CAP 28 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
CAP 28 So Far

-----

Are you ready for art? If you have a design ready for CAP 28, you should post it here!

Note that there has been a few changes to the art rules since last time. You can read more about them in the 8/21/20 Art Submissions changelog here! and you should take them into account when posting in this thread and making final submissions!

-----

This thread is open for WIPs, comments, and final submissions for the design of CAP 28. Important considerations that will come into play over the course of this thread are base stats and abilities.

Posting Rules

***All material in both the main design and supporting material must be your own. Using another piece of art for inspiration is allowed, but derivative art is not, and blatant plagiarism will result in warnings or bans depending on the severity.***

Collaborative material (such as work made by multiple artists or a vision and art direction by a non-artist and execution by an artist) is not permitted.

Posting Frequency

Intentionally or unintentionally, thread-hogging tends to be more prevalent in the art submission thread compared to other CAP threads. In order to ensure that everyone has a reasonable chance to showcase their designs and air their opinions, thread-hogging will be moderated. If you wish to add new comments or art, but don't want to hog the thread, please consider editing your most recent post to add new content.

Posting Rules: Artists
  • Artists can post any work-in-progress (WIP) artwork in order to solicit feedback or to help develop ideas. WIP artwork does not need to conform to the standards of a Main Design. It can be in any medium or stage of completion, but it must be related to an original art design by the poster.
  • Do not post to state your intended design. You may not reserve an idea for yourself.
  • Do not post questions asking for help in making art. For art resources on Smogon, check out Smeargle's Studio.
  • Do not post inconsequential updates to designs. Only if you have made a significant change should you post an update in the thread.
  • Do not bump art or beg for feedback. If no one comments on your design, consider the silence to be your feedback. Also, check out the CAP Discord channel or the CAP PS Room for open real-time discussion on CAP art.
  • Images posted are subject to the following rules:
    • They must be in .jpg, .png, or .gif format.
    • They must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as Imgur). Do not use the forum's 'Drop/upload image' feature. Do not use the 'Attach a photo' tool on messaging apps (e.g. Discord). Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.
  • Each post should contain no more than one (1) full-sized image, meaning:
    • The image is at most 640 pixels in both width and height.
  • Artists should post links to additional art or use linking thumbnails. Each thumbnail can be no larger than 160 pixels in either dimension. Any number of thumbnails can be included in a post.
  • The use of hide tags does not circumvent or alter any of the image posting rules.
Posting Rules: Commenters
  • Please DO post constructive feedback for artists.
  • Do not post ideas or images to serve as inspiration for artists or attempt to commission an artist in the thread to render your idea.
  • Do not declare any artwork as "the winner" or make similar comments to that effect. Such posts are insulting to all the other competing artists.
  • Do not comment that a design does or does not "look like a Pokemon/Digimon". There is no artistic style guide for Pokemon and therefore such comments are unable to be substantiated or refuted.
  • Do not repost images from the thread. When quoting a post, remove any images.
Final Submission Post

All artists must make a final submission post conforming to the following rules, including those for the Main Design, in order to be included in the art poll.
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, the Main Design included in image tags below that.
  • Any supporting material, if applicable, must be in a section below the main design with the header "Supporting Material".
  • All supporting art must be included as links or as linked thumbnails no larger than 160 pixels in either dimension. Do not include full images of supporting art in the final submission.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post. Artists are welcome to work on multiple designs and get feedback from the community, but only one design can be submitted for final consideration. If you wish to alter any aspect of your final submission, then edit your post. Do not make a new one, even if you delete your original post. Any deleting and re-posting will be treated as bumping and is subject to moderation.
By making a final submission:
  • The artist gives the CAP project permission to use the submitted art for CAP and related projects. The artist also consents that the design can be interpreted by other artists for the CAP project and for other promotional purposes.
  • Should the design become the winning design, the artist should be prepared to answer any flavor questions about his/her design for the remainder of the CAP cycle. This includes but is not limited to:
    • 3D model
    • Pokedex data (weight/height/color)
Artists cannot submit any artwork that has been previously or that is currently used by another project not affiliated with CAP. The winning CAP artist agrees to not later use the winning design for another project or contest not affiliated with CAP.

