Project Player of the Week: Karnisbroke

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
some follow ups for DaWoblefet
What is the most interesting quirk you have come across in your research?
Probably the coolest thing I ever came across in my research is that Sky Drop can actually delay the "first turn" counted for Fake Out, letting you use Fake Out on what most players wouldn't consider to be its first turn out.

some follow ups for DaWoblefet
As the DUbers TL, Do you have any plans to help grow the meta? Its more popular than DUU on the ladder but far less popular amongst us tourny bros, so it seems like there is opportunity for it to grow. Maybe a forum tour after DLC?
Do you think DLC will have a big impact on the DUbers, any mons in particular that interest you in the next drop for DUbers?
DUbers right now basically hasn't been touched because it's honestly not very fun. Dynamaxing Weakness Policy Dusk Mane Necrozma / Magearna etc just isn't exciting after a while, and even most of our regular ladder players think that. I think DLC will be very, very helpful in this regard because of the sheer number of legendaries we get back in the game, significantly improving the number of good legendary Pokemon available again. A big question mark right now is whether or not we'll get the Primals back - there's no mention of them in trailers so far, and you can't have Mega Rayquaza alongside them. I expect enthusiasm among the regular ladder players to increase by a lot once we get Crown Tundra DLC.

I also do intend to host a DUbers tournament on Smogon. I'll have to see how the timing lines up with regular circuit events.

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor

Interview 5 - YoBuddy

Most of the readers know who you are by now, but could you introduce yourself by telling a little bit about yourself?
I’m YoBuddy, a 23 year old Australian DOU player finishing off my Chemistry/History degree during quarantine.

What are your hobbies outside of playing Pokemon? What do you like to do in your free time?
I play a lot of video games, especially during quarantine. Minecraft is my favourite game but I also play some Smash Ultimate, Mario Maker 2 and Terraria fairly regularly.

What does your username mean and why did you choose it?
It’s a pretty silly and surprisingly complicated story. As most of us I didn’t really expect to stick around Showdown as long as I have. When I first joined Showdown in 2015 I used usernames that I had used for other games/websites. I never saved or remembered the passwords to those accounts because I never thought I would care enough to use them for long. One thing I liked about Showdown was being able to quickly and easily change your avatar, so I often named my alts after whatever avatar I was using at the time. Online games, especially competitive ones, have a reputation for developing toxic behaviour within their communities. I wanted to pick something nice and friendly as a username to contrast with this. In the end I went with ‘YoBuddy’ partially because of the character limit. Being a ladder player I made a lot of different alts to climb the ladder from a fresh account on a regular basis. I think the original ‘YoBuddyThe…’ account was ‘YoBuddyTheChampion’ that I made in 2016 because I was using Cynthia/Steven as my avatar at the time. For reference my main, YoBuddyTheBaker, was made in November 2018, less than 2 months before I joined the Smogon forums. I’m not sure how many YoBuddys there are but I think it’s at least 15+ (including ‘YoBuddyTheStripper’, which I think is owned by Z Strats or Yoda2798 ).The main reason I kept using the Baker account was I happened to be logged in to that one when the roomtour leader board was reset and I reached the #1 spot early on. At this point I’ve been using the Baker account too long to switch to something else permanently.

How did you find smogon doubles and why did you choose to stick around
I first joined Showdown in 2015 and I gravitated to doubles quite quickly. Entry hazards, lots of switching and stall/defensive Pokemon made singles feel quite different to battling in the main campaign in the mainline Pokemon games. Doubles, especially at a low level, felt a lot more familiar to me where both teams would trade damage over the course of a match. I laddered until late 2018 when the DOU room reset the roomtour leader board. I was mostly a lurker in the room until then and I had a decent amount of success playing roomtours and someone suggested that I should join the upcoming Winter Seasonal. My first game was against talkingtree and ~25 people spectated the set, which I believe remains the most viewers I’ve ever had in one of my games. I was so nervous that the first match took nearly 30 minutes, Tree didn’t put the timer on. Somehow I won the set and figured that I may as well see how far I can go.

