CAP 28 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun_dew

formerly JAGFL
is a Pre-Contributor
WIP

Finally changing my design to fit ngas, I guess. Based primarily on an earwig and a fog machine, there’s also a bit of dragon ant inspiration with the spiky bits on the midsection. Feedback is appreciated, of course!

WIP

Wasn't really feeling my old design and it didn't work with NGas at all, so I decided to make a brand new design instead! Based on fighter jets and wasps. As usual, any feedback is appreciated!

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
WIP

My stinkbug design may have survived the primary ability vote, but stats look like they're going in another direction than I had hoped. So I decided to retool my design into a bombardier beetle! I also scrapped the hazmat/riot squad motifs of the design in favor of something more akin to an exterminator, with the design now holding its tail like a fumigation hose.

As always, a big thanks to the people over on Discord for helping me flesh out this new iteration of the design. Fingers crossed that the stats end up in its favor!

Supporting Art
Higher quality version

Last edited:
WIP

Wasn't really feeling my old design and it didn't work with NGas at all, so I decided to make a brand new design instead! Based on fighter jets and wasps. As usual, any feedback is appreciated!
This guy looks awesome! Only thing I'd say is maybe scale up the head a tiny bit (they seem to have Legendary proportions) and make the eyes/face more expressive and buglike. Definitely change the eyes colour; right now they blend a lot with the visor.

Darek851 this design is looking neat! My advice is regarding colors mainly- if you go for this sharp yellow, i wouldnt cover the design with it like that, it starts to diminish it as a highlight color and also looks a bit overwhelming. Id just use it to draw the eye to the important parts, which is the head (goggles) and the butt. You can use it elsewhere but id advise against huge amounts, its probably better to just use a speck. My only other critique would to give a bit more features to the face, maybe some streamlined antenna? Then this would be a big contender for me!

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I felt like I needed to push my design to get it to a place I felt CAP would find interesting. I tried out like five different versions of where to go with the design, with ideas such as a centaur-like build, medusa-like smoke, and a more traditional eastern dragon build (except it's a dog), but I always felt like the original design was stronger. Thanks to everyone in the CAP Discord server for their feedback on the design--I can recall 20Yelram02, Darquezze, KoA, Mos-Quitoxe, Reiga, and Sunfished for their feedback. :)

I've lucked out with where stats are going, I think. This design's razor-thin limbs evoke bladed Pokemon like Scyther, Bisharp, and Kartana, which have high physical attack. Additionally, this thinness simultaneously suggests "low" physical defense. Serpentine Pokemon like Arbok and Milotic match the speed range we're going for.

I wanted to make it a little more than paper-thin, both to make it a better fit for physical defense and to generally make it match the CAP BST standards, so I ended up giving it centipede-like segments on its body. As a bonus, the segments help justify Bug more visibly as a typing on this design. :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed now that I can adapt this design to where secondary ability might going. ^^;

Changelog:
  • Cleaned up guide outlines.
  • Tweaked the width/height ratio of the head.
  • Made body slightly less paper-thin to accommodate stats.
  • Increased light green saturation.
  • Made gas look more like gas and less like hair.

WIP

I liked my dragon-mimic mantis, but the smoke just felt tacked on. I completely changed my design to something I like even better, so I hope people will be "on board" with my train isopod, hehehe.

WIP

Made a bunch of changes to the design, particularly added the gas. Previous draft. Tried to add the gas as Chinese dragon clouds but didn't work out great. Here's whiskers of pheromones acting as feelers. Thanks to StephXPM and AmamamA for suggestions on discord! Feeling this more than the previous design, but I think this is kind of it for now.

