon is just a beast offensively and clicks buttons, helps aegi/ghost mu in general as something that punishes ghosts for clicking ghost stab and as something that can threaten with sucker or with webs up. Zeraora + Goon I think generally wears down most steels well enough and zera also gives you an elec immunity even tho that's not worth too too much in this context. Speed is also pretty important here. Gyarados again just fit right in as the ground immunity so I didn't auto lose to something like hippo or even excadrill. Unfortunately I got rained and didn't have much of a chance to win :(.

SEMIS vs Terracotta

Terra just spams cheese and scarf garde is pretty anti cheese with trace, I think it has potential to be a pretty dece mon in the tier albiet niche. That was pretty much that whole idea. Somehow we ended up with No Retreat 3 atks Terrak as well tho. Toad works here as a rocker, volt immunity, and mainly water immunity as some water breaker would otherwise completely and utterly run through this w/o difficulty. Corviknight is pretty self explanatory that mon is a beef cake, general pivot/steel. Sylv is also self explanatory and works well with Garde itself as garde can't take on the duties that Sylv as a fairy can. Scarf Garde also helps offensively pressure fighting types which is very valuable for this team. Incineroar spams knock and helps vcreate/ghost mu.

Also built finals team but it's pretty similar to the team I used vs Skysolo just more of a BO approach and it lost so idc about it's existence anymore.

Nothing to be super proud of but I hope I killed any idea that poor stresh just hard slaved for me day in and day out and that me being stab council doesn't make any sense, if not idc. Either way I had a lot of fun this OMPL and I look forward to omwc >:D.

GO SPINDAS :), thank you for drafting and believing in me more than every other manager xavgb

Last edited:

Jrdn

Not a promise, I'm just gonna call it.
What a run from my krows. It was a really fun tournament unfortunately closed out by an ugly finals set which I'll choose not to dwell on (not too hard anyway, kinda shot my motivation to make a dump of any kind, and with WCoP happening this week I'm satisfied leaving my pre-dlc teams be)

Shoutouts:

Krows

aesf - My co manager and my great friend. Had an amazing time calling and watching games, brainstorming teams, and mostly me complaining about random stuff. I know it's not the record you were looking for this time around, but you were an invaluable piece to the team in the form of building and team spirit. OMs is better when you're around man.

Redflix - Going into my draft plan, mix and mega was one of the biggest questions marks for who to get. It was a top heavy tier and when I first bid on you I felt like I was taking a leap of faith. That feeling turned out to be out of ignorance rather than experience because very quickly after I got to know you it became clear you had a complete grasp of the metagame and I never once regretted taking you. You're also unstoppable from the approximate hours of my bed time to my rise time.

highlighter - BIG AAA main. Nah but really what a fucking tournament you had. Even though BH became a chore for you at the end, i personally felt you hit your stride and became dominant down the stretch. Truth be told you weren't a part of my draft plans, but when I saw how CHEAP I could get you for, it completely reworked my draft plan mid-draft because I had to get you. You killed it dude

Cam - I'm sorry that stabmons was not the tier you enjoyed last gen. But nobody can take away that fire ass sun team you made. Hopefully in future om tours with DLCs, tiers will be more fun to play lol.

frisoeva - my DUO. It took a lot for our powerful connection to be severed that's for sure. You were a fucking HERO this tournament and I'm proud to say I knew you could do this from the start. We even lost the same weeks that's how strong our connection is. :psycry: Good luck in WCoP <3

Alternatif - You were an amazing pick up for us. Constantly keeping in touch with multiple metas checking up on pastes, making sure our t's were crossed and our i's were dotted. And when we called on you to play a tier you had little familiarity with you were up to the task no problem. Amazing team member and I'd be happy to team with you again.

Highlord - We couldn't get you in the game too much, but I'm happy we had you still and I hope you enjoyed the tour regardless

Other s/o's
Congrats to xavgb and the spindas on a strong tournament. Stresh you put in a ton of work every week in every facet of the game to ensure that your team was at it's best. People will say what they will about how it ended, but you better be proud because you killed it man. Also sorry if my salt at times got too high, this quarantine shit really brings out the bad in me i swear.

itsKimbo - lol noob

My testing crew - PinkDragonTamer Matiss98 a loser Euphonos Sylveon. and stresh again.

The friends backing us - Racool Catalystic Quagg GL Volkner TheCoastsOfToast

Sorry if I missed anyone. Stay safe OMs, I'll be back (but maybe not as a manager?!)

Redflix

Forgiven and Hanged
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
This ompl being my first team tour was an amazing experience where I got to learn tons of things and met really cool people. I was not very much proven before this so I was very happy that I got a chance to play. Obviously looking at my record , Im a bit disappointed as it could’ve been way better if hax didn’t fuck me up but it is what is. I was gonna post my teams and the thought process behind them but dlc dropped and the mnm meta has changed so its not worth it. However I need to s/o a bunch of people so here goes

To krows : Sucks the way the finals went especially when we were undefeated through out but rng lords really didn’t want us to win. Regardless, u guys are an amazing bunch and im glad I got to meet everyone of u. Kinda bummed that everyone in the team could support multiple tiers while I was struggling with my own but hey, that’s the downside of being in the best team of the tour. Special s/o to quag and toast for helping with their respective tiers, couldn’t have made finals without u guys

To everyone who joined the discord : really appreciate the help and it was very nice meeting u guys. Apart from the crucial help u guys provided, our chat became even more crazier and active thanks to u people and I had a great time being part of it.

A big thanks to Gman, Multi, Chazm and Fardin for testing with me whenever I asked, really appreciate the help.

Lastly Grats to Spindas. I’m still salty about the finals but if any team other than us deserved to win this it were u guys especially with how strong u were.

See u guys soon hopefully

frisoeva

LETS FUCKING NOOOOOOOOOOOO
Man, these finals sucked.

Just wanna give a quick shoutout to Quagg for helping me out learn ss nfe. Dude carried me hard in checking my stuff, giving a bunch of pointers and just telling me what the metagame was like early as well as cheering me on a bunch. Great guy defo get him on your nfe team u nfepl goons.

Also want shoutout Jrdn . Absolute beast, oms really is your domain. Sucks we couldn't get the win this time, I guess the magic has worn off :blobsad: . Regardless, thanks for picking me and trusting me beforehand that I'd learn the meta.

To all the other Krows, was dope to get to know you guys, definitely some super smart players in the team. Hopefully, you guys will do some cool stuff in the future!

EDIT:
here is my team visual, if ppl want to steal
1592777300359.png

CACAW

Last edited:

xavgb

:xavgb:
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
I'm not gonna be explaining most of the teams I used (I'll get to that later) but this OMPL was definitely a huge learning experience for me and far more fun than the other two OMPLs I was in so naturally I'm gonna drop a fucking essay about my experiences mainly as a manager but also as a player even though no one cares.

I'll try and label everything accurately in hide tags so that it's easy to know which part to read.

7) The Spinda Wheels
Too many gaps in this team. Apart from blinkboy, I feel every other slot will just do okay. MZ and PDT might pick up wins in AAA and BH, respectively. Camo and STAB is even less likely. Stresh and team tours is a bad combination.
TI definitely got a lot wrong here but I can see where the sentiment comes from. I participated in a ton of mocks before the draft which helped me out with getting steals but none of that really changed the fact that I had no clue where I needed to spend most. I asked Jrdn about it and he told me to draft big in AAA and get at least one big player but then I completely ignored this advice because I was scared of the top players being motivated solely by quarantine and OMPL and not actually enjoying the tiers to the point where they can win. As a result I got no players over 10.5k other than myself. I think the main thing that tripped me up in the draft was that every expensive player was slightly over my limit of what I thought I was willing to pay for them. After seeing the draft and the early parts of the tour play out I realised I could have easily thrown in a few extra bids on Geerat or Rozes so yeah moral of the story listen to Jrdn lol. That being said the lack of expensive player allowed me to pretty much cherry pick the entire rest of my draft to my liking without worrying about money too much, which was a huge plus. I also feel like, looking at the players I drafted, I didn't necessarily need to have bought anyone over 15k, as I had pretty much everything that was needed for cheaper prices anyway, decent players and support all around to go with a ton of general tour experience and some very strong sub-10k picks. I definitely think a draft like that having the tools to succeed is a fringe occurence and wouldn't work most of the time if you picked different players, but at the same time it was interesting to see that you don't necessarily have to chuck out tons of money to get results.

