Tournament Smogon Snake Draft IV: RU Discussion

gorex

penguin council
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LCPL Champion
WEEK 1

1599695348363.png
SS RU
1599695346190.png

Leads | Combos | Moves and Teammates
Code:
+ ---- + ------------------ + ---- + ------- + ------- +
| Rank | Pokemon            | Use  | Usage % |  Win %  |
| 1    | Rotom-Mow          |    8 |  80.00% |  50.00% |
| 2    | Slowbro-Galar      |    5 |  50.00% |  80.00% |
| 3    | Dragalge           |    4 |  40.00% |  25.00% |
| 3    | Bewear             |    4 |  40.00% |  25.00% |
| 3    | Bronzong           |    4 |  40.00% |   0.00% |
| 6    | Golurk             |    3 |  30.00% |  66.67% |
| 6    | Seismitoad         |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 8    | Klefki             |    2 |  20.00% | 100.00% |
| 8    | Inteleon           |    2 |  20.00% | 100.00% |
| 8    | Gardevoir          |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Sigilyph           |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Steelix            |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Milotic            |    2 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 8    | Passimian          |    2 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 15   | Silvally           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Silvally-Dark      |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Coalossal          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Gourgeist-Large    |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Scrafty            |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Ninjask            |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Persian-Alola      |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Copperajah         |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Togedemaru         |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Porygon2           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Druddigon          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 15   | Umbreon            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 15   | Ninetales          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 15   | Tauros             |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 15   | Haunter            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 15   | Lycanroc           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |

Highlights

Rotom-Mow
(
1599695218056.png
)
To the surprise of basically no one, Rotom-Mow sees itself as the most used Pokemon in Week 1 of RU action in Snake. What Rotom-Mow was able to provide in the teambuilder was flexibility, as it was able to effectively pilot 2 different sets at a relatively equal level, namely a Choice Scarf set or a Nasty Plot + Defog Set, with either Leftovers or without an item. Choice Scarf is the most straightforward set, providing speed control for the team and allows for fast pivoting with Volt Switch. Additionally, it can provide some small utility via Trick, tricking its Choice Scarf onto an opposing wall to cripple it. On the other hand, the Nasty Plot + Defog set provides role compression, being able to fit both hazard removal and a set-up breaker onto one slot. By virtue of its great typing, it is able to heavily punish Ground-types that attempt to block its Volt Switch, such as Steelix and Seismitoad, with a Leaf Storm right after. Nasty Plot allows it to exert great pressure on opposing teams by boosting its damage output versus stuff such as Slowbro-Galar while pivoting, or threatening an OHKO on stuff such as Steelix when boosted. Additionally, it is able to run itemless to block Poltergeist, which can make it particularly effective in dealing with Golurk as it is immune to Earthquake as well with the ability Levitate. Examples of its effectiveness can be witnessed in PepeDuce's game where his Nasty Plot Rotom-Mow exerted a lot of pressure on Nat's slower-paced team, in Feliburn's game where Rotom-Mow is able to pivot on Dragalge and bring in Gardevoir safely on 3 separate occassions, and finally, in Charmflash's game where it was able to safely bring in Golurk to basically claim a kill each time it came in.

Now, there's a very interesting question to be asked here, what will these players turn to now that Rotom-Mow has risen up to UU to fill the void it left. Would it be alternate forms of Rotom such as regular Rotom or Rotom-Frost, or perhaps fellow Electric-types such as Heliolisk or Vikavolt? We will have to wait and see when the games this week are being played!

Slowbro-Galar (
1599695152927.png
)
In its debut generation, it has quickly made an impact in RU as it is able to effectively function as a bulky pivot with its ability Regenerator, and decent defensive stats with a 95/95/70 spread in base stats, as well as its ability to absorb Toxic Spikes due to its part Poison typing. Currently in the tier, its most effective sets are Calm Mind + Slack Off, or Assault Vest. With its adequate bulk and key resistances to Fighting, Poison and Fairy, by virtue of its typing, it is able to function as a bulky set up sweeper with recovery that is able to exert pressure on most teams. On the other hand, Assault Vest sets allow for it to pivot into some of the more threatening special attackers in the tier such as Goodra and Dragalge, and pressure opposing teams with the use of Future Sight. A less common option that also saw use this week was Nasty Plot + Slack Off, in roman's game, which can be used to pose a larger threat in terms of damage potential off the bat and can potentially catch opponents off guard. Slowbro-Galar was also being used very effectively in Nat and PepeDuce's game, by functioning as a pivot with its classic Assault Vest set and kept up pressure on the opposing teams with Future Sight, which definitely affected certain plays being made during the game.

Will Slowbro-Galar continue to see relatively similar, or possibly even more usage, in weeks to come? What do you guys think? I personally think it will see relatively similar usage due to its ability to effectively pivot into menacing special attackers in the tier and potentially pose a threat damage-wise if using set-up variants.

Seismitoad (
1599695238364.png
)
Seismitoad has recently seen a surge of usage in the tier, however not in its usual role as a Stealth Rocker, even though it can still be used to set Stealth Rocks if needed. The set that has caught attention as of late is its Choice Band set, paired with another Pokemon as the Stealth Rocker, such as Bronzong or Steelix. Its dual STABs, along with its coverage options in Ice Punch and Knock Off mainly, are able to heavily threaten majority of the tier, and can yield a lot of effectiveness if the right prediction is made to nab the switch-ins. We saw it being used in Ajna's game and Nat's game, albeit not necessarily netting wins in these games, I believe it still has a ton of potential as it can pose a huge nuisance on team preview. Whether we still see it being used depends largely on whether the player's perspective on this Pokemon has been shifted from these games, or whether it stays the same. We can only wait and see when the games are being played.

Golurk (
1599695255580.png
)
Another Ground-type, Golurk, has also seen a fair bit of usage in Week 1, with a different set each time its being used. The sets being used this time around were Rindo Berry, Rock Polish + Life Orb, and Choice Band. We saw Rindo Berry, which is not really a common set, but was an effective lure in snaga's game, by being able to tank a Leaf Storm and kill of Rotom-Mow, which is the intended target behind this lure. Rock Polish + Life Orb, being used by atomicllamas, and Choice Band, being used by Charmflash, were both seen in the same game. On atomicllamas' side, the set-up breaker / sweeper could have potentially exerted more pressure on the opposing team if not for the Poltergeist blunder (feelsbadman). On Charmflash's side, we saw Golurk at essentially peak effectiveness, pivoting in multiple times via Rotom-Mow's Volt Switch and Porygon2's Teleport, to pick up a bunch of kills vs atomicllamas' team which had no Ghost resist with Choice Band boosted Poltergeist.

I believe Golurk is a Pokemon that should potentially see more usage down the line, due to its threatening presence both on team preview and in practice, and getting Poltergeist this gen as a stronger Ghost STAB option was essentially a godsend in pushing it to newer heights.

Ninjask (
1599695298935.png
)
Last but not least, Ninjask. While it only got used once, it was able to pick up a win piloted by PepeDuce. For all those people who have faced PepeDuce on the ladder before, you guys should know that Ninjask is essentially his signature mon, and seeing him pilot it to success on his official tour debut is really nice to see. More on Ninjask itself, I think this Pokemon is particularly interesting and worth to take a look at, due to its blistering Speed tier that can even allow it to outrun certain scarfers. With its ability in Speed Boost, it can essentially outpace the entire metagame and exert a lot of pressure, slowly racking up damage via U-turn for momentum, and Dual Wingbeat (if using Heavy-Duty Boots) or Acrobatics (if itemless). In Pepeduce's game, we saw the itemless set which essentially was able to clean up a weakened team in the endgame due to its blistering speed.

It will be very interesting to see if Ninjask sees more usage in the future weeks, and if so, how will these players work Ninjask onto their teams to bring out its effectiveness.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
First of all, shoutout to gorex for the goat post about snake week 1 (and also for linking me the usage stat tool). Secondly, I've updated the OP with the replays, records, and usage statistics for week 2. If you were curious, Tangela was tied for the most usage and did in fact have the highest win rate, only losing to itself, thus confirming Tangela is broken.

week 3 matchups:

[RAT] Ajna vs Pepeduce [LIN]
[TAI] Expulso vs snaga [COB]
[BUS] roman vs atomicllamas [NAG]
[AST] Feliburn vs Charmflash [MAM]
[SER] Nat vs odr [LEV]

As always this thread is for discussion of all things snake, usage trends, replays, predictions.

