Resource SS ZU Team Dump

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Insert art here (in need of banner ;_;)
Welcome to the SS ZU team dump thread! Usually team dump thread's act as an alternative to sample teams, where posts are more lax and teams more unorthodox. Because of the volatile nature of DLCs and tier shifts this generation, this thread will replace sample teams for the foreseeable future. I will judge whether teams are worth archiving or not. The criteria I'll be using is simple: if it's a good team and easy to pilot, it'll most likely be archived. However, I want to emphasize that meme teams or objectively bad teams will be rejected and I might delete posts that are especially bad.
  • Provide an import for your team(s)​
  • Write a description of your team(s), preferably a short and concise explanation of how the team in question functions and its weaknesses (replays are highly encouraged)
    • Specify the type of team it is: offense, balance, semi-stall, stall, weather, etc
    • This helps me categorize teams when archiving​
  • Must use sprites when showing a team rather than only having an import (for visual appeal and archive friendliness)​
  • Just because this thread is relaxed does not mean meme teams or bad teams will be accepted. This thread is not a rate my team hub, use the ZU room on PS! or ZU's Discord for help

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Offensive Teams
:thwackey::thievul::gourgeist::magmortat::swoobat::clawitzer: by risin_glory
:electivire::perrserker::rotom::persian alola::garbodor::ludicolo: by risin_glory

Balance Teams

Defensive Teams
:tangela::audino::pyukumuku::coalossal::cofagrigus::pawniard: by thebtboy

Outdated

Last edited:
Team dump before DLC yay

:Thwackey: :Raboot: :Wartortle: :Onix: :Silvally: :Linoone-Galar:
FWG bulky offense - https://pokepast.es/99e9d3223cc29d44
This one has been public for a while but it's just a fun starter core that uses Thwackey's and Raboot's hidden abilities and has a lot of pivoting to keep offensive pressure up with U-turn and Parting Shot.

:Frillish: :Gourgeist-Large: :Pincurchin: :Linoone-Galar: :Togetic: :silvally:
Frillish balance - https://pokepast.es/d4b1320cda29456d
With the release of Raboot's hidden ability Frillish started seeing usage as Raboot and Wartortle counter and this balance team was built around it, trying to abuse Toxic Spikes + Frillish since most teams are relying on Wartortle for hazard removal.

:Swirlix: :Persian: :Raboot: :Wartortle: :silvally: :Mudbray:
Swirlix webs HO - https://pokepast.es/ad49d145c648367b
This is probably my favorite of the 4 teams because it's extremely fast paced. Swirlix and Mudbray are two very underrated hazard setters in offense that are annoying to Defog/Spin against. Persian and Raboot also abuse webs very well.

:Cherrim: :beartic: :seaking: :purrloin: :solrock: :Silvally:
Solrock used Rain Dance (rain HO) - https://pokepast.es/91fb93dbb28d2e87
This one mostly started as meme but Beartic + Seaking is a scary wallbreaking core and overall the team surprisingly works, although it's obviously inconsistent. It also has a Purrloin which gives a lot of style points.

This is what I used for a good amount for laddering I had success multiple times with it. Pincurchin gets toxic spikes surrounded by physical walls of ivy and eiscue and togetic for Spd. You chip around on the opposing team, your goal should be to knock off possible defog pokemon and keep toxic spikes up allowing your walls to absorb the damage.
Eiscue @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Face
EVs: 188 HP / 152 SpA / 168 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hail
- Substitute
- Protect
- Freeze-Dry

Persian @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Covet

Pincurchin @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic Spikes
- Discharge
- Scald
- Recover

Lunatone @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Moonblast

Ivysaur @ Eviolite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Knock Off
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Dazzling Gleam
- Defog
- Heal Bell

1592451647209.png
1592451660486.png
1592451682458.png
1592451692466.png
1592451701704.png
1592451712858.png

Landon

im in that tonka
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
1592837009728.png
1592837024850.png
1592837043852.png
1592837061275.png
1592837077432.png
1592837090926.png

Thievul @ Choice Specs
Ability: Stakeout
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic
- Parting Shot
- Burning Jealousy

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Defog
- Toxic
- Roost

Seaking @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Flip Turn
- Toxic
- Protect

Lampent @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Energy Ball

Cufant @ Eviolite
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Whirlwind

Ivysaur @ Eviolite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Not too sure if I'm not supposed to post since Gourg is now banned, but I'm going to anyways. I used this team to get 1st and 4th on ladder with a record of 31-0 across both accounts. Yes, I have loses on my accounts, but I started when i was 14-5 on the one and 81-30 on the other. Ladder is bad anyways :3. The premise of the team is to kill stuff with Thievul. The mons Thievul has surrounding it help in aiding Thievul. They do a good job of getting a Knock or Toxic off on counters like Togetic or Morgrem to where they can't keep switching in, especially with rocks up. Most of the time all your mons end up wearing down the opposing team to where scarf Gourg cleans late game. Defensive Seaking was something I wanted to try and it turned out to be quite decent. It can Knock and gain you momentum which that alone I wanted to try, but it's also a counter to one of the best mons right now which is Pincurchin. Everything else is pretty self explanatory.
Threats -
1592842206566.png
1592842221557.png
1592842824591.png
1593039858841.png

1592844355408.png

Edit: you can still use the team by replacing Gourgeist with scarf Lampent. Lampent also gives you a bit of a better matchup against most of the threats to the team.

