Tournament Camomons Isle of Armor Launch Tournament [Won by Andyboy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sign-ups are closed! Before we proceed to the actual pairings, here are some announcements (visit this):

In the qualifying round and the first round of the tournament, I have devised a "special(?)" way of making a bracket which takes advantage of the players' post count the time they have signed up in this tournament. In the succeeding rounds, however, the brackets will become randomized.

By default, this qualifying round is a Best-of-One single elimination format. However, should you elect to do a Best-of-Three series, please use VM's to initiate such before commencing battle and not as the battle starts or not after the first battle is over. The tournament host will reserve the right to deny those doing the latter part of the negotiation; as such, the first battle will only count towards the result.

Without further ado, here are the pairings for the QUALIFYING ROUND!

Frrf vs. Mr. Mime fan
The Number Man vs. giove97
D2TheW vs. Mygrein
K3ppr vs. Flaming Deoxys
Stareal vs. Altthiel
zxgzxg vs. Mega metaboss
damflame 3 vs. Dragonillis
Aloopuriza vs. Karl Dude Guy

The deadline for this qualifying round will be on the 9th of July, Thursday, 11:59 PM GMT -4. May the odds ever be in your favor!

Last edited:
In the qualifying round and the first round of the tournament, I have devised a "special(?)" way of making a bracket which takes advantage of the players' post count the time they have signed up in this tournament. In the succeeding rounds, however, the brackets will become randomized.
lol what? So now to have a better position in a tournament you need posts? Please, reconsider that decision, it doesn't make any sense.

There is only one way to ensure that the pairings are as egalitarian as possible and it's quite simply to randomly draw the people who will have to play in this qualification round.

What's your idea behind that? Secure the top players a spot? Because, of course, they are all long-time players with a lot of posts? Do you really think Jrdn, Sylveon, Chazm and the others need that kind of advantage to go far in the tour?

Do you want to offer an advantage to the biggest contributors to Smogon? What a great idea! So now this isn't just a competition between players with the same chances but it's also a competiton of who will have the most posts and thus, the better chance to advance in the tour. Smogon's policy is to favor the elite and the contributors in its tournament now? Sorry, I thought it was to put strategy and competition ahead of everything else. Looking forward to seeing ABR, McM, SW, etc. directly in PO of all OU tournaments!

Do you want to advantage the biggest contributors to Camomons? I think it's also a bad idea, it's a competition and everyone should have, as far as possible, the same chances. But in fact, that's not it either. Otherwise people like Dragonillis will be advantaged for his contribution to Iron Chef or Karl Dude Guy and Altthiel for their participation to OMFL as Camomons players and participation in the Iron Chef.

By default, this qualifying round is a Best-of-One single elimination format.
Double bad luck, in addition to not posting enough on Smogon, you will have to risk your qualification on a single match (if your oppo isn't agree with a BO3) in a tier where the mu can sometimes have a strong influence.

The deadline for this qualifying round will be on the 9th of July, Thursday, 11:59 PM GMT -4. May the odds ever be in your favor!
And finally, you have only 3 days to play your matches !!! But you know what? It doesn't matter because in any case the goal is just to sort out the people who are the least esteemed!

If at least people had been informed before, they could have had some say or be aware of the situation they were about to find themselves in.

Euphonos idk if there are other people behind that but, please, reconsider your decision about pairings. It's never too late to do well.

lol what? So now to have a better position in a tournament you need posts? Please, reconsider that decision, it doesn't make any sense.

There is only one way to ensure that the pairings are as egalitarian as possible and it's quite simply to randomly draw the people who will have to play in this qualification round.

What's your idea behind that? Secure the top players a spot? Because, of course, they are all long-time players with a lot of posts? Do you really think Jrdn, Sylveon, Chazm and the others need that kind of advantage to go far in the tour?

Do you want to offer an advantage to the biggest contributors to Smogon? What a great idea! So now this isn't just a competition between players with the same chances but it's also a competiton of who will have the most posts and thus, the better chance to advance in the tour. Smogon's policy is to favor the elite and the contributors in its tournament now? Sorry, I thought it was to put strategy and competition ahead of everything else. Looking forward to seeing ABR, McM, SW, etc. directly in PO of all OU tournaments!

Do you want to advantage the biggest contributors to Camomons? I think it's also a bad idea, it's a competition and everyone should have, as far as possible, the same chances. But in fact, that's not it either. Otherwise people like Dragonillis will be advantaged for his contribution to Iron Chef or Karl Dude Guy and Altthiel for their participation to OMFL as Camomons players and participation in the Iron Chef.

Double bad luck, in addition to not posting enough on Smogon, you will have to risk your qualification on a single match (if your oppo isn't agree with a BO3) in a tier where the mu can sometimes have a strong influence.

And finally, you have only 3 days to play your matches !!! But you know what? It doesn't matter because in any case the goal is just to sort out the people who are the least esteemed!

If at least people had been informed before, they could have had some say or be aware of the situation they were about to find themselves in.

Euphonos idk if there are other people behind that but, please, reconsider your decision about pairings. It's never too late to do well.
Good post tbh, I wasn't gonna complain cause it would have sounded whiny and I also don't mind this that much, but Matiss made a very good point.