[RAT] Ajna vs Pepeduce [LIN]
[TAI] Expulso vs snaga [COB]
[AST] Feliburn vs Charmflash [MAM]
[SER] Nat vs odr [LEV]

very upset with myself for being too lazy to do these the first 2 weeks, wouldve like to keep score :( because its late ill keep these short

[RAT] Ajna vs Pepeduce [LIN] - ajna seems to be returning to form, he had a pretty neat team this week and pulled off a tight win against psychic terrain shenanigans. despite coming off a win, pepeduce seemed really shaky vs roman. sun is always an awkward archetype to play against but i feel like he made that game way harder for himself than he needed to and it ended up hinging on a miss which he got. while both have shown to have great meta takes this generation i'll count on ajna to Prep Harder tm

[TAI] Expulso vs snaga [COB] - snaga always has a good mind for coming up with creative teams. even though he lost today, that fairy lock klefki tech was sick, and he also had some nice stuff like eball sigi. i also think he's been playing pretty solid throughout the tour. expulso is someone who i had pegged as "the most likely of the new guys to get picked up" for this tour (though well he's not really new). on a teambuilding criteria he's not bad at all either, but the difference in experience is wide enough to where i won't feel comfortable picking for him just yet. if he does win though i think it'll be a major boost to his confidence as a fresh face

[BUS] roman vs atomicllamas [NAG] - this is definitely an upset prediction and might be a bit left field but i feel like if there's anyone who can beat roman in this pool it's llamas. well, theres feliburn too obviously but you know what i mean. anyway roman has brought creative teams both weeks so far and has been playing in a level headed manner throughout, but llamas has a pretty distinct style that he's carried out that I think might match up well against the types of stuff roman would bring. on a playing basis roman is probably better right now but llamas seemed was pretty impressive last week after his week 1 mistake (fwiw idk if he wouldve won that game anyway if he remembered the mech correctly because p2 seemed like a major dick but I digress). honestly my highlight of the week, though im probably alone in that opinion :s

[SER] Nat vs odr [LEV] - having played against nat a lot, and by a lot i mean a lot, throughout the last like 6 months i kinda feel iffy on making this prediction but it's a gut feeling. her mentality seems to be not great at the moment and while it might not hold her back to the point where i'd predict her against some, odr has found his groove after a tough week 1. last week's game was brutal and i feel like he's transitioned to where he can sense the right triggers to pull as he does in individuals.

gorex

penguin council
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LCPL Champion
WEEK 2

SS RU

Code:
| 1    | Tangela            |    4 |  40.00% |  75.00% |
| 1    | Sigilyph           |    4 |  40.00% |  50.00% |
| 1    | Klefki             |    4 |  40.00% |  25.00% |
| 4    | Seismitoad         |    3 |  30.00% |  66.67% |
| 4    | Drapion            |    3 |  30.00% |  66.67% |
| 6    | Bronzong           |    2 |  20.00% | 100.00% |
| 6    | Braviary           |    2 |  20.00% | 100.00% |
| 6    | Gastrodon          |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 6    | Steelix            |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 6    | Gardevoir          |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 6    | Bewear             |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 6    | Inteleon           |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 6    | Salazzle           |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 6    | Charizard          |    2 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 6    | Dhelmise           |    2 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Silvally           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Silvally-Steel     |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Slowbro-Galar      |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Coalossal          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Comfey             |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Mantine            |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Rotom              |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Gigalith           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Lycanroc           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Porygon2           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Ninjask            |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Hitmonlee          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Drifblim           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Indeedee-F         |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Xatu               |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Blastoise          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Torkoal            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Heliolisk          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Milotic            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Rhyperior          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Dragalge           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Copperajah         |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Passimian          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |

Highlights

Tangela
(
)
Damn, Tangela being the most used Pokemon this week of Snake was definitely a surprise I'm sure not many people saw coming, seeing as it currently resides in PU and it had virtually no usage in RU prior to this week. So, let's analyse this mon for a bit. Firstly, with its pure Grass typing, adding it onto any team does not stack any weaknesses, which isn't the case with other Grass types in the tier such as Gourgeist or Vileplume, which all have secondary typings. Secondly, with its 65/115 physical bulk, coupled with Eviolite, it is able to provide a very solid counter / check to physical attackers such as CB Seismitoad, Golurk and Bewear for example, and with its ability Regenerator, Tangela can serve as a sustainable pivot into these threatening breakers throughout the game if utilised correctly. For example, in Ajna's game, Tangela is seen to be able to generate a lot of pressure with the use of Leech Seed and Toxic repeatedly wearing down at Expulso's team, and it found many opportunities to switch in on Seismitoad, and was even able to provide an answer to boosted Hitmonlee even with its Eviolite knocked earlier. In Feliburn's game, we see it patching up weaknesses that a conventional sand team would have, such as being able to handle the earlier mentioned threats, and during the game itself, it was able to switch into Dhelmise and choice-locked Drapion, and also would have definitely been able to adequately deal with Rhyperior, which is another threat to sand teams as it hinder breakers such as Lycanroc.

What do you guys think? Will Tangela continue to see as much usage in the future weeks? I personally think it is worth using, as it definitely does not seem like just a fun Pokemon to throw on a team, and is instead a Pokemon that can help to patch up a lot of general weaknesses to threatening breakers. Also, if you look at the stats, the only time it lost is when it was matched up against another Tangela. Definitely seems to be a good Pokemon!

Also, for anyone reading this wanting to try it out, here's an example of a set you could use:
Tangela (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed

Sigilyph (
)
Sigilyph, a Pokemon that was previously used twice in Week 1 of Snake, has risen to being the most used Pokemon alongside Tangela and Klefki. So, what happened here? I personally think it is because the players began to explore more possibilities with Sigilyph's expansive movepool. Out of this week alone, we have seen 3 different variants of Sigilyph, 1st one presumably either AoA or 3 Attacks + Roost paired with an interesting tech (more on that later), 2nd one being Trick + Sticky Barb item, and the 3rd one being one of the more conventional sets in Roost + Defog + 2 Attacks (Psychic + Heat Wave). In this game, we saw both snaga and Feliburn bring very interesting Sigilyph sets. On snaga's side, we see an AoA offensive Sigilyph set, perhaps more common in the older generations, paired with an interesting tech in Fairy Lock Klefki, essentially designed to pick off any potential big threat to the team with one of Sigilyph's coverage options. In this game, we saw it being used to dispose of CB Seismitoad for the rest of the game. In the same game, we saw a Trick + Sticky Barb variant piloted by Feliburn on his sand team, the idea behind it presumably being able to trick the Sticky Barb on an opposing defensive Pokemon and cripple it for the rest of the game by removing their passive recovery item in Leftovers and having them take constant chip damage from Sticky Barb, which gives more breathing room to the breakers on the team. In this game, we saw the Sticky Barb tricked onto the opposing Milotic, hindering its ability to adequately handle the breakers on Feliburn's team such as CB Seismitoad and Lycanroc. In odr's game, we saw the conventional Roost + Defog + 2 Attacks set being used, which put in a lot of work in the early game, although slightly due to a fortunate burn on the opposing Copperajah in an early sequence with Heat Wave.

I believe Sigilyph will potentially continue to see similar amounts of usage in the future weeks as it has a very wide movepool that allows for tons of flexibility in the teambuilder, something clearly evident from Week 2 alone with the variety of sets brought on different teams. Hopefully, we will get to see more interesting usages of Sigilyph in games to come.

Inteleon (
)
Another debutant in this generation, Inteleon has quickly made a splash in RU. Having previously been banned in a past iteration of the meta for being too restricting in the builder for opposing offense teams due to its high speed tier and decent coverage, it was recently unbanned in August and still generally fulfils the same roles as it did back then. The most commonly utilised sets currently are Choice Specs and Focus Energy + Scope Lens with the Sniper ability. Owing to its amazing speed tier, the Choice Specs set is able to heavily threaten opposing teams, and even has U-turn to generate momentum on supposed answers, while the Focus Energy set is able to set up and sweep a weakened team. In Nat's game, we see Specs Inteleon able to pose a huge threat with its hard hitting attacks and incredible speed to pick off 3 Pokemon on the opposing team, albeit due to a fortunate freeze on the Porygon2 during the game. In odr's game, we basically witness the Inteleon show, whereby it sets up a Focus Energy on a Sigilyph that is presumably unable to OHKO it, and then just proceeds to 6-0 the entire opposing team. Although this might not have been the case had Charmflash not attempt to bring in Passimian on an Inteleon that could switch up moves, it still shows that this set is very threatening if supported right and can outright demolish unprepared teams.