Supporting Art:
Heavy Duty Boots

WIP

Hello all first post in thread here.
Decided to revitalize my assassin bug submission for CAP 15 (see here and here). Design basis is more in the stats than the typing or ability, aiming to exemplify a high Attack, low Defense concept.
Large talons on the hands and feet and half-bat half-insect wings should look dangerous enough for a plethora of physical dragon moves. The Wheel Bug-derived folding shuriken on its back is the primary gas emission organ, neutralizing its targets' powers to allow it to approach with a lethal blow. A suite of ninja techniques should provide a decent means of surviving special attacks sent its way.
I intend to make the gas more prominent in the final artwork by giving it a scarf of the stuff as per the sketch on the bottom left.

Last edited:
WIP
Based on Godzilla and Ambush bugs! Edit: Changed the design of the legs a bit, and dulled the color of the back spikes
Ambush Dragon 640 pixel.png

Last edited:

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
In an effort to avoid the swirling maelstrom known as the secondary ability, I figure I'll just offload my current WiP as it stands now.

WIP

Colors take some cues from wasps, the base body form. The larger abdomen situated above the main body is what stores all this pokemon's energy, and it constantly emits a stream of gas from its hindquarters as it moves and flies, forming a sort of pseudo-tail and also evoking imagery of a jet stream behind it. I have a couple ideas for a couple other secondary abilities being discussed, but for the most part I'm just gonna wait and see before getting too attached.

Here's also some supporting art showing how it looks while grounded, as well as the vapor tail that trails behind it:

https://imgur.com/MGVCcu2

Thanks once again to everyone on discord as I try to make a cohesive design from the platter given to us lol.

Final Submission

Design based on sewer crocodile (though I guess in the stories they were alligators, but Killer Croc lives in a sewer still!) and a cockroach. Gas justification comes from a sewer. No secondary ability will stop it, cockroaches are the epitomy of evolution and will survive anything from atomic bomb to the sun blowing up.

Last edited:

Shadowshocker

It shall rest here in peace. Forever, if you wish.
is a Top Artistis a Smogon Media Contributor
WIP

So honestly, I haven't been super involved with this CAP as I did with crucible dragon - work and games (but mostly games) and other real life aspects taking my mind off things, aside from a few hastily scribbled ideas put up on Discord. I'm still quite keen on the idea of Dragon-types that aren't really dragons - a gila monster worm or draconic scorpion were some of the concepts I juggled. But the idea that spoke most was puppet show spider animating a dragon. "Hold on there, Volt Turner, won't you stay and watch Grandpappy CAP 28's puppet show? Everyone loves puppet shows!"

Mustached boy came as a result of me thinking spider mouth bits (chelicae) really look like a bushy set of whiskers if I squint enough, which led to the development of this dapper arachnid. He uses his string not only to animate the dragon puppet he uses but also to fix it when it gets tattered. The "dragon" has gotten so worn over time he's... filled with gas? (The way polls have apparently been going seem to favour a plump dragon that's weak and fluffy on the inside but Imma stop myself before this looks like influencing or something.)

I'd honestly like to say that I delayed this reattempt because I wanted more information like abilities and stat spread to come out so I wouldn't freak out over Poison Touch like I nearly did the last time but it was both a bit of timely sudden reappearance and me just vanishing without explanation.

WIP

So honestly, I haven't been super involved with this CAP as I did with crucible dragon - work and games (but mostly games) and other real life aspects taking my mind off things, aside from a few hastily scribbled ideas put up on Discord. I'm still quite keen on the idea of Dragon-types that aren't really dragons - a gila monster worm or draconic scorpion were some of the concepts I juggled. But the idea that spoke most was puppet show spider animating a dragon. "Hold on there, Volt Turner, won't you stay and watch Grandpappy CAP 28's puppet show? Everyone loves puppet shows!"

Mustached boy came as a result of me thinking spider mouth bits (chelicae) really look like a bushy set of whiskers if I squint enough, which led to the development of this dapper arachnid. He uses his string not only to animate the dragon puppet he uses but also to fix it when it gets tattered. The "dragon" has gotten so worn over time he's... filled with gas? (The way polls have apparently been going seem to favour a plump dragon that's weak and fluffy on the inside but Imma stop myself before this looks like influencing or something.)