As for the individual picks in the metas, I was pretty confident after watching PDT win with no help throughout last year that I could get a lot out of him with my support, and I also knew from experience that he's a hugely involved member in team chats in general which is a requirement for having fun which is usually a requirement for success. I was a big fan of Viv in general as a player and felt he could provide useful support and add to the team dynamic, the intention wasn't to start him in STABmons for the whole tour but that was what ended up working out. I definitely felt like the NFE pool was super underpriced this year. Yeah there's definitely a lot more options for drafting in NFE than the other OMs but I'm not sure this justifies the fact that no player went for more than 8.5 in that meta iirc? Top players in literally every other OM go up to 20k almost, idk whether part of NFE being cheap was also to do with lack of hype attached to big names in the tier by managers but in any case this was a good place to start when trying to win the draft. As NFE was the cheapest meta and the one I could contribute to the least I wanted to have two very strong picks in the slot, which left blinkboy as a standout option because I felt he was genuinely good enough at mons to be slotted into the likes of STAB for some weeks. Obviously I didn't really realise just how burned out blink was with the game and that was partially on me, I wasn't expecting huge amounts of activity but leaving Leo completely alone in NFE was never the plan. Ham was someone I wanted to nom early because my Camo plans depended on whether or not I was actually getting him, idt 8k for Ham in general can ever be a bad idea so I was pretty happy with that. I knew from experience that the Mix and Mega pool was ALWAYS overpriced compared to the spread of records normally seen in OMPL, every time there's some super cheap players with solid runs and then 20k players who get cheesed a few times and suddenly it's hard to justify shelling out money for MnM. Jordy was an easy choice for me as I knew I didn't want to spend the whole tour starting in MnM, and I knew Jordy well enough to know that he can get good at building in any tier in a short amount of time. I also really enjoyed co-managing with Jordy in CAPPL so that was a very easy buy for 5.5k especially seeing the prices thrown at just about anyone who had built a name in the tier last gen. MZ was someone I was interested in for a while after showing the ability to beat a bunch of players in Open with pretty outdated teams. At that point the AAA pool had been bled pretty significantly by jrdn and geerat taking up slots in Camo instead of AAA, forcing those teams to get their own AAA players which led to a lopsided and pretty expensive pool where only a couple of players actually ended up being "worth it" from a record perspective. I'm pretty sure Jrdn also warned of this exact scenario but I didn't really appreciate this until seeing it in action and watching the managers who didn't yet have an AAA player scrambling to crazy prices (see Sabella being 13k in Gen 8 while earlier noms such as Racool go for around 10k). Of course I was always able to sub into AAA unlike the other managers but I had no reason not to make an attempt to get a good AAA slot since I was rich at that point in the draft anyway. From there I was looking to fill out the draft with support picks, mostly in metas where I didn't see myself helping like Camo and then I had 8k left over and wanted a BH sub + a generally good player and I got both of those (though I didn't really need either that much).

With the benefit of hindsight I absolutely could have been more efficient in the draft as I still had 8k for subs even when I had 9 players, but ultimately I'm kinda glad I didn't go for a similar draft plan to the other managers just because I think it's more interesting for the tour and I wouldn't have had the chance to work with some of the players I picked which was the best part of managing for me.

I'll start off by saying that I think I did super well when it came to managing the team during the tour, and I'm proud of myself for that, but at the same time there were many points where I needed encouragement from others to not fall apart as a manager and I did definitely find it a bit stressful. One of the things I noticed about drafting a flexible lineup and also being a flexible player is that it put a lot of pressure on me as a manager to make the right calls for lineups. For the most part we settled on a lineup with me in AAA and then 29k worth of players in the other 5 slots which goes back to my point about being inefficient in the draft. There were definitely points where I regretted my lineup choices briefly, such as slotting myself in Week 2 vs Andy and in Week 4 vs Rozes only to realise I didn't have the slightest clue of how I was actually going to win either of these games. There was a point during both weeks where I straight up felt guilty for fucking up the lineup since I couldn't figure out how to prep until very close to my games and didn't feel particularly confident in either case. That being said after managing to win both games I trusted my initial judgement much more, whereas for the first few weeks pretty much everything I did from drafting to lineups to prepping featured me second-guessing myself and just generally lacking confidence. Luckily for me, even in the early weeks Jordy and PDT were very helpful in getting the team on track after a somewhat sloppy first two weeks, and that set us on a good path from Week 3 onwards where we won the next 4 weeks straight. I also think resting myself for Week 6 and 7 was a good call, I desperately needed to be playing as few games as possible on my burnout phase and I managed to hold myself together for playoffs just enough to at least win my tiebreak games. My tier choices in both tiebreaks also worked out, and bringing back Ham for finals was a call I'm now very proud of. While I think I did well managing the starters, I do feel a bit bad for the fact that I barely used 4 of the people I drafted, but that's largely down to having too many players considering the Week 3-6 lineup was working so well.

I'm not sure if I'd manage again, like I said it was definitely tough at times, but drafting and being able to control who was on my team was hella fun, and also working with (not for) my players was a great experience. Looking at what we rolled with for most of the tour I actually think any manager could draft this fairly comfortably even when paying my full price as a player instead of a player-manager, so while 16k buy-ins did add to my incentive to manage a bit, that part of my justification for managing probably wasn't a big deal anyway.

Yep. I still hate playing OMPL. To be fair this time it was largely down to me not really seeing much longevity in any of the limited Gen 8 OMs, especially as I had already spent a lot of time on them for Slam, but yeah for the most part I was literally just grinding to try and deliver the team a win every week. Ever since OMWC last year I started taking a different attitude to team tours where I kinda just figure out what I'm doing on the day before or the day of my game and focus on helping everyone I can up until I need to prep myself. I heavily indulged in some pretty lazy prep as a result, looking to keep things in AAA pretty standard and take advantage of the wide variety of offensive cores that can be used until about 3 weeks into playing AAA where i ran out of offensive cores to use because Gen 8 is epic. This is also why I'm not doing team analysis because I was very specifically building to give myself the best chance I could in the game while rushing the prep, instead of my usual approach of trying to further the meta with consistent teams. It was interesting to see how easily some things like Zolt and Cinder and 5 fat mons + a Dragapult could get nice matchups, the fact that this is my best OMPL record yet definitely kinda sours my opinion on the skill of "prep" in these tours, really just do whatever and focus on the playing and it'll probably work out better than fretting over every little thing throughout the week. This was a common sentiment among a lot of players during this OMPL, and it seems we have sadly reached a point where ignoring the possibility of some matchups can be optimal prep. As such I find it hard to take much credit for most of my teams because they're just not at the standard I'd usually expect from my own building. I'll drop the teams near the bottom of this post anyway and I will drop a description in the pokepaste for the rain team i brought in finals tiebreak since I think I finally managed to get something pretty consistent out of the style.

I also thought I'd give some commentary on some drafts from the other teams that I thought were smart during this tour. Some of this may be pretty obvious but maybe it'll be useful if people look back on this for whatever reason.

AAA: Rozes (16k), Racool (10.5k), LaBalladeDesCieux (3.5k)

Like I said before, the AAA pool ended up really weird so the smart drafts were basically the two builders who had the most involvement in Gen 8 so far, and also imo the strongest cheap sub option that was drafted in the tour from watching the games. I don't have much else to say here but yeah given Rozes and Racool's records I'm definitely seeing the value of focusing on getting top tier AAA players in particular.

BH: dimrah (4k), Alternatif (3k), abriel gabram (3.5k)

BH support/subs are hugely important to get alongside most of the main BH pool, but a common trend I see in OMPL is that managers need to get BH support so badly that they fall back on just about anyone decent. I decided to highlight dimrah here because he was an obvious steal at that price provided he didn't die on discord, and then the other two are mentioned here because unlike most BH support picks, they actually have the ability to contribute to other parts of the teamcord than the BH channel, and can effectively sub in more than one meta. As far as pure BH support goes, Chessking was probably the strongest option as a builder, so that was another good option BH-wise.

Camo: Yeah I'm leaving this one alone I won't talk too much about Camo, the meta as a whole was kind of a free-for-all and no top player outside of Jrdn got a better record than 4-3 so cheap = smart in this case.

MnM: Andyboy (23k), Redflix (9.5k)

As far as playing goes, I think Andy was definitely the strongest MnM player this tour and his playing skill was relevant to pretty much all the games he won, digging himself out of some tough matchups largely by playing more accurately than his opponents. In that sense, even for 23k SBPC got a lot of purchase out of that buy. Redflix had an unfortunate tour with several hax-ridden games, but overall his motivation to play the tier as well as the other picks being generally overpriced made this a really solid draft.

NFE: Frisoeva (8.5k), Thimo (3k), Crystalites (6k)

Again there's not much to say here, everyone was super cheap so literally anyone who did well over a long period of games was a good draft because a 5k price range across the whole pool barely matters.

STAB: Plas (7k)

Only one player named here because pretty much everyone in this tier got an even record except for Plasgoat, unfortunately he decided to hibernate after winning his first 5 weeks because I guess the pool was too easy for him. As far as I can tell he had a bit more support than most STAB players but that seemed to still fit in nicely with the Tyrantrums squad so this was definitely a smart pickup.

In terms of overall drafting, looking at how the player pools turned out for each meta I'd definitely say the best places to invest extra money were in AAA, NFE, and BH, with the other three pools having a bunch of players with roughly even records for fairly cheap prices. This may be worth thinking about next year too because that makes these metas the main places where it's viable to pick up multiple cheap picks and rotate them.