Last edited:
I'm having a fresh start for July so i'm posting the only team currently left in my builder, standard trick room offence .Trick room is very match up dependant which I think scares people from playing it but with the removal of Thwackey and Thievul trick rooms match up got alot better.
:solrock: :Pincurchin: :Octillery: :Porygon: :Duosion: :Machoke: - https://pokepast.es/c7d207d3d9791be7
Lead with Solrock, set up trick room and rocks and then explode to bring in a trick room abuser. Pincurchin and Octillery destroy the whole tier bar bulky grass types like ivy and gloom however duosion deals with them. Duosion and porgon are very reliable setters with dusion having magic guard and focus sash allowing duosion to always get up trick room and porygon having great bulk and teleport which allows you to bring in abusers safely. Teleport works amazing with falme orb machoke as flame orb activates on switch in. Then you just win as machoke has no switch ins :)

Counters to trick room include Persian's fake out and anything with sub or protect which stalls trick room turns. If pinch get banned lampent is a good sub as fire/ghost stab is strong and it also gets access to trick room and memento. Dusion could also be subbed for Oranguru as it is also reliable at setting up trick room due to its great bulk, the removal of theival and also inner focus which helps vs persian.

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The new drops are awesome, tbh.

https://pokepast.es/21e8cf2aa3947634

:corsola: :ludicolo: :beartic: :mr. mime-galar: :shedinja: :shiinotic:

This is a new rain team I cooked up, I think it has great synergy. Corsola w/ Regenerator + Shiinotic + Shedinja on rain creates a triad of Pokemon that can often switch into each other's threats, allowing for recovery on Corsola, Rain or recovery for Shiinotic, and a free hit off from Shedinja. Ludicolo and Beartic are the go to rain sweepers, with ludicolo being a new face in the tier. Mime Galar w/ Encore also has the capability to lock opponents into setup or an attack that either the rain sweepers or Shedinja can safely go on. Rapid Spin may honestly be not necessary on this squad, I've only ran them to beat the rarer Toxic Spikes, but this rain team demolishes Webs even without webs removal, especially the webs + lampent squads I've been seeing.

Shedinja especially loves the new additions of Mr. Mime-galar. If it isn't running Toxic, which I've only seen once, it has nothing it can do to hit it, making boots Shedinja a diabolical spinblocker. Of course, even using Toxic guarantees a dead Mime galar, assuming Speedy with HP, again blocking spin for the rest of the game. Combined with the aforementioned excellent partners of corsola and shiinotic to not let shedinja bring in Pokemon like Persian and Machoke in for free, it makes every time they try to remove rocks a free hit for Shedinja. Of course, this is limited thanks to Poltergeist's 8 pp. I haven't been seeing many defog teams, so Corsola's rocks will do excellent work at wearing down the opposing team, as they try to position themselves. It honestly becomes a bit brainless unless your opponent is making hard reads to immediately threaten out Shedinja and its teammates.

The only mon I've noticed a severe weakness to is Power Herb Meteor Beam Lunatone (and I would presume any other setup Lunatone), as Corsola kinda has to wing it spdef wise, and Lunatone can be a problem after that Special Attack raise. I'm running Modest on Ludicolo w/ an assumption that it will be abusing its Speed in rain whenever its being used to break through teams, and I haven't really found a reason to run more (outside of potentially speed-tying the aforementioned Lunatone). Silvally Ice with Toxic+Parting Shot can also be a problem, but I haven't seen that much either.

Last edited:

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I thought I'd drop a fun team that's been having some success. Looking at some of the new tools we've got recently, I saw that Hazard Stack could work well. There are a few variants that could be made to this (Dusclops is a better spinblocker than Sandygast, and Hippopotas would be a rocks setter that doubles up as a secondary phaser) but this is what's worked the best in my experience.

:lickitung: :sandygast: :trubbish: :gothitelle: :maractus: :wailord:
https://pokepast.es/a692ff9b7767a819
  • Lickitung is the cleric and WishPasser, supporting Pokémon like Trubbish, Maractus and Gothitelle who lack reliable recovery.
  • Sanygast is the rocks setter. Toxic is viable over Shadow Ball, but czim pointed it out as an option to beat Lunatone, Natu, Solrock, and catch Mime-Galar on the switch and it's been great so far.
  • Trubbish is the Knock Off sponge (and general Machoke answer), and Toxic Spikes setter. Secondary Spikes setter if Maractus goes down early. Gunk Shot is viable over Clear Smog for more offensive presence.
  • Gothitelle is to deter Defog, and eases the Sticky Webs matchup. Also the backup Toxic user if Trubbish doesn't manage to set T-Spikes.
  • Maractus is the primary Spikes setter and Knock Off user. There are variants on the set (Synthesis > Leech Seed, Leaf Storm somewhere) but this is a maximum utility set that's been pretty nice.
  • Wailord is the primary WinCon. Sit there and Roar or Water Spout until you either win, or the team's weak enough for Lickitung to Seismic Toss or Gothitelle to clean. Wailord is the choice because of Oblivious, making it immune to Taunt, and Water Spout is powerful enough to cheap during a phasing clean that you can go max defensive investment.

I thought I'd stick it here since the synergy is fairly nice so it could be good to learn the meta with. However, Main Threats:
  • Krokorok is really good against this team. Trubbish can't answer its Knock Off because Earthquake destroys it, and Knock destroys Sandygast and Gothitelle. Taunt stallbreaks everything else too. Your best answer is Maractus, and this is where Leaf Storm would be nice.
  • Offensive set-up like Beartic can't really be handled if they switch in for free and get a Swords Dance up. Bulky set-up who pose a less immediate offensive presence like Gothitelle or Duosion can be phased out, though.
  • This team has no hazard control, so you have to play more offensively at the start of the game via Wailord, Gothitelle and Sandygast to try and take out opposing hazard setters. Wailord and Gothitelle have great offensive coverage against hazard setters between them, though. And if nothing else, Trubbish absorbs Toxic Spikes.
  • Shedinja is actually really annoying because Poltergeist is powerful, and the 3 things that can hit it are weak to Poltergeist (Sandygast, Gothitelle) or X-Scissor (Maractus). This is an advantage to including Hippopotas, but it can be beaten with smart play.

