Pokémon GO

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Sorry if I haven't been accepting invites to raids though may still invite others as I've literally ran out of remote raid passes and coins and don't want to have to purchase more coins when I can earn them by having pokemon in gyms up to 500 minutes per day when they get taken down from gyms as I'm in more of a suburban area where gyms don't turnover as much as they would in cities.

I have yet to find an unown raid as they're very hard to find apparently and would only do it if I don't yet already have that particular letter yet though it's tempting to do just for shinies. Since my storage is getting tight, I've been trying to transfer or trade off as much of the unwanted stuff I already have even fully evolved stuff from first generation that I expect to no longer use since they've been outclasses by later generations.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So basically, they're hedging the bets to ensure Charmander gets at least one of them. Who would possibly want a Community Day for one of the most common Pokémon in the game already, or a two-stage literal crapmon? Porygon is the obvious choice here, but having the poll go for top 2 means Charmander is practically guaranteed to be featured.

I actually missed the two previous Community Days without noticing and without much grief. Gastly and Magikarp, meh. When the weather is right, every ordinary day is Magikarp Day anyway, and Gastly has all of October practically to itself. I really miss the days when Community Days featured interesting Pokémon and not bottom-of-the-barrel Gen I junk that spawns on every street corner already.

Expert Evan

I'll be on the lookout for Bouffalant here in the suburbs of Fairfield County in Connecticut as I'm getting reports from numerous friends they've encountered and caught it in the wild, hopefully nowhere as impossible to find as deino and company. While it's not as useful for raiding, it's definitely got regional pokedex purpose in the event I travel and trade with others.

So basically, they're hedging the bets to ensure Charmander gets at least one of them. Who would possibly want a Community Day for one of the most common Pokémon in the game already, or a two-stage literal crapmon? Porygon is the obvious choice here, but having the poll go for top 2 means Charmander is practically guaranteed to be featured.

I actually missed the two previous Community Days without noticing and without much grief. Gastly and Magikarp, meh. When the weather is right, every ordinary day is Magikarp Day anyway, and Gastly has all of October practically to itself. I really miss the days when Community Days featured interesting Pokémon and not bottom-of-the-barrel Gen I junk that spawns on every street corner already.
Also, didn’t Charmander already have a community day as well? Regardless, with COVID, I have not played Go in Months, so I’m not missing out on much.

Additional info about the Community Day voting options.

Voting done over the official Twitter page from 01:00 UTC August 23rd to 01:00 UTC August 24th.
The vote winner gets the September 20th slot, while the runner up get the October 17th slot.
Charmander's CD move would be Dragon Breath.
Caterpie's CD move would be Hurricane.
Grimer/A-Grimer's CD move would be Fire Punch. A-Grimer would be available in raids that day.
Porygon's CD move would be the previously unreleased Tri Attack, which has a chance to drop the opponent's attack and defense.

Welp, looks like Porygon will take one of the months. That drop chance would give Porygon some major battling appeal.

The other three I can see being close. Muk gets a Steel counter, Charmander gets a quick Dragon move, and Caterpie gets one of the strongest Flying moves in the game.

Last edited:

Expert Evan

Last I checked both porygon and charmander had large leads which would've been my 2 preferences anyways since porygon doesn't have a shiny version yet and charizard's move is best for PvP among these choices. Since this will be Charmander's 2nd community day appearance I wonder if it will get one move over the other when we traditionally do the final community day in December as a recap for all past community day pokemon.

With Heatran in raids, it makes me wonder that the best counter for Genesect gets its raids after it is most needed, so thanks Niantic for the after thought until Genesect may ever return in raids again.

September events details are out.

Quick run-down:
  • Research breakthrough reward: Alolan Raichu (shiny available)
  • Legendary Raids
    • August 21st, 1:00pm to September 10th, 1:00pm PDT: Heatran
    • September 10th, 1:00pm to September 18th, 1:00pm PDT: Cresselia
    • September 18th, 1:00pm to September 25th, 1:00pm PDT: Articuno
    • September 25th, 1:00pm to October 2nd, 1:00pm PDT: Zapdos
  • Spotlight Hours at 6:00pm local time every Tuesday
    • September 1st: Eevee; double catch XP
    • September 8th: Houndour; double catch Candy
    • September 15th: Tentacool; double transfer Candy
    • September 22nd: Spearow; double evolution XP
    • September 29th: Skitty; double catch Stardust
  • GO Battle Night: September 24th, 6:00pm to 11:59 local time. Double victory Stardust for winning battles, completing sets of battles, and ranking up in GO Battle League. Increased sets of battles from 5 to 20.
  • Victini Special Research: end of September. Receive Victini if you don't have one, and get more candy if you already do.
  • Jessie and James leave Pokémon GO on September 30th

Different Legendary Raid Bosses each week, Victini Special Research, and more in September!

Trainers,

Victini Special Research is coming to Trainers worldwide! Plus, you can look forward to different Legendary Raid Bosses each week! Read on to learn about what’s happening in the world of Pokémon GO in September.