As of now you are in finals of DUU seasonal. How do you like DUU compared to DOU
Honestly, I mostly play DUU to spam Dracozolt. I started using it on the first day SWSH was added to showdown and I unironically believe that it was as good as Dracovish in the pre-Home meta, so I’m pretty attached to it. As for DUU I’ve only played the occasional roomtour and this tournament so I can’t really say that I’ve played enough of it to have any interesting or meaningful opinions on it.

Which mons are you most looking forward to post-DLC and which do you think will have the biggest immediate impact on DOU?
I think Tapu Fini will be the most interesting as to how good it ends up being. On paper it only got Flip Turn in SWSH while the other Tapus got broken moves and it gets hurt the most by the pinch berry nerf. On the other hand all the Tapus need their terrain more than they used to because Grassy Glide, Expanding Force and Rising Voltage are all weaker than Wood Hammer, Psychic and Thunderbolt respectively so Tapu Fini might still be excellent, especially considering Flip Turn will be excellent for terrain control.

Diancie sounds super scary on paper with Body Press. Back in the Melmetal meta I was doing some calcs and found that +4 Diancie beats AV Melmetal 1v1. Obviously getting Diancie to +4 at full HP will be a challenge but there will be some instances where Diancie wins an endgame that it has no right to win. Baton Pass is also an interesting move that Diancie could run. I doubt it will have the room to carry it regularly but it would be a funny tech that could win the occasional game when combined with Weakness Policy.

How do you think the council should handle banned mons following DLC?
Probably just unban everything except maybe Jirachi, Marshadow and Dynamax. A lot of what is returning seems on par with the new Dubers in SWSH. What to do about Dynamax is going to be a more difficult question. I Voted to ban Weakness Policy rather than Dynamax but I wouldn’t be thrilled about the prospect of Dynamax returning to be honest.

Is there anyone you look up to as a player?
I tend to just do my own thing rather than try to do what someone else is doing. Obviously I respect the top players in the community and their skillsets but I don’t necessarily look to specific players to copy what they do.

Could you give us a team that resembles your playing and building style and your thought process behind it? (gen and meta of your choice)
Typically in terms of building I like to use somewhat standard stuff with a surprise twist or niche UR mon to give me an edge. When I started playing I accepted that my opponents would probably be equally skilled or better than me as a player, so I felt I needed an edge at the team building stage. In SM I liked to build teams to specifically beat my individual opponents. For some important matches I literally played against myself using my team against theirs to try to better understand potential matchups and to memorise what to do in the first few turns to give me a winning position. It’s much harder to do that in SWSH where the metagame keeps changing with new additions or bans so I’ve used more standard stuff this gen. My Blissey team I used in Invitationals last year was one of my favourites. The first version of it got 6-0’d by Memoric in Live Challenge playoffs but I wanted to be bold with my team choices throughout Invitationals, so I revamped it and it managed to score wins against stax and Yoda. I’ve already posted my thoughts about it on the SM team bazaar thread

Since I’ve already talked about that one I’ll post the team I brought to 5 of my 6 games against Ezrael in Winter Seasonal finals.

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Friend Guard
Level: 97
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Follow Me
- Heal Pulse
- After You
- Knock Off

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 160 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Necrozma @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Earth Power
- Trick Room
- Protect

Incineroar @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 208 SpD / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot
- Will-O-Wisp

