Unpopular opinions

D/P remakes won't be good: I agree with this one because of this trend of overhyping unreleased products like it's the second coming or something. We saw it with ORAS, and you'd think people would be more cautious when the game dropped, but then you see posts and comments hyping the gen 4 remakes all over again. I love ORAS, but I think Gen 3 didn't really need a remake like Gen 1 or 2 did, and Gen 4 needs it even less since Platinum is a very polished experience already with little to improve (aside from the HM syndrome).
I still stand by this.

Honestly for as much as a lot of people blame TPC for being fucking idiots, and I'm not saying that those people are wrong, I feel as though a chunk of the damage done by the pokemon fandom is self inflicted. A lot of fans get hyped for something like gen 4 remakes and then get mad when Gamefreak doesn't say anything about them. Granted that MOBA looks fucking awful, keep in mind I hate MOBAs, but I wonder how many of the fans are angry at the horrible product they showed and how many are angry at the fact that there were no gen 4 remakes still.

Also at this point I'd feel better if they just ported Platinum that ran faster rather than a straight up remake using SS assests.

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Well, the whole Unite thing has finally converted me over to the "I don't want DP remakes" crowd. Not because of a sudden drop in confidence in Game Freak or anything but because of how I've become exhausted over the whole concept with how much people have been begging and screaming for it and upon mulling it over I'd much rather GF expend the effort on other projects, Pokemon-related or otherwise.

Like DG said, if something Gen 4-related must happen, just go with Platinum Remastered or something. Honestly nah I don't even think I want that anymore, just slap a couple of ports of DPP onto the Eshop and be done with it.

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
Well, the whole Unite thing has finally converted me over to the "I don't want DP remakes" crowd. Not because of a sudden drop in confidence in Game Freak or anything but because of how I've become exhausted over the whole concept with how much people have been begging and screaming for it and upon mulling it over I'd much rather GF expend the effort on other projects, Pokemon-related or otherwise.
I share the frustration with a lot of the fanbase lately, but why stop wanting something because other people are obnoxious about it?

Like DG said, if something Gen 4-related must happen, just go with Platinum Remastered or something. Honestly nah I don't even think I want that anymore, just slap a couple of ports of DPP onto the Eshop and be done with it.
Anyone familiar with GF and Nintendo's core series marketing strategies would have known that DP remakes weren't coming. For the past eight years, Nintendo has aimed to publish a new core series game just before Black Friday (aside from the 2015 gap to presumably line up the 20th anniversary). When they do this, new regions have more content to show off and draw out the hype, so they're revealed about 9 months in advance (which since 2016 has lined up nicely with Pokemon Day). Games that aren't new regions have less content and get revealed about 5-6 months in advance instead (which instead lines up nicely with E3).

So to back up a bit, when a Direct was announced for Jan 2020, it couldn't have been either DP remakes or "Ultra SwSh" - either Nintendo would miss Black Friday or they'd have dry bare-bones content reveals spread out all year.

Now of course it's obvious that IoA and CT are intended to take the place of any "Ultra SwSh", and GF pretty much said so during the Direct by comparing them to Platinum and USUM. The DLC now takes the spot of "this year's core series release" and there's no way they're going to announce another one before the beginning of 2021 at least. A Let's Go Johto would count as a GF core series release for this purpose (their own marketing).

One other thing that we could have seen coming but was unfortunately lost in translation was the Japanese name of the video, which ends in 発表会 ("announcement") and used to be always translated into English as "Press Conference". They went with a different name this time ("Presents") due to it not actually being live with press, and this unfortunately probably gave the wrong impression to a lot of people that it was going to be more Direct-like (which focuses on core series games). Instead, we should have expected reveals similar to the other Press Conferences - almost all mobile games and apps (Go, Quest, Home, Sleep, Masters). New Pokemon Snap (and Detective Pikachu sequel from 2019) turned out to be a nice surprise, but as non-GF spin-offs they don't interfere with the already-established core series schedule. (Yes, the 2018 Press Conference revealed Let's Go, but the timing of that announcement fit into the core series schedule, and any Let's Go Johto reveal wouldn't.)

No way to prove this now, but I was originally going to shitpost something about the Gen 2 background plushies secretly being for "Pokemon Quest 2" hypothetically adding blocky pixellated Johto 'mons to the Kanto-exclusive Quest. Then we got something very entirely different....