I believe with the positive traits that this Pokemon possesses, we will continue to see it in action in future weeks to come. One thing I'm curious about is whether we would see the use of the Substitute + Swords Dance set that was the product of an old iteration of the SS RU meta, but we'll have to wait and see.

Charizard (
)
Charizard, previously an ubiquitous presence as a Defogger in past iterations of the SS RU meta, has fallen out of the meta's favour in recent times. However, we see it being used twice in Week 2 of Snake action, once as a Specs wallbreaker on Sun, and another as the Defog set that was once an omnipresence in RU. Does this mean that Charizard is slowly finding its place in the meta once again? Currently, as it stands, that stats suggests that this might not be the case, as it has a 0% WR out of these 2 games. However, this is not entirely a testament to Charizard's ineffectiveness, as will be discussed in a bit. In Expulso's game, we saw the traditional Defog set of Charizard being used in a Psychic Terrain offense. Its role here could be considered slightly counter-synergistic, at least in my opinion, as it was paired with a spiker in Klefki and a Psychic Terrain setter in Indeedee-F, both of which Defog gets rid of when used. However, to be completely objective and fair in this situation, there aren't much good spinners in our tier, let alone one that could properly fit on such a team, which could therefore be attributed to the use of Charizard in this scenario. In roman's game, we see it come in during an end-game sequence where it peppers Mantine with 3 Solar Power and Choice Specs boosted Weather Balls in the sun to dispose of it, and also threatens to end the game...however, unfortunately for roman, Overheat missed vs Steelix and he had no way of winning. From this, we can conclude that Charizard is probably not entirely ineffective as it would have been able to close out the game in this instance.

Do you guys think Charizard could slowly edge its way back into the meta, whether as a wallbreaker in Sun or a Defogger as it once was? I personally am not entirely sold on Charizard as of right now, even though I have heard whispers of the fact that Charizard could be very much viable once again in this meta and have seen it in some tournament games. Sure, it can be used effectively on Sun builds, but the meta currently does not seem to favour it as much as it used to back then in terms of the Defog set, with rockers such as Gigalith and Rhyperior being commonly seen in the tier, which Charizard gets hard walled by. We shall wait and see if any of these players can incorporate Charizard effectively in their builds in the weeks to come.

Porygon2 (
)
Last but not least, we have Porygon2. Similar to last week, I wanted to bring attention to a Pokemon only used once but I believe could see potential future usage in the weeks to come. Even though Porygon2 has seen its time in previous iterations of the SS RU meta, it had not seen much play in recent times. So, what is the appeal to Porygon2? Firstly, it has substantial bulk, with a 85/90/95 spread, which coupled with Eviolite, can make it pretty bulky on both ends of the spectrum, and it has Recover which ensures its sustainability throughout the game. Secondly, it has access to the move Teleport, which had an added mechanic in Gen 8 which allows the user to switch out at -6 priority, guaranteeing a free safe switch into breakers such as CB Golurk for example that can apply heavy pressure on the opposing team. Lastly, it has a fantastic ability in Trace, which allows it to copy the ability of the opposing Pokemon when it enters the field, and this allows it to copy useful abilities such as Regenerator or Trace. In atomicllamas' game, we see Porygon2 able to come in on various instances versus threatening breakers such as Bewear, which it traces Fluffy versus and can take the opportunity to paralyse with Thunder Wave, and Inteleon, which was however met with an unfortunate freeze that killed its ability to put in more work for the rest of the game as it stayed frozen and was ended by the Specs Inteleon clicking Ice Beam multiple times till it met its demise.

I believe that Porygon2 has an abundance of potential in this meta with its advantages that few other Pokemon in the tier have to their name, with its substantial bulk and access to Teleport, that can allow it to be a bulky pivot with great sustainability throughout the game. Hopefully, we get to see more of this Pokemon in action in the future weeks, so we are able to truly witness its effectiveness over a larger sample size of games.

Last edited:

atomicllamas

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
week 4

[LIN] Pepeduce vs atomicllamas [NAG]
[COB] snaga vs Ajna [RAT]
[AST] Feliburn vs Nat [SER]
[LEV] odr vs roman [BUS]
[MAM] Charmflash vs Expulso [TAI]

[COB] snaga vs Ajna [RAT]
[AST] Feliburn vs Nat [SER]
[LEV] odr vs roman [BUS]
[MAM] Charmflash vs Expulso [TAI]

I updated the OP with usage stats, replays (also below for your convenience), and records. Interestingly Tangela had the second highest usage (2nd straight week in top 2) but went 0-4. In overall stats Klefki, Sigilyph, and Bronzong maintain the top 3 spots, although all have lost more games then they've won.

gorex

penguin council
LCPL Champion
WEEK 3

SS RU

Code:
| 1    | Passimian          |    5 |  50.00% |  60.00% |
| 2    | Tangela            |    4 |  40.00% |   0.00% |
| 3    | Steelix            |    3 |  30.00% | 100.00% |
| 3    | Mantine            |    3 |  30.00% |  66.67% |
| 3    | Bronzong           |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 3    | Sigilyph           |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 3    | Klefki             |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 8    | Dhelmise           |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Inteleon           |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Golisopod          |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Xatu               |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Espeon             |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Salazzle           |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Charizard          |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Toxicroak          |    2 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Silvally           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Silvally-Fairy     |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Gastrodon          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Weezing            |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Rotom              |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Drapion            |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Arcanine           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Braviary           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Accelgor           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Indeedee-F         |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Heliolisk          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Blastoise          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Torkoal            |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Rotom-Frost        |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Lycanroc           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Gigalith           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Sandslash          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Copperajah         |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Rhyperior          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Golurk             |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Seismitoad         |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |

Highlights

Passimian
(
)
Passimian, previously winless in the past 2 weeks, has suddenly risen up to the highest usage in Week 3 of Snake RU action. Why is this the case? This is because Passimian is able to effectively run 2 sets, Choice Scarf - which is certainly its most used set in this generation thus far, and Choice Band - which certainly saw more usage in SM as a breaker set. The main appeal of Passimian lies in its "utility" options, namely Knock Off and U-turn. Being able to remove items such as Leftovers / Eviolite / Heavy-Duty Boots from defensive Pokemon is very useful in general, and U-turn to provide momentum for the team vs answers such as Tangela is very nifty, and this helps differentiate it from other possible scarfers in the tier. In Ajna's game, we see a team that features Banded Passimian, but then it gets tricked a Choice Scarf so we can't really tell how effective it would've been. From a theoretical standpoint, it would've been able to push more damage onto the opposing Toxicroak and Tangela, possibly even 2HKO Tangela with Close Combat if it had prior chip and comes in on Stealth Rocks. In Feliburn's game, we see Passimian being able to knock off Tangela's Eviolite in the early game, essentially crippling it for the rest of the game, and then proceed to clean up late game vs Tangela and Bronzong, although slightly owing to an unfortunate Sleep Powder miss from the Tangela.

I believe that Passimian will continue to see similar amounts of usage in the future weeks, considering that it is one of the scarfers that is able to provide momentum (through U-turn, which conveniently cannot be blocked by Ground-types unlike Volt Switch) after Rotom-Mow left the tier at the start of the month. If played right, it can provide an immense amount of pressure through constant pivoting, removing the opposing items and the damage potential of Close Combat vs neutral targets.

Golisopod (
)
Golisopod, a fresh face in terms of RU action this Snake, has an interesting niche that no other Pokemon can provide to a team. It has fantastic revenge killing potential with First Impression, which can then force a lot of switches on the opposing team to save their breakers. This is where the second part of its kit comes into play. It also has access to Spikes, which can help to punish a lot of these aforementioned forced switches, and apply a lot of pressure on the opposing team with the entry hazard damage racking up. The only downside to Golisopod would be in its ability, Emergency Exit, which forces it to be switched out if it falls below half health. This can be circumvented slightly with the use of Heavy Duty Boots. It also got a new tool this gen in Close Combat, which allows it output more damage vs Pokemon such as Copperajah. In snaga's game, we see Golisopod featured on his sand team, which as mentioned before, can provide Spikes support that goes a long way in pressuring common Sand checks such as Seismitoad, Steelix and Rhyperior. In atomicllamas' game, we see the Golisopod being able to set up 2 layers of Spikes in the early game vs the opposing Toxicroak, which goes a long way in punishing roman's switch-ins in the midgame, accumulating chip on the Pokemon as they switch in, until Turn 25 where roman finally found an opportunity to Rapid Spin them away. As an example of how effective the Spikes were, it helped put Klefki in range of being 3HKO'ed by Specs Espeon's Shadow Ball even with Leftovers recovery. It also constantly forced switches by coming in after a sack vs Inteleon and force it out with the threat of First Impression being able to revenge kill.