I'd honestly like to say that I delayed this reattempt because I wanted more information like abilities and stat spread to come out so I wouldn't freak out over Poison Touch like I nearly did the last time but it was both a bit of timely sudden reappearance and me just vanishing without explanation.
Shadowshocker
Hi there! I absolutely love this design. The spider's mustache, eyebrows, and top hat, along with the cute dragon puppet, are adorable. I could totally see this fellow saying "Hold on there, Volt Turner, won't you stay and watch Grandpappy CAP 28's puppet show? Everyone loves puppet shows!" like you said and I love it :p I appreciate being cute/playful rather than big scary draco bug monster!

Maybe the neutralizing gas could come from a smoke machine mounted inside the puppet (this is a high budget production ok :p)? Also I know this is a WIP but I think it'd be great if you could make the dragon's arms and spider's legs more dynamic! Right now it looks like the legs are happily dancing but the arms are still, solid cylinders that are just there. Having the spider waving and weaving its legs around to make the arms happily dance would add a nice sense of motion to your design :) another, more minor suggestion would be to show the strings and their attachment points to the head, tail (the tail could also be moving i guess), and limbs? but maybe this would be cluttery.

Anyways this is a super cute, innovative take on the concept-- I can't wait to see what you do with it! :)

WIP

This was a hard combo, I gotta admit. I struggled for quite a bit to make something work, which would not have been a good sign in most cases, and I'm still pretty sure the secondary ability will have a good chance of ruining it. Luckily, I've managed to make a design that works well enough for what's there so far! I think...

The main two inspirations for this big bug were Arthropleura, a gigantic Carboniferous millipede, and Nidhogg, the dragon that lives under the World Tree of Yggdrasil in Norse mythology. At around 2.5 meters (8.2 feet) long, Arthropleura was one of the largest terrestrial invertebrates known, so compared to cousin Scolipede, who's already pretty massive, I imagine this guy might well be as big as Onix, or even bigger. Now, what does Nidhogg have to do with this? You see, one of the best-known parts of his legend is that he chews on the roots of Yggdrasil in a bid to topple the tree over - either that, or chewing on the deceased bodies of the most depraved in life. I went with the root-eating bit because Arthropleura was likely herbivorous, which we know thanks to gut contents known from it largely consisting of plant life, so there's actually a justification for the root-munching lore in this case. That said, just because this thing can't eat you doesn't mean it can't kill you, and this being a Dragon-type I gave it a menacing appearance in the vein of Yanmega, with large fangs and sharp teeth for mincing plant food and attackers' limbs alike, Stegosaurus-like plates on the back like those on Yanmega, and a head plate slightly resembling a Viking warrior's helmet.

Now, as for the abilities and stat spread... Arthropleura is believed to have been quite quick despite its size thanks to analysis of fossilized trackways, which fits the Speed being pretty solid, though not great thanks to its size. The fangs and bladed spines already hint at high physical attack, but because this is an anti-pivot 'mon, I also styled the latter to suggest a picket fence (though I may have to make that clearer further down the road), and I can easily see it encircling its opponent, literally fencing it in and keeping it from escaping. The justification for both the almost as high Special Attack and Neutralizing Gas is the vapor pouring from the vents on the sides of its head and body along with the tips of its tail and antennae/horns. Many species of millipedes actually release toxic vapors such as cyanide as a defense, and turning this into an offensive technique was the next logical step, seeing as many European dragons were said to emit toxic fumes. As for the low defenses, one idea I originally had was the addition of a weak spot on the underbelly, a glowing marking that could be struck easily, but that seemed out of place after I tried putting it there. Then I realized that I could tie it into the vapor by having it come out of permanently open spiracles which would allow weaponry and energy attacks to easily enter and harm its insides, which gets the idea across but makes more thematic sense. Finally, I was originally going to color this thing pink like a pink dragon millipede, but after fiddling with the color scheme I found that this purple and blue palette works much better, especially with the green vapor like I'd always intended.