In any case, there's no way I can believe we're ever getting a DP remake announcement until something like May/June 2021, May/June 2022, or May/June 2023. (This means that if E3 2021 comes and goes with no hint of a DP remake, we shouldn't expect it for another year.) Anything else would mess up their prerelease marketing and Black Friday sales, pointlessly reducing their revenue for no benefit.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
In any case, there's no way I can believe we're ever getting a DP remake announcement until something like May/June 2021, May/June 2022, or May/June 2023. (This means that if E3 2021 comes and goes with no hint of a DP remake, we shouldn't expect it for another year.)
I think the appropriate time for a DP remake is sadly behind us. The games were out in 2006/2007; kids who grew up with them are way outside the target demographic for Pokémon already.

Remember that FRLG came out in 2004, that's only 6-8 years after the original games, depending on region. HGSS were 8-10 years after the original games too, while ORAS were 11-12 years after their originals. If DP remakes come out next year, it'll be 14-15 years after the originals. Granted, it'd be "only" 12 years after Platinum in certain regions, but I still think the time gap would be stretching their viability quite a bit. Counting the third versions, FRLG was 4-6 years after Yellow (meaning that by 2021, USUM will have been around for longer than Yellow had been in Europe when FRLG was released there), HGSS was 9 years after Crystal, and ORAS was 9-10 years after Emerald. I think it's too late for Sinnoh by now.

Plus, as I've said many times before, I don't think Game Freak has any interest in remaking Sinnoh. Recreating the region would be too much work (barring a top-down style game like LGPE), and the game deviates too far from their current design philosophy. I think they would prefer to create a new region from scratch with their current design parameters, rather than remaking a DS game within all the constraints it came with.

Honestly, the time for DP remakes was back in 2017/2018 (I'd almost certainly prefer to see them over the Let's Go games any day; maybe not USUM, though). It kind of sucks, because I've always preferred gen 3 over 4 and felt that the latter generation needed to be remade more than the former did. But then again, if they leave out the Distortion World and expanded dex from Platinum, and whatever we get instead isn't able to make up for them, then I probably wouldn't care much for those games either. That's the main reason I have no interest in playing LGPE as long as FRLG exist; no Sevii Islands, only the first 151, and a whole bunch of features taken out in favor of... candies. Yay...?

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Y'know from time to time I still see people talking about a Pokemon MMO. I don't think the dream is as fervent as it was 5-10 years ago but it definitely still exists. I mean look at all the fan-games tryna fill that niche.

What I find most interesting about these requests is that the Pokemon MMO has already been made and is currently running. You may know it as Pokemon Go.

No really, think about it

-Constantly inter-connected, massive open world (in this case the Earth itself)
-A handful of factions that each player joins and supports as they play the game
-Raid battles with big drops that emphasize player cooperation and coordination
-PVP system with Leagues

It checks off a ton of the staples of the genre, don't ya think?

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Y'know from time to time I still see people talking about a Pokemon MMO. I don't think the dream is as fervent as it was 5-10 years ago but it definitely still exists. I mean look at all the fan-games tryna fill that niche.

What I find most interesting about these requests is that the Pokemon MMO has already been made and is currently running. You may know it as Pokemon Go.

No really, think about it

-Constantly inter-connected, massive open world (in this case the Earth itself)
-A handful of factions that each player joins and supports as they play the game
-Raid battles with big drops that emphasize player cooperation and coordination
-PVP system with Leagues

It checks off a ton of the staples of the genre, don't ya think?
I think you forgot something pretty crucial. MMO is short for MMORPG, and Pokémon GO isn't an RPG. The whole point of the game is that you're not roleplaying another character, but rather controlling yourself -- to the point that physically walking around your own city or town is the primary gameplay. When the purpose of MMORPGs is to escape into another world, Pokémon GO can't fill the brief.

With that being said, we've technically kinda sorta had an MMO entry in the series already: Gen V. Using the Dreamworld, players were able to enter each other's worlds and interact with each other in realtime, travelling around the region together. It was extremely bare bones and seemed like a test for greater things to come, probably sparking a lot of the hype around the possibility of a true MMO. But now that it's been a decade without any new trials, the excitement at the prospect died of natural causes. Crying shame.

You mean somehting like that PokeMMO in which people were playing through the first five regions with sprites and no models, but some of the playerbase kept asking how to jump over trees due to a graphical glitch? I don't think we'll get anything like that soon unless it takes place in a different world.