Main Design

The main design is intended to follow the same general posing and layout as the "Official Art" for existing in-game Pokemon. It must be suitable for display on the CAP Pokedex section of the CAP Website and any other CAP propaganda where a picture of the Pokemon is needed.

The comparison to 'Official Pokemon Art' is only applicable to the basic content of the main design; it does not imply any standards or guidelines regarding artistic style or rendering technique.

The following rules of content must be followed for the Main Design:
  • The image must consist of a single Pokemon on a plain white background. The background cannot be transparent.
  • The image must be a 2D digital or scanned traditional drawing. 3D media and photos are not allowed.
  • No part of the Pokemon may be cut off by the canvas.
  • The Pokemon must be in full color.
  • The design must have a distinct outline on the entire subject in contrast to the subject and background. Colored outlines are allowed but must not obstruct the clarity of the design.
  • No part of the design can be blurred into the background or blended into the background in any way.
  • No props, action effects, move effects, or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon. If a prop is part of the Pokemon's basic design (i.e. Conkeldurr's pillars), then it is acceptable.
  • The image must not include offensive or obscene imagery, or be intended to mock or insult the project or other users.
  • The image must be in .jpg, .png or .gif format.
  • The image must be at least 320 pixels and at most 640 pixels in both width and height.
  • The image must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as Imgur). Do not use the forum's 'Upload a File' feature. Do not use the 'Attach a photo' tool on messaging apps (e.g. Discord). Do not use Iaza, Ezimba.
The rules for main designs will be strictly enforced. Do not make comparisons to in-game Pokemon designs or to past CAP designs to determine if your design is in compliance with these rules. Some in-game Pokemon designs and past CAP designs do not conform with the current CAP art submission rules, and emulating those designs is not an acceptable excuse for breaking the strict interpretation of the current rules.

Supporting Material

There are almost no rules when it comes to supporting material. Action scenes, movement studies, interaction with other Pokemon, animations, sculptures, and cartoon strips are all allowed. Non-art supporting material is also allowed. This includes detailed descriptions of the art, background data, stories, etc. All supporting art and information must be related to the main design in some way.

Deadline

Art submissions are due 48 hours after Secondary Ability Poll results are posted 10 AM ET on October 1st.

Art Polls

All art polls will contain the Main Design and, if applicable, a link below it titled "Supporting Material". This will link to the artists final submission post, if applicable. All final submissions conforming to the rules above will be slated.

Last edited:

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This post was automatically generated using mackerel magic!

To have your art displayed here, please preface your post with WIP or Final Submission, followed by the image to be displayed!
This list does NOT] identify if your submission is valid or not.

Collage Link: https://i.imgur.com/87g2Q95.jpg

AliceColt

Amamama

BARABOY

Birkal

BlorengeRhymes

CheshireKaz

Darek851

Dorrdonn

DrifblooomCF

Falchion

Gleeboop

Golurkyourself

Gravity Monkey

HeatEdgeSword

HoshiArts

Igloo the Almighty

JAGFL

KoA

Leavannite

Magistrum

Morghulis

Mos-Quitoxe

Mova

PiloswineSarado

Pinesmoke

Quanyails

Quotidian

Reiga

Scizivire

Sgt.Moose

Shadowshocker

ShunosaurusLii

Slapperfish

Spook

StephXPM

Stitch98

SunMYSER

Sunfished

Tommaniacal

Walterbl

Yilx

Yokaiju

Z-nogyroP

ZenBigMinds

Zephyr2007

flying moose

h_n_g_m_n

metal-ankh

noobiess

pecanbegone

Last edited:
WIP

1598499442002.png

https://imgur.com/o0Q0p4H

Rattlesnake mimicing a beehive to lure in prey, assisted by the bee lure on the tail. Threw on some spikes and wings to show the bug and dragon types a little more. I'm pretty happy with the concept, but I don't really feel like I nailed the silhouette I want here.