TEAMS

MnM:
https://pokepast.es/089d03567080bfcc (Week 3 Jordy vs Multi)
https://pokepast.es/ccb507256ce5fff4 (Semis Tiebreak vs Andyboy)
https://pokepast.es/74cae23a14058f3b (Finals Tiebreak vs Jrdn)

AAA:
https://pokepast.es/1a0091ef7c46161e (Week 3 vs Sabella)
https://pokepast.es/1264ac9d4ead4818 (Week 4 vs Rozes)
https://pokepast.es/fcac31a419122ded (Week 5 vs Itskimbo)
https://pokepast.es/e6c8d07084a7f9e0 (Semis vs Thinkerino, originally intended for Racool)
https://pokepast.es/1eb95f03be5d235d (Finals vs Aesf)

BH:
https://pokepast.es/b89c229082c547d9 (Week 1 PDT vs Highlighter)
https://pokepast.es/1db1687ec25e5807 (Week 4 PDT vs A loser)

SHOUT-OUTS

Jordy

[19:39] @stresh: .5.5
[19:39] *Scrappie: stresh[The Spinda Wheels]: 5500.
[19:39] Chazm: .overpay
[19:39] *Scrappie: /announce OVERPAY!
[19:39] *Scrappie: 5 seconds remaining!
[19:40] *Scrappie: The Spinda Wheels has bought Jordy for 5500!

I recall asking you before the tour whether you had any interest in picking up Gen 8 MnM for this OMPL, and then from there I kinda roped you into co-managing I guess, but I'm so glad you said yes because otherwise I'm not actually sure who I would have drafted for MnM. You completely bailed me out Week 1 and Week 2 when I was really struggling to find inspiration in the tier, and carried on with a solid record as a player yourself which was super handy for the team, and helped me out as a manager too. Unfortunate that you got haxed by Chazm after the above log and you literally breaking the tier with Demon Mew but it seems everything turned out fine anyway. I hope to see more of you in future MnM tours esp once the meta gets less restrictive, I think you're definitely still developing as a player and it'll be interesting to see just how good you can get at this tier in the future.

Hamhamhamhamham

I put you in vs Jrdn twice, Geerat, and Friso in the space of 5 games and you somehow won twice???? 2-3 is a deceptive record for you this tour in every way, it undersells how strong the opponents i put you against were, it undersells the Camomons BS that you had to go through at the start of the tour, it undersells the importance of your two wins in finals, and it hugely undersells the amount of effort you put into learning Camomons and helping out every week. I'm beyond happy that you were the one to save us in finals, because honestly you absolutely deserved the start for all the work you put in. I'm almost disappointed in the other managers that they didn't bid you past, you're a beast of a player, nothing can change that.

MZ

I forgot how to tag your name for a solid 30 seconds... mons can be a bitch sometimes and Gen 8 AAA even moreso, I'm sorry that the matchups didn't really work out, personally I blame gen 8 for being bad but everyone already knew that. It was nice that you dipped in to give comments on teams here or there, especially in NFE as Leo was p much alone in that channel for most of the tour.

PinkDragonTamer

I'm happy that I got to take advantage of maybe the last sighting of sub-10k PDT ever. BH was super rough this tour but outside of the bullshit you dominated and worked hard every week for 11 games straight which is insane, helped test in other tiers, and helped me out a bunch as a manager. I'm not even sure it's possible to give more to a team than you did, and building BH together is probably the most fun I'm ever going to have building BH. Next time you will go 11-0, or actually 9-0 since I don't want to wish double tiebreak on anyone.

vivalospride

As I've said before, I didn't intend to stick you in STABmons for the whole tour, but it just felt optimal after seeing how well you did the first two weeks. Ik mons fuckin SUCKS but i genuinely enjoyed watching you play STAB even if you didnt enjoy playing some of the games as much. You're honestly a super solid and hardworking player, I'm lowkey surprised it took this long for you to get an extended starting run in an OM tour.

King Leo V

Ahhhh the one person on this site with even worse Wi-Fi than me it seems. Straight from Week 1 you were bringing a new angle to NFE that I hadn't really seen watching most other NFE players and i thought that was awesome. When I finally got to starting you in Week 3 you were so hyped to play and then I saw your plays in the game vs 85percent and I just knew you were the GOAT and I was genuinely excited to watch you play NFE every week. The matchups got gradually harder I think but you even made me doubt that for a second with how fire you were at playing your way out of difficult situations every time. I also think it's super cool that you showed enough versatility to use BO, balance, and stall, in a tier that's known to heavily encourage BO to the point where nearly everyone uses it all the time. What a hype player to have on the team honestly.

Havens

You saved the Camomons slot at a point where it was in real trouble and I'm very thankful to you for that. I loved seeing the range of ideas you came up with in the team channel too, you're a super fire builder for sure. As usual with Camo, matchups can still be rough at some times but you did really well.

Alkione anaconja

I really gave you guys one game between the two of you. That was definitely unfortunate, but I still hope to see you both back for more OM tours in the future, it should be fun.

In The Hills Clefable Jho

Having helpers from the start of the tour was actually pretty cool, I feel like you guys added a lot of life to the discord and made managing easier for me in general. Mengy is hilarious btw just for anyone reading this he's great to be around.

rozes

Thanks for joining the discord for playoffs and being really helpful, as well as being a voice of reason that I desperately needed while I was on tilt in playoffs. You were also unstoppable in AAA this year, really enjoyed watching you win games you probably shouldn't have via pure skill.

MultiAmmiratore Marsopa Trump & Test Rex berry

Y'all were super chill to be around, great to have you in the discord.

Jrdn

I guess I might as well shout you out for just about everything here. Thanks for all the managing advice and for letting me rant about stuff that I was way too worried about for no reason. Thanks for inadvertently getting me into Camomons (I still hate it I swear) and helping me test in AAA in the earlier weeks. Also huge credit on the Krows' run this season, y'all should have had it but mons is mons I guess, it was still nice to see you prove that you're a dominant manager yet again, and also seeing you come out with a monstrous record just in case anyone forgot how good you were on the playing front. Next time I'll remember to pay closer attention to your advice at all points, seems like a goldmine honestly.

Rest of the AAA community

Before this tour I would have definitely said I'm more in touch with the MnM community than any other OM community, but with everyone coming back for OMPL, I thought it was awesome how often I was able to get high level games even just for testing. A lot of you guys I didn't really interact with that much before OMPL, but I feel like I'm much more of a part of the AAA community now, mostly because y'all are so nice wtf.

Oh and also S/O Andyboy cause I do this every time I win.

Finally this is done, now I can move onto trying to fix these DLC metas whew.

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
I'm not sure if I'd manage again, like I said it was definitely tough at times, but drafting and being able to control who was on my team was hella fun, and also working with (not for) my players was a great experience.
hahahaah xavgb locked in a basement building my teams for 9 weeks was great...but if you and jrdn are both unsure about managing next year i guess i will have to play for the bathroom blisseys.. :(

i already said a bit about my tour in the main thread but im not gonna drop my teams or explain them cuz i cannot be asked and the metas are nuked in 2 sec anyways and ssnl is still going on. this ompl was really fun and my teammates were really great, even if the metas were pretty depressing at times. imma brag on stresh a bit bc he wont brag on himself but he was like spiderman holding the splitting boat together with his fuckin webs, not to say our team was dying without him but he was a majority of the mnm (jordy kept stresh from deleting the metagame), bh (carried), stab (viv and ith did great work), and aaa (s/o rozes) help throughout the tour, and of course tested/helped in camo (free camo pdt) and nfe (rip blink) too. he sucks at motivating the team which was fine because he had me to spam phrases such as MY KING and PUT YOUR OPP IN THE DIRT and GOATTT LETS GOOO PUT YOUR DICK ON THE TABLE, and in all seriousness led by example through his help/playing.