Replays: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8zu-1144441128
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8zu-1144449211
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8zu-1144464479

I swear I'm not a Wailord scrub. This is the first time I've used it on a team, and is probably the only role I would cast it in.

Last edited:
I am posting a more balance aproach is this meta.
Both Douosion and Shedinja are my wincon. Duosion againt stall when Shedinja againt most offense team. Gloom and Lickytung form the defensive backup of the team, adding Bulky Machoke to help against dark types (mostly knock off). In the last i need some form of speed control + hazzard control, Fletchinder work nicely bc of Gale Wings + HDB + Defog. I dont wanted to use G-Mime bc can be spinblocked, but is a option if you want.

:Duosion: :Shedinja: :Gloom: :Lickitung: :Machoke: :Fletchinder:
https://pokepast.es/b5ba639524996ea0

The team doenst have a true flyng resist making weak to Farfetch.

:Vullaby: :Oranguru: :Silvally-ice: :Sudowoodo: :Linoone-galar: :Gourgeist-Large:

https://pokepast.es/ecf8e41b079f4e76

This is a HO team. I will now be telling the usage of each mon separately.
:ss/vullaby: This pokemon's main job is to defog the hazard to which this particular team is slightly weak. Though it has a little attack investment to work in case of tough times (remember that it is amazingly bulky in Def, but not too much in Sp.Def. so switch in carefully). Though mime-g ice beam cannot ohko it without specs and u can easily revenge kill it with knock. (I hope you are never down to fighting mime with vullaby though).

:ss/Oranguru: This particular set has been tailored to maximise the damage on opponent while also trying to minimise the damage faced. Leftovers give it some recovery and nasty plots there to put pressure on opponent (because with +2 it is usually a devastation for your opponent). Psychic/shadowball/focus blast give it good coverage and ensure that very few things stand in front of it.

:ss/Silvally-Ice: Even though physical sets are very popular, just in case of ice vally I prefer special. that's because it lacks coverage in physical movepool and can be completely stopped. Surf can be replaced with air slash if you want coverage for fighting, but you always have gourg and vullaby for that. Thunderbolt can also be switched with U-turn or Parting shot if preferred, but be cautious that if you switch thunderbolt, do switch surf as well because then any water type can put pressure on vally. Multi attack does less than ice beam on this set, but the difference is not much so it can be used to confuse the opponent.

:ss/Sudowoodo: This man has a special place in this team. Not only is it rocker and can hit like a truck, but it also helps this team against TR users. (One should not forget that even though tr isn't much famous right now, anyone who uses it knows that it is one of the best strategy in current ZU.) In case you want coverage against whiscash and you are not terribly needing stealth rock, u may switch it with wood hammer.

:ss/Linoone-Galar: This boy is annoying as hell for your opponents. It can always switch out with ease because of its speed provided with quick feet+toxic orb and parting shot. The main reason of frustration (for the opponent of course) is the fact that this boy is having switcheroo, which means it can always get the opponents eviolite and toxicate them for life or break their strategy in general for example against greedent or pyukumuku. Knock is there cuz that's the most imp move of zu and also a stab. I don't think I even need to explain why it has facade.

:ss/Gourgeist-Large: For one, this particular set is a counter to Persian in general to which the team is extremely vulnerable. the only other counters this team has to it are sudowoodo and hoping your opponent forgets about the inner focus on oranguru (which almost always happens). For two, people may not like the fact that I am using special gourg, especially when its Atk stat is 95 and SpAtk is 58. But there are 3 reasons that make Sp>>Phy. 1) access to nasty plot but not swords dance 2) both power whip and poltergeist miss a lot. 3) It gets giga drain that recovers it and you are not desperately in need of getting the synthesis in a slot. It has flame charge so that it can easily outspeed almost everything wit 1 flame. The main idea is to stay on a knock turn which is nicely absorbed with the colbur berry its holding. Now according to the situation you can use that knock turn to use either np or flame charge. After you have gotten the first np on, you can use a little giga drain to rejuvenate and then go on a victory sweep with shadow ball and giga drain. (Even though its an effective set, a little caution is extremely imp to fully utilise it. E.g., it must be taken care of that mons like vullaby and tranquill are out.)

Last edited:
Ladder tour team dump

https://pokepast.es/b71d392270a8a784 :Glalie::dusclops::ivysaur::corsola::vullaby::mr. mime:
Glalie Kanto Mime balance - straight forward balance team that uses Glalie as the hazard setter, which is imo an underrated mon in the meta that has a good matchup vs Vullaby, Wartortle and Dartrix, 3 of our 4 main hazard removers. I also built this team to use Mr.Mime Kanto which is imo a very underrated breaker.
https://pokepast.es/a02a0852719ded10 :gourgeist::mr. mime-galar::palpitoad::klang::mienfoo::trubbish:
WP Gourg Hazard Stack - Well, gourgeist is super strong and the idea is to weaken the opposing team with hazard stack and sweep with the pumpkin.

https://pokepast.es/50f25272b5d8c646 :Octillery::linoone-galar::natu::gourgeist-large::klang::wartortle:
Octillery anti stall - I built this specially for Zugubu since he likes stally builds that didn't really pack good Water resists. Natu is excellent at punishing his usual Cufant+Trubbish hazard stack core and the rest was mostly to cover weaknesses. Overall a pretty decent team despite that lack of entry hazards though.
https://pokepast.es/74db7361f015d910 :silvally::magnemite::corsola::vullaby::dusclops::ivysaur:
Silv Ice Magnemite Balance - This one was also made to abuse Zugubu's 100% Cufant usage but unfortunately I didn't get a good mu with this one. The idea is pretty simple, trap Cufant and go nuts with Silv. The rest of the team is a standard balance core.

