PU Leader
Approved by Akir
Inspired partially by the previous iteration of Player of the Week as well as
Player Interview
lapras gif.gif

tlenit1
Favorite Pokemon: Lapras.
Most used mon in SS PU: Dusknoir. :dusknoir:
Most known for: PU Council Member, manager of the Droaking Drakloaks, PU Driver, makes cool sets.
togetic.png
Yo tlenit, how are you doing today?

lapras pr.png
All good for now. Third week of my summer holiday started and in couple weeks in can get back to work to actually recover of all this

togetic.png
Good shit, hope you're enjoying this break! Can you tell us a bit about yourself outside of Smogon?

lapras pr.png
Sure, just a regular 25yo lad from Helsinki, Finland who spends most of his time with friends playing sports and poker. Outside of smogon I tend to travel a lot as well. Corona hasnt really limited this - only changed the destination, more inland travelling than mideurope.

togetic.png
That's awesome! Moving onto mons and PU as a whole, I feel like you had a very interesting character arc from a sort of peculiar PU ladderer to now. Can you tell us a bit about how you got involved in the PU community?

lapras pr.png
In the first place when I joined to Showdown I used to play RU. At that time it was highest tier without terrains which i absolutely hated. Like any tier, it might get exhausting at some point and I eventually tried my wings in NU and PU. The latter had more variancy, unexplored mons and more active ladder. Ladder as a whole has always been very controversial for some reason. I spend most of my time laddering and I do respect fellow ladder goons for doing so. From PU ladder I found my first PS friend klines who convinced me to stay and not go back to RU, which I'd say was great decision afterwards

togetic.png
Glad you're here to stay! A lot surely has changed since then. This gen so far has definitely been one of opportunities for you, granting you the possibility of being on council as well as being a manager for PUPL. What has been a new piece of knowledge that you've acquired regarding tiering since becoming a council member?

lapras pr.png
Probably seeing the show behind curtains and being able to understand why something was done. Before I joined I felt some of the decisions wasnt explained well enough. One of the first things I wanted to push through was transparency and closing the gap between council and players. We all want the same, which is pushing PU forward to be better tier as a whole. After few weeks brainstorming the format how to do it, council minutes was introduced. This has helped to gain more thoughts from community and see things in different perspective as well. I personally enjoy a lot of competitive discussions, so no complains :>

togetic.png
Its great that you bring the whole thing about transparency since its a subject I wanted to touch upon. We've talked extensively in the past about being communicative and transparent in this community, and how that communication can help the tier as a whole. To you, whats the value of sharing ideas in the community through the forums/Discord/PS Room? This can be in the form of meta discussion, showcasing sets/teams or simply talking about the community in general. How would you incentivize more people to get their voice out there, no matter their position in the tier?

lapras pr.png
Thats actually great question. I'd say the value for me is to break the tier and develop myself same time. Every player does have their own comfort zones and deviating from them can be hard sometimes. Having these meta discussions, showcasing sets can be very enriching as well. If you are newer player I'd recommend to just go for it. You have nothing to lose and in the best case of scenario someone with more experience can develop the new set/spread into more dangerous weapon. We all start from somewhere and for me as example, I started to mess around with RMT's and Underrated sets in SM PU.

togetic.png
And thats a great answer! Unapologetically try your best to make shit move forward. We'll talk more about set innovation and techs later on but I wanted to touch on PUPL for a minute! As mentioned previously, you managed the PUPL team the Loaking Drakloaks this year, and while the team was just short of making playoffs, im sure that you enjoyed the experience as much as it was a learning process. Can you share some of your favorite moments from this PUPL involving your team.

lapras pr.png
Being first time manager indeed was fun. The draft went as planned and no big meltdowns there. In this specific tournament I think creating the draft plan, meeting new people and giving opportunity to new PU players were the most entertaining parts. We ended up being 1 point too short from playoffs which is naturally unfortunate. Lot of 3-5 losses and 3 or 4 ties just tells how good competition for playoff spot it has been. Turning one of those would have changed many things. Anyway, my main draftplan idea was to get lot of competitive players together who could have great time together and gets along well. Better luck next year and I hope for all the guys some good runs in their future tours

togetic.png
I'm glad it was an enjoyable experience. Hoping to see more tlenit teams in the future! During this PUPL you played a good amount of SM vs. diverse players such as Taskr, Raichy, Trixx. What do you think of the SM PU tier in its current state and how has it evolved since the generation ended?