I think Golisopod definitely has an interesting niche that will go a long way if put into the right team structures, and definitely should see more usage if the players are able to incorporate it appropriately into their teams. The combination of First Impression + Spikes allows it to apply immense pressure on opposing teams, and can definitely yield a lot of benefits in game sequences.

Espeon (
)
Espeon, a Pokemon that saw more usage in previous iterations of the meta, is another fresh face for RU action this Snake. Previously, most people opted for the other Magic Bouncer in the tier in Xatu, however Espeon is definitely pretty neat and has its own niche that makes it worth using over Xatu in RU. It has a significantly higher Special Attack and Speed stat as compared to Xatu, and as such, can effectively pilot a Choice Specs set (the set used in both the games Espeon featured in this week) and apply a lot more offensive pressure to the opposing team. In atomicllamas' game, it was able to force out Calm Mind Sigilyph and 3HKO Klefki with the assistance of Spikes. It then proceeds to come in for free on Rhyperior off a U-turn and nabs a kill on an incoming Sigilyph sack. To wrap it up, it is then able to nab kills on Dhelmise and Rhyperior in the end game. Damn did it do a lot of work! In odr's game, Espeon is able to chunk Torkoal for 94% with a Specs Psychic, and would have been able to clean the game up at the end with Shadow Ball if not for Scarf Xatu on Nat's team.

Espeon definitely has merits in its high Special Attack and high Speed stat, coupled with its fantastic ability in Magic Bounce, that basically enables it to exert heavy pressure on the opposing team with its attacks, and also provide counterplay to teams that rely on hazards to make progress, such as Webs teams or Spikestack. Hopefully, we will be able to see it more in action in the weeks to come as it definitely is a very interesting Pokemon that deserves being more explored.

Heliolisk (
)
Heliolisk has recently been making waves in RU, and it is nice to se it finally being able to pull a win in Snake. Some of you might be wondering, what is the appeal behind Heliolisk and what set makes it good in the tier. It mainly runs a Heavy-Duty Boots set with the moves Volt Switch | Thunderbolt | Hyper Voice | Surf / Grass Knot (I'll drop the set below after this write-up for anyone interested). With its high base speed at 109, a pivot move in Volt Switch, and its move set options that allow it to cover most of the RU tier, it is able to exert tons of pressure on the opposing team when utilised in the right manner. With Heavy-Duty Boots equipped, the idea behind it is essentially to constantly chip away at the opposing team and keep up momentum with the repeated use of Volt Switch, aided by the fact that it will not be taking constant hazard damage, while it has Surf or Grass Knot to threaten the Grounds that attempt to block Volt Switch. Surf can be used for more damage vs Steelix and Stunfisk-Galar, while Grass Knot has better damage potential vs other grounds such as Golurk and Rhyperior. The only Pokemon with decent usage in the tier that is able to handle Heliolisk decently without fear of its coverage moves would be Dhelmise. In Feliburn's game, it is able to generate a free switch on an incoming Tangela to pivot into Accelgor. After that, it is able to kill off a Passimian which previously had its Choice Scarf knocked off, and also Grass Knot to kill off Golurk in the following turn. It is also then able to take one Flamethrower from Salazzle and kill it off with Hyper Voice, and then in the last few turns of the game, kills off Mantine with Volt Switch and generating momentum for its teammates to handle the remaining Pokemon on Charmflash's team.

Overall, Heliolisk proves to be a very effective Pokemon in the RU tier that has slowly begun to pick up traction in tournament play after Rotom-Mow's departure, seeing tons of usage in other tours outside of Snake. It is able to exploit tons of defensive cores, as well as general team structures, with the use of Volt Switch to keep up momentum, and also its coverage moves available to it. I definitely am of the belief that Heliolisk will continue to see more usage and be very effective in future weeks due to the benefits already covered in the writeup.

Here's the sample set I mentioned that I would drop, for anyone interested:
Heliolisk @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hyper Voice
- Surf / Grass Knot

Accelgor (
)
Accelgor is definitely one of the more interesting options that saw play this week. For starters, it has one of the highest base speed stats available in the tier at 145, which enables it outspeed up to Choice Scarfed base 80s such as Gardevoir and Passimian if running maximum speed investment with a boosting nature. Additionally, it gains access to a bunch of interesting moves, such as Spikes / Toxic Spikes and Knock Off for support options, as well as coverage moves such as Giga Drain, Focus Blast and Sludge Bomb if one was to explore a special attacker route with it. It has 2 very interesting abilities as well, in Sticky Hold and Unburden, that enables to have a lot of versatility in the builder in terms of what set is being used. For the set that was utilised this week, it was a Sticky Hold set with Heavy-Duty Boots - actually unrevealed but this is presumably what it is with the moves that were revealed in game, which is able to provide fantastic support with Spikes to soften opposing switch-ins as was covered in the Golisopod write-up as well, and is able to use U-turn for momentum and Knock Off to harass the enemy team by removing the items. Another potential set, which had seen usage in NU metas previously, is a special attacking set with Throat Spray Unburden which procs with the use of Bug Buzz. This allows it to have massive threat potential with a Special Attack boost from Throat Spray proc and Speed boost from Unburden which triggers once Throat Spray has been activated. However, this set takes a lot of support to set-up and can find trouble sweeping in the tier due to the presence of specially defensive Pokemon such as Bronzong and Mantine, which can deal with this set adequately. In Feliburn's game, we can observe that Accelgor, with its amazing speed stat, is able to U-turn out of Salazzle turn 1 and get out of harm's way, and on subsequent turns, it is able to knock off Salazzle's Black Sludge on a free switch. In a few turns after that, it is then able to set up a Spike after coming in on Tangela and knocks off Passimian's Choice Scarf the following turn, something only possible due to its insane Speed stat.

Accelgor is definitely one of the more niche options available in the tier and on the surface does not appear to be very easy to fit on a team. However, with a mind to experiment, and being able to fit it in the right team structure, it is clearly evident that Accelgor can put in work and do well given the right settings. I hope people reading this are also encouraged to try it out and see if you are able to replicate similar levels of success with it.

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
starting my predictions this week (0/0).

[LIN] Pepeduce vs atomicllamas [NAG] - I rate Pepeduce higher as a player, but his team last week was definitely a cause for concern (no water type? fire resist lycanroc? seemingly no scarfer?) whereas I loved llamas' team. I'm predicting Pepeduce on the basis that he will bounce back from last week, but it's totally possible that llamas just has a better grasp on this meta. We will see -- looking forward to it!

[COB] snaga vs Ajna [RAT] - i think im obligated to bold the person who beat me? ajna has seemed to develop his gen 8 ru style, super durable teams capable of handling all the major setup threats while outlasting the opponent. i was not super impressed by snaga's team choice vs me, being very weak to inteleon is a major problem right now (and ajna's teams have all been extremely solid versus threats of this caliber). snaga's team also didn't have that much wallbreaking power, depending on a non-boosting item Sandslash + trick Xatu to make any sort of progress versus bulkier teams. Other picks of his, like Persian-Alola, have also had a good offense MU while leaving holes defensively and being less useful versus the bulky teams Ajna likes to being. I think Ajna will either bring fat that Snaga can't break, or bring an offensive threat he lacks counterplay to.

[AST] Feliburn vs Nat [SER] - Feliburn has looked great this tour, playing very well & consistently en route to a 3-0 start. I think that will continue this game vs Nat, whose annoyed-ness with this meta (i feel the same way, lmao) means she probably isn't as in touch with current trends as Feli is. Getting her only win with sun also doesn't make me super confident about her general understanding of the tier's balances, standard threats, etc. Nat's a very good player but Feli is skilled enough that he probably won't be outplayed.