Melmetal @ Lum Berry
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Double Iron Bash
- High Horsepower
- Thunder Punch
- Protect
Going into this set I knew I needed something rock solid. Ezrael is skilled enough that I didn’t expect him to fall victim to something silly like I did with Blissey in SM. I had a bunch of other decent teams at the time but I felt they all had some flaw that could be exploited. Dynamax was legal at the time and the main reason people felt setup wasn’t broken with it was that you often had to take damage to boost before Dynamaxing, which significantly limits how bulky you are once you max. Clefairy was designed to solve this problem. The combination of Friend Guard and Follow Me ensured that Rotom-Wash got to +2 with as much health as possible so I could click +2 Max moves freely. Clefairy was Level 97 because it would be guaranteed to be slower than Melmetal and had After You so I could set Trick Room with Necrozma against a Melmetal team without much worry. Knock Off ensured that I wouldn’t be forced to Struggle by Taunt Gothitelle and could proc Necrozma’s Weakness Policy. Prism Armor + Friend Guard keeps Necrozma safe from most super effective hits, even without Dynamax, so it can proc it’s Weakness Policy often.

Do you have any advice for players that are new to the tier?
It depends on how new. If you’ve barely touched the tier use sample teams/teams used by the top players. When I was starting out once I tried using sample teams and teams from the team bazaar thread I started getting better results very quickly. If you have a bit more experience start joining tournaments. I probably improved more across 2019 than I did in 2016-2018 because I joined all the DOU circuit tournaments, playing against the best players really helps fast track your development.

What do you like about Smogon Doubles and what would you like to see changed?
I like that the community can shape the metagame with suspect tests and bans. I think post-Gengar SM was a fun and balanced metagame and I think that most of the bans contributed to a better metagame in the long run. Having mythicals and bad box legends DOU legal is another cool aspect, especially the likes of Diancie in DOU and Magearna and Jirachi in Dubers that have attributes unique to doubles.

In terms of what I want to see differently I mostly wish that Smogon doubles was more popular. I find doubles much more fun to play than singles and it’s a little sad to see the DUU tournament only have 16 players get to play while singles is running out of words to put in front of ‘used’ for their tiers. We are always going to struggle competing with VGC so I don’t really know what we can do about this, unless there is a millionaire willing to sponsor DOU tournaments or something.

Is there anything you would like to add to the interview?
I’d like to thank you for interviewing me and some of the people that have helped me along the way. Firstly n1n1, you were important in getting me into the doubles community and you always backed me up, advocating for me to get drafted in SPL XI. n10sit drafted me in DPL5 after my only result was a top 32 seasonal finish. I lost all my DPL5 games but I was able to steal enough oldgen teams from Level 51 to make Grand Prix playoffs, so I guess it was a success.

sawamura

Banned deucer.
YoBuddy definitely you are an excellent player. I remember when we played in a season this same year where some Matches were too fun and exciting, where you were victorious 2-0 G1 Winter Ssnl G2 Winter Ssnl when I was still using the Zikam alternative and the only problem for both of us was the Time Zone because you +15. had more problems due to your time zone with other players? How does it feel to have to settle down with that time that is sometimes so complicated?

YoBuddy definitely you are an excellent player. I remember when we played in a season this same year where some Matches were too fun and exciting, where you were victorious 2-0 G1 Winter Ssnl G2 Winter Ssnl when I was still using the Zikam alternative and the only problem for both of us was the Time Zone because you +15. had more problems due to your time zone with other players? How does it feel to have to settle down with that time that is sometimes so complicated?
Time zones aren't typically that bad. People usually have some time in the morning and at night. A lot of the time playing Americans it's night time for them and the next morning for me so I have to make sure I specify what day each of us are playing on. My worst scheduling issue actually came from someone with only a 2 hour time difference. The person arrived 2 hours late, presumably because they confused the time I was supposed to show up with the time they were supposed to show up. I didn't say anything because I just wanted to finish the game and go to bed so I don't think they ever realised they were even late in the first place.

Chemistry+History seems like a very uncommon combination, what do you want to pursue after graduation?

What is the most interesting time in history you enjoy learning about and why?

What food from Australia do you like that foreigners do not know about and should try?
My favourite subjects in high school were Chemistry and History so I continued on with them at university. I've since realised I probably liked my History teachers more than the subject itself. I still like History but I was glad once I finished my last History classes. At this point I'll probably just take any opportunity that I can get post-Covid. Part of why I picked two different areas of study was to keep my options open, so hopefully that helps.