Gman

Stay kind, stay compassionate
Sorry to butt in as well, Euphonos, I don't mean to harm or offend anyone but I agree with Siamato here, as well!
As a non-camo player, I'm not personally concerned. As such, my opinion is decidedly not the most relevant here, so take it with a grain of salt.

We all know that the first come first serve model is not perfect, as it penalizes some timezones, but it is the customary way to decide R1 pairings, the one way we're all accustomed to. The randomisation of a portion of players signing up after a fix quota can be harsh for someone, but it's the only guaranteed fair way to handle it. I will not lie, I find your idea to actually involve all of the players that would not make the cut for the fix quota interesting and inclusive, as it at least allows some meritocracy in accessing the first round. As such, you get a :blobnom: .

However, the way you decided to determine said fix quota is suboptimal, in my opinion, under the following points of view:
  • First of all, transparency: If nothing is mentioned about the way pairings are structured, players should be expecting the usual pairing policy to apply (i.e. fix quota with randomisation of the remaining players). If a host intends to modify the formula of something as significant as r1 pairings, it should be announced before sign-ups. Now, I do realize that if you had done it people could have just started massively posting to reach the fix quota (this is but one testament to the inappropriate character of post count as criteria for decisions), but it is the only way to avoid suspicions. To elaborate, unless a criterion is specified preemptively, one could assume that it was decided a posteriori to better suit the host's interests. I'm absolutely not accusing you of this, Euphy, by the way, as I don't think you have any interests at stake at all and it would be beneath you as you've shown nothing but integrity; it's just that decisions that occur after the ending of sign-ups may give way to this twisted appearance.
  • Briefly, for the players that were unfortunate enough to be excluded from the fix quota, having to play in 3 days time (especially mid-week) might be quite inconvenient.
  • The concept of allowing active, contributing and deserving players to directly participate is not one I necessarily agree with but it's not bad per se. However, choosing post counts to do so is really the wrong way to go, in my opinion! Post counts hardly reflect the involvement of players within the OM community and within the Camomons metagame itself. Players who only played Camomons tangentially are being preferred over people who have dedicated themselves to Camomons in the past few months (like OMFL starters and Iron Chef participants, as was pointed out). The fact that I would go over Siamato based on post count should be sufficient to highlight how this criterion lacks the necessary pertinence. Post counts are not valid indexes of either topical, durable, or qualitative contributions, and they tend to disfavor those players who are not English native speakers or not fluent in English, as they tend to post less.
As such, I'm joining the small choir asking for a reconsideration of the pairings! :)

Sorry if I seemed too harsh in any way, these are just my opinions, and they should in no way be regarded as a personal attack to you. Thank you for all your efforts as a host and overall, Euphonos. Camomons is definitely more active and lively since you joined it, so props on that!

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Thank you, Matiss98 and Gmansour20, for voicing your concerns over pairings in this tournament.

It looks like the idea of making everyone involved in the tournament is a huge plus to make the metagame active -- as much as I really advocate for the metagame to be part of Other Metagames' official representation -- and I'm grateful for Gmansour20 for such a heart-warming compliment. It's through my recent experience in joining an NFE No Johns Tournament and not eventually being picked in the said tournament that made me pursue this idea. How I handle pairings on the other hand looks like a huge flaw, among other things; therefore, it's time to shake some things up.

Pairings
From the seeding post count that is being (apparently) frowned upon, the change in this mechanic will be, given forty players signed up, the last eight registrants and the randomized eight from the first 32 (as a reference: MetaRiolu7 is the 32nd participant signed up for the tournament) will be pooled to be picked in the qualifying round.

As such:
Last 8: SBPC, pazza, Mygrein, Havens, giove97, Stareal, Don Vascus, The Thunderbirds
Randomized 8: D2theW, zioziotrip, Frrf, Jrdn, xavgb, K3ppr, Flaming Deoxys, Poison Adhesive

rolls.png

first32.png

(forgot to tag Poison Adhesive as he is the 30th registrant being picked)​

Therefore, here comes the new pairings:
zioziotrip  vs Jrdn
Flaming Deoxys
 vs  D2TheW
Mygrein  vs  xavgb
Stareal  vs  Don Vascus
The Thunderbirds  vs  Poison Adhesive
K3ppr
 vs  SBPC
Frrf  vs  giove97
Havens  vs  pazza

With other concerns including being the qualifying round being a Best-of-One format which looks unfair compared to doing a Best-of-Three series in the succeeding rounds, and the deadline being on a weekday, here's another change:

The qualifying round is now mandated to a Best-of-Three series, and the deadline will be extended to July 12, Sunday, 11:59 PM GMT -4 to accommodate those who prefer to play in the weekends. (note to self: this is not a No Johns tour, lol.)

I hope this is a fairer treatment of the pairings, and I apologize for any inconveniences caused to those who were initially paired and to those who got paired here. Also, not to mention, all succeeding rounds will be randomized, as promised! Again, I would like to thank Matiss98 and Gmansour20 for voicing your concerns, and I hope this will be a much better tournament moving forward!

Oh, and before I forget: feel free to hit me up on Showdown should you wish to test your creations! I'm looking forward to seeing them in action!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)