Apagogie

Zee you later
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
:Grookey: :Trevenant: :Swoobat: :Musharna: :Carkol: :Dedenne:
https://pokepast.es/78591b9f6b3ebea6

Twitt gave me the idea to try again a grassy spam archetype with the new drops and it's done with almost only new mons. Basically, we have a really threaten combo between Trevenant + Swoobat + Musharna which eat most of the teams in their own way. Carkol allows the team to have something which switch in more or less easier on Pikachu and with hazard control/stack hazards. Dedenne was a mon I wanted to test but it's not a terrible choice here considering grass spam is weak to Vullaby and Dedenne is certainly the mon which is the most effective against this little bird. It's a fun but effective team in the current meta which abuses the most broken mon for the time they are allowed in ZU.

Some battles :
Against ShiwftyShiftry
Against Tuthur1
Against 275p
Against risin glory
Against TestingManReborn

Last edited:

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
4 New Teams!
HippoCar Core Balance
:hippopotas: :carkol: :shiinotic: :gastly: :ivysaur: :fraxure:
Hippo and Car have a funny relationship as two walls that support each other with hazards and sand. Shiinotic and Ivysaur help patch the compounding Water- and Grass-type weaknesses these two have, with the latter being an essential stallbreaker for the team. Gastly is a great scarf user in this meta, 1HKOing other fast mons like scarf Stonjourner and NP Swoobat. Fraxure is the late-game cleaner or mid-game wallbreaker, as SD with Scale Shot is flexible to match what the match up requires from it.
Hail Pika HO
:vulpix-alola: :beartic: :gourgeist-large: :torracat: :lunatone: :pikachu:
Hail is decent for Beartic being pretty sturdy with HDB protecting it from hazards, and it being faster than most of the meta. It's Ice / Fighting coverage is awesome as well, and this HO attempts to supplement a mix of wallbreakers and potential sweepers through Hail and priority. CB Gourg is here for Shadow Sneak cleaning and mid-game wallbreaking, with Trick sealing the deal so even Vullaby isn't safe. Pika is the other wallbreaker / priority sweeper, and is just so strong in this meta. Torra is another pivot alongside Pika, and helps with Intimidate and Flamethrower to check a lot of relevant mons. Luna is the SR user, and the offensive Meteor Beam set demolishes every hazard setter besides Palpitoad.

Hippo Luna
:hippopotas: :vespiquen: :gourgeist-large: :lunatone: :persian: :wartortle:
Another Hippo-centered balance, but this time with its specially defensive set. This investment is awesome for checking the tier's Electric-types, avoiding a 2HKO on 4 SpA Surf Pikachu, and helps alleviate said pressure from Gourg if need be. Vespiqueen and Gourg can deal with opposing Grass-types well enough, and Lunatone again helps a lot with opposing setters and also is a decent wincon with Rock Polish. Persian and defensive Flip Turn Wart help the team out as pivots,

Pika BO
:pikachu: :dunsparce: :stonjourner: :vespiquen: :klang: :gourgeist:
This team centers around Pikachu as a wallbreaker, pivot, and priority sweeper! The little mouse is helped out by Dunsparce, which is a decent phys wall with two status options in Body Slam and Toxic, which pretty much threatens everything, and Stealth Rock to boot. Scarf Stonjourner is very helpful, and might just be the best scarfer there is rn for its power and awesome physbulk / typing that makes it very unlikely to succumb to priority. Vespiquen and Klang make for complimentary special walls together, although they stack Fire-type weaknesses that Ston has to pick up the weight for. CB Gourg is a final priority cleaner / wallbreaker that again works really well to hammer the opposing team down.

All teams have seen tour / ladder success thus far! Early notes on teambuilding 2 days into the new meta:
  • Priority users are plentiful and powerful. It's expanded since last month's Shadow Sneak and Fake Out spammers, with more users of the aforementioned attacks as well as Extreme Speed and Grassy Glide becoming noteworthy now as well.
  • Choice Scarf users are also very valuable on top of, and not in place of, priority users. Last meta didn't see that much use of scarfers, but now Stonjourner, Gastly, Torracat, Gourgeist-L, Mr. Mime, and Stoutland may see some serious use.
  • Hazard control improved, with Vespiquen and Togetic probably being the new stars to give Vullaby some competition in this regard, but also Carkol should be considered for its bulk and Rapid Spin.
  • There's a lot of good Rock-types! Wow!
  • Psychic-, Grass-, Normal-, and Rock-type checks are super needed on every team. It might be easier for Grass- and Normal-type resistances, but there's a lack of consistent answers to Psychic. Fire-type checks are somewhat rare was well, making Lampent and Torracat more viable from what I've seen.
  • Defensive setup sweepers, most notably Musharna, Bellosum, and Grassy Seed Swoobat are dangerous, and you ought to have Taunt, Trick, and other phazing options while these threats are popular; needless to say there's offensive pressure that exists too that works just as well.