lapras pr.png
Actually I haven't been biggest fan of SM PU in this tour. Mostly, because my expectations were too high for it. As every old gen there is a lot of recycling to save time. Altho there has been few players I have enjoyed to follow like yandaud and twitch.tv/Bag_of_Trixx . Both of them has brought good amount of fresh builds with cool sets. Especially Yandaud who has always been one of the better builders in SM PU started this tournament extremely strong.

togetic.png
And both of those players are playing this week! Finally reaching the finals of this PUPL means means seeing the most hype matches where the stakes are as high as they could be. Which are some highlight matches you wouldn't wanna miss this week?

lapras pr.png
I'd say for finals Star vs. Ktut is outshadowing other pairs. Two great players and looking forward to see how far they can take their teams. As secondary pick I definitely want to point Trixx vs. Skipkan. Two very different players and both good at doing their own thing. LST tried to CT Skipkan once and that didnt work out too well. Interesting to see how Trixx tries to go around this time

togetic.png
On the topic of highlight, this PUPL has definitely managed to showcase new talent. Which have been some of these "new" players in the community that have surprised you this PUPL through their performances?

lapras pr.png
Well, I wouldnt say either of Yandaud and ggopw are the newest players, but players that most people probably didnt know. As of a newer player for these circumstances I'd say you, keppy , have been very solid on your own. Taking into account you have built your own teams as well.

togetic.png
I get what you mean, definitely been a fun tour to see whats up with this new gen and its players. Moving onto one of our recurring segments, "Spill the Sinistea", I wanted to ask you a question that might be slightly compromising LOL. I'm sure you've explored hundreds of options for different Pokemon to make them function in a certain way. Which is one of the worst sets you've come up with that you initially thought had potential?

lapras pr.png
Oh man, theres bunch of cool sets, but heres few;
-Worked: WP Gourgeist w/ flame charge, SD+Dig powerherb Ninjask, SD-taunt-sub stall breaking Perrserker, Hail-Wpool-sub-tect Eiscue (thanks to Ho3nConfirm3d for introducing this beginning of the gen in ZU), Banded Eiscue, psych terrain+expanding force kadabra.

-Didnt go that well: sub-stomping tantrum-facade-toxic stoutland (this has potential tho), physical Mr. Rime (absolute dog shit even with base 85atk), Specs/Poison Barb skrelp (ngl, probably the funniest thing i have been playing with in this gen), Reversal-blaze kick-BU-SUB raboot with salac berry, endure WP Morpeko (this has some potential as well)

togetic.png
Thats a great list, thank you for the elaborate answer! Finally, care to mention some of your favorite people from this community?

lapras pr.png
Im really bad at shoutouts, but theres a lot of people to go through. Heres few I have spent some quality time; kLines, Xiri , 2xTheTap , Urusius , Quagg , 85percent , all great lads and many more. To all those who I hang daily/weekly basis, I have massive respect and hope you guys know it, cheers

togetic.png
Lovely people, thank you so much for your time. Keep up the great work in the community!

lapras pr.png
Thanks for having me :>

Mr. tlenit was kind enough to not only share one build, but TWO! What an absolutely crazy guy!!!!!!
:morpeko: :roselia: :eiscue: :wigglytuff: :flareon: :dugtrio-alola:

Use it on your own risk lol. Such a typical build I like to put together whenever something new drops. A basic idea of tspikes+morpeko sub-tect-aura set and 4 fillers to mess around. This time I forced to include two extra drops in this team (SpD flareon+SubTect A-Duggy). The team itself doesnt really make any sense, but its quite fun triple protect+sub spam. Idea is to try force tspikes up and start spamming protect+sub with everymon.

:skrelp: :raboot: :unfezant: :silvally-ice: :lilligant: :boltund:

Heres another p-barb Skrelp squad I liked to meme on ladder. Nothing too serious, but hey, it doesnt need to be like that always :>

Thank you all for reading this new iteration of Player of the Week once again! As always, feedback is welcome!

ASK MR. TLENIT SOME QUESTIONS REGARDING GEESE OR FUNNY SETS OR WHATEVER ELSE!

Last edited:
Nice inteview! I also have some questions:

1) When did you start playing competitive Pokemon and how did you get into it?
2) I remember two RMTs you made pretty early on (which btw are no longer visible in your sig - don't know what's up with that) - Guzzlord stall, and Toxic Spikes with Sub Protect Combusken and Sub Sawsbuck. Why this love of residual damage? Do you think you have a unique understanding of how Pokemon, and specifically passive damage, works? Something you think others might be lacking maybe?
3) What kind of music do you like?
4) This is very important: What are you going to bring to our game on Thursday?

Hi tlenit!!!

1) what's ur favourite NFE to use in PU and why?

2) Gimme a team built around ur fav mon - Lapras!