nooooo my recycling

I'm happy that I got to take advantage of maybe the last sighting of sub-10k PDT ever.
i will literally leak teams and misclick weeks proportional to how high my price goes

indiv shoutouts
xavgb i already talked about your managing and playing a bit but i was so glad i was on your team and you were great at managing even if it took years off your life. stick around as manager if you find the energy :)
vivalospride fuck u loser get some wins in agpl before i acknowledge your greatness... but your plays are pretty sauce and your muscles are pretty big so w/e i guess. free stab pdt
Jordy you were really nice and kept starch sane and i was rlly hyped when u pulled some mad triggers in your mnm games this year good shit lad
King Leo V the player who never failed to turn me up, you were really nice and when you posted your teams 20 min before the match bc nobody else was there to help you in nfe and mz saying looks standard + solid 5 min before you play was a sequence of events i looked forward to every week. MY KING
Hamhamhamhamham bro u had a rough start but like u were still goated in most of those games in camomons is like bh with matchups sometimes... then u had heart of the cards in finals and clutched it for us insane even with a bit of fortune in tiebreak, you were very nice you will get the X-0 in teamtours like you deserve someday
Havens i had a lot of fun playing camo with you and you were very open to my ideas even though i was basically just going off my very limited knowledge. you held it together throughout the season in camo and didnt complain when ham was slotted in the finals which was v awesome, i know we will crush it together on team south this year our team is goated
MZ shit didnt go your way in the actual games and i know how you feel about ompl, but it was very cool to have experience like you on the team. teamed w you every ompl and we've only improved in performance from year to year :cwl:
Alkione dude tried to play his one stab game in the waiting room of a hospital.... also please forget about the misclick or else i will never speak to you again. you were very awesome to talk to and i definitely want to team again
anaconja ive gotten pretty picky about my building process in bh and ik you werent super active in our cord, but it was nice to know we had a goat in the back if something happened to me. you had some really cool ideas in bh and they were much more creative than my spamming fc and ice scales and never bringing imposter
In The Hills i cant seem to escape from you but your stab help and general support was rlly appreciated :) ofc south will be op in omwc this year so we're gonna fuckin crush it. yeehaw
Clefable camo sleeper if he would actually sign up for tournaments... literally so good at mons, you are so interesting to talk to and it was really fun to be in the same disc. also helped me insult viv which was pretty awesome
Jho we didnt talk much but you always watched the games and gave us support which was rlly nice, i will now proceed to ruin agpl
MultiAmmiratore thanks for saving stresh, we didnt talk much but you helped us out and were very nice
rozes thanks for saving stresh, i always learn new stuff when talkin mons w you and your crazy sets are funny, hope we can team together sometime
Marsopa Trump & Test Rex i enjoyed your memes and your crazy bh ideas, see you around my favorite spainard
berry being around you is bad for my ego but i appreciated your gassing, go defeat josh in minigolf or something
GL Volkner thanks for letting me complain about bh and my mistakes to you and testing bh with me even though testing bh sucks. i love you even if i tell you opposite every day !
highlighter you always tested with me after stresh decided that his internet would be perpetually broken when i needed games bc i burnt him out with tests in the first 4 weeks. you were very nice and i will get revenge on you for defeating me in finals someday.
Jrdn ik you wanted this ompl just as badly as i did, so even if i feel happy i also feel a bit sad. you were really fun to talk life/mons with and i even learned camo bc you wouldnt stop spamming me with tests. i will return the favor in agpl dont get it fucked up. keep managing bc you are a great one and itd be a loss for the community and also so that manager pdt doesnt have to be freed
aesf you were really fun to talk to throughout ompl, and especially when you got into bh a bit. youre a sick player and goddamn we are so stacked for omwc
blinkboy i wanted to free the fuck out of you after leo had a xavgb moment in finals tiebreak, but unfortunately we could not find your snapchat or instagram quickly enough in order to revive you from the dead. idk if you will ever see this but if you do i had fun the first couple weeks + leo carried on your legacy magnificently
Betathunder always cheered me on and told me to text him whenever i started to play but i always got nervous before so i never did once LOL <3

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Throughout this tour I've been posting various stats I've calculated, using them to do things like calculating odds of winning (with poor results in the end but whatever). Now that the tour is over and I have my computer back I'm going to post finalized analyses and rankings.

Part 1: Price per win
Price per win divides price spent on a player by the number of wins they got in an attempt to determine the most efficient buys of the draft. The primary flaw of this method is that it completely overlooks losses.

Anyone who did not win at all was given a value of Error because that's how math works. They (and everyone else) are sorted by descending order of win differential, AKA fewer losses at the top for those who didn't win, and then by ascending price, aka cheaper players at the top.

I won't be doing team averages because, as it turns out, when every team has the same amount of money to start the only thing that really changes is total number of wins. So yeah Krows did the best there :bloblul:

The median is 4000 per win, with Funbot28 and Chazm straddling the middle.
The mean EXCLUDING people who didn't win, and are thus incalculable, is 3377.264031.
The total price per win (total amount spent / total wins), and thus theoretically the mean, is 3322.91666....
The most common price per win (besides div by 0 error) is 3500.

It's King Leo V! Bustin' out onto the tour scene.
source
Rank - Player Team Price Wins Price per Win

1 - King Leo V Spindas 3000 7 428.5714286
2 - Thimo Corviknights 3000 4 750
3 - TJ Parasects 3000 3 1000
4 - frisoeva Honchkrows 8500 8 1062.5
5 - Crystalites Magearnas 6000 5 1200

RankNameTeamPriceWinsPrice per Win
6TerracottaCorviknights500041250
7HavensSpindas400031333.333333
8JordySpindas550041375
9PlasTyrantrums700051400
10vivalosprideSpindas700051400
11LasenMisdreavuses450031500
12AlternatifHonchkrows300021500
13PinkDragonTamerSpindas950061583.333333
14abriel gabramMisdreavuses350021750
15jrdnHonchkrows1600082000
16highlighterHonchkrows1400072000
17ThinkerinoCorviknights1000052000
18RacoolTyrantrums1050052100
19Zesty43Parasects850042125
20dimrahMagearnas450022250
21xavgbSpindas1600072285.714286
22CamHonchkrows700032333.333333
23PigeonsKlinks950042375
24RedflixHonchkrows950042375
25Gurpreet Patel (Sent You a Friend Request)Tyrantrums1500062500
26TonyFlygonKlinks750032500
27rozesMisdreavuses1600062666.666667
28MetaRiolu7Corviknights800032666.666667
29The Number ManTyrantrums300013000
30FardinMagearnas300013000
31Matiss98Magearnas1300043250
32EuphonosMisdreavuses1300043250
3385percentParasects350013500
34LaBalladeDesCieuxKlinks350013500
35itsKimboKlinks350013500
36SkysoloTyrantrums1050033500
37Andyb0yCorviknights2300063833.333333
38funbot28Magearnas1600044000
39chazmMisdreavuses1600044000
40Anime SansKlinks400014000
41HamhamhamhamhamSpindas850024250
42Ho3nConfirm3dTyrantrums850024250
43MarjaneCorviknights450014500
44SabellaParasects1350034500
45AkashiTyrantrums450014500
46aesfHonchkrows1850044625
47MAMPCorviknights1500035000
48Sylveon.Parasects2050045125
49a loserKlinks1650035500
50betathunderKlinks650066500
51MultiammiratoreParasects2050036833.333333
52sugarhighParasects750017500
53GL VolknerMagearnas1600028000
54gmansour20Magearnas800018000
55Tack :]Misdreavuses850018500
56DugZaKlinks950019500
57Dj BreloominatiCorviknights35000#DIV/0!
58ChaitanyaKlinks40000#DIV/0!
59anaconjaSpindas40000#DIV/0!
60pileosandCorviknights50000#DIV/0!
61SuperSkyLakeMisdreavuses30000#DIV/0!
62Chessking345Tyrantrums30000#DIV/0!
63Lancer FrKlinks30000#DIV/0!
64jasproseKlinks30000#DIV/0!
65HighlordHonchkrows35000#DIV/0!
66PurpleGatoradeTyrantrums35000#DIV/0!
67MonsareeasyTyrantrums35000#DIV/0!
68AlkioneSpindas40000#DIV/0!
69drampa's grandpaTyrantrums60000#DIV/0!
70blinkboySpindas80000#DIV/0!
71DF-ShockParasects30000#DIV/0!
72uhuhuhu7Corviknights30000#DIV/0!
73Quantum TesseractKlinks95000#DIV/0!
74MegazardSpindas105000#DIV/0!
75w0rdMisdreavuses115000#DIV/0!
76DurzaOffTopicMisdreavuses40000#DIV/0!
77Mark KTyrantrums50000#DIV/0!
78DragonillisMagearnas115000#DIV/0!
Part 2: Win Differential
Win differential is a really simple way to analyze players: who won more than they lost to the greatest degree. It's different from Price per win in that it really doesn't care about how much you were drafted for, but only about performance. Unlike some of the analyses I do later on, this does not look at the quality of your opponent at all.

The mean win differential is 0. I didn't do any math for that, I just know that if it isn't we have a problem because it means someone won or lost without someone else doing the opposite.
The most common win differential was -1 with 19 occurrences, closely follow by +1 with 17 occurrences.
The median win differential was 0.

There was a three-way tie for first and a seven-way tie for second (or fourth? I'm putting fourth, IDK). The players are sorted by number of wins and then by cost, but I don't really think that's something to take into account, it's more to keep things consistent.

One Krow Two Krow Three Kr- Oh wait it's Leo again

Rank - Name Team Record Win Differential

1 - jrdn Honchkrows 8-2 6
1 - frisoeva Honchkrows 8-2 6
1 - King Leo V Spindas 7-1 6
4 - xavgb Spindas 7-2 5
4 - highlighter Honchkrows 7-2 5
4 - rozes Misdreavuses 6-1 5
4 - Gurpreet Patel (Sent You a Friend Request) Tyrantrums 6-1 5
4 - Racool Tyrantrums 5-0 5
4 - Plas Tyrantrums 5-0 5
From here on I don't care about ties for rank I'm just zooming down the list.