At least from my classes I've mostly preferred American history. People make fun of American patriotism but all my American lecturers have been so much more passionate about the subject than other lecturers, no matter what the era. The only lecture that I have ever attended that received applause was an American history lecture. I don't remember too much of the content to be honest but it was quite the performance.

Perhaps not the kind of answer you would expect but fairy bread is pretty cool. It's basically just bread and butter with sprinkles on top. It's typically served at kids parties so it's nostalgic for lots of people who grew up in Australia.

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor

Interview 6 - Tenzai

Most of the readers know who you are by now, but could you introduce yourself by telling a little bit about yourself?
Hey everyone!! My name is Nicolas, also known as Tenzai. I live south Spain, in Andalucia. I´m studying Children´s Pedagogy.

What are your hobbies outside of playing Pokemon? What do you like to do in your free time?
I enjoy a lot of things, but mainly playing futbol, table games and videogames; reading mang and watching anime.

I chose this nick for 3 reasons. First one is because of the manga Slam Dunk, I admired his MC and he always said: “I´m a tenzai”.

Second one, I have always had self esteem issues. When I started in smogon I thought I wanna change that part of myself, that´s why I put Tenzai as my nick, which means genious in japanese, as a way to stop thinking abou that issues.

And the last one was kinda of a tribute to Slam Dunk to help me in the process to improve my self esteem.

How did you find Smogon doubles and why did you choose to stick around?
Actually I was forced to learn the tier, when I played a team tour for the first time, I want to be part of Joya´s team. I was gonna play ORAS but it happens that they didn't draft any vgc player and since I had some experience in that tier, I offer myself to play it. I did a great tour and people started to see me as a great doubles player, which I hated because I was a singles player. The next tour the history repeated itself, although that time was DOU instead of vgc. I once again did a great tour, and since that I was established as a doubles player so I just kept playing the tier although I hated at the beginning.

How has your experience in Snake been so far?
Pretty surprised ngl, I have been in other team tours but never saw the level of dedication and the effort that my teammates of the Bakers are putting in the tour. You can feel how people take it seriously and you definitely want to do the same.

I´m also really happy with Memoric , I think we make a great team and I love building for him. Although ngl… I would like to play at least a week :tympole:

What do you enjoy or not enjoy about gen8 compared to gen7?
In my opinion, gen8 is way more fun that gen7. USUM was a more competitive tier but it was pretty boring and straightforward.

Which mons are you most looking forward to post-DLC and which do you think will have the biggest immediate impact on DOU?
To be honest, I´m expecting nothing for this second DLC, I´m scared of what the tier is gonna become. Lele is probably the most expected mon, I dont even want to think how good is gonna be psyspam now with her.

The player I admired the most is probably SMB , he has always been a modelic player.

Could you give us a team that resembles your playing and building style and your thought process behind it? (gen and meta of your choice)

Weezing-Galar @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 140 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Strange Steam
- Protect

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 92 Def / 120 SpD / 40 Spe
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 240 HP / 140 Atk / 44 Def / 44 SpD / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- High Horsepower
- U-turn
- Fake Out

Hawlucha @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Dragapult @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Protect

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Aqua Jet
I built this team for w1 of Snake, where Memo had to face Frania.

Since it was the beginning and we had such few scout from him, Memo said that we had to play a solid team. Rilla, Inci and Galar Weez was a really solid core back then to start with, it can face almost the whole meta easily, from balanced and offense to sun teams. I completed the team with Hawlucha since he can beat well some of the mons that Frania had in his scout such as Chansey, Excadrill, Kommo-o, Ttar and some bulky grass mons. Dragapult deals with psychic mons such as Mew or Necrozma, who can annoy Hawlucha. Urshi complete the team thanks to his raw power in order to chip the opp´s team and help Haw win easily.

