Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 Spe
Nature: Bold
- Substitute
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Discharge

This Magnezone set aims to take advantage of its two strongest stats: its Special Attack and Defense. The combination of Magnet Pull and Discharge allows Magnezone to take out defensive walls such as Corviknight and Skarmory. Discharge's 30% chance to paralyze opposing Pokemon pairs well with Substitute for additional chances to attack, boost with Iron Defense, or use Substitute again. Body Press is a helpful move for a number of reasons: it threatens Ferrothorn, since Hidden Power Fire no longer exists, and it devastates Blissey, a Pokemon that otherwise can easily sponge Magnezone's attacks. Additionally, while Excadrill with Special Defense investment can tank a few hits from Specs Magnezone's Flash Cannon, after just one Iron Defense boost, Body Press easily OHKOes it while also allowing Magnezone to survive an Earthquake from full health. Magnezone pairs well with physical attackers that appreciate Corviknight or Skarmory being removed, such as Rillaboom, Rhyperior, and Excadrill.

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Choice Specs Magnezone is among the most devastating offensive attackers and supporters in SS OU.
Perhaps a nitpick, but I'd specify special attackers instead of offensive attackers. Feels awkward as it is now and also that gives it a more specific group to be a part of.

Magnet Pull allows Magnezone to trap and KO bulky Steel-type walls, such as Skarmory and Corviknight, which in turn can support other offensive Pokemon, including Excadrill, Rhyperior, and Bisharp.
I think you need to include Rillaboom here, especially considering how common Rillaboom + Magnezone cores are. Perhaps including it over Bisharp would be a good idea as Bisharp sees very little usage currently.

Analytic is another ability to consider, and this especially supports Magnezone's offense when it scares out an opposing Pokemon (like Clefable, Toxapex, or Slowbro), allowing it to use Volt Switch or Teleport to keep momentum, or Flash Cannon in case of an Electric-resistant or -immune Pokemon.
I would not mention Teleport here and instead mention using moves like Volt Switch or Flash Cannon for even more damage output, emphasizing the importance of Analytic as ability while highlighting the merits of these moves at the same time.

Body Press is a valuable option on this set as well, designed to slam Excadrill and threaten Blissey.
This is good, but I'd move the mention of Teleport to right before or after this sentence and say something along the lines of "Teleport is good to use when you are not sure about what specifically to predict when they have a Ground type like Gastrodon, giving you a chance to gain momentum without risking clicking the wrong attack".

Lastly, Specs Magnezone pairs well with U-Turn Pokemon, such as Corviknight or Rillaboom, to form the famed VoltTurn core to consistently maintain pressure against opposing teams.
Since you mention Rillaboom above, this gives you a chance to mention Dragapult or Mandibuzz over Rillaboom here, which are both common teammates of Rillaboom.

This is solid, just these few changes. 1/1 with this

Iguana

formerly mc56556
Hello! The OU QC team has decided to change this Facebook Spotlight Analysis set from the Choice Specs to Substitute/Iron Defense set. I will be rewriting this today, but I didn't want the QC check that Finchinator kindly did to go unnoticed or to be without context here. Tagging Estronic and Rabia to make sure everyone's aware, even though I know Jordy is reaching out to you both. Thanks!

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Body Press is a helpful move for a number of reasons: it devastates Blissey, a Pokemon that otherwise can easily sponge Magnezone's attacks (an unboosted Body Press has about a 25% chance to 2HKO Blissey from full).
The biggest reason for Body Press is to trap Ferrothorn, which you cannot trap with special attacks due to the lack of Hidden Power Fire. I think this should be included first and foremost here. I would elaborate a bit less on the Excadrill and Blissey points while including the Ferrothorn point.

Rest looks great and you have ideal teammates listed at the end. 1/1 with the quick fix

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
add remove (comments)
Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 Spe
Nature: Bold
- Substitute
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Discharge

This Magnezone set aims to take advantage of Magnezone's its two strongest stats: its Special Attack and Defense. Discharge slams bulky Steel-and-Flying types, Corviknight and Skarmory, which Magnet Pull trap. The combination of Magnet Trap and Discharge allows Magnezone to take out defensive threats such as Corviknight and Skarmory. (had to change this a bit due it reading a bit awkwardly) Discharge's 30% chance to paralyze opposing Pokemon pairs well with Substitute for additional chances to attack, boost with Iron Defense, or use Substitute again. Body Press is a helpful move for a number of reasons: it threatens a trapped (i would think this is implied tbh) Ferrothorn, the next best option since Hidden Power Fire no longer exists, along with devastating Blissey, a Pokemon that otherwise can easily sponge Magnezone's attacks. Additionally, while SpD-boosted (if this is referring to its investment change it to like "an Excadrill with Special Defense investment, if not lmk on discord and we can figure it out) Excadrill can tank a few hits from Specs Magnezone's Flash Cannon, after just one Iron Defense boost, Body Press easily OHKOes it while also allowing Magnezone to survive an Earthquake from full health. Magnezone pairs well with physical attackers that appreciate Corviknight or Skarmory being removed, such as Rillaboom, Rhyperior, and Excadrill.
1/1 :blobthumbsup:
no stamp cuz at school :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)