September Research Breakthrough encounter

From Tuesday, September 1, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Thursday, October 1, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7), Alolan Raichu, the Mouse Pokémon, will be available as a Research Breakthrough encounter. If you’re lucky, you might even encounter a Shiny one!

A month of different Legendary Raid Bosses!

Look forward to challenging a different Legendary Raid Boss during every week of September!
  • From Friday, August 21, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Thursday, September 10, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7), Heatran will be available to challenge in five-star raids.
  • From Thursday, September 10, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Friday, September 18, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7), Cresselia will be available to challenge in five-star raids.
  • From Friday, September 18, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Friday, September 25, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7), Articuno will be available to challenge in five-star raids.
  • From Friday, September 25, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Friday, October 2, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7), Zapdos will be available to challenge in five-star raids.
Each week in September, there’ll be a Raid Hour event on Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. local time featuring that week’s Legendary Raid Boss in five-star raids.

Pokémon Spotlight Hours

In the month of September, Pokémon Spotlight Hour will take place every Tuesday at 6:00 p.m. local time, and each hour will spotlight a different Pokémon and special bonus!
  • Tuesday, September 1, 2020: Eevee will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the XP for catching Pokémon.
  • Tuesday, September 8, 2020: Houndour will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the Candy for catching Pokémon.
  • Tuesday, September 15, 2020: Tentacool will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the Candy for transferring Pokémon.
  • Tuesday, September 22, 2020: Spearow will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the XP for evolving Pokémon.
  • Tuesday, September 29, 2020: Skitty will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the Stardust for catching Pokémon.
GO Battle Night

On Thursday, September 24, 2020, from 6:00 p.m. to 11:59 p.m. local time, you’ll receive twice the Stardust for winning battles, completing sets of battles, and ranking up in the GO Battle League. You’ll also be able to complete 20 sets of GO Battle League battles, up from the regular five sets, for a total of up to 100 battles.

Victini Special Research: Investigate a Mysterious Energy

At the end of September, you can look forward to helping Professor Willow uncover the mysteries of the Mythical Pokémon Victini, the Victory Pokémon, in a new Special Research story—Investigate a Mysterious Energy! If you accessed the exclusive Pokémon GO Fest 2020: Rocket Straight to Victory Special Research during Pokémon GO Fest 2020, completing this new Special Research will earn you Victini Candy.

Jessie and James might be blasting off soon!

Great job keeping Team GO Rocket’s balloons at bay, Trainers. We’re getting word that Jessie and James will no longer appear in Pokémon GO starting on September 30th, so if you haven’t battled them yet, keep an eye out for that Meowth balloon before they make their escape!

Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidelines from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. Upcoming events are subject to change. Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receiving push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated. For the latest on in-game events and feature updates, be sure to check this help center article.

—The Pokémon GO team

Eevee? Can be in spotlights?!
Well, time to prepare... Eeh, it'll be hard since that's Glaceon Day and I'm doing art....

And here we go again with questionable research breakthrough content....

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I just caught a Weedle, and it suddenly says on its stat screen that it (or I?) has zero "Beedrill Mega Energy". Are Megas being implemented already?

EDIT: Going through the list of Mega-eligible Pokémon, the following 'mons seem to display their "Mega Energy" counter:
  • Venusaur (200 Mega Energy to evolve)
  • Charizard (Same - only one button, which is interesting)
  • Blastoise (Same)
  • Beedrill (100 Mega Energy)
These were all. I was able to check all except Diancie (unreleased) and Garchomp (too rare for me to have evolved yet). Looks like it's rolled out for a small number of 'mons so far, and it remains to be seen how Mega Energy can be obtained.

Last edited:
Official announcement about mega evolutions.

Quick rundown:
  • Mega Energy, obtainable from Mega Raids, is required for Mega Evolution.
  • The faster you defeat the Raid Boss, the more Mega Energy you'll receive.
  • Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, and Beedrill can be mega evolved for now.
  • The more you mega evolve a Pokemon, the less Mega Energy will be required for the next time you mega evolve that Pokemon.
  • You can only have one mega evolved Pokemon at a time. Mega evolving another Pokemon will revert the first one back to its original form.
  • Mega Pokedex available.
  • You can battle (in raids, gyms, Team GO Rocket, friends) with your mega evolved Pokemon, and make it your buddy too.
  • Mega evolution special research available now.
  • Mega evolution-themed event in September:
    • September 1st to September 7th: complete as many Mega Raids as possible.
    • September 11th to September 17th: Participate in gym battles, Team GO Rocket battles, and battle your friends.
    • September 22nd to September 28th: Become buddies with mega evolved Pokemon

Mega Evolution is here! Battle in raids against Mega Venusaur, Mega Charizard, Mega Blastoise, and more!

Trainers,

It appears Mega Evolution has made its way to the world of Pokémon GO! It was observed in some regions, including the Kalos region, that certain Pokémon could reach an additional Evolutionary stage and gain incredible power for a limited time in battle. This became known as Mega Evolution. After some research, Professor Willow has documented some notable differences in how Mega Evolution works in the world of Pokémon GO.