Last edited:

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

I want to make something based off of the atlas moth, which is one of the biggest insects in nature. I'm also looking to Chinese dragon lore for inspiration on horns and jawline. Getting a color scheme here is gonna be tough in general, since Bug-type and Dragon-type don't necessarily have a standard color, unlike Water-types (blue) and Fire-types (red).

In general, this design needs a LOT of work, but I wanted to put something on paper immediately. I haven't drawn the past few CAPs because my old drawing computer has officially turned 10 years old. It's janky, old, and I hate drawing on it, but it's the best thing I've got. This design is the first thing I've ever drawn on my brand new drawing tablet (I never splurge on myself, so this is kinda a big deal for me), so consider this more of a warm-up run than anything else :) Expect this design to change A LOT, but if you do have some feedback on atlas moths in general, I'd love to hear them.

Last edited:
WIP

Yay I was hoping this typing would win! Seems like an awesome creative typing. Here's my first take -- a little jumping spider trying to trick you into thinking it's a dragon! (though I guess it actually is?). Probably will change design a lot/maybe scrap if statswise we end up on the tankier side of things which seems likely.

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
WIP

It's an enormous ant with draconic features. The idea is that instead of a small, lowly insect, it's this monstrous, six-legged behemoth that towers over everything else in the room and treats everything else like an ant beneath its feet.

Last edited:
Hello, I have a quick PSA for all artists. Given that we're planning on running CAP 28 faster than usual, expect this thread to finish up faster than usual (Probably 4 weeks from now).

Other than that, I look forward to seeing what wonderful designs will be posted!

WIP

https://i.imgur.com/URJFgKq.jpg

Just a rough side profile, but I was inspired by the dragon-like appearance of mantises, much like Feyrbrand from Legend of Dragoon. I saw the Orchid Mantis and was attracted to its pedal-like wings and sickles and interpreted them as dragon's leathery wings and claws. The added head flair came from some other mantis but it looked so dragon-like I had to throw it in. I am concerned that the source is too much like a bug/grass (like Lurantis is supposed to be) So I might change color-scheme away from Orchid Mantis and play up the dragon features more.

WIP

I'm so excited for this typing. I've been dreaming of a Bug/Dragon pokemon since at least Generation 3. There are going to be so many cool designs.

The Bug/Dragon that I imagined when I was a kid looked something like this:

Obviously we don't know the ability or physical/special nature of 28 yet, so I may end up submitting something completely different. But in case my old hornet dragon does end up fitting the flavor, I might as well post it now.

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
WIP

This is my work-in-progress design, which is based on the Tarantula Hawk.

Canon Dragon Pokemon have a lot of loose inspirations dragonified over the generations -- Sharks, Apples, Stealth Bombers, Battle Axes, Hornets - you name it! I shall take the same apporach: dragonify the insect with the most painful wasp sting in the world.

Typing cues are self explanatory -- the insectoid wings, antennae, and the wasp sting for the Bug type and the gruff salamander-like body type for Dragon-type. Overall this design can accommodate a Physical or Mixed offensive stat build.

As always, comments, critiques and criticism is greatly appreciated!

WIP

i loosely based this off a pelican spider, what with the long neck
a suggestion i got on the discord was to make it somewhat cockatrice/basilisk insipired, which i like alot; adds some more direction and potential dragony bits. as is i think it leans more towards dark

id consider this near final if the prompt ended at "bug/dragon" but im prepared to adjust or scrap this when abilities and whatnot come along

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist

a couple designs for Bug/Dragon? I don't have my drawing tablet on me so I drew all of these with my mouse in paint lol

mosquito, earthworm wyrm, samurai rhino beetle, dragonhead caterpillar

id love to hear which you guys would be interested in seeing developed!! thanks for the read

sun_dew

formerly JAGFL
is a Pre-Contributor
WIP

VERY early sketch of a generic bug stylized to resemble a Kirin (basically a dragon horse). Highly subject to change, but I‘m fine with the design at the moment.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Wow, we're off to the races on this one--people sure are excited about CAP 28's typing!