Havin' fun loving all 22 drops oh yeah yeah! Hope you guys like the teams :)

1597591392375.png1597591412731.png1597591429139.png1597591440991.png1597591455643.png1597591475084.png

https://pokepast.es/5f08927f06e6fc66
I wish people would post and share teams more, so I figured I shouldn't be hypocritical. Plus the likelihood of any teams getting shared during ZUPL seems minimal. The team itself is pretty easy to use but it does have some tough situations you can find yourself in. It is not perfect but you surely will acquire some wins with it. (Also hopefully no Pika ban)

The team started with a basic Shiinotic Vespiquen core. Vespiquen has been pretty neat addition to the tier, HDB defog is super nice as long as you have something that can switch into a knock off and deal with pikachu which is precisely what Shiinotic does, while also fishing for status. The core isnt as simple as that but for the most part they are pretty nice together. Currently SpD vespiquen but im not completely sold on it.

I added Ivysaur to help relieve some of the pressure that just those 2 take on. While it isnt a super fat and take anything, it is bulky enough with eviolite while adding a toxic immunity. Also, overall Ivysaur is just an aweome mon. It has enough speed to outspeed base 50 Adamant/Jolly

I put Grapploct on the team cuz boy do i really hate Klang. I could end it there but Ill briefly say that PuP is a pretty neat set that puts a lot of pressure on the opposing team to take care of the threat. Even if they switch into something like their own vespiquen or whatever check they are using, they are at risk of taking a +1 Ice Punch (+1 252+ Atk Grapploct Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vespiquen: 180-212 (52.3 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) The set does trade off brutal swing for some priority in Sucker Punch, and honestly I've enjoyed it better. Being +1 is usually pretty scary for the opposing team and usually results in them trying to handle the threat in front of them which results in a solid boosted Sucker Punch. This set does have 92 speed investment to outspeed things like SpD Klang and Dunsparce. It also is EVd to outspeed 8 Speed Dartirx, even though that mon has not seen too much daylight lately. So you could probably lose some of that speed investment.

Next, well.... Pikachu is h*ckin awesome. This is probably my favorite drop and I hope it doesnt get banned. I opt for the 4 physical moveset as opposed to dropping Fake Out or Volt Tackle for Volt Switch or Surf. Ive just had more success doing so and plus on this team there is a Seadra. There isnt much I have to say about this thing other then it is a threat.

Lastly, we have Scarf Seadra, who I think is underused. It isnt exceptional but the speed tier along with being one of the few offensive water types AND having Flip Turn makes it quite viable. I like Specs as well but i really needed to be able to outpace Scarf Stonjourner and be able to revenge kill a swoobat, or even just break the sub for pikachu to finish off. It also is able to handle Klang if it has been knocked off. (252 SpA Seadra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Klang: 117-138 (36.1 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO) While not the most impressive calc it is able to take care of things that I feel it needs to take care of. Also the speed is to outspeed base 70 Timid/Jolly which allows you to run Modest Seadra. You will get outpaced by Scarf Gastly and scarfed base 80s unless you change to Timid Seadra.

Overall, like i stated, the team isn't flawless but it is pretty fun and not too difficult to use. Does struggle switching into Stonjourner, Beheeyem or even Oranguru (Musharna, but pls ban). Silvally-Ice and Beartic are pretty tough to handle, and the team even has some trouble with Emolga's dual STAB. If you are able to play and switch aggresively into Pikachu and Seadra you can find yourself in a lot of good positions. While finding ways to get into them safely doesnt seem easy, Vespiquen can pivot out and the threat of status from effect spore on Shiinotic make the prediction game a little less tougher.

Last edited:
ZUPL is over for me so here are my teams, I only have two though rip so gunna chuck in some others from my builder too.

ZUPL week 3 vs tko
:mr mime: :pikachu: :Zweilous: :Vespiquen: :Hippopotas::klang: https://pokepast.es/c27af25a414e96fe
Zweilous, Vespiquen and Hippopotas are the pretty good defensive core albeit all weak to ice but that where klang comes in acting a an ice resist and a great win con. Then I just have two ridiculously strong wallbreckers in the form of modest choice specs mime and light ball pikachu. The pikachu speed of 263 is to outspeed +speed nature base 70's with the rest being dumped into spa for a more powerfull volt switch.
S/O cash for the idea for the team.
ZUPL week 5 vs ttk
:Bellossom::Grapploct::emolga: :Vespiquen::Stonjourner::klang: https://pokepast.es/f65a089fb2655fee
The purpose of the team is for Bellossom to sweep. Bellossom evs are for maximising its bulk whilst outspending +speed base 70 's after a quiver dance. Safeguard is a cool tech that allows bellossom to avoid status for 5 turns so get set up freely without any worries or 50/50's that sub has to deal with. To support the bellossom sweep I have t spikes to help deal with bulky grasses like shiinotic and Gourgeist. Octolock Grapploct also helps bellossom sweep by trapping counters such and vespiquen and klang.
S/O tack for the idea.
252+ Atk Grapploct Ice Punch vs. -2 248 HP / 4 Def Vespiquen: 330-390 (96.2 - 113.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
ZUPL week 3 (Procrastinasian) vs kiyo
:ivysaur: :Palpitoad::Grapploct::Vullaby::Stonjourner::klang: https://pokepast.es/51e5b9cfa5579602
Not sure how this works as Procrastinasian forgot to upload his replay LOL.
Dont have much to say apart from a cool tech that spd ivy is 3hitko by specs ice beam from Whiscash which can catch your opponent off guard