The general idea is to get some damage on most of the opps team so Haw can win the late game. You can pivot around the defensive core and try to send Urshi and Draga in a favorable position so they can punch some holes on the opps team.

I think this is a nice community and the tier is really cool. If I had to change something is the fact that hispanic people are a bit separated from the rest due to language communication, I would love to improve that.

What advice would you give players to improve and be competitive in circuit tournaments?
I think the best advice I can give to someone is that he must learn the meta he is playing. No matter your skill level, if you know the meta perfectly you are gonna improve, you will take better predictions during a match because you know how your mons and your opp mons work. Also your building process will improve.

It helps a lot to watch carefully replays from great tours and understand why they do the plays they did.

I would thank you for this interview. Also I would like the people who are always there cheering and supporting me, my buddies Ranshiin, xJoelituh, Night, daunt vs , Sinkyr, EriDBst and @Klaymore. And specially Voltix and DLT JRL BELL , which I consider my best friends.

sawamura

Banned deucer.

Interview 6 - Tenzai

Hey everyone!! My name is Nicolas, also known as Tenzai. I live south Spain, in Andalucia. I´m studying Children´s Pedagogy.

I enjoy a lot of things, but mainly playing futbol, table games and videogames; reading mang and watching anime.

I chose this nick for 3 reasons. First one is because of the manga Slam Dunk, I admired his MC and he always said: “I´m a tenzai”.

Second one, I have always had self esteem issues. When I started in smogon I thought I wanna change that part of myself, that´s why I put Tenzai as my nick, which means genious in japanese, as a way to stop thinking abou that issues.

And the last one was kinda of a tribute to Slam Dunk to help me in the process to improve my self esteem.

How did you find Smogon doubles and why did you choose to stick around?
Actually I was forced to learn the tier, when I played a team tour for the first time, I want to be part of Joya´s team. I was gonna play ORAS but it happens that they didn't draft any vgc player and since I had some experience in that tier, I offer myself to play it. I did a great tour and people started to see me as a great doubles player, which I hated because I was a singles player. The next tour the history repeated itself, although that time was DOU instead of vgc. I once again did a great tour, and since that I was established as a doubles player so I just kept playing the tier although I hated at the beginning.

How has your experience in Snake been so far?
Pretty surprised ngl, I have been in other team tours but never saw the level of dedication and the effort that my teammates of the Bakers are putting in the tour. You can feel how people take it seriously and you definitely want to do the same.

I´m also really happy with Memoric , I think we make a great team and I love building for him. Although ngl… I would like to play at least a week :tympole:

What do you enjoy or not enjoy about gen8 compared to gen7?
In my opinion, gen8 is way more fun that gen7. USUM was a more competitive tier but it was pretty boring and straightforward.

To be honest, I´m expecting nothing for this second DLC, I´m scared of what the tier is gonna become. Lele is probably the most expected mon, I dont even want to think how good is gonna be psyspam now with her.

The player I admired the most is probably SMB , he has always been a modelic player.

Weezing-Galar @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 140 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Strange Steam
- Protect

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 92 Def / 120 SpD / 40 Spe
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 240 HP / 140 Atk / 44 Def / 44 SpD / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- High Horsepower
- U-turn
- Fake Out

Hawlucha @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Dragapult @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Protect

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Aqua Jet
I built this team for w1 of Snake, where Memo had to face Frania.

Since it was the beginning and we had such few scout from him, Memo said that we had to play a solid team. Rilla, Inci and Galar Weez was a really solid core back then to start with, it can face almost the whole meta easily, from balanced and offense to sun teams. I completed the team with Hawlucha since he can beat well some of the mons that Frania had in his scout such as Chansey, Excadrill, Kommo-o, Ttar and some bulky grass mons. Dragapult deals with psychic mons such as Mew or Necrozma, who can annoy Hawlucha. Urshi complete the team thanks to his raw power in order to chip the opp´s team and help Haw win easily.