I'm preparing myself for certain abilities being discussed on this Pokemon, which ends up constraining designs a lot. The best thing I have so far is Galarian tapewyrm (my design from CAP 23), with some additional inspiration from tube worms.

Of course, this is a super-rough sketch and 100% subject to change according to where abilities and stats go. :)

WIP

Very rough sketch of an interpretation of Norse mythology's Níðhöggr that draws elements from the strawberry root weevil, an insect whose larvae feed upon the roots of plants in much the same way that Níðhöggr feeds upon the roots of the World Tree, Yggdrasil. The details around the mouth area are intended to represent a 'beard' of chewed-up roots that have fused with its jaw, loosely inspired by the bearded dragon. My current challenge is figuring out other elements to incorporate that might add a bit more of that draconic touch to the design, as currently I'm worried that it may be a bit too buggy, so to speak; One idea I've had is to make the grooved exoskeleton of the weevil more scale-like to get the idea across. As always, this is prone to change dependent on future stages, and feedback is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
WIP

It's a Pikachu spider but with a dragon-like abdomen instead. I figure it superficially resembled Charizard at first, so I figured it'd be better to show some subtlety.

WIP

https://i.imgur.com/YfgTpz4.png

Sketch of a cross between a hickory horned devil caterpillar and the Azure Dragon (青龙). False eye caterpillar shenanigans. Wanted the idea of a spike strip to represent the roadblock.

Thinking of adding more spikes and making him chonky and shorter, but I kind of like the length for a caterpillar/chinese dragon/strip for now. Probably will also differentiate the real eye/head more clearly from the fake head. Will probably wait for the abilities, which might change things a lot.

Would love to hear more thoughts/feedback!! Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
WIP

This is my rough design for our Bug/Dragon CAP 28. It based on "Dragon Millipede" ,scientific name was Desmoxytes purpurosea. These creture resemble a Draconic line of millipede, which imo work perfectly for the CAP. Also because it color is going to be pink-ish so it won't look that imtimidate.

http://imgur.com/a/9xye943
Link for imgur.

Last edited:
WIP

i designed this one kid of different, its a concept similar to :wishiwashi-school: in the sence that both of them are made from hundreds of small pokemons, but this one is a little different since the pokemons that form it are the size of actual bugs, those bugs (that you can see in the close up buble) are on themselves bug-dragon, and use that draconic energy to move their moud like an actual living dragon.

there actually some african legends about termite mounds with divine powers, like the ability to control the rain, some cultures give the mound offerings fot it to use its spiritual magic to heal an ill one, and while theres's no mention of dragon related to those mounds, i think that the legends surrounding those mounds fits well enough.

and to adress the elefant in the room, yes this mound is completely made of ground but its typing would be bug/dragon, i think that the latter ones are more important to the concept, and i think its something similar to dhelmise which its grass/ghost despite the anchor being the most recognisable part of its desing

WIP

Yay I was hoping this typing would win! Seems like an awesome creative typing. Here's my first take -- a little jumping spider trying to trick you into thinking it's a dragon! (though I guess it actually is?). Probably will change design a lot/maybe scrap if statswise we end up on the tankier side of things which seems likely.
I quite like the look of this, but my first thought on seeing the picture was of a Scarab, rather than a jumping spider, sorry. Winged Scarabs = Egyptian, and then there's the "Winged Dragon of Ra" which obviously nestles in. Sorry - I know that it's a jumping spider from the description, but the shape is similar to that you typically see of scarab beetles/dung beetles etc. It would fit if it was tankier statwise though?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)