252+ SpA Choice Specs Whiscash Ice Beam vs. 240 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Ivysaur: 126-150 (39.2 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Fruity balance
:Whiscash: :Beheeyem::Hippopotas::Vespiquen::Stonjourner::pikachu: https://pokepast.es/041d2db8729c6717
Very solid and fun balance team with specs Whiscash and defensive nasty plot Beheeyem. Beheeyem is itemless to help take poltergeist. Team is kinda weak to Mr Mime-Galar but I mean arn't all teams.
S/O a fruitshop owner for building the team and giving me permission to share.
Fire/water/grass fun build
:lampent::Whiscash::ivysaur::Vespiquen::Stonjourner::pikachu: https://pokepast.es/dc3208eb33df6a8a
Very fun team to use and is aesthetically pleasing.Nothing else to add.
S/O Czim for building the team.
Webs with last resort stoutland heat
:Charjabug::Stonjourner::Stoutland: :Lampent::Mr. Mime-Galar::Pikachu: https://pokepast.es/60117d232d435193
Webs isn't bad and I will fight anybody who says otherwise. Charjabug has 76 atk evs so it can 3hitko defensive hattrem. Memento on lampent is to help prevent defog and also to help bring in stoutland. There is no defog prevention on this team so play aggressively to keep those webs up .Defoggers don't really get a chance to defog as the whole team pressures them alot. If you do get deffoged on then charabug is bulky enough to get up webs a second time in most cases
S/O me for building something without help
Stored power Mr Mime
:Mr. Mime-Galar::Beheeyem::Dunsparce::Vibrava: :Gourgeist: :Stonjourner: https://pokepast.es/13dabb4fdc907967
This team is wack but also fun to use. Iron defence makes mime surprisingly bulky and allows you to not get revenged by pikachu
252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu Fake Out vs. +2 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Mr. Mime-Galar: 27-32 (8.9 - 10.5%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu Extreme Speed vs. +2 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Mr. Mime-Galar: 53-63 (17.4 - 20.7%) -- possible 5HKO
S/O missangelic for the build

Thank you for reading and hope you have success using these teams

Last edited:

Bag of Trixx

I like to call it a passion
is a Pre-Contributor
Although I didn't personally have the best record for my first ZUPL, I still felt like sharing some of the teams I'd built for the current SS ZU. But, first and foremost: shout-outs. MASSIVE shout-outs to 5gen and SBPC for picking me up for this tour. ZU isn't necessarily my forte, but with the sheer amount of effort you two put in throughout each and every week, and showing me the tier more and more has shined a new light for me here. Also, 275p, this man came in clutch SO MANY TIMES with the incredible, innovative ideas regarding each generation of ZU, as well was always there to test, build, or bounce ideas off of whenever I was available, so thank you! ManOfMany zugubu royale tlenit and OranBerryBlissey10 were also amazing in this department as well, when it came to dropping some innovation or some tests whenever possible, so that was always clutch. But in reality, shout-out to all the Pay Day Persians. Every person there put in the finest effort so going out strong like this is something we should hold our heads high for. We did great. Nothing to be ashamed of.

With that being said, here were the teams.

vs CashKP

1600315359989.png

Let's be honest lol, this was not a game I was supposed to realistically have a chance in. I had a Cosmo Goth T-spikes team vs a team full of mons with rest, a Bronzor AND a Zweilous. So, good prep on Cash's part for bringing those respective picks even though not having any replays to scout in order to establish common trends or anything. I think his idea for the team was more so to just cover the entirety of the meta or be able to most reliably check Swoobat as best as possible because Swoobat is the easiest mon for someone "new" to the tier to pick up and cheese a win from their opponent. I however, took a defensive approach for my first game because I felt very strongly about this team as a whole. It didn't seem to have any blatantly obvious weaknesses at the time (outside of the ultimate Bronzor + Zweilous) and through testing I won with this quite effortlessly vs several different styles of teams.

So even though this game was looking like it was over on preview just based on the team Cash brought, he actually gave me several chances that game in which I could've pulled the game back and won late-game with Goth + Vespiquen. I never let my Vespiquen take a Toxic, which would be critical for being able to always pivot on Zweilous and other things assuming I never lost my Boots. However I think the biggest misplay for me that game was ultimately not risking the +2 and confused Grapploct turn 3 of the game, vs Cash's Machoke. This was a risk I absolutely had to go for because Cash should have never risked his Machoke, but during the match I never expected him to ever give me this chance. Had I taken this, and had I killed Machoke by turn 3, ultimately Vespi's infinite pivoting on Zweilous was inevitable, meaning eventually Gothitelle would do it or force Eiscue to belly drum in order to win, which meant I could easily revenge-kill with Scarf Raichu since he'd never be able to get his Salac berry. There were other misplays made by Cash that game as well, such as risking his Bronzor vs my Grapploct when I could have easily Brutal Swing'd when it was really low, but again; I never expected him to give me these opportunities. Had I taken them, this game could have gone an entirely different path. I made some key mistakes that game as well, such as not taking my additional chip damage with Volt Switch from Raichu (forgot Pikachu was Static due to event) and U-turn from Vespi as well as not risking my Grapploct a bit more early on in the game. But once again, had I taken some more risks with Grapploct (even though I should have never theoretically been given the opportunity), this game could have gone my way, albeit an extremely tough MU since my main wincon of the team is inevitably useless for a vast majority of the game.