RankNameRecordDifferential
10Andyb0y6-33
11Crystalites5-23
12Thinkerino5-32
13Pigeons4-22
14Lasen3-12
15PinkDragonTamer6-51
16vivalospride5-41
17Sylveon.4-31
18funbot284-31
19chazm4-31
20Matiss984-31
21Euphonos4-31
22Zesty434-31
23Jordy4-31
24Terracotta4-31
25Thimo4-31
26Havens3-21
27TJ3-21
28dimrah2-11
29abriel gabram2-11
30Alternatif2-11
31Marjane1-01
32Redflix4-40
33TonyFlygon3-30
34GL Volkner2-20
35Anime Sans1-10
3685percent1-10
37pileosand0-00
38Chaitanya0-00
39anaconja0-00
40Dj Breloominati0-00
41aesf4-5-1
42Multiammiratore3-4-1
43a loser3-4-1
44Sabella3-4-1
45MetaRiolu73-4-1
46Cam3-4-1
47Hamhamhamhamham2-3-1
48LaBalladeDesCieux1-2-1
49itsKimbo1-2-1
50The Number Man1-2-1
51drampa's grandpa0-1-1
52Alkione0-1-1
53Highlord0-1-1
54PurpleGatorade0-1-1
55Monsareeasy0-1-1
56SuperSkyLake0-1-1
57Chessking3450-1-1
58Lancer Fr0-1-1
59jasprose0-1-1
60Skysolo3-5-2
61gmansour201-3-2
62sugarhigh1-3-2
63Fardin1-3-2
64blinkboy0-2-2
65MAMP3-6-3
66Ho3nConfirm3d2-5-3
67DugZa1-4-3
68betathunder1-4-3
69Akashi1-4-3
70w0rd0-3-3
71Megazard0-3-3
72Quantum Tesseract0-3-3
73DF-Shock0-3-3
74uhuhuhu70-3-3
75Tack :]1-5-4
76Mark K0-4-4
77DurzaOffTopic0-4-4
78Dragonillis0-6-6

Part 3: Cuteness

1 Gmansour
Not 1 Everyone else
ahem

Part 3: ELO
Here's where we start to get into the stuff I've been talking about more than anyone wanted to hear. ELO is the most commonly used method of comparing rankings on PS, as it tends to be very easy to understand once generated. It goes up when you win and down when you lose. Beating someone with a higher ELO gives you more points than a lower one, and losing to someone with a higher ELO loses you fewer points.

The ELO you will see here is not quite the same as used on PS however. Besides some variables that were changed to make the numbers noticeably change in a relatively small number of battles, I did not floor ELO at 1000. This means that 1000 is an average rating rather than the worst one possible. What this in effect means, is please, please do not compare your ELO here to anything you might achieve on a ladder. They're too different, even if they were derived in similar ways.

I'll discuss the issues with this in the next section as they're very similar to the ones encountered there.

The mean ELO was 1000. If it was anything else it meant I messed up, because every match has net 0 gain.
The median ELO fell between 992 and 988
The most common ELO was 1000, which was people who didn't play and Geerat, who somehow managed to get back to 1000 precisely.

TeamELORank
Corviknights1006.93
Honchkrows1058.751
Klinks970.66666678
Magearnas985.8756
Misdreavuses994.33333335
Parasects975.6257
Spindas1017.4545452
Tyrantrums998.33333334

I'd be lion if I said I wasn't reaching looking for Leo-related images

Rank - Name Team ELO
1 - King Leo V Spindas 1250
2 - highlighter Honchkrows 1234
3 - Plas Tyrantrums 1205
4 - rozes Misdreavuses 1190
5 - Racool Tyrantrums 1179
NameTeamELORank
xavgbSpindas11686
Gurpreet Patel (Sent You a Friend Request)Tyrantrums11527
frisoevaHonchkrows11348
CrystalitesMagearnas11229
jrdnHonchkrows111310
ThinkerinoCorviknights111310
LasenMisdreavuses109212
PigeonsKlinks109113
Matiss98Magearnas109014
Andyb0yCorviknights107515
JordySpindas105416
abriel gabramMisdreavuses105217
dimrahMagearnas105118
AlternatifHonchkrows104919
HamhamhamhamhamSpindas104820
TerracottaCorviknights104421
EuphonosMisdreavuses103922
MarjaneCorviknights103922
chazmMisdreavuses103724
TonyFlygonKlinks103225
Anime SansKlinks103225
funbot28Magearnas102927
Zesty43Parasects102828
a loserKlinks102729
aesfHonchkrows102630
TJParasects102630
ThimoCorviknights102432
Sylveon.Parasects100033
ChaitanyaKlinks100033
anaconjaSpindas100033
pileosandCorviknights100033
Dj BreloominatiCorviknights100033
MetaRiolu7Corviknights99338
85percentParasects99239
HavensSpindas98840
PinkDragonTamerSpindas98741
vivalosprideSpindas98442
RedflixHonchkrows98343
MultiammiratoreParasects98044
itsKimboKlinks97945
GL VolknerMagearnas97846
CamHonchkrows97647
SuperSkyLakeMisdreavuses97448
SabellaParasects97448
The Number ManTyrantrums96750
MonsareeasyTyrantrums96051
drampa's grandpaTyrantrums95752
HighlordHonchkrows95553
SkysoloTyrantrums95254
Chessking345Tyrantrums95254
Lancer FrKlinks95056
Ho3nConfirm3dTyrantrums94957
AlkioneSpindas94758
LaBalladeDesCieuxKlinks94059
sugarhighParasects93960
PurpleGatoradeTyrantrums93960
jasproseKlinks93262
gmansour20Magearnas93163
betathunderKlinks92364
MAMPCorviknights91465
blinkboySpindas90866
AkashiTyrantrums90067
FardinMagearnas89568
DugZaKlinks87269
w0rdMisdreavuses87070
Quantum TesseractKlinks87070
Mark KTyrantrums86872
uhuhuhu7Corviknights86773
DF-ShockParasects86674
MegazardSpindas85875
Tack :]Misdreavuses85176
DurzaOffTopicMisdreavuses84477
DragonillisMagearnas79178

Part 4: Glicko and GXE
After I had done ELO for a little while someone (Regirock maybe? IDK anymore) suggested I do Glicko too. Glicko is technically more accurate than ELO, although somewhat more difficult to look at, because instead of giving you one number it gives you two; one which is your ranking and one which is the margin of error. This can make it a little difficult to compare ratings, but is overall a better picture of what an actual ranking is. These rankings only have meaning within the pool of players

GXE (Glicko X-Act Estimate) is a percentage derived from Glicko which estimates your chance of defeating a random opponent from the pool. I believe this rating is unique to Smogon, and it certainly originated here.
Here's the thread where I picked up the details of GXE and stole the formula from, if you're interested. It also has an explanation for why it's X-Act, right at the top if you look ;)

Glicko / GXE have similar issues to ELO in this tour; we don't have a huge sample size for battles, making our data less accurate. This is not fixable really, in this type of analysis. And if our goal is to look back at a tour rather than look forward and predict it does the job. It also does not address that this tour has a rather complicated pool. By this I mean we have both the complete pool of players, all stacked up against each other, and then the pools for each individual metagame, which have some overlap with players like that xavgb guy playing several metas multiple times. I addressed this by not addressing it. It would likely be more accurate to do separate pools for each metagame, and given that there isn't a huge amount of overlap I don't think it would hurt our overall sampling size too much, but that's a large amount of work for another time.

It's also notable that later games had a larger effect on the end ratings than the earlier ones. In a setting like this this seems unfair due to the way the tour works (you're not playing better players later necessarily, just when you're scheduled against them), but the way I know to fix it requires more math than I am, unfortunately, capable of. If you're interested in what the fix is I recommend checking out this thread and searching for K factor.

Note that I sorted by Glicko and did not account for the potential deviance from it. Just to keep things a little more simple. The average Glicko is just about 1500, where everyone started, although it doesn't necessarily stay exactly there. The average GXE is just around 50%, with I believe similar deviance to Glicko. It's not really worth calcing for the entire pool.

The theoretical maximum GXE in the number of rounds we had is 96.67. The theoretical minimum is 3.33. These were not actually obtainable in this tour due to the pool size. We'd need literally thousands (2048, or 2^number of weeks) of people playing per round for it to be even possible, as players would need to only play people who had won / lost versus people who had only won / lost etc. every round, and a LOT more people would be needed for anyone to be likely to get the opportunity. The maximum Glicko would be 2409, the minimum 591, with a similar caveat.

