Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Submission

Nitropod

From "nitroglycerin," a bomb component, and arthropod, the beetle's phylum

Pronounced: NAY-tro-pod

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Buzzooka

"buzz" + "bazooka"

Pronounced: "buh-ZOO-kuh"
IPA: bʌzzukə

I haven't really had the time to work on names, so I'll be submitting this for now!

Edit: Amamama proposed "Buzzooka" in Discord, which I liked a lot--better than the name I wanted to submit. I asked if I could submit the name (as he was submitting "Buzzillade" instead), and he consigned. "Buzzooka" will count as WIP 3/3.

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Murculach

corruption of Murk + Hercules + corruption of Latch

Pronounced: mer-kyu-LATCH

Wanted to draw a comparison to hercules stag beetles given the jaws. Latch spices up the last syllable (scans more nicely without the t) and references both the large jaws and the crosshair-like design of the eyes. Main concern is that the Hercules root doesn't shine through all that well but I'm pleased with the mythical Orcish-sounding construction of the name :)

Final Submission

Elydron

Elytron (a beetle's hardened forewing) + Dr[ag]on

Pronounced: EH-li-drawn
IPA: ˈɛlɪdɹɒn

Last edited:

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Bombardon

Bombardier (beetle) + Iguanodon (dinosaur)

Pronounced: buhm-BAHR-dahn

Final Submission

Carabdomen

carabidae (bombardier beetle family) + abdomen (CAP 28's most pronounced feature)

Pronounced: kuh-RAB-duh-muhn
IPA: / kə 'ræb də mən /

I'm still not 100% sure on the name, but I'd say I like it better than carabtillery and flying moose thought it was alright, so I'm going for it. As I said in my other post, there are a ton of good name ideas in here so I'm sure CAP 28 will have a solid one no matter what. Good luck everybody!

Last edited:
Final Submission

Brachvara

Brachinini + Varanus

Pronounced: Brach-VA-ra

Brachinini is the tribe that the Bombardier beetle is in, while Varanus is the genus for monitor lizards like the Komodo Dragon.

Final Submission

Carbozoa

A combination of "carbon" and the suffix "zoa."

Pronounced: "carbo-zoa"
IPA: kɑrboʊzoʊa

The carbon is a nod to the Carboniferous period of earth when insects were at their largest size due to the amount of atmospheric oxygen at the time.

Last edited:
Final Submission

Buzzillade

Buzz+zilla+Fusillade

Pronounced: BUHZ-zi-leid

The Name started out as Buzzilisk with Buzz for the sound that is associated with all winged insects and basilisk for the dragon part, but that didn’t feel fitting, since it’s not the right type of of dragon.
Buzzilla looked cool especially since the tail jaw evokes the look of Godzilla, but it also veers to close to its name, so adding Fussilade as a underlying theme which somewhat fits the design resembling an AAG was a good fix.

Last edited:

dex

10 wolf, 3 shepherd, 1 sheep, led leopard
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Nitrodier

A combination of "Nitrogen" and "Bombardier"

Pronounced: NI-truhdeer
IPA: naitrədir

Combining Nitrogen, which is considered to be a very dangerous and noxious gas in a vacuum, and Bombardier from the bombardier beetle used as the basis for CAP28's design. Additionally, the term Nitro seems fitting given CAP28's awesome offenses.

Final Submission

Boufferocious

From French boufee de (to puff on a cigarette, drag on in English), ferocious, and noxious

Pronunciation: BOW-ferocious

This was actually a complete coincidence, since I didn't know the term drag on even existed. Strange, isn't it?

Shadowshocker

It shall rest here in peace. Forever, if you wish.
is a Top Artistis a Smogon Media Contributor
Final Submission

Stingshot

Sting + Slingshot, combining a weapon, and the offensive part of an insect.

Pronounced: STING-shot

Honestly this has not been the most fun of names to generate, with bugs, dragons, chemicals and weapons all getting thrown into the mess. Stingshot seems to have gone over the best and is, at least, the easiest to say from all the things I've come up with.

Last edited:
Final Submission

Jawkroach

'Jaw' + 'cockroach' - Playing off the roach-esque design and prominent mandible.

Pronounced: jock - ROACH

Final Submission

Benzoridon

Etymology is based on a drug group called "Benzos"-which are used to treat anxiety. The effect of it is said to have hypnotic/sedative properties, similar to how Neutralizing Gas would negate abilities.

Pronounced: BEN-zori-don

Final Submission

Dracarabus

Draconic+Carabidae (the family that bombardier beetles belong to)+Arquebus (a type of large flintlock musket)

Pronounced: Drack-AIR-ah-buss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)