Done Implement a /weekban command

Hello,

There was a previous thread like this one, except it was more about adding /monthban instead of /weekban.

In that same thread, Zarel stated that there was no real basis to distinguish it from a blacklist, but he supported /weekban.

Now, a weekban I could see some value in, if anyone wants to argue for that. But for future reference, any request for new punishment levels should give specific examples of user behavior that would fall into each level.
So I would like to raise this suggestion again because I see value in a /weekban command.

I initially organized the three Room Ban-related commands to distinguish between each one's purpose:

Two-day ban (/roomban) - Reserved for users who have been negative contributors to the chat, and/or have not learned from past warns/mutes.

Week ban - Reserved for users who have returned without any hint of improvement and insist on being negative/toxic/antagonizing/etc.

Blacklist - Consistently bad user who, despite several warns/mutes/bans (including a week ban), shows no sign of improvement, and therefore no longer has the right to stay in the room for a whole year.

I believe having this command as an option can give Room Staff members a tool to punish for offenses that they deem would be more worthy of a 7 day ban over 2 days. Furthermore, I believe this command would also be more proficient at keeping incessant trolls away from the room (I'd assume there's a better chance they won't return at least immediately after not being allowed to enter the room for seven straight days).

I would also like to mention that different rooms have varying policy structures when it comes to 0-tolerance and blacklist. It can be of great help because they could be reserved for users who are not far from being blacklisted, yet a blacklist would not suffice either because the user did not do enough to qualify for one.

Thank you for your time as always,

- aquaza.

pants

*dies inconveniently*
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If this is implemented, it should probably be RO only, since this isn’t meant to be a punishment that someone gets for doing something punishable once (like a ban or lock can be). Similarly to a blacklist, a ban would need to escalate to a weekban, and much like a blacklist, this would probably need to be discussed among roomstaff.

That being said, I’ve rarely seen users come back from a ban and immediately do the same bannable offense, and if they do, a blacklist is usually on the table.

While a year does seem like a huge leap from a two day ban, a blacklist almost never occurs after a single ban; instead, a blacklist comes from several punishments over a much longer period of time than two days. Additionally, blacklists can often be appealed well before the year is over, if a user feels that they have learned from their mistake. Banning someone for a week gives them much less time to reflect, and if said user comes back with no intent on improving after 2 days, then a week probably won’t change that, and they should probably be blacklisted anyways.

While I don’t think a weekban is useless and shouldn’t be implemented, I also don’t really think it’s necessary and the same effects can be reached with the current punishment system, albeit with less flexibility.

If this is implemented, it should probably be RO only, since this isn’t meant to be a punishment that someone gets for doing something punishable once (like a ban or lock can be). Similarly to a blacklist, a ban would need to escalate to a weekban, and much like a blacklist, this would probably need to be discussed among roomstaff.
I don't really see any reason here as to why the command would be locked to a Room Owner. I don't think banning a user for a week is anywhere near as big in magnitude as banning them for a year. When you think about it, there is only a difference of five days between /roomban and /weekban. Considering how minuscule that difference is (when it comes to trusting a Room Moderator with it), I don't see why it would ever be restricted. If this command is implemented and becomes locked away to a Room Owner, I'm not really sure it is worth bothering the RO just to use this command, at least compared to a blacklist.

As for your general disagreement, I respect your input. However, I see value in the command because, as you pointed out, the gap between 2 days and a whole year is quite big that a seven-day ban in the middle would be more logical to precede a blacklist.

Last edited:

Annika

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
Thanks!

Also just to confirm, I assume the shortcut command for Room Week Ban would be /rwb?
I don't think "room week ban" (/rwb) makes as much sense as "week room ban" (/wrb), since that implies, grammatically, that there's a type of punishment called a "week ban."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)