The general idea is to get some damage on most of the opps team so Haw can win the late game. You can pivot around the defensive core and try to send Urshi and Draga in a favorable position so they can punch some holes on the opps team.

I think this is a nice community and the tier is really cool. If I had to change something is the fact that hispanic people are a bit separated from the rest due to language communication, I would love to improve that.

What advice would you give players to improve and be competitive in circuit tournaments?
I think the best advice I can give to someone is that he must learn the meta he is playing. No matter your skill level, if you know the meta perfectly you are gonna improve, you will take better predictions during a match because you know how your mons and your opp mons work. Also your building process will improve.

It helps a lot to watch carefully replays from great tours and understand why they do the plays they did.

I would thank you for this interview. Also I would like the people who are always there cheering and supporting me, my buddies Ranshiin, xJoelituh, Night, daunt vs , Sinkyr, EriDBst and @Klaymore. And specially Voltix and DLT JRL BELL , which I consider my best friends.
We know each other very well, the truth is that we have had fun games and I liked very much that they placed you as player of the week. But my question is the following. What has been your worst year of being at your best competitively?

when are you evolving into Elevenzai
Rigth now lol
11.PNG

We know each other very well, the truth is that we have had fun games and I liked very much that they placed you as player of the week. But my question is the following. What has been your worst year of being at your best competitively?
The first months of this year were very bad for me, more or less until the DLT. And I almost stopped competing.

Puedes jugar dou para pamd?
No, yo juego ru

Hi Tenzai! Do you feel it’s hard to interact with the Doubles community when English isn’t your first language? What do you think the community can do to help solve this issue?
Hi Gogoat ^^. Yes, I have a hard time interacting with the DOU and Smogon community.

A solution could be that someone on the council is Hispanic or understands Spanish well, and that the forum users can write their ideas in Spanish and this person from the council transmit their ideas to the community.

can you give your preliminary DOU WCoP power rankings?
Sure

1. US Central
2. Canada
3. Mediterranean
4. Asia
5. US East
6. US West
7. Europe
8. LATAM

I don't know all the players from each region that are In, so this ranking could change when the official teams come out.

Por que nadie me dijo que tuviste una interview????? l0l
Combate mas interesante/dificil que has jugado hasta ahora?
Creo que sería la serie que tuve vs Umbry en el último SSNL, cuando jugamos para Top 4. Me acuerdo que cuando estaba jugando esa serie estaba muy perdido, no sabía por donde iba a salir Umbry, no tenía ni idea que plays hacer y jugando eso lo pasé bastante mal, la verdad.

Y fuera de eso no sabría decirte algún combate que fuera muy closed y que no se decidiera por hax

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor

Interview 7 - The_Bandit

I think a lot of the readers may not know who you are, but could you introduce yourself by telling a little bit about yourself?
I’m 25 and I’ve lived in Atlanta, Georgia, USA my entire life. I went to college at the University of Georgia, and I’m working as an actuary, which means I copy and paste stuff in Excel for insurance companies. I’m currently living in an apartment with my girlfriend of like 5 years, so I’m probably gonna tie that knot soon. We’ve also got a dog that is easily the best part of our lives.

I’m a huge sports guy, probably the biggest NBA nerd you’ll ever meet. I’m also a diehard UGA college football fan, so on Saturdays in the fall you can find me drunkenly barking at children.
I played basketball in high school, and I still play a lot of pick up, but Covid-19 has put an end to that for the last ~7 months. Other than that I enjoy working out, taking my dog for walks, and trying out new restaurants. Oh I also spend a lot of time studying for actuarial exams, which I don’t enjoy.

Actuarily cause I’m an Actuary. I’m not very clever. Although when I created the name, I wasn’t an actuary yet, so I guess it was kinda a “speak it into existence” kind of mentality.
“The_Bandit” has long been a name I’ve used for video games and so while I’ve laddered I’ve used names like “the3rdbandit” and “the5thbandit” for new teams to see where I could go.