Nevertheless, I'm still proud of this team I made as well as the EV spreads designed I think were justifiable for this team. In fact, I believe the Vespi EV spread is vastly more significant than the current suggested EV spread. 48 Spe on Vespiquen allows it to outspeed all variants of Grapploct, especially considering since I had Air Slash in order to help bypass it and Machoke once it's severely weakened in order to effectively prevent a Knock Off. The Gothitelle EV spread is ironically enough something I had created for PUPL but ultimately never brought it - however, coincidentally the mons who I specifically designed it for dropped to ZU alongside Goth, so the spread was still practical lol. Timid nature alongside 108 EVs allows Gothitelle to always outspeed Adamant Trevenant, meaning you can actually Cosmic Power in front of Trev when it goes for Poltergeist. When that happens, Weakness Policy pops and then you are granted a free Rest since they have to switch (assume Choice Band). The 152 Def allows Goth to do two very specific things: the first, is to always take a CB Poltergeist at +1 defense from Adamant Trevenant. the second however, is much more practical: being able to not be 2HKOd from Choice Scarf Stonjourner's Stone Edge unless crit. I originally had Taunt over Sleep Talk, in order to 100% Vullaby and Bronzor funnily enough in testing, but Sleep Talk was much more dependable. However, Goth was not supposed to take the Poltergeist too early, so that's why defensive itemless Gourgeist-Large was here, paired with Toxic to further weaken T-Spikes immune mons such as Vespiquen (which did happen that game) as well as Vullaby. Carkol (shout-out my PUPL team) was actually kinda garbage lol. But it was really the only thing that could actually fit here: a spinner who could check Mr. Mime-Galar as well as a hazard setter to further chip away alongside Toxic Spikes. 32 SpA allows Carkol to always 2HKO Mr. Mime Galar with Flamethrower and Rock Blast was important for bypassing Sub Swoobat, hence the Sassy nature instead of a -Atk nature.

Even though I lost, this team was still great in testing and wouldn't ever take that away from the team because it just didn't have the match-up for what it was intended to do.

vs Procrastinasian

1600317699227.png

This game was a bit confusing tbh. Realistically I had the tools to win with Emolga and Stoutland, and Mr. Mime 1000% wins this game assuming I get rid of the Grookey and never sack my Emolga for his Mr. Mime-Galar respectively. So, on preview I have the tools to win. I even get the correct lead on Emolga vs any of the mons weak to Flying. However, this was not the case. Procrastinasian makes a crazy, insane, and arguably awful play Turn 1 vs Emolga by choosing to Bulk Up, fully disregarding Emolga (especially considering Specs Emolga is crazy strong) is the biggest fear to his team. +1 Sucker Punch doesn't even kill Emolga anyway, which meant he is forced to Ice Punch the following turn if he wishes to get the kill on Emolga. Because +1 Sucker doesn't kill, it is mind-blowing he decided to just try and win turn 1. But, it worked out for him in the end because I ended up getting 6-0'd off lead Grapploct because of this again- arguably awful decision. In hindsight, perhaps I could have considered using Choice Specs Emolga and just killing everything in my pathway or maybe I should have just Air Slashed turn 1, but again staying in to Bulk Up is not a smart play because that is a costly decision if the outcome fails. Hindsight's 20/20. So, it's actually hard to tell what happened here. Some may look at it as getting an incredibly picture-perfect scenario where overprediction costs me the game just after the first turn or the opponent makes the most insane prediction of his ZUPL career all tournament, but some also can look at it as poor decisions made by both players rewards one of them with essentially a free win. Perhaps it's a combination of all three scenarios. Regardless, I will not take the glory away from him and I will give him the benefit of the doubt and/or give credit where credit is due for making that play turn 1. GGs. :]

So, in further testing after this game; I decided to forego Toxic Spikes on Vespi and give it Air Slash with the same 48 Spe because this team ain't gonna get bopped by the damn octopus with boxing gloves ever again lol. EV spread is basically flipped from defensive to specially defensive, since Machoke handles most of the scary physical attackers with relative ease. 80 SpD on Machoke allows it to take even Choice Specs Raichu's Thunderbolts comfortably enough to avoid the 2HKO whilst still nullifying Stonjourner from doing anything. I felt Heavy-Duty Boots was necessary on Emolga because this team is rather weak to Stealth Rocks assuming Vespi doesn't get to Defog. Expert Belt or even Choice Specs could be used here with some tweaking to the team.

Despite the game, I am once again not really too depressed with the team because in testing it did exactly what it wanted to do: have Stoutland and Stonjourner blast through all the fat stuff so that way Mr. Mime-Galar can effortlessly sweep the opposing team and let Machoke deal with the absurdly powerful Klang. And ironically enough, if I had switched the order in which I brought these teams, THOSE actually were the ideal conditions for each of these teams to win more comfortably lol. Thank you for checking out these teams, and good luck to anyone who uses them!

Once again, thank you to 5gen and SBPC as well as all of the Persians for welcoming me to the tier, as I have not really dabbled in ZU since gen7.

This is a fun team I've had some success with on the ladder, and I figured it couldn't hurt to share it since DLC drops in less than two weeks.

ZU Trojan Horse
:pyukumuku: :ivysaur: :machoke: :klang: :gothitelle: :emolga:

At first glance, this lineup appears to be a stall team thanks to the presence of stall staples like Pyukumuku, Ivysaur, and Klang. However, this is actually an offensive unit that seeks to gain momentum and pressure teams through the element of surprise and Pyukumuku’s access to screens/Memento – a unique combination possessed by only three fully-evolved, legal Pokemon in Gen 8.

Team Description

Sun Sweeper Ivysaur is the star of this team. It has excellent coverage, with only Lampent, Bulletproof Hakamo-o, and Drakloak, resisting, or being immune to, its STABs and fire-type Weather Ball. Chlorophyll also makes Ivysaur faster than pretty much everything under the sun, but Life Orb in lieu of Eviolite does makes it susceptible to revenge killing through priority.

The same cannot be said for Shift Gear Klang, who is both bulkier and resistant to some of the tier’s most common forms of priority (i.e. Fake Out, Extreme Speed). Klang can either use these traits to avenge Ivysaur’s death, or otherwise take the lead if enemy revenge killers are alive and well.