The median Glicko was 1500±350 (aka people who didn't play)
The median GXE was 50% (also people who didn't play)

TEAM AVERAGES
Honchkrows1595.125
Magearnas1474.875
Misdreavuses1480.888889
Parasects1477.875
Tyrantrums1482.916667
Klinks1428.583333
Spindas1514.090909
Corviknights1525.4
Honchkrows57.89125
Magearnas48.29375
Misdreavuses48.80888889
Parasects48.42625
Tyrantrums48.14333333
Klinks44.35833333
Spindas51.10818182
Corviknights52.381

One last thing: please do not compare your GXE or glicko here to what you might achieve on a ladder. Not only is the pool of players different but the variables I input are not necessarily the same as the ones used by PS. Compare versus each other, not a totally different format.

ANYWAY what you actually are here for: individual rankings

Glicko
Leo can you stop winning everything I only had one picture planned ;-;

Rank - Name Team Glicko ± Deviance
1 - King Leo V Spindas 1954 ± 164
2 - Plas Tyrantrums 1922 ± 199
3 - Racool Tyrantrums 1877 ± 215
4 - rozes Misdreavuses 1857 ± 175
5 - highlighter Honchkrows 1851 ± 160
NameTeamFinal GlickoFinal ±Rank
Gurpreet Patel (Sent You a Friend Request)Tyrantrums18121626
xavgbSpindas18051647
frisoevaHonchkrows18021628
CrystalitesMagearnas17451869
Matiss98Magearnas172617010
jrdnHonchkrows172517711
TerracottaCorviknights171817812
HamhamhamhamhamSpindas170622913
TJParasects168819914
LasenMisdreavuses168119915
ThinkerinoCorviknights167917616
PigeonsKlinks165717417
abriel gabramMisdreavuses162221618
ThimoCorviknights162017619
Andyb0yCorviknights161016420
MarjaneCorviknights160028821
dimrahMagearnas159822222
TonyFlygonKlinks159517923
AlternatifHonchkrows157620724
chazmMisdreavuses157317525
a loserKlinks156817626
Zesty43Parasects156619527
aesfHonchkrows156416428
EuphonosMisdreavuses155816829
funbot28Magearnas154916730
Sylveon.Parasects154917530
JordySpindas154516232
SabellaParasects152416433
itsKimboKlinks150222734
HavensSpindas150119735
ChaitanyaKlinks150035036
Lancer FrKlinks150035036
anaconjaSpindas150035036
pileosandCorviknights150035036
Dj BreloominatiCorviknights150035036
85percentParasects149525841
MultiammiratoreParasects149316542
PinkDragonTamerSpindas148416043
MetaRiolu7Corviknights147817944
RedflixHonchkrows145715745
Ho3nConfirm3dTyrantrums145418946
vivalosprideSpindas145416646
Anime SansKlinks145324248
CamHonchkrows144917549
GL VolknerMagearnas144020450
SuperSkyLakeMisdreavuses143830251
SkysoloTyrantrums141217052
The Number ManTyrantrums141122353
MonsareeasyTyrantrums138328454
LaBalladeDesCieuxKlinks138021555
drampa's grandpaTyrantrums137327356
betathunderKlinks135921057
AkashiTyrantrums135218658
MAMPCorviknights135017759
gmansour20Magearnas134420860
HighlordHonchkrows133726761
Chessking345Tyrantrums133726661
AlkioneSpindas132426363
sugarhighParasects132221164
FardinMagearnas129319565
PurpleGatoradeTyrantrums126726966
Tack :]Misdreavuses126218467
DugZaKlinks125620668
blinkboySpindas124925869
Quantum TesseractKlinks120322470
uhuhuhu7Corviknights119922771
Mark KTyrantrums119523272
DF-ShockParasects118622373
w0rdMisdreavuses117223574
jasproseKlinks117023775
DurzaOffTopicMisdreavuses116522576
MegazardSpindas113322377
DragonillisMagearnas110420178
GXE

This is a ZODIAC symbol. Leo. Not anything else, get your mind out of the gutter.

Rank - Name Team GXE
1 - King Leo V Spindas 83.91
2 - Plas Tyrantrums 81.71
3 - Racool Tyrantrums 78.93
4 - rozes Misdreavuses 78.4
5 - highlighter Honchkrows 78.25
6Gurpreet Patel (Sent You a Friend Request)Tyrantrums75.7
7xavgbSpindas75.2
8frisoevaHonchkrows75.02
9CrystalitesMagearnas70.63
10Matiss98Magearnas69.4
11jrdnHonchkrows69.24
12TerracottaCorviknights68.68
13HamhamhamhamhamSpindas67.12
14TJParasects66.08
15ThinkerinoCorviknights65.61
16LasenMisdreavuses65.52
17PigeonsKlinks63.81
18ThimoCorviknights60.66
19abriel gabramMisdreavuses60.52
20Andyb0yCorviknights59.87
21TonyFlygonKlinks58.47
22dimrahMagearnas58.45
23MarjaneCorviknights58.14
24AlternatifHonchkrows56.66
25chazmMisdreavuses56.55
26a loserKlinks56.1
27Zesty43Parasects55.84
28aesfHonchkrows55.79
29EuphonosMisdreavuses55.24
30funbot28Magearnas54.44
31Sylveon.Parasects54.41
32JordySpindas54.09
33SabellaParasects52.18
34itsKimboKlinks50.17
35HavensSpindas50.09
36ChaitanyaKlinks50
37Lancer FrKlinks50
38anaconjaSpindas50
39pileosandCorviknights50
40Dj BreloominatiCorviknights50
4185percentParasects49.58
42MultiammiratoreParasects49.36
43PinkDragonTamerSpindas48.54
44MetaRiolu7Corviknights48.02
45RedflixHonchkrows46.08
46Anime SansKlinks45.98
47Ho3nConfirm3dTyrantrums45.9
48vivalosprideSpindas45.83
49CamHonchkrows45.41
50SuperSkyLakeMisdreavuses44.99
51GL VolknerMagearnas44.72
52The Number ManTyrantrums42.32
53SkysoloTyrantrums42.1
54MonsareeasyTyrantrums40.47
55LaBalladeDesCieuxKlinks39.64
56drampa's grandpaTyrantrums39.58
57betathunderKlinks37.85
58AkashiTyrantrums37.05
59MAMPCorviknights36.8
60HighlordHonchkrows36.68
61Chessking345Tyrantrums36.66
62gmansour20Magearnas36.6
63AlkioneSpindas35.62
64sugarhighParasects34.85
65FardinMagearnas32.37
66PurpleGatoradeTyrantrums31.45
67blinkboySpindas29.99
68Tack :]Misdreavuses29.86
69DugZaKlinks29.71
70Quantum TesseractKlinks26.25
71uhuhuhu7Corviknights26.03
72Mark KTyrantrums25.85
73DF-ShockParasects25.11
74w0rdMisdreavuses24.41
75jasproseKlinks24.32
76DurzaOffTopicMisdreavuses23.79
77MegazardSpindas21.8
78DragonillisMagearnas19.74

Some miscellaneous records:
Most matches played: PinkDragonTamer - 11 - The only player to play every week, including both tiebreakers.
Best undefeated record: Racool and Plas - 5-0 - Trump Trump
Cutest user: Gmansour20 - 12/10 - :blobnom:
Most Overlooked Performance: Highlighter - This is subjective, and I'm not really analyzing his actual games, but record-wise Highlighter did really well, going 7-2, and I don't think I saw anyone mention it, possibly because it's not really surprising. Definitely a major contributor to the Krows success in the regular season.
Best Average Ranking: King Leo V - Not bothering doing math, he just won like everything here lol

If you want more stats here that I can pull let me know

Resources (click the mons for the links)
:drampa:Glicko / GXE sheet I used to keep track of everything. It has a calculator and every player's rating every week.
:snom:ELO sheet I used. It similarly has every rating every week, but does not have a calculator. It does have a sheet where I kept track of who won or lost every week.
:rotom:The ELO calculator I used. This is also how I found percentage chances of winning. Not that those turned out great. :blobsad:
:appletun:Relink of the explanations of Smogon rankings I posted above (one linked to each mon. Read if you're interested :):flapple:'

Shoutouts! In no particular order (other than OM is last because he's smelly):
Racool Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request) Plas - You three know why I'm lumping you together; y'all carried af. Broken core tbh.
Skysolo bruh your sets are wild af keep building I wanna watch
Chessking345 2 years in a row ^_^ Would buy a third time. Awesome job supporting this year, and I wish we had gotten to play you more but mr gurp just haaaad to keep winning :blobshrug:
Mark K Akashi I feel bad about how things turned out with Camo this year. We bought generally good players for that slot, because Camo has historically not been very competitive, but we underestimated how much it's been built up recently. You guys did great in a meta that wouldn't have been your first choice, so thanks so much.
PurpleGatorade I wish we'd played you earlier tbh. Free AG in OMPL, stay chill mate, that Gatorade is ORANGE.
The Number Man Mashups PL when
Monsareeasy Ho3nConfirm3d Thanks both of you so much for all your work on NFE. I wish I understood that meta better so I coulda been more involved but anything that isn't OU based tends to throw me ;-;
Everyone who helped out in chat but wasn't officially part of our team: thanks so much!
Gmansour20 TheCoastsOfToast jasprose :blobnom: top three cutest users (although that's a rough competition there are so many cuties on this site ;-;)