How did you find smogon doubles and why did you choose to stick around?
I first played on some older version of Pokémon showdown, I think it was called shoddy showdown or something. Then I changed over to PS, and I’ve gone through phases of playing and not playing over the years. I really got into Doubles in gen 7, first through randbats and then eventually creating my own teams, and now it’s to the point I can’t play singles because it’s just too boring compared to doubles.
I was a ladder hero all through gen 7, but I did pay attention to the forums for stuff like the VR rankings and to see council decisions on bans. I’ll admit I was kinda a noob and never joined any chats on PS, and was just a lurker on forums. I stopped playing when gen 8 hit cause I thought dynamax was dumb. Then I saw DOU banned dynamax, and combining that with when Covid-19 hit, it caused me to spend a lot more time on PS. So I figured I should create an account on forums and start getting involved more, which is the best decision I’ve made. I really encourage any other lurkers to sign up and get more involved, the tournaments and the personalities really make it a ton more fun.

Which Crown Tundra mons are you most looking forward to using and which do you think will have the biggest immediate impact on DOU?
100% I’m most looking forward to having Suicune back. That bulk, distributing scald burns, speed control from tailwind, snarl, and phazing set up sweepers/TR users, all while ignoring FO made it my absolute favorite mon in gen 7. It’ll be interesting to see how well it does this gen since it doesn’t have a great matchup vs grassy or electric terrain, which will be even more prominent this new meta.

I’m going to assume Marshadow, Melmetal, and Jirachi all get banned in the first week. So I’m going to say Diancie is the gonna have the biggest impact. With body press, it’ll be an absolute force with proper speed control. It can be used with an AV, or as a bulky setter, or as the main attacker on TR.

But I’ll be the first to admit I don’t have a crystal ball, so this prediction will likely be very wrong.

Which of the previously banned mons or moves are you hoping gets re-banned or stays un-banned?
Volcarona will stay, it should have never been banned to begin with IMO. Urshifu SS will probably stay since there’s a bunch of fairies/flying types coming. I suspect Kyurem-b will stay too. We all know Jirachi is gonna get the banhammer, and Marshadow will too. The ones to watch will be Genesect and Melmetal. From the calcs I’ve seen, Melmetal should get banned, and genesect will just fit right in as a Scizor with way more coverage.

For a new player to DOU you have done rather well in circuits so far. What do you attribute to quickly excelling in the meta-game and what would you suggest to new players?
Uhh Covid helped cause it gave me a lot more free time. I don’t think I’ve done well so far, we’ll have to see what I can do in the DLT.. but the competition in that tournament is fierce, so I’d be happy if I made it past a round or two. For ssnl I just wish I had signed up in the beginning so I didn’t start in the loser’s bracket, but then again I probably would have gotten bounced to the loser’s bracket after a few rounds anyway. Ended up going out to a terrific player in Yoda who in G3 basically beat me turn 1. I’m also excited for the WCOP, I’ve never done a team tournament before - and I’ve exclusively used my own builds so far, so it’ll be nice to pick someone else’s brain for ideas, and to have someone tell me to quit trying to make psyspam work.

To new players: Use the sample teams and VRs, and when you find a Pokémon/team archetype/combo that you think is really effective, try to build your own team around it. Really focus on what Pokémon in the meta stop your core, and find Pokémon that plug your holes. Also sign up for tournaments, it’s a lot of fun.

To experienced players: Stop using the VRs and sample teams. You’re good enough to build your own, I promise.

Thanks for doing this N1N1, a lot of people appreciate the effort you put into this!

sawamura

Banned deucer.

Interview 7 - The_Bandit

I think a lot of the readers may not know who you are, but could you introduce yourself by telling a little bit about yourself?
I’m 25 and I’ve lived in Atlanta, Georgia, USA my entire life. I went to college at the University of Georgia, and I’m working as an actuary, which means I copy and paste stuff in Excel for insurance companies. I’m currently living in an apartment with my girlfriend of like 5 years, so I’m probably gonna tie that knot soon. We’ve also got a dog that is easily the best part of our lives.