3) How are you able to have so much success with not-very-viable mons? What's ur secret?

4) You didn't mention me in ur shoutouts ;-; ._. .-. (I know u said u were bad at shoutouts b-but...)

P.S thx for SS PU tutoring again. Luv u tlenit :)

Leni

formerly tlenit
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RUPL Champion
hello tlenit, I have some questions for you n_n

1) What is your favorite legendary?

2) The best pokemon of sm pu (in your opinion)

3) What is your favorite sport?

4) Do you like soccer and if so, what is your favorite team?
Ciao Buddy,

1. Favorite legendary must be Moltres. Felt for this while played RU still and it was used pretty much only offensively back then, but decided to give a shot for Moltres pressure-stall and it worked perfectly. Unfort it rose to UU at one point :<

2. This is quite big topic, but to name one, I'll say the broken Drampa. Whenever it gets in it pretty much claims a kill. Out of non-brokens I'd say Stoutland or Sableye.

3. To play floorball. Been playing that myself like 20years and its very popular in Finland. To watch I'd say ice hockey and since the NHL playoffs are up and running; GO BLUES!

4. Ofc I like! Lived year in Leipzig few years ago and got known to few of their players. Since then I became fan of RB Leipzig too. Otherwise as long Gigi Buffon plays, I'll will be rooting for Juventus.

Nice inteview! I also have some questions:

1) When did you start playing competitive Pokemon and how did you get into it?
2) I remember two RMTs you made pretty early on (which btw are no longer visible in your sig - don't know what's up with that) - Guzzlord stall, and Toxic Spikes with Sub Protect Combusken and Sub Sawsbuck. Why this love of residual damage? Do you think you have a unique understanding of how Pokemon, and specifically passive damage, works? Something you think others might be lacking maybe?
3) What kind of music do you like?
4) This is very important: What are you going to bring to our game on Thursday?
Hi Bonnie, where did you leave your Clyde (quagg)?

1. I joined to PS during 2018 or so and started to be more competitive and take part of tournaments somewhere early 2019. This could be easily double checked when PU GAU tour started. This was my first competitive tournament in Smogon where friend of mine Mirbro got me lured in

2. About the signature, wanted to make some space to epic Loaking Drakloaks logo! Also time to replace them with current meta RMT's whenever I decide to make one post with stable meta :>. I don't believe it's anything unique, but more so I have took the time to learn how to rotate this specific game strategy and what exactly needs to be done. For some people it is KangaSpikes, others are very good with HO cheeses and so on. What I do think is sometimes people tends to try build 'perfect' team to cover everything. Unfortunately this isn't possible, most often its enough to realize what mons you're weak to. This gives you knowledge of what you need to do, to play this thing around eg. offensive double, over predicting switches, how to lure X thing in to get your own offensive pressure mon in. And this is what makes good players like Soulgazer/Teddeh so dangerous to play against.

3. I actually listen everything as long its not opera or death metal lol. Very easy going with my music taste

4. Flowers, bcs u definitely deserve them.

Hi tlenit!!!

1) what's ur favourite NFE to use in PU and why?

2) Gimme a team built around ur fav mon - Lapras!

3) How are you able to have so much success with not-very-viable mons? What's ur secret?

4) You didn't mention me in ur shoutouts ;-; ._. .-. (I know u said u were bad at shoutouts b-but...)

P.S thx for SS PU tutoring again. Luv u tlenit :)
Tjenare Bulba!

1. In SM PU it was Combusken. Imo it was always very underrated and had great movepool to be both physical and special attacker. Almost a crime to leave it in ZU. In SS probably Kadabra for now. Became huge fan of expanding force+psych. terrain set to dodge prios and great speed tier top to that

2. Well, this is not around Lapras, but it does include it. https://pokepast.es/8769e2eebc2adc73 , It's built around e-terrain+rising voltage raichu. Not the easiest to roll with, but had some good time.

3. There is really no secrets. It's more so understanding what all they're capable of doing while your opponent doesnt know. This alone gives you upperhand often in preview if your opponent is playing vs. standard set for example. Also testing and giving shot for 'unmons' and 'unsets' definitely is fun. Some of them are worth to try in more competitive scenes like cottonguard-amnesia-rest Bouffalants lol

4. sorry buddy, while we did this it was 4am and finding right tag for all 80 people would have been too much

Think I'm gonna keep asking this question because it's always most interesting to me. What're you reading/watching/playing/listening to/etc.? Whatever media you're into right now
Not much of a reader guy myself, but I do listen podcasts about Poker and sport a lot while working. Its like two birds with one stone.
I just finished watching 4th season of Lucifer on netflix and cant wait to see the fifth and final season. Can highly recommend it to anyone. About the social medias, I don't follow actually any of them. I have never got into those and kinda hate likewhoring and trying to be in spotlight with whatever cost. Like, yeah, i got instagram and so on all the basics, but pretty much never updating