I'll fiddle around with this a bit more when I get the time (I particularly want to make the plates even more fence-shaped), but I'm happy with how this turned out, so hopefully it won't take too long to proceed to the shading! ^_^

WIP

This is legitimately the evolution of previous version I posted here, I think I'll submit that one as a prevolution if this passes.
Now I like how it turned out a lot more, even though I was satisfied with the previous one, this has the correct balance between detail and simple shapes, halfway between CAP and Pokémon style. The description is similare to those before, I was inspired by triceratops beetle more. At this point I'm not focusing on other possible abilities, but thats why it's still a WIP, because I may edit the concept as that gets established. I guess I'm already prepared for Lightning Rod, Weak Armor and Rattled.
EDIT: at this point I'm just waiting to see if secondary ability is Motor Drive, but I guess I'll stick with this concept anyway considering how much work of hands and thought it took.
EDIT2: To sum it up, if I can't write another post for my final sub, I'll just copy-paste this:
It is inspired to a triceratops beetle, a tri-horned beetle as you can tell from the name, and Southeast Asian rhinoceros beetle, that looks even more like a triceratops.

It gained the shape of a dragon to protect itself from aggressive Pokémon and predators, that could easily curve this Pokemon's frail armor. Their abdomen is in fact very soft, but the axe-shaped horn on the torso is very hard and it can cut wood. They rely on this horn in their charges against the enemy. The specimens that can exhale Neutralizing Gas from their shell use it to mark and define their territory, so that intruders loose their power when they enter it. Usually those that can spray this gas gather into groups to protect their own kind that don't have this ability, that instead protect the tribe using strong attacks with their boosted accuracy. Upper eyes seem in fact to receive some sort of information that the Pokemon uses to aim precisely at the enemy. They can fly, but only for short periods of time, and they have to recover for a bit after they do that.
This last bit means that they could learn Fly if their movepools allows/requires to have it, because their energies are partially restored inside Pokéballs (think of how it heals confusion), but that's not compulsory obviously, it's just a possibility.
To attack with Megahorn it uses its lower horn, while to use Dragon Hammer it uses the axe on its torso. The appearance also fits Dragon Claw, Dragon Tail and bodily moves like Superpower, Body Slam and others. Special moves are mainly thrown from its fake mouth, as its energy conveys there, so for example Dragon Pulse and Signal Beam can come out of that place, while Bug Buzz is performed using its wings obviously.

It is a roadblock because I imagine it as 1.8 meters high and 2 meters large, so it would physically block the road, but also because of its territorial attitude.
I will provide a documentation sheet with all different poses, proporitons and silhouettes, including the charging and flying ones.

My design looks more intended for a high defense, but I think the can compensate that with the fact of the frail armor. Weak Armor would have fitted, but it can also be reflected by other possible third abilities.

Last edited:
WIP

Steam Train Isopod! All aboard!

I might be the only person who's not too worried about abilities (except Download), so I figured I'd go ahead and get this mostly complete.

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
WIP

At the request of the people on Discord, I decided to go with a new color scheme that's a bit less Fire-typey. I also changed the forearms into something more reminiscient of oversized work gloves to better help with the exterminator vibes of the design, and to help move it away from the more defensively-oriented stinkbug design prior. I also removed the leg spikes so that they don't interfere with the arms, and reshaped the tip of the tail to better match the othos in the supporting art. Speaking of...

Supporting Art
Larger Version

Last edited:
WIP

Some more edits; changed the hind legs to be a bit smaller, as well as giving Ambush Godzilla Bug a more interesting pose. Also made the upper section of the limbs a tan color, to help distinguish it from the belly more

Last edited by a moderator:

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
WIP

PANCAKEMON STRIKES!!