[LEV] odr vs roman [BUS] - both seem to have a good understanding of the tier and seem likely to bounce back from a 1-2 start, though one will have to be 1-3 after this game. Roman has shown the ability to innovate in builder with his week 1 team vs ajna; although he then brought sun wk2 and standard wk3, from the teams i've seen I have more faith in his ability to innovate his way into a good matchup. ODR's team this week followed a very similar structure to his Week 2 team [offensive psychic-tang-bulky water-fire-fighting-steel]. He'll need to change that up to get a win here. predicting roman based on teambuilder/MU, it would be pretty much even in an even mu. This game is a big test for ODR, i'm hoping he delivers an impressive win this week. '-'

atomicllamas

OP updated with stats, replays, you know the deal. As for my brief mini overview of the stats before gorex (or anyone if you want!) posts their own analysis. Steelix and Xatu were the most picked and both only lost to other teams that had Steelix and Xatu, Porygon2 went undefeated (3 uses) which makes sense as it is a bulky pivot that generates momentum while checking a lot of danger mons which lends itself to the kind of momentum based offense that has done well in the tournament so far. Lots of cool underrated pokemon got used at least once like Thievul, Decidueye, and Froslass. But perhaps the biggest surprise was not what mons got used, but rather that Slowbro-galar saw 0 usage (in RU). On the overall, Klefki grabs the lead with 12 uses (30%) but has a 4-8 record, Steelix surged to second with 11 uses and has a very solid 8-3 record, Bronzong and Sigilyph round out the top 3, apparently steels are important y'all.

week 5

matchups:

[RAT] Ajna vs atomicllamas [NAG]
[COB] snaga vs Charmflash [MAM]
[LIN] Pepeduce vs odr [LEV]
[TAI] Expulso vs Mazinger [SER]
[BUS] roman vs Feliburn [AST]

[COB] snaga vs Charmflash [MAM] - been kind of a rough go of it in RU for the Cobras recently, Charmflash seems to have bounced back after his brief slump, this is one of the harder predicts for me, if snaga gets back to his peak slam form he can easily take it, should be exciting
[LIN] Pepeduce vs odr [LEV] - odr has definitely been the victim of some untimely luck, while Pepeduce has been the benefactor, I think luck being even this favors odr
[TAI] Expulso vs Mazinger [SER] - two very distinct stories here, Expulso is new to the officials team scene and he has been thrown into the fire w/ very little support on his team, he picked up a solid win against snaga week 3 and I won't hold his last minute substitution in vs ajna against him, however I did not love his team or play vs charmflash week 4. Mazinger is not new to officials, but he has been forced to sub into RU (a metagame I don't think he's played in gen 8) due to Nat's disappearance. While he hasn't had the best run in snake so far I personally rate Mazinger to be one of the best team tour players ever and I favor mazinger to pick up the win here off of his playing ability and experience in officials
[BUS] roman vs Feliburn [AST] - definitely the highlight roman should probably be 3-1 if it weren't for an untimely overheat miss, while feli has proven all the naysayers wrong and is absolutely crushing it, predicting roman to win bc if I win and feli loses we have tied for the best record

Last edited:

gorex

penguin council
LCPL Champion
WEEK 4

SS RU

Code:
| 1    | Xatu               |    4 |  40.00% |  75.00% |
| 1    | Steelix            |    4 |  40.00% |  75.00% |
| 1    | Mantine            |    4 |  40.00% |  50.00% |
| 4    | Porygon2           |    3 |  30.00% | 100.00% |
| 4    | Golisopod          |    3 |  30.00% |  66.67% |
| 4    | Heliolisk          |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 4    | Klefki             |    3 |  30.00% |   0.00% |
| 8    | Druddigon          |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Ninjask            |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Bronzong           |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Gardevoir          |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Dragalge           |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Sneasel            |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Sigilyph           |    2 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 8    | Passimian          |    2 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Torkoal            |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Leafeon            |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Charizard          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Decidueye          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Drapion            |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Thievul            |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Bewear             |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Copperajah         |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Rhyperior          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Toxicroak          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Dhelmise           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Milotic            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Weezing            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Golurk             |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Gigalith           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Tangela            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Seismitoad         |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Lycanroc           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Scrafty            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Froslass           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |

Xatu (
)
In previous iterations of the RarelyUsed meta, Xatu always saw usage as a defensive hazard control Pokemon equipped with Rocky Helmet, being able to fare well vs common Stealth Rockers of those metas such as Mudsdale and Steelix. Additionally, with its access to Teleport that got buffed in SS, being able to provide momentum to breakers on the same team proved to be really useful for it. However, with the evolution and advancement of the meta, we saw Xatu take a backfoot for a short period, due to the sudden surge of popular offensive options in the tier such as Rotom-Mow and Golurk for example. The first signs of usage for Xatu in Snake was actually a Choice Scarf user used on Sun teams, as sort of a bulky utility support with Psychic | Roost | U-turn | Trick, which could fulfill plenty of roles for the archetype. It could provide an emergency revenge kill option, had the ability to cripple opposing defensive Pokemon with Trick, or provide momentum with U-turn. However, in Week 4, there was a sudden resurgence of the defensive set of old, and it actually proved useful on the teams it featured on. For starters, in the game between odr and roman, we see roman's Xatu being able to get Heliolisk safely in versus opposing Xatu due to Teleport, providing him with more momentum as odr is forced to switch and roman can further pivot around with the use of Volt Switch. On the other side of the battlefield, we see odr's Xatu out-slowing roman's, and was able to get Dragalge in on Golisopod, which could have gotten a lot of damage off on it and limit its ability to revenge kill with First Impression, especially considering that odr's Xatu was later revealed to be carrying Rocky Helmet. However, unfortunately for odr, roman got a crit with Drill Run the next turn, OHKOing it and putting odr in a bad spot. In atomicllamas' game, we see a feature of the earlier mentioned Choice Scarf set. It was able to get momentum once or twice with U-turn, putting atomicllamas in a favourable position to get in the right Pokemon. Subsequently, we observe it being able to cripple Pepeduce's Calm Mind Sigilyph by tricking it a Choice Scarf, limiting its ability to do anything. Most importantly, the Xatu was able to constantly come in on Pepeduce's Druddigon - which happened to be Rough Skin and not Mold Breaker - and prevent Stealth Rock from getting up, which helped atomicllamas in being able to keep his sun breakers such as Specs Charizard healthy.

I certainly do think we will see more of Xatu in the future weeks of Snake, although it would be cool to see other possibilities past the current two sets shown being explored and effectively utilised, such as a possible Defensive Calm Mind set, which would definitely be really interesting.

Mantine (
)
On the topic of hazard removal Pokemon, Mantine also comes to mind. Previously, when Mantine was in RU prior to its rise in April, the set most commonly seen was a defensive Defog set. When it was dropped back to RU, most people defaulted back to the standard Defog set. In this week of Snake though, there were a lot more interesting options explored, such as Rain Dance Offensive Mantine, along with SubToxic Mantine, while of course Defog was also being utilised. In my opinion, this is very interesting as there has always been other possibilities to be explored with Mantine, and it's nice finally seeing different sets in tournament play. In Feliburn's game, we see Rain Dance Offensive Mantine putting in tons of work near the end game, perhaps due to an interesting sequence where Nat switched out her Lycanroc when it was looking to be in a good position to sweep. Firstly, Mantine helped chunk the an incoming Choice Band Seismitoad with Hurricane in the mid-game. Subsequently, after Feliburn's Dragalge set up a Toxic Spike and went down 2 turns later, his Mantine came in on Sigilyph and got up rain, then netted 2 kills on Sigilyph and Gigalith en route to a win. In the game between HANTSUKI and Ajna, we see HANTSUKI's SubToxic Mantine being able to put in some work, crippling Ajna's defensive Pokemon in Porygon2 and Mantine with Toxic. However, we observe a limitation of the SubToxic set in that because it only runs Toxic, and Ajna had a Mantine and a Porygon2 able to trace Water Absorb, HANTSUKI's Mantine could not make much progress after getting off the Toxics as it was walled by 2 Pokemon by merit of its only attacking move being Scald. In the same game, Ajna's Mantine was able to put in a lot of work, mainly in limiting the progress HANTSUKI could make with entry hazards such as Stealth Rock from Golurk and Spikes from Klefki, being able to Defog them away on 3 separate occassions throughout the game.

I believe Mantine will see similar amounts of usage in weeks to come, with Defog being helpful vs Spikes stack from opposing teams, or Rain Dance Offensive being able to do a lot of work vs unprepared teams. Another set that I think could do some work is SubRoost + 2 Attacks Offensive Mantine, which can make a lot of progress with status support vs bulkier opposing teams.

Druddigon (
)
Druddigon is a very interesting prospect in RU. It is a cool Stealth Rocker with access to 2 amazing abilities. It has Rough Skin, that can paired with Rocky Helmet to deter opposing physical attackers such as Passimian or Golisopod. It also has Mold Breaker, which is particularly useful to always guaranteed get up rocks vs Magic Bounce Pokemon such as Espeon and Xatu. On to what was actually being used in Snake, we saw a Defensive set with Rough Skin + Rocky Helmet as earlier mentioned, with a moveset of Stealth Rock | Dragon Tail | Glare | Earthquake presumably, also previously shown in Week 1. Not only does is it effective in providing a Stealth Rocker for the team with the ability to chip threatening physical attackers, it also has the ability to phase the enemy team around, when used in conjunction in Spikes, can be very devastating if the enemy is not able to get hazards off their side of the field timely. In Charmflash's game, it was able to get up rocks early in the game, which with the Defogger of the opposing team knocked out by Turn 12, stayed up for the rest of the game. Along with that, it was able to Glare the Steelix to cripple it, and phase it out twice to rack up Stealth Rock damage on certain members of the opposing team.