Pyukumuku should look to create opportunities for its teammates a couple times a game. Memento might seem redundant with Reflect and Light Screen, but Memento offers momentum that the former moves do not. Whereas Recover is almost mandatory on the standard version of Pyukumuku, I prefer Mirror Coat to punish teams who employ Electric-type leads who wish to Volt Switch out of the gates (i.e. Emolga, Raichu, Pikachu).

Offensive Machoke is a good physical wallbreaker who provides Knock Off utility, priority in Bullet Punch, and can support Gothitelle by breaking many of the Pokemon that thwart her setup efforts. I have always been of the opinion that Gothitelle is an underrated wincon who can seal a lot of victories if supported properly, and Machoke helps by removing Klang and Dark-types for her.

Specs Emolga is a good alternative to lead if you don’t wish to employ Pyukumuku immediately. Truthfully, Emolga’s presence here is as much about deception as anything else. Its access to Encore, Taunt, Defog, and Volt Switch means it could conceivably function on stall teams, so it doesn’t look out of place here.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Hatt + Specs Mag Balance
:hattrem: :magmar: :falinks: :vullaby: :palpitoad: :Lycanroc-Midnight:

SO Union Caboche for the obtuse STABless Hattrem set that actually works out really well here. Giga Drain and Nuzzle Hattrem are perfect support to Choice Specs Magmar, as it wears down bulky Waters while also stopping entry hazards from coming in all game. Specs Mag also destroys the tier with perfect Fire / Ground coverage, and preserving its bulk with hazards off the field makes it a monster. Special Def Vullaby is a needed Gourg and Psychic-type check that offers pivoting, Knock Off, and Toxic now that it doesn't need Defog. Palp is solid Ground-type that covers the team's rain MU well enough, but watch out for Energy Ball Emolga and scout with Vullaby when needed; it can wall non Choice Specs Emolga anyways. Falinks is an all-out attacker that cleans teams not with setting up, but often with the strong First Impression to complement its strong coverage. Scarf Lyc is the needed speed and Normal resistance for the team, meaning that it can switch into Stoutland or Bouf in a pinch if it needs to dent with with CC.
Replays:
VS rain: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8zu-1217219682
VS similar balance: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8zu-1217200754
VS Bouf + Ivy balance: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8zu-1216878098

Grassy Terrain + Mush
:grookey: :musharna: :Mudbray: :mareanie: :gourgeist: (Small) :silvally: (Rock)

A little bit of a newer team of an older playstle, this takes the Grassy Terrain staples and brings back the ZUBL titan Musharna into play. The set I went with is full physdef, Psychic, and Moonblast as the interchangeable factors for the mon. I think it performs so well with all that physbulk that it can guarantee a few turns of CM and then have a strong Psychic / Fairy combo to sweep. Other teams may opt for Stored Power, Heal Bell, and different spreads to Mush, but this set does well by capitalizing in only a few turns. SilvRock is a cool specially-baised mixed set, and utilizes strong Grass / Fire coverage in Terrain Pulse and Flamethrower to nail common Rock resistant mons (Mawile, Klang, Hippo, Mud, Falinks, ect.), and boosts both sides with Work Up. Mareanie and Mud are the special and physical walls that offer hazards and reliable bulk. Watch out for opposing offensive Gourgs, and don't let Spikes teams get too many hazards up without paying for it.

Last edited:
Just to steal Ho3n's likes follow Ho3n i'll drop some teams here that i've been having fun with for this meta

:Wigglytuff::Drednaw::meowstic::golduck::emolga::beartic:
https://pokepast.es/9f1bd500bc6fedff - Basic Rain - Do you hate your opponents and maybe yourself? Use this, i won't explain too much

:Grookey::Rapidash-Galar::Gourgeist:(large like ur mom):Silvally:(rock):Metang::Slowpoke:
https://pokepast.es/e05f548b4db1edc4 - Grassy Gorse - Fun new variation of grassy terrain featuring Gorse and PuP Metang, very good to prey on rain, especially with Slowpoke being a great pivot to bring in the big guns

:Shuckle::falinks::gourgeist:(small):Heatmor::HAttrem::Silvally:(ice)
https://pokepast.es/5228c61c363c4997 - Basic Webs - Cool new version of webs with Falinks, Shuckle and Gourg-Small featuring Heatmor.

:Mareanie::Dubwool::Heatmor::Falinks::Metang::gourgeist:(large)
https://pokepast.es/e86acb94872e97f0 - Dumbwool knock spam - Wanted to build around the sheep and went with a balance build with Knock spam + Tspikes that can easily let dubwool sweep since some Dubwool checks like Mareanie rely on their Eviolite a lot. This team is very weak to Magmar tho so watch out for it. I found that the hard way :(

:Seaking::Silvally:(bug):Hattrem::Grapploct::Mawile::Gourgeist:(small)
https://pokepast.es/ef66e1dc8e23b972 - Seaking Bugvally voltturn - Just a bulky offense team I built around Seaking which is a pretty underrated pick, Silv-Bug is also a pretty solid Gorse/Mush/Falinks check. Also went with Grapploct which is still pretty menacing, but a bit overshadowed by Falinks. Offensive mawile also performed very well on tests.

Last edited:
idk, adamant is to make more damage, and 218 is a cool number, instead of 215 :blobshrug:
12+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Mareanie: 256-304 (84.4 - 100.3%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO
Maybe a bit more in attacks to make 100% after stealth rock or 1 layer of spikes??
Edit: 40+ make the ohko after SR damage

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)