SectoniaServant Ransei thanks for hosting nerds, ya did good

OM Round Three is over. We just can't stop tying can we? It's always fun managing with you, although this OMPL took a lot out of both of us I think. If we're both around and up for it next year we'll (head) smash em then. Trump Trump :tyrantrum:

Last edited:
Siamato's ABSOLUTELY NOT IN TIME Camomons french frog review

Thanks for reading and the rest soon! (it depends on my laziness lol).
I'm a bit late? Nooo... it's not like a W5 Camoreview which appears a long time after the end of OMPL lol
blobpeek.png
The reason is simple, I forgot to finish it... So enjoy the second part of the Camoreview and don't forget to ask for a perma camo ladd and like this post :blobnom:

Part 2

Sylveon. :parasect:vs:misdreavus:@Euphonos

geerat's team​
Euphonos's team​
:mew:
:excadrill:
:mandibuzz:
:indeedee:
:jellicent:
:cloyster:
:dragapult:
:polteageist:
:terrakion:
:kommo-o:
:necrozma:
:cinderace:

Replay

Introduction:

Interesting game between a veteran who established himself as one of the best OM players by his constancy during the last 3 gen in AAA, Camo or STAB, geerat. He may say that he's a bit rusty in Camo this gen but it is not so! geerat had started this OMPL with a impressive 3 - 0 placing him as the best Camo player with Jrdn. Unfort, his perfect was ended against me because of a crit which decided in advance the rest of the game. I learned the hard way in WCoOM II who was really good at playing Camo and since I had the occasion to discuss with him so I can say he has a really good understanding of Camo!

On another side, Euphonos was a name I've never heard of in gen7 in the Camo field but it's seems I was the only one :') Known as the "Camomons meteorologist" Euphonos was definitively one of the biggest contributor to the tier this gen, recently appointed council and in charge of Iron Chief which is a really nice concept and helps the tier to shine!

Ig Euphonos was a good player and impressed me W1 even if the haxx will have played. But what struck me the most it's his offense teams a little strange often match up reliant. So it's with a rather singular playstyle he emerged as a dangerous and impredictable name this OMPL!

Preview

Euphonos don't disappoint us with another HO teams based on double Shell Smash user, Psychic Surge against priority and certainly to increase the power of Polteageist's Stored Power, suicide SR setter Excadrill, setup Kommo-o and Cinderace(?). The team seems good but it's easy to know which do what here and it seems Euphonos's team really depends on his ability to prevent hazards to keep his Focus Sash on Polteagesit or Cloyster.

geerat on his side play a standard balanced/fat team. Mew is potentially the SR/Spikes setter because of Mandi which can Defog. But Terrak and Necro can also put the SR so an offensive Mew is also possible. Jelli is the Dracovish resist. Dragapult seems to be a classical spec present for the speed control.
The main question is on Mew/Necrozma's typing and set, one of them is probably offensive while the other is defensive but... which one?

MU: 55/45 for Euphonos in my opinion. Why? By knowing the "classic" sets (and therefore typing) of geerat's Pokemon, we can see that his match-up against Kommo-o Normal/Dragon and Cloyster can be hard.

Match

As expected Euphonos starts with his rocker, Excadrill with the Ground/Ghost typing (anti-spinner) but geerat predicted it very well with his Mandibuzz lead Flying/Poison. geerat takes advantage because he can beat Excadrill by preventing it to put his SR.

Unable to place his rocks, Euphonos setup his Cloyster against Mandibuzz and take a Foul Play. As expected, geerat hasn't got anything to come on Cloyster and he forced to sack his Jellicent. Indeed Jellicent was particularly useless here by not being able to help against almost any of Euphonos's mons.
The principal question is therefore, does geerat have something against Cloyster? He broke a potential focus sash but, one of his potential response, Mew, can be flinch by a potential King's Rock.
geerat decide to bring back his Dragapult Water/Elec on the terrain. Indeed, he can takes Cloyster's stab but risks to die on Explosion.
But in fact geerat reveals scarf Dragapult which easily rk Cloyster with Tbolt. This is an essential point because it means geerat can rk all Euphonos's setup sweepers like Polteageist or Kommo-o (excepted Dragon versions if his Dpult hasn't DM).
After that Euphonos managed to bring his Polteageist on geerat's Mew. Honestly, i think the game could have taken a whole different turn here. Indeed, geerat used Flash Cannon certainly to break a possible Focus Sash and rk Polteageist after with his Dragapult. Flash Cannon did 38% on Polteageist so a simple calc teaches us that it's a full spa invested Mew.
On turn 15, there were two possibilities for Euphonos:

- Use Stored Power and weaken Mew: +2 252+ SpA Polteageist Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Psychic Terrain: 333-393 (82.4 - 97.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. But Dragapult could just rk with U-Turn and geerat probably won the game.

- Use Shell Smash once again. If geerat had switched on anyone, Polteageist just won because Dragapult wasn't able to rk Polteageist anymore. But if geerat had stayed with Mew and clicked Flash Cannon one more time, Euphonos lost his Polteageist (if it was White Herb Poltea, it was a roll in Euphonos favor).

This was a mindgame but not exactly a 50/50. Indeed, if geerat had decided to switch, he had a chance to lose. But if he had chosen to stay with Mew, at worst he lost his Mew but was able to rk Polteageist with Dragapult. The best choice for him was to stay. Euphonos had to tempt him for all for all by redoing Shell Smash or just killing Mew if it would help his Kommo-o.

geerat chose to switch on Mandibuzz and sack it because Euphonos chose to use Stored Power. I don't know what drove geerat to do this but it worked?

T21 geerat made an error in my opinion. He chose to put in SR but took 49% on his Necrozma which made it impossible for him to come back on Cinderace. SR was probably useless because Indeedee wasn't a menace and Dragapult can rk Cinderace and a Normal/Fire Dragapult with Hpump in any case. There was just one case where it was a good play: if it was Kommo-o Dragon/Normal and if his Dragapult had DM. Finally, geerat chose to sack his Necrozma on Cinderace.

After that Euphonos revealed a Ground/Water Kommo-o probably with Belly Drum and the salac berry. But it came on a Hpump and wasn't able to place itselft. geerat needed to hit another Hpump to kill it but he missed and lose his Dragapult.

And it could be a drama at this point. geerat has left his counter to Cinderace die and finds himself at the mercy of Cinderace's HJK. I think he could have avoided this situation. Indeed if Kommo-o was effectively Belly Drum, he couldn't place itselft anymore. So there was no risks to bring back Mew in my opinion. Mew could rk it and Dragapult could rk Cinderace with Tbolt.

But with chance, geerat's Mew survived from HJK with 7% ( 252 Atk Cinderace High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mew: 196-232 (48.6 - 57.5%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO ) and geerat won the game.

I didn't really know what to think about that game because, after revealing Scarf Dpult, geerat was clearly in a good position to win. But he made small mistakes that could have turned the tide.

Jrdn :honchkrow: vs :magearna: Siamato

Jrdn's teamMy team
:toxtricity:
:sirfetch
:jirachi:
:incineroar:
:cinderace:
:flygon:
:necrozma:
:coalossal:
:jirachi:
:sigilyph:

Replay

Introduction

Well, I'm not going to describe so much here because isn't really objective to describe myself.

Jrdn is obviously the favorite here and all know why. He's an amazing player who play in many tiers with versatility and I have a lot of respect for him as player. He's an unavoidable figure in OMs since few years in AAA, MnM or in Camomons.
So far I have however managed to win our duels in Camomons (we played against each other during Camotour I in gen7 and in WCOOMs II).
Regardless of that, I still saw myself below Jrdn (mainly because I didn't like the tier very much this gen). But it's precisely for this reason that I was really hyped for our game!

Prep

While I'm at it, I can explain my choice of team. Since the begining of OMPL, Jrdn played classical balanced and I knew he probably wasn't going to change team style just because that's what he mastered best and he had to trust his in-game to turn things to his advantage. Honestly I was thinking to bring an HO teams against him to suprise et potentially have a good mu against his usual stuff. But this isn't the game I wanted. I didn't want to risk everything on the match-up and play a style that I'm not a fan.
I played on PS for great games against strong opponent and this was what I liked.

Before OMPL, Altthiel impressed me very much with Sirfetch'd. Indeed, with Scrappy and Fight/Normal or Fight/Flying typing, it's really hard to switch-in. But that's not all, Sirfetch'd can use Leek which allow it 50% of crit in a standard attack. That's why I've decided to bring it against Jrdn since the begining of OMPL. It was a really good breaker with priority and tbh, there wasn't really counters.

With Sirfetch'd, I've decided to play Jirachi Dragon/Ghost with Choice Spec. It's a good partner to Sirf with U-Turn and able to Trick an annoying setup-sweeper. Also it's hard to switch-in its Shadow Ball because of 40% sdef drop. The goal was to attract Dark/Steel/Normal and place Sirfetch'd with U-Turn. Dragapult is better with its amazing speed stat but I really wanted Trick.