Hopefully we get to see more Druddigon in action, would also be very cool to see other options being explored, such as Offensive Druddigon, perhaps even with Flamethrower to lure Steelix, or Mold Breaker Offensive, to allow it to get up rocks guaranteed. It definitely is a Pokemon with tons of potential yet to be discovered, although the Defensive set being used right now is also definitely one of its strongest options.

Sneasel (
)
Sneasel has always to me been a good Pokemon, but perhaps just under the radar and people do not seem to be picking up on it as often. It is able to run 2 different sets efficiently, first being a Choice Band set, the other being a Swords Dance set with Heavy-Duty Boots, which can both be very effective due to Sneasel's threatening STAB combination allowing with its amazing speed tier. Both sets could also potentially equip Life Orb over the items I mentioned, providing the ability to switch up moves for the first set, and the ability to do more damage after a Swords Dance boost for the second. However, with Life Orb, it has to be paired with sufficient hazard control support, to avoid it getting excessively worn down with the combination of Life Orb recoil and entry hazards damage. In Charmflash's game, we see Sneasel being able to do a huge chunk of damage on the opposing Mantine with Triple Axel on the switch-in, then finishing it off in the next 2 turns (Triple Axel being only one hit in the next immediate turn was indeed slightly unfortunate for Charmflash due to the potential chance to get burned by Scald). In odr's game, we see Sneasel in full effectiveness and displays how good this Pokemon can be in the right conditions. It killed off the opposing Rhyperior with the combination of Icicle Crash and Low Kick (assisted by Passimian Knock Off) early on in the game. After a Xatu sack Turn 21, odr was able to bring it in yet again to nab a guaranteed kill due to roman's team not having very solid Dark checks. Repeat this cycle a few more times where Sneasel gets in for free 2 more times and it nabbed 4 kills by the end of the game. However, it was too little too late for odr as he did not have enough sacks to allow Sneasel to clean up, however, we can truly see how much of a menace Sneasel can be!

In a nutshell, Sneasel is definitely a very underrated breaker that deserves to be explored more. With the combination of its threatening STABs along with its amazing speed tier, it can become a force to reckon with, and can definitely fare well vs a lot of offensive structures. It just has to be properly supported by good hazard removal Pokemon and its good to go!

Thievul (
)
Damn, Thievul! Never thought it would be used this early, but its definitely a welcome surprise. Currently residing in PUBL (usable in NU and up), it has a very cool niche with 2 interesting abilities that can branch it out to different sets. Firstly, Thievul has Unburden, which paired with a Terrain setter such as Indeedee-F or Thwackey or Pincurchin and the respective Seeds, can allow it to gain a speed boost and become a threatening set-up sweeper when coupled with Nasty Plot. Secondly, with its hidden ability in Stakeout being released in DLC1, it can run a menacing Choice Specs set, which with its decent Speed tier coupled with its good coverage options, can force a lot of switch-ins and enhance its damage via Stakeout, allowing it to deal huge chunks of damage versus opposing teams. In Feliburn's game, we see the second set being used, which definitely posed a huge threat to the opposing team. On both times it came in, it was off a free switch vs Sigilyph, once when it Roosted and once on a double switch. On the first time, it got off a huge chunk of damage on the opposing specially defensive Gigalith on the switch-in, being able to do an amazing 53% to it with Dark Pulse, which is not an achievement many special attackers can boast. On the second time, it managed to chunk Klefki for 43% on the switch-in, and then kill it off in the next 2 turns. Definitely a very exciting Pokemon!

Hopefully, we get to see more Thievul being used effectively in the weeks to come. It definitely appears to be a very interesting prospect that can put in tons of work if in the right conditions. Maybe we will get to see the other set with Unburden in action somewhere down the line, we'll have to wait and see!

Additionally, for the readers, here's a set of Choice Specs Thievul if you want to try it out, courtesy of Feliburn!
Thievul @ Choice Specs
Ability: Stakeout
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Burning Jealousy
- Psychic
- U-turn

Last edited:

atomicllamas

Usage statistics, replays, and records up to date in the OP. 5th straight week of a different pokemon claiming the top spot (Mantine). Centiskorch appeared for the first time in RU this tournament and managed to grab 2 wins, Porygon2 also picked up a win and has not lost yet this tour (6-0). All 10 teams were some version of the pivot offense that has dominated the tour so far, ranging from Sensei Axew's Semi-Rain to several teams where pivots + breakers aim to get bulky set up mons into winning positions (BU Scrafty, Malamar/Psycho Shift Sigi, NP Slowbro-g, etc.)

week 6

matchups:
  • [RAT] Ajna vs Charmflash [MAM]
  • [SER] Mazinger vs snaga [COB]
  • [AST] Feliburn vs Pepeduce [LIN]
  • [LEV] odr vs atomicllamas [NAG]
  • [BUS] soulgazer vs Expulso [TAI]
  • [RAT] Ajna vs Charmflash [MAM] - highlight match up imo, should be really fun to watch
  • [SER] Mazinger vs snaga [COB] - mazinger looked comfortable this week
  • [AST] Feliburn vs Pepeduce [LIN] - feel mean cause I keep predicting against pepe and I actually really liked his team this past week, but I feel like predicting against feli at this point is insane (even tho I keep predicting against him too :thinking:)
  • [BUS] soulgazer vs Expulso [TAI] - soulgazer the goat of farming lower tiers

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
[RAT] Ajna vs Charmflash [MAM] - 55-45. this is a rly close one, going to favor ajna slightly but charmflash has looked impressive this tour as well, winning in probably a more secure way than ajna did this week (ajna's odds were like 67% between winning silv speed tie and pjab poisoning / critting, didnt follow cflashs game close enough to know odds but looked like a very clean win)
[SER] Mazinger vs snaga [COB] - 51-49, doesnt mean a ton that mazinger beat me bc im terrible but i thought his team looked good, just bolding him slightly bc snaga has been slumping lately (rt) but this could go either way
[AST] Feliburn vs Pepeduce [LIN] - 65-35 feli will def prep hard for orb sigi, which pepe used to just whittle down and beat the odr team; besides that game, where flame orb sigi owned, pepe hasnt been super good in builder, so i trust feli to have mu. i'd trust feli to win in an even
[LEV] odr vs atomicllamas [NAG] - 55-45 idk im surprised im doing this because odr is such a good player but it's how i feel; llamas has looked excellent this tour, very consistent week-to-week, always gets the win or at least has a good shot of doing so (e.g. almost sweeping ajna with silvdark today). (dont re-use scald switchin golisopod tho). i think he has overall been more in control than odr has in their respective games. this could also go either way though, should be a fun one as long as neither of them brings sun or something :pirate: :mad:

[BUS] soulgazer vs Expulso [TAI] - i wouldnt be surprised if i never win again this tour, ive played like dogshit and hate this tier. will try to schedule for saturday evening & edit time in when i do

gorex

penguin council
LCPL Champion
WEEK 5

SS RU

Code:
| 1    | Mantine            |    5 |  50.00% |  60.00% |
| 2    | Steelix            |    4 |  40.00% |  50.00% |
| 2    | Bronzong           |    4 |  40.00% |  50.00% |
| 2    | Drapion            |    4 |  40.00% |  50.00% |
| 5    | Decidueye          |    3 |  30.00% |  66.67% |
| 5    | Slowbro-Galar      |    3 |  30.00% |  66.67% |
| 5    | Gardevoir          |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 5    | Heliolisk          |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 9    | Centiskorch        |    2 |  20.00% | 100.00% |
| 9    | Silvally           |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Seismitoad         |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Weezing            |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Scrafty            |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Klefki             |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Dhelmise           |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Rotom              |    2 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 9    | Gastrodon          |    2 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 18   | Silvally-Ground    |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 18   | Passimian          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 18   | Porygon2           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 18   | Golisopod          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 18   | Sigilyph           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 18   | Malamar            |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 18   | Arcanine           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 18   | Braviary           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 18   | Silvally-Dark      |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 18   | Salazzle           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 18   | Gallade            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 18   | Vileplume          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 18   | Bewear             |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 18   | Charizard          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 18   | Goodra             |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |

Highlights
Decidueye
(:decidueye:)
Decidueye is an interesting Pokemon with tons of potential, as it has a wide variety of roles that it is able to fill, namely a Defogger, a set-up sweeper (with Swords Dance or Nasty Plot), a breaker (with Choice Specs), or even a speed control (with Choice Scarf). Despite this, it did not see much usage up till this week, only being used once cumulatively. With new trends evolving in the metagame, it is interesting to see Decidueye finally being in the spotlight. Additionally, due to its typing, it also functions as one of the better checks to Heliolisk. The sets we saw this week were Roost + Nasty Plot and Choice Specs. Roost + Nasty Plot not only has the merit of being able to force damage onto the opposing team, it also has the added benefit of being able to sustain throughout the course of the game if played right, which lets it function as a Heliolisk answer that cannot get worn down easily. On the other hand, Choice Specs has amazing breaking potential with its good coverage, along with a possible U-turn filler that can generate momentum for the team. In Feliburn's game, we witness the strength of Roost + Nasty Plot versus a generally slower opposing team. In the late game, it comes in on a double switch versus the opposing Heliolisk, and is then able to set up on it. With a Nasty Plot boost under its belt, it is then able to kill off the opposing Heliolisk with Leaf Storm, and subsequently, the Seismitoad with an unboosted Leaf Storm. Had Feliburn set up 2 Nasty Plots instead of 1, he could've potentially just swept the endgame with Decidueye, as the last remaining member on the opposing team was Dhelmise, which it could not kill at -2 SpA. In the game between atomicllamas and Ajna, we see atomicllamas piloting a Choice Specs variant and Ajna piloting what is likely to be a Roost + Nasty Plot variant (only revealed Leaf Storm over the course of the game, and the damage done wasn't Specs damage). On atomicllamas' side, the Decidueye was able to chunk the opposing Drapion for about 40%, which opened up an opportunity for Silvally-Dark to clean in the lategame, which was unfortunately cut short by a timely Poison Jab crit from Drapion. On Ajna's side, it was able to revenge kill the opposing Steelix with Leaf Storm, however, it opened up an opportunity for the opposing Silvally-Dark to set up and sweep (would have been without hax).

I think it is definitely interesting that Decidueye has seen more usage in this week, and I hope it continues to do so as there is still tons of potential for it with its other sets that can also be used in the right team settings.

Centiskorch (:centiskorch:)
Centiskorch is definitely an interesting Pokemon to look at. Having just been released this generation, it was previously deemed to be too strong for one of the past iterations of the meta and was quickbanned via council vote. One of the key reasons was because it appeared to be too strong at preview and had avenues to invalidate defensive checks. It was recently unbanned and has lied low in the tournament scene for a while now. Having not been used before this week in Snake, it was used twice and won all the games it got used in. With its fantastic coverage as well as its access to Knock Off, it has a lot of ability to threaten opposing teams. In Feliburn's game, it was able to knock off Leftovers from an interesting Goodra set that was looking to be possibly annoying in practice. It was then able to come in on an Anchor Shot from Dhelmise, and was able to chunk an incoming Goodra for 42% with Leech Life, then knock out the opposing Weezing with a combination of Leech Life + 2 Fire Lashes. In Mazinger's game, it was able to chunk Steelix for 84% with an Overheat before dying to Head Smash. While this might not seem like much, it opened up Heliolisk a lot more as Steelix was now in Grass Knot range and could not adequately block the momentum grabbing via Volt Switch.

It would be interesting to continue monitoring the usage of Centiskorch to see if it might possibly become as threatening as it used to or possibly rise to even greater heights if being supported correctly, but only time will tell.

Dhelmise (:dhelmise:)
In this list, we have another Grass- and Ghost- typing Pokemon in Dhelmise. It has recently rose up in usage not only for its ability to function as one of the best available Rapid Spinners in the tier, but also as an answer to Heliolisk which has recently been gaining tons of traction in the tier. Its access to Synthesis also allows it to sustain throughout the course of the game. In Mazinger's game, the Dhelmise was able to come in on Steelix and chip Drapion for 34% with Power Whip. In a mid-game sequence shortly after that, the Dhelmise was able to come in for free vs the opposing Heliolisk after Mazinger went for Volt Switch with his own Heliolisk, and the Dhelmise was then able to net a kill on Scrafty with Power Whip as Heliolisk was forced to switch out. The next time it came in on a double switch against the opposing Mantine, it was able to get yet another kill against the Drapion that switched in. To wrap up the end game, it was able to get kills on both Mantine and Heliolisk.

As witnessed in the Mazinger game, Dhelmise is clearly a very capable Pokemon in the current state of the tier, being able to put in tons of work in one game if utilised correctly. Hopefully, we get to witness more of its usage and how effective it can be in future weeks.

Weezing (:weezing:)
Weezing gained a new ability in Sword and Shield in Neutralising Gas, which essentially grants it 2 very functional abilities in both Levitate and Neutralising Gas, which can allow it to be used for different purposes. Levitate is used when the team crucially needs a Ground-type immunity, and can allow it to avoid getting worn down by Spikes. On the other hand, Neutralising Gas allows it to absorb Toxic Spikes on the switch-in, as well as disrupt important abilities such as Levitate or Regenerator for example. Additionally, it also got a very cool support move in Corrosive Gas, which allows it to remove important opposing items such as Leftovers or Eviolite or Heavy-Duty Boots etc. In Sensei Axew's game, we are able to witness a very cool usage of the Neutralising Gas Toxic Spikes variant of Weezing. Being paired with a Goodra using Curse | Rest | Dragon Tail | Earthquake with the Hydration ability and partnered with Rain Dance support, the goal is to set up Toxic Spikes and create a sustainable wall with Goodra with Curse to boost its subpar Defense stat and keep phasing the opposing team with Dragon Tail or dent Steels with a boosted Earthquake. Unfortunately, the idea did not work out as planned as Feliburn on the opposing end had 2 Poison-types, a Steel-type and Defog support, which made it practically impossible to make ground with Toxic Spikes. Nonetheless, it was still a good idea and it would've been cool to see it work out.

Hopefully in the next few weeks, we are able to witness a game which truly showcases Weezing's capabilities in RU, as it definitely has tons of potential if supported in the right team.

Silvally-Ground (:silvally:)
Silvally-Ground, also one of my favorite Silvally-formes has always had an interesting place in the meta. Being first used in RUPL on a team built by yours truly, it also saw some usage in RU Snake Draft and is a very interesting Pokemon. Basically, teams generally do not have many Ground-immunes or resists, and even those can either be pivoted on with U-turn, or lured by Thunder Fang or Rock Slide. The only noticeable flaw or rather downside with it is that due to its Ground-typing, which previously overlapped with a lot of viable rockers in the tier such as Mudsdale and Steelix, it was not the easiest fit on any team during the building phase. Now that the tier has begun to move towards Steel-type rockers, Silvally-Ground has slowly but surely been finding its place in the meta. In Ajna's game, we are able to witness the potential that Silvally-Ground possesses. atomicllamas' team had one Ground resist and one immune in Decidueye and Mantine respectively. In the early game, it was able to chunk the Decidueye hard with the combination of Multi Attack and U-turn. Subsequently, it was also able to gain momentum on the opposing Mantine by outspeeding and pivoting out with U-turn. Had Ajna been able to set up with Silvally-Ground at any point in the game, it could've potentially netted a few kills or even clean up the game.

I sure hope to see more of this Pokemon, as it's very interesting and definitely has a very nice niche that can be properly utilised in the right conditions.

Last edited:

atomicllamas

Hello, weekly annoying post where I tell you I've updated the OP and it is current in replays, records, and usage stats. A couple firsts in the usage stats this week, first Porygon2 loss, first repeat of a top usage mon (Steelix week 4 and week 6), first time Shiinotic won an RU game etc. Don't have a ton of personal thoughts on this weeks games other than it was cool to see 3 different sigi sets used in the final week of it being allowed, LO attacker was used by snaga, flame orb cm by odr, and I used tinted lens specs sigi which, ironically given its ability, was fucking blind. I was also surprised there was no Virizion (given the galar bro exit) and no Kingdra at all this week, personally I found Kingdra scary in my prep and I hope to see it get some play this week because it seems like it has some creative options.