IDK if I said this before but Pokemon games should abandon the "deep" and "complex" villain stories and motivations. It worked once with gen 5, and then every time they try to pull that shit again it falls flat. XY "Oh I hate ugly things so I must destroy all pokemon." SM "My husband disappeared and now I'm obsessed with a space jellyfish, whilst driving my family away from em because I'm an abusive PoS" SS "I GOTTA SOLVE THIS ENERGY CRISIS THAT'LL HAPPEN IN A CENTURY RIGHT NOW AND INTERRUPT EVERYTHING BECAUSE I CAN LITERALLY NOT WAIT A DAY FOR THE CHAMPION TO HELP ME!"

Honestly I think we should remove villains all together and have a game that focuses more on the journey of becoming a pokemon master, while fleshing out the gym leaders and E4 more. Namely because while gamefreak can make some decent to good characters, their overall narrative skills aren't really that good.

IDK if I said this before but Pokemon games should abandon the "deep" and "complex" villain stories and motivations. It worked once with gen 5, and then every time they try to pull that shit again it falls flat. XY "Oh I hate ugly things so I must destroy all pokemon." SM "My husband disappeared and now I'm obsessed with a space jellyfish, whilst driving my family away from em because I'm an abusive PoS" SS "I GOTTA SOLVE THIS ENERGY CRISIS THAT'LL HAPPEN IN A CENTURY RIGHT NOW AND INTERRUPT EVERYTHING BECAUSE I CAN LITERALLY NOT WAIT A DAY FOR THE CHAMPION TO HELP ME!"

Honestly I think we should remove villains all together and have a game that focuses more on the journey of becoming a pokemon master, while fleshing out the gym leaders and E4 more. Namely because while gamefreak can make some decent to good characters, their overall narrative skills aren't really that good.
Yup. What will make people love the games is much more detailed, realistic -- and therefore immersive -- worldbuilding. The over-the-top apocalyptic storylines have the opposite effect because they're usually so farcical. The same obviously goes for the battle gimmicks.

Eh, for some of those (XY and SS especially) I wouldn't describe the villain stories as deep or complex. I'd describe them as trying to be deep and complex and falling flat on their faces. Though I'm with you in wanting to drop the villain plot altogether. Giving each mainline Pokemon game two plots that are almost entirely unrelated to each other (the champion plot and the villain plot) is such a bizarre choice that I'm baffled not only as to why it's continued, but as to why it was done in the first place.

Eh, for some of those (XY and SS especially) I wouldn't describe the villain stories as deep or complex. I'd describe them as trying to be deep and complex and falling flat on their faces. Though I'm with you in wanting to drop the villain plot altogether. Giving each mainline Pokemon game two plots that are almost entirely unrelated to each other (the champion plot and the villain plot) is such a bizarre choice that I'm baffled not only as to why it's continued, but as to why it was done in the first place.
Besides, honestly if the whole yell/rose plot didn't exist, SwSh would have a pretty solid journey storyline about actually becoming the champion.

This has got me wondering how it'd be if the secondary story from HGSS - the player proving themselves worthy to encounter a legendary - was the sole focus of the game, without any antics from Team Rocket or any other group of evildoers being involved in the story at all.*

Other elements could make their way in. Perhaps a more involved story with the rivals - I always liked the idea of having one rival who was battle-focused and takes the starter strong to yours, and one who was fixated on completing the Pokedex and takes the starter weak to yours (DP, BW, and XY all worked with this idea, but not to the fullest extent IMO) and you'd have to help them both to achieve their full potential. Perhaps the Gym Leaders are having personal/professional problems you need to help with. I've always liked Alder's backstory; perhaps the champion of this region could be grooming you to take their place, intending to retire once a good enough Trainer beats them. All of these elements have been done before to one degree or another, but they've always taken a backseat to the overarching plot.

Personally, I'd be very up for it. Always open to a change of pace.

*(I seem to recall this theme being discussed a few pages back, or it might have been in the "things that annoy you" thread)

Eh, for some of those (XY and SS especially) I wouldn't describe the villain stories as deep or complex. I'd describe them as trying to be deep and complex and falling flat on their faces.
Well yeah, that's the problem. If the events seemed believable and you could buy into them, the stories might be effective. But they are usually very far off. Plotlines like Team Rocket trying to poach and sell Slowpoke tails, on the other hand, are totally credible and therefore work much better. But these people want to go for a big spectacle every time.

Worldie said:
Besides, honestly if the whole yell/rose plot didn't exist, SwSh would have a pretty solid journey storyline about actually becoming the champion.
Yeah, but the legendary plot does exist. And you have to jump through mental hoops constantly to try to justify the big Pokemon gimmick to yourself to avoid having that ruin things. And you have a soon-to-be "professor" looking at statues in restaurants to study history, or whatever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)