Last edited:

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor
Hi tlenit, I'm gonna keep asking the same questions but unlike zard it's bc I'm just unoriginal.
  1. What's your favorite shiny Pokemon and why?
  2. What was the first Pokemon generation/game that you played?
  3. If you could learn one game competitively and be good at it, what would you pick?
  4. If you had to choose only one TV series to watch for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Leni

formerly tlenit
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RUPL Champion
Hi tlenit, I'm gonna keep asking the same questions but unlike zard it's bc I'm just unoriginal.
  1. What's your favorite shiny Pokemon and why?
  2. What was the first Pokemon generation/game that you played?
  3. If you could learn one game competitively and be good at it, what would you pick?
  4. If you had to choose only one TV series to watch for the rest of your life, what would it be?
1. idk if its just bcs new mon, but morpeko looks ridic stupid as shiny, so ill say that lol
2. I think the first was the original blue/red/yellow with gameboy, but thats pretty much one of the only ones too
3. Definitely Poker. Enjoying it already a lot and the game develops all the time. Other than that CS GO would be fun, unfort my current computer cant carry it that well
4. How I Met Your Mother would be it. Definitely great and entertaining show

fav barba atun quote?

why do you like making people upset? (sawsbusken team mostly)

how did you come up with ur name?

when are you and kLines getting married + am i invited to the wedding?
1. this one was easily; [22:58] golden alpaca: half of my decision moves are made by the beer inside my brain now
2. its the game we play, sorry for that :< great mon with good speed tier, you should try that some time!
3. the name is actually irl nickname without t in frond and t1 in the end
4. You better ask that from kLines and only invited if you stop taking bus selfies

Bag of Trixx

I like to call it a passion
is a Pre-Contributor
TOENAIL!! You already know you are easily one of my favorite PU people so I MUST ask the important questions!!

1) You are always shuffling Poker chips in your hands whenever we talk in Discord, but do you actually play Poker? If so, what's your game?!?!?!? We gotta play some online Poker sometime!

2) On your infamous Combusken-Sawsbuck team from Gen7; although this question might be a little late, but what made you decide on using Sawsbuck of all things? Was it just because it had Serene Grace flinching chances or was there an actual method to your madness?

3) What's your drink of choice?

4) MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION: You gonna give me a rematch or what?!?

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
Some of these may have been asked already (i'm working on an "ask now, read later" basis), sorry in advance if so!

1) What's your favourite non-Pokemon video game, assuming you enjoy any?
2) Do you think there are any up-and-coming PU players that managers should keep an eye on for Snake? (if you/someone else intends to make a separate post abt this feel free to ignore)
3) Thoughts on Scraggy?
4) What's your favourite colour?
5) Favourite ice cream flavour?
6) Top 3 PU gens rfn
7) Favourite type of music? And favourite band/artist, too!

Leni

formerly tlenit
RUPL Champion
TOENAIL!! You already know you are easily one of my favorite PU people so I MUST ask the important questions!!

1) You are always shuffling Poker chips in your hands whenever we talk in Discord, but do you actually play Poker? If so, what's your game?!?!?!? We gotta play some online Poker sometime!

2) On your infamous Combusken-Sawsbuck team from Gen7; although this question might be a little late, but what made you decide on using Sawsbuck of all things? Was it just because it had Serene Grace flinching chances or was there an actual method to your madness?

3) What's your drink of choice?

4) MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION: You gonna give me a rematch or what?!?
Well hello there Trixie! Soon-ish you will hit that 100 post mark!

1. Yes sir! I do play a bunch. Im more of Omaha guy and play 4, 5 and 6 card combinations. Also Coursevel, 7card stud and generally DC is my thing

2. This was actually a small challenge given by kLines back then. Meta was in terrible spot and every team looked exact same, sooooo we decided to turn it a bit more fun (turned out that people really, really hated the team :<). The idea was to use 2 unmons and make them to be viable/good/do actually something and after small scrolling I randomly picked those two mons. I tried to avoid in every possible way all the most commons mons eg. lilligant, mesprit, a-exeggutor, regi, primeap etc etc. The result was Sawsbusken and it left its mark on SM PU lol

3. Strawberry smoothies are on point! But as I know what u really meant, I enjoy a lot gin+ruschian and long drinks (finnish drink).