After that and already with the idea to help Sirfetch'd to come, I added Cinderace Fight/Fire with Choice Scarf which paired well with others. Cinderace is certainly one of the best scarfer because it can rk stuff like Polteageist, Barbaracle after Shell Smash, Kommo-o Normal after Clangorous Soul, Kommo-o/Mew/Haxorus after DD, etc... HJK especially attract Ghost which is good for Jirachi or Sirfetch'd.

After that, I built a classical Mew Water/Fly + Coalossal Steel/Ground because I really liked this core. Mew can put the SR and Coal can put Spikes and spin. Well, now I don't like Coal as spinner because it's really easy to wall it with any Ghost.

Finally, assuming no Conkeldurr, I completed with Steel/Fly Sigilyph. I had thought as I watched Jrdn's teams it would be a good idea. Indeed, it's a double dance (CM + Cosmic Power) Sigilyph with Tinted Lens. After some tests, I've seen this thing can be amazing and could just win alone.

Preview

Jrdn brought back a classic balanced/fat as expected. Apart from Toxtricity and Incineroar which are obviously respectively offensive and defensive, it's hard to guess the other sets. He has 3 potential rocker and 2 potential defogger. But we can expect a Choice Jira with Trick (Jrdn really like Trick like me) otherwise he can have some troubles against setup with his team.

MU: 50/50, in that case, it's really hard to predict who have the match-up and especially because we don't know the typing.

Match

I've decided to start with Cinderace which can outspeed all of his mon and U-Turn to bring back the momentum. Jrdn started with his Jirachi Steel/Fairy so this is to my advantage. Jrdn revealed a Dragon/Fairy Necrozma which could be problematic. Indeed, Coalossal can't win against it and if it has Heat Wave, Sigilyph can't necessary come in.
But it was an Earth Power version which hurt my Coalossal.

Against my Sigilyph, Jrdn revealed a Water/Elec Mew. I switched to know his set and keep this potential wincon. Jrdn unveiled TW and Spikes which meant he hasn't a Elec STAB against Sigilyph. But anw TW was annoying.

With his Spikes Mew, the game has become an hazard war. His Mew has a really good mu here because it won against my spinner, I had nothing to really break it and it could paralyzed almost all of my mons. I really like Elec typing in Camo but this time, I hadn't it :c

Luckily, I managed to Trick the Choice Spec to his Mew.

After that, the game is not much longer evolving. We both managed to remove hazard on our side.

T98 I made a important mistake unlucky lined. I was going on Sigilyph to take Toxtricity Boomburst. Why? Idk...

252 SpA Silk Scarf Punk Rock Toxtricity Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Sigilyph: 195-230 (56.1 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO at worst

Moreover, Toxtricity could have Tbolt or Nuzzle (paired well with Hex) so my play isn't great. Sigilyph was obviously a good wincon here and, even though I was trying to avoid the para on it, it could have won with. The play was to sack Coal I think.
The crit matter because, if my play wasn't good, Boomburst wasn't killing normally and I will have sack Coal to keep my wincon which could easily heal itself on Necrozma.

But, in fact, I still had another wincon. Now I lost my answer agaisnt Necrozma, I had to stop it from placing itself otherwise I had lost.

I went on Sirf which was my only option.

+2 252 Atk Sirfetch’d Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Necrozma: 288-339 (72.5 - 85.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
The roll was in my favor and I had 50% chance of crit with Leek!! So i had 78% to kill his Necro but... I hit the minroll...
wigauboutderouleau.png

If I had killed Necro with Sirf, Jrdn lost his main answer against my Cinderace.

Finally the game ended on a 50/50 T59 that I lost.

It was a good game but I really felt like this one was winnable without the bad luck I had but, this the game.

Thanks for reading !

Last edited:
money mag.png

Money Magearnas

Few words: Although I played OMs since many years (4-5 years precisely), I've only recently tried my luck in OMPL. The reason is simple, my english sucks a lot LOL. This is the only reason but I didn't think I'd be able to talk correctly with my mates and share a great experience with them. I'd be lying if I said I didn't use a translator from time to time, but this experience has made me progress.

But just as I was about to stop the game, containment came over us. I had nothing to do and the whole OM FR community pushed me to sign up (je vous déteste pour ça les gars <3) so I said to myself: "Why not after all?" Even though I won 2 Camotour in USUM, I wasn't expecting to be one of the players on whom a lot of expectations rested.
Especially since apart from playing a few games on the ladder, I didn't sign up to Smogon's tournaments since the begining of the gen.

So it was a surprise to leave at 13k but also a lot of pressure to make it worth the price that funbot put on me. I appreciated the fact that, even my perf in gen7, I can still take the challenger's position.

In the end my record is a little bit below what I was hoping for (4-3) but I guess for an entry it's fine haha. I was able to enjoy this tournament even if at the end the Camomons came out of my eyes lol. For this experience, I would like to thank Money Magearnas.

Teams:

W1 vs Euphonos
W2 vs DugZa
W3 vs Akashi
W4 vs geerat
W5 vs Jrdn
W6 vs Thimo
W7 vs Havens

Shoutouts:

Funbot28:

I'm not going to go back over the unfortunate events that occurred after the OMPL for you... I just think it's a shame that despite all these years of contribution to our community and to Smogon, you can't even get a chance to explain yourself. Smogon was probably a part of your life and it's sad that it ended this way.
I want to thank you for your trust. You were a good captain who did his best to help us even though you're busy. It was a pleasure to speak with you and to help you in STABmons.
C'était super cool aussi que tu parles français ce que je ne savais pas avant cette rencontre. Cela nous a beaucoup aidé Dragonillis et moi à nous intégré du fait de pouvoir facilement communiquer avec toi si besoin.
I wish you all the best for the future.

GL Volkner :

Man I really didn't know you at all before this OMPL but you're amazing! As co-captain on one side, you've been a really good support for the team who always motivated us. As player on another side, I confess I had doubts about your level because I didn't remember you in USUM and I didn't see you this gen. But I was wrong, you've been an amazing player and a excellent core with Dimrah.
Finally, you're also a really cool guy with whom I enjoyed talking. Thanks for all you did for the team man! Et apprend à parler français aussi ! :p

Dragonillis :

Tu sais déjà absolument tout ce que je pourrai te dire parce que toi et moi on est déjà pote depuis un bon moment et qu'on a déjà discuté de tout ça. Du coup pas grand chose à ajouter... Ta perf reste dommage compte tenu des efforts que t'as investi mais je suis sûr que tu sauras rebondir plus tard si tu apprends de tes erreurs ! C'était cool de t'avoir dans la team (et pas que pour discuter en français mdr). J'espère que tu continueras de progresser et de faire briller la communauté OM FR !

Gmansour20

Décidément on était quand même 4 francophones dans la team mdr. Tu sais déjà tout le bien que je pense de toi et à quel point je t'estime en tant que personne et aussi en tant que joueur. Et oui parce que même si ton record n'est peut être pas celui que tu aurais espéré, à mes yeux tu restes l'excellent joueur de MnM qui m'écrasait souvent en USUM. Si tu te sentais seul dans la maison de retraite, j'arrive !

Fardin

It was a nice meeting too! I only knew you by your pseudo as a good OMs player but you're also a really cool guy. You helped the team so much in AAA, STABmons and MnM. And despite you weren't really playing Camomons, you tried to help me notably in test. You're a really good player in many OMs and I hope you'll continue to play!

Jett

I'm not a huge fan of NFE so I couldn't help you so much... But in fact you were so amazing so I guess you wouldn't even need it! You're a nice user too and it was cool to have you as teammate :)

dimrah

Honestly I've never seen a man play so much on the ladd lmao. You're really good in BH at playing and building. I think everyone understands now that you're not just a "hero ladd" but a BH figure in SS. I hope you're satisfied with your OMPL debut and it was nice to meet you outside of a ladd game :')

Thanks to our helpers too. You guys really helped us and contributed to the good atmosphere in the team :) Thanks to Thimo, Marjane, Quagg, Tack :], Marsopa Trump & Test Rex, berry and Altthiel.

I would also like to thank Jrdn, Sylveon., Euphonos and Mark K who have been my main partners in test. It was really cool to play and exchange with you guys!

After the end of our run in OMPL, I've become helper in the Head Honchkrows :honchkrow:. It was cool to discuss with you and help you. I took a lot of pleasure in being able to help in AAA and STABmons which are also tiers that I master well. I really enjoyed playing against you in test because it was nice games.

After OMPL, I was also in the playoffs of the Other Metagames Championship FR and I finally won it. Huge thanks to aesf, Redflix and Catalystic from the Head Honchkrows for their help in final!

Now I'm definitely gonna stop the game, I think. It was a great experience to play in OMPL. I hope OMs community will continue to growth and remain a pleasant place to mix competition, discovery and fun.

See ya ~

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)