What we know so far about Mega Evolution in Pokémon GO

Select Pokémon can Mega Evolve using a newly discovered resource called Mega Energy. You can collect this mysterious substance by completing Mega Raids, which are Raid Battles that feature Mega-Evolved Pokémon. It seems the faster you defeat a Raid Boss, the more Mega Energy you’ll receive for that Pokémon. You can Mega Evolve any of your Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, and Beedrill once you have enough of their corresponding Mega Energy! Some of these Pokémon are appearing in Mega Raids too. After you’ve Mega Evolved a Pokémon, the Mega Energy required to Mega Evolve that specific Pokémon will decrease from then onward. Please note that Shadow and Clone Pokémon cannot be Mega Evolved.

Keep in mind that you can have only one Mega-Evolved Pokémon at a time. If you Mega Evolve another Pokémon, it appears that the first Mega-Evolved Pokémon will revert back to its original form. To help you keep track of all of the Pokémon that can Mega Evolve and the ones that you’ve successfully Mega Evolved, you can check out the all-new Mega Pokédex. Check it out in your Pokédex!

Explore with your Mega-Evolved Pokémon

Mega-Evolved Pokémon in the world of Pokémon GO stay in their Mega-Evolved forms for a limited time—even outside of battle! While your Pokémon is Mega-Evolved, try doing the following with it.
  • Battle in raids. All other Trainers’ Pokémon in the raid will receive an attack boost, and Pokémon whose attack types are the same type as any of the Mega-Evolved Pokémon’s types will receive an additional attack boost for those attacks. Please note that Pokémon can benefit from attack boosts from only one Mega-Evolved Pokémon at a time.
  • Battle in Gyms. Note that Mega-Evolved Pokémon can’t defend Gyms.
  • Battle Team GO Rocket.
  • Battle your friends—Mega-Evolved Pokémon are extremely strong! Note that Mega-Evolved Pokémon currently cannot battle in the GO Battle League, but that might change in the future as we discover more about Mega Evolution!
  • Make it your buddy to see it on the map, play with it, and feed it!
  • Take a snapshot! Be sure to share snapshots of your Mega-Evolved Pokémon on social media using #GOsnapshot!
Mega Bracelet avatar items available now!

Avatar items inspired by Mega Bracelets are now available in the shop! Trainers in some regions wear Mega Bracelets to help their Pokémon Mega Evolve, but in the world of Pokémon GO, only Mega Energy is required. Feel free to wear one, but you don’t need to for your Pokémon to be able to Mega Evolve.

Mega Evolution–themed Special Research is available

What else can we discover about Mega Evolution? Be sure to open the app to access the new Mega Evolution–themed Special Research, A Mega Discovery. Join Professor Willow as he learns about Mega Evolution. Plus, if you complete the Special Research, you’ll be able to help Beedrill Mega Evolve by receiving Beedrill Mega Energy!

Mega Evolution–themed event coming in September

You can look forward to a Mega September event, Trainers! There will be three weeks of Mega Evolution–themed events and features for you to enjoy. Keep a lookout for more details soon, but here’s a look at what each week will be about.
  • From Tuesday, September 1, 2020, to Monday, September 7, 2020, your goal will be to complete as many Mega Raids as you can! Gather Mega Energy to Mega Evolve your Pokémon and feel like a hero in your Raid Battles!
  • From Friday, September 11, 2020, to Thursday, September 17, 2020, hone your battle skills with your Mega-Evolved Pokémon. Take part in Gym battles, Team GO Rocket battles, and Trainer Battles (excluding GO Battle League battles).
  • From Tuesday, September 22, 2020, to Monday, September 28, 2020, become buddies with your Mega-Evolved Pokémon and spend time with it! Be sure to take snapshots and share them with us on social media using #GOsnapshot.
Now, let’s GO and discover Mega Evolution together, Trainers!

Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidelines from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. Upcoming events are subject to change. Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receiving push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated. For the latest on in-game events and feature updates, be sure to check this help center article.

—The Pokémon GO team

Expert Evan

Looks like I'll be prioritizing Mega Venusaur raids since I use Venusaur as a grass counter to Sierra when her lapras has a water fast move (use heatran when it has an ice fast move). Was almost going to mega evolve a beedrill just to test it out but got discourage when it indicated 4 hours it'd be like that. While the demand for these mega raids exceeds that of a possible shiny heatran as a most useful fire type (flamethrower > overheat in PvP/TR battles), I've been using those blastoise/charizard/venusaur as disposable gym defenders too bad they don't get community day moves which would've been very nice as well.

Not really a fan of the whole Mega Raid thing, though I get that it's just another gimmick to sell Raid Passes. Would like to see some kind of system where you can get Mega Energy by walking with your Pokemon like with Candy. Also maybe the higher your friendship level, the less Mega Energy required for mega evolution, because of course mega evolution is supposed to be the proof of a bond between a Pokemon and its trainer.

But that would make too much sense for Niantic, I suppose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)