4. I tried to give you no john, but here I am waiting you to accept my chall :<

Some of these may have been asked already (i'm working on an "ask now, read later" basis), sorry in advance if so!

1) What's your favourite non-Pokemon video game, assuming you enjoy any?
2) Do you think there are any up-and-coming PU players that managers should keep an eye on for Snake? (if you/someone else intends to make a separate post abt this feel free to ignore)
3) Thoughts on Scraggy?
4) What's your favourite colour?
5) Favourite ice cream flavour?
6) Top 3 PU gens rfn
7) Favourite type of music? And favourite band/artist, too!
Hi Lily, whats good :>

1. When I was younger I liked to play CS. Nowadays we play a lot NHL on PS4, but generally I like more 'social' games that can be played multiple people same time

2. I do believe theres few. I dont think im going to make any kind of ranking about Top10 players and like top5-10 up and coming who deserves a shot. To name few names; Skipkan, Keppy, Squash17 all have been underradar for a while and afaik all have signed up for Snake.

3. Scraggoat. Amazing mon with amazing typing. Go scraggy!

4. & 5. Cant remember why I decided it to be green, but thats the one! As ice cream flavour, im flagging for chokolate. Doesnt matter what chokolate it is, im down!

6. SS, SM, EEEEEEEEeeeeeEeehhh DPP, bcs Heysup brought so much fire shit in PUPL. Was really cool to follow

7. I listen pretty much everything, but latest favorite has been Gasellit (finnish band;
). Other than that i dont mind listening artists/band like eminem, tone and i, 21pilots

hi

favorite gimmick hold item?

best poke girl?

what gen8 pu mon do you wish had toxic the most?

best offensive typing in gen8 pu in your opinion?

how many ladder battles have you done in your life at a guess?

Last edited:

Leni

formerly tlenit
RUPL Champion
hi

favorite gimmick hold item?

best poke girl?

what gen8 pu mon do you wish had toxic the most?

best offensive typing in pu in your opinion?

how many ladder battles have you done in your life at a guess?
1. Cant name just one, but red card, bright powder, adrenaline orb, metronome and power herb all offers some cool game changers

2. uhmm what? I have no idea. Ig its the first result google offers;
1597788042563.png

3. Eiscue 100%, wouldnt hurt to have one one Morpeko either. Both would benefit a lot having toxic

4. Right now taking into account how the meta looks ice types have been very good as of late. I dont know why, but lot of teams enjoys having multiple mons weak to ice. Eg. Slash/fisk - driftblim - appletun - unfezant - lilligant - klingklang is probably one of the most seen basic idea for a team rn. Its matter of time when this gets adjusted. As alternative overall best offensive typing I'll say psychics has quite fun time. We still lack lot of dark types unfortunately

edit; 5. Sorry, didnt see this one first. Checked few alts and at least 20k+ pu ladder games. When i ladder i usually try to get 3-5 games running same time to make it interesting

Last edited:

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Why Lapras as your favorite? Is there a story?

Gotta ask about your ideal hamburger. What goes on it?

If you had full free reign over all of the gens, what would you change and why? No rules edition.

Leni

formerly tlenit
RUPL Champion
Why Lapras as your favorite? Is there a story?

Gotta ask about your ideal hamburger. What goes on it?

If you had full free reign over all of the gens, what would you change and why? No rules edition.
1. Best gen 1 design and its the only gen I have played as story mode. Also when I joined PS it was MVP of my first RU stall with its perish trap set. Found it interesting how that set ever could take mons down. Back then never understood how it was PU mon while it handled all the special threats and took care of opposite stalls. Nothing fancy story wise, but probably the one that impressed me back then.

2. Tough one. Hard to say one, but some kind of chili burger. I do enjoy a lot of hot stuff. If we go out with lads and end up eating burgers we always try to aim restaurant called Lucky Bastards. Their Lucky Chili is on spot;
1597796372816.png
. Prolly the favorite one right now.

3. hjad will love this answer, but in gen7 I would have banned lilligant like 6 months earlier and would ban even today Drampa. I think both are (well lilli was) overbearing and does their role very well. This is on borderline to your original question, but after following non-preview games I think it would be dope to have access to pick one mon from opponents side to be revealed before game starts. Aaand what comes to SS I would like to reintroduce z-moves. In my opinion z-moves offers a lot of surprise elements and competitively wisely options. I dont care that much about hidden powers, but I wouldnt be against them

How does it feel to know I'm about to beat you in ZUPL?
Hey buddy, you actually have no idea how much I have been struggling to prep against you. I will most likely end up using a sample team, bcs building is so hard. Did you see my first week team? It got called to be super bad after game and yet I had no idea about it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)