Anyways, week 7

matchups:

[RAT] Ajna vs odr [LEV]
[MAM] Charmflash vs Mazinger [SER]
[NAG] Kink vs Feliburn [AST]
[COB] snaga vs soulgazer [BUS]
[LIN] Pepeduce vs Expulso [TAI]

man I really can not get more than 2 of these a week right, lol

[RAT] Ajna vs odr [LEV] - Ajna has found his groove, would not be surprised if he finishes with the top record overall. odr rebounded this week but I think Ajna has looked better week to week thus far.
[MAM] Charmflash vs Mazinger [SER] - both coming off a loss but I honestly just liked mazinger's team more this week. definitely should be an interesting game I just rate Mazinger highly in general
[COB] snaga vs soulgazer [BUS] - this is the hardest game to predict by far in my opinion, but soulgazer is a normal user and in some respects we are aligned.
[LIN] Pepeduce vs Expulso [TAI] - Pepeduce defeated the undefeatable this past week, while Expulso has been struggling a bit, Expulso had a great week 3 game, if he can play like that again he should be in it, but if he doesn't turn it around I fear that this slide will become psychological, it may be already

sensei axew

i’m not a stop along the way, i’m a destination
is a Community Contributoris a Three-Time Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
RAT] Ajna vs odr [LEV] - can see this swinging in either's favor but ajna's been consistently solid this tour while odr has been struggling a bit. i'm also generally a bigger fan on ajna's teams because he doesn't bring unviable shit like shiinotic????
[MAM] Charmflash vs Mazinger [SER] - their playing capabilities have both been kind of even so this is a matter of who's teams i've been liking more and that trophy definitely goes to mazinger.
[NAG] Kink vs Feliburn [AST] - feli took a rough L against that heinous but effective Scrafty set last week. however he's obviously had a solid groove this entire tour and I think that with good prep he should be able to take this one.
[LIN] Pepeduce vs Expulso [TAI] - as much as I want to bold my boy, I'm not sure if he's gonna take this one. it can definitely go either way but pepe's been pretty solid overall and I think it's about time that I bold him in one of these.

Last edited:

gorex

penguin council
LCPL Champion
WEEK 6
(Note: Only 3 Pokemon in "Highlights" for now, I'll try to edit in 2 more when I'm more clear-headed, especially considering the fact that it isn't the easiest to consistently find 5 highlight Pokemon each week. Sorry for the late coverage, I only found free time once I booked out from army :blobsad: )

SS RU

Code:
| 1    | Steelix            |    5 |  50.00% |  80.00% |
| 2    | Xatu               |    4 |  40.00% |  50.00% |
| 2    | Passimian          |    4 |  40.00% |  50.00% |
| 4    | Sigilyph           |    3 |  30.00% |  66.67% |
| 4    | Scrafty            |    3 |  30.00% |  66.67% |
| 4    | Seismitoad         |    3 |  30.00% |   0.00% |
| 7    | Mantine            |    2 |  20.00% | 100.00% |
| 7    | Porygon2           |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 7    | Salazzle           |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 7    | Milotic            |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 7    | Inteleon           |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 7    | Klefki             |    2 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 13   | Silvally           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 13   | Silvally-Fairy     |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 13   | Drampa             |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 13   | Barraskewda        |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 13   | Centiskorch        |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 13   | Druddigon          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 13   | Charizard          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 13   | Rhydon             |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 13   | Shiinotic          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 13   | Sneasel            |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 13   | Espeon             |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 13   | Ninjask            |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 13   | Dragalge           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 13   | Golisopod          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 13   | Sableye            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 13   | Lycanroc           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 13   | Gigalith           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 13   | Dhelmise           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 13   | Gardevoir          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 13   | Vileplume          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 13   | Coalossal          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 13   | Bronzong           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 13   | Heliolisk          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 13   | Arcanine           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 13   | Escavalier         |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 13   | Haunter            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 13   | Goodra             |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |

Steelix (:steelix:)
Steelix has essentially been a mainstay in the RU tier, silently fulfilling its role as a Stealth Rocker with great efficiency. However, it has not really been in the spotlight as people often took more notice of the more flashy offensive Pokemon, which I am also guilty of. Seeing that it has the highest usage along with a good win rate this week, it made me want to feature it in the write-up this week. Steelix generally runs the same item and spread, where the only variety is in its move choices. Apart from Stealth Rocks, the 3 other slots can be filled by a lot of different moves, such as a Steel STAB (Heavy Slam or Gyro Ball), Earthquake, Body Press, Toxic and Head Smash, or even more uncommon moves such as Curse, Iron Defense and Roar, which saw more usage in older iterations of the meta. This allows Steelix to be malleable as it can run whichever moves needed to answer certain threats for whichever team it is on, which is an incredibly valuable trait while building. In odr's game, it was able to keep up Stealth Rock for the entire course of the game, while also being able to get a Toxic off on the opposing Seismitoad on the switch.

Yup, I finally covered a snake-like Pokemon for the Smogon SNAKE Draft coverage. Definitely expect to see Steelix being used consistently over the rest of the tour as it is arguably the best Stealth Rock option we have right now, and can be used in various manners to similar levels of effectiveness and efficiency.

Scrafty (:scrafty:)
Scrafty has always been a force to reckon with in RU, being able to pilot both Specially Defensive Bulk Up sets and Dragon Dance sets to similar levels of effectiveness. The Bulk Up set best functions on a balance type team structure, which allows it to slowly find openings to set up and batter the opposing team while being bulky on both ends. On the other hand, the Dragon Dance set best functions on offensive paced teams, where it can be more explosive and essentially sweep after 1 or 2 Dragon Dances. In Pepeduce's game, we observe the Dragon Dance variant of Scrafty being piloted with a slight twist. It was paired with a Dual Screens Xatu, and ran Substitute to set up more consistently to boot. After getting up Dual Screens with Xatu, Scrafty is able to find a set-up opportunity versus the opposing Heliolisk, and Substitute up to block the incoming Strength Sap from Vileplume which switched in as the response to the threat of Scrafty. From there, it spiralled out of control as Pepeduce got a good roll on the Vileplume to OHKO it with a boosted Knock Off, and then proceeded to sweep the game. In soulgazer's game, we can see the amount of damage Scrafty is able to put out even when it does not manage to sweep through the entire game. After 2 Dragon Dances, it is able to 2HKO the opposing Milotic and OHKO the Passimian. Afterwards, it proceeded to chunk Steelix for 83% before finally going down. Having essentially claimed 3 kills in the mid game, Scrafty proved to be very effectively used in this instance.

Hopefully, we are able to witness similar levels of destruction from Scrafty, or even other cool set-up sweepers to be honest, which would definitely make games an interesting watch!

Shiinotic (:shiinotic:)
Shiinotic...yeah, him. For those thinking why Shiinotic and what it does, do not worry as I will try my best to explain what it is able to achieve (emphasis on try as Shiinotic is not really commonplace in the meta at all). Basically, you can liken it to a Vileplume, whereby they are both defensive Grass-types with access to Strength Sap, which allow both of them to hard check certain threatening physical attackers. They both also have access to Effect Spore. One thing that sets Shiinotic apart is its secondary typing. With a secondary Fairy-typing, it is able to actually resist Ground-type attacks unlike Vileplume, and I guess it also has a marginally higher Special Defense stat. This makes it a pretty cool niche option worth trying as you do not have to pack a Ground-type answer along with a bulky Grass-type, which can help save certain troubles in teambuilding. While it did not do much in odr's game, it was able to cripple the opposing Escavalier with Thunder Wave, as well as Strength Sap which allowed odr's Steelix to come in for essentially free.

It would be interesting to see if this is the first and last sighting of Shiinotic in RU, or will more players begin to try it out and maybe find something that they like about Shiinotic that makes it even more worth using. It would definitely be a welcome change to me, as I've also thought of using Shiinotic in past metas, and it was cool to finally see it getting official representation

atomicllamas

Sorry for the delay everyone, I was on vacation with my family and thus have been on a 4 day bender in order to deal with them. I updated the OP with replays, stats and records, but I do not have insights this week as again, bender. I do think its fucking funny that sg and snaga didn't play ig?

week 8 match ups:
  • [LIN] Pepeduce vs snaga [COB]
  • [AST] Feliburn vs odr [LEV]
  • [RAT] Ajna vs Nat [SER]
  • [NAG] atomicllamas vs Expulso [TAI]
  • [MAM] Eifo vs Ramolost [BUS]

complained about always getting 2 correct so I got 0 instead, bop.

• [LIN] Pepeduce vs snaga [COB] - respect the fact that snaga won't play if it don't matter
  • [AST] Feliburn vs odr [LEV] - odr has bounced back? Feliburn won a game he maybe didn't deserve this week. But I have predicted every feli game wrong so I don't really care.
  • [RAT] Ajna vs Nat [SER] - nooooo, don't force nat to play ;-;
  • [MAM] Eifo vs Ramolost [BUS] - don't know shit about ramo but eifo has done well so far, basically a guess

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)