Now, I know what you're thinking. "ZEPH I THOUGHT THIS WAS HONEEMON". Well, Discord took a look at the flat wings, the syrup covering them, and the honeecomb, and deemed it to be Pancake+Maple Syrup mon.

I'm probably going to add some supporting art a bit later, and the only reason i'm leaving the WIP is to make sure that Secondary ability doesn't give me stuff like Download or Motor Drive, in which i will either make an entirely new design, or just BS it onto this lol.

NGas reasoning: The sweet scent from the honeecomb and the maple syrup neutralizes the abilities :). This aroma is also seen in the main art

Changes: Added hole on honeecomb and aroma, shaded the thing, created a white divider thing between the honeecomb and the part behind it to make them contrast more.

I have a WIP that dragonizes the alligator bug, but I'm not sure I'll even finish it at this rate... in part because I'm captivated by the latest competition.

Sgt.Moose has soundly beaten me to the punch with a very respectable crocodilian entry.

Zephyr2007 has, in addition, delivered a lovable product that I would be glad to see join the CAP lineup.

I will have no qualms supporting either or both of these submittals in the rapidly approaching art polls.

Shadowshocker

It shall rest here in peace. Forever, if you wish.
is a Top Artistis a Smogon Media Contributor
WIP

Where do we even start with this concept? Absence aside, I genuinely did not expect "puppeteer spider using a dragon" to be a divisive idea. The initial Discord impression was that this guy might not count as Dragon enough - but following a few hand slips of supporting art it seemed to win people over. Disappointing? A little, maybe, but at this point I'm more amused than anything that I might actually be having even more fun than I had conceptualising my CAP 27 attempt. Maybe this lad doesn't do well in polls, I might be at the point where I'm enjoying the process too much to be upset.

There were a few iterations made on the dragon to push the "webbing" and "worn" motif I went for, which did mean that the dragon is less saccharine, not something I minded too much. Web shapes also form the "patches" on the dragon's hands, feet and places where traditional patchwork would have been, while a gap in the belly also forms a gash where Neutralizing Gas might spill from. Unfortunately the hat had to go. What else can I say? This might be the last of my sketch edits before this goes to outlining, colours and shading unless secondary ability poll pulls the rug under everyone's feet. The amount of supporting art the initial concept generated is on par with my CAP 27 submission and I hope everyone enjoys the scribbles I have below!

Supporting Art (or the Shadow's-going-to-have-a-field-day-colouring-all-this section)

Decutified iteration 1 - In this webbing attempt I added some spider babehs to the dragon's torn tummy. It would have served as an explanation for a few things: how the puppet moves without obvious strings on the legs, where the Neutralizing Gas might be made (produced by the brood), the dragon shape as a protector for the spiderlings, using Infestation as an anti-switching mechanism, etc. The response to this was... generally not keen, with the prevailing opinion that the babies overcomplicated the design. Torn gash it is! The original also had a hair formation similar to Gepetto's hairstyle from Disney's Pinocchio but all-round fantastic chap Falchion suggested that the spider himself have some dragon features, which I gave by altering his hair to look akin to a dragon's upper jaw, a la my fire dragon pot. The web patterns were also all over the place until Pipotchi suggested that they be toned down save for the eye and stomach.

Action Sketch - ArtinKernel asked for more dynamism, so I obliged with Gepspider having a swing at one of the things it's supposed to threaten. Kerpow!

Roadblock implementation - Gepspider manages to captivate some of the things that switch out. You just can't look away from one of Granpappy's puppet shows, kids!

An Adventure with Pajantom 1 - Pajantom is not impressed by my CAP 28 attempt.

An Adventure with Pajantom 2 - Surprise!

The original sketch - CAP 28 would have hung off the ceiling with some arms but at this point months ago I had very little idea of how the dragon puppet would look like, so here he wields a very crude marionette that many considered too artificial.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)