I’m a huge sports guy, probably the biggest NBA nerd you’ll ever meet. I’m also a diehard UGA college football fan, so on Saturdays in the fall you can find me drunkenly barking at children.
I played basketball in high school, and I still play a lot of pick up, but Covid-19 has put an end to that for the last ~7 months. Other than that I enjoy working out, taking my dog for walks, and trying out new restaurants. Oh I also spend a lot of time studying for actuarial exams, which I don’t enjoy.

Actuarily cause I’m an Actuary. I’m not very clever. Although when I created the name, I wasn’t an actuary yet, so I guess it was kinda a “speak it into existence” kind of mentality.
“The_Bandit” has long been a name I’ve used for video games and so while I’ve laddered I’ve used names like “the3rdbandit” and “the5thbandit” for new teams to see where I could go.

How did you find smogon doubles and why did you choose to stick around?
I first played on some older version of Pokémon showdown, I think it was called shoddy showdown or something. Then I changed over to PS, and I’ve gone through phases of playing and not playing over the years. I really got into Doubles in gen 7, first through randbats and then eventually creating my own teams, and now it’s to the point I can’t play singles because it’s just too boring compared to doubles.
I was a ladder hero all through gen 7, but I did pay attention to the forums for stuff like the VR rankings and to see council decisions on bans. I’ll admit I was kinda a noob and never joined any chats on PS, and was just a lurker on forums. I stopped playing when gen 8 hit cause I thought dynamax was dumb. Then I saw DOU banned dynamax, and combining that with when Covid-19 hit, it caused me to spend a lot more time on PS. So I figured I should create an account on forums and start getting involved more, which is the best decision I’ve made. I really encourage any other lurkers to sign up and get more involved, the tournaments and the personalities really make it a ton more fun.

Which Crown Tundra mons are you most looking forward to using and which do you think will have the biggest immediate impact on DOU?
100% I’m most looking forward to having Suicune back. That bulk, distributing scald burns, speed control from tailwind, snarl, and phazing set up sweepers/TR users, all while ignoring FO made it my absolute favorite mon in gen 7. It’ll be interesting to see how well it does this gen since it doesn’t have a great matchup vs grassy or electric terrain, which will be even more prominent this new meta.

I’m going to assume Marshadow, Melmetal, and Jirachi all get banned in the first week. So I’m going to say Diancie is the gonna have the biggest impact. With body press, it’ll be an absolute force with proper speed control. It can be used with an AV, or as a bulky setter, or as the main attacker on TR.

But I’ll be the first to admit I don’t have a crystal ball, so this prediction will likely be very wrong.

Which of the previously banned mons or moves are you hoping gets re-banned or stays un-banned?
Volcarona will stay, it should have never been banned to begin with IMO. Urshifu SS will probably stay since there’s a bunch of fairies/flying types coming. I suspect Kyurem-b will stay too. We all know Jirachi is gonna get the banhammer, and Marshadow will too. The ones to watch will be Genesect and Melmetal. From the calcs I’ve seen, Melmetal should get banned, and genesect will just fit right in as a Scizor with way more coverage.

For a new player to DOU you have done rather well in circuits so far. What do you attribute to quickly excelling in the meta-game and what would you suggest to new players?
Uhh Covid helped cause it gave me a lot more free time. I don’t think I’ve done well so far, we’ll have to see what I can do in the DLT.. but the competition in that tournament is fierce, so I’d be happy if I made it past a round or two. For ssnl I just wish I had signed up in the beginning so I didn’t start in the loser’s bracket, but then again I probably would have gotten bounced to the loser’s bracket after a few rounds anyway. Ended up going out to a terrific player in Yoda who in G3 basically beat me turn 1. I’m also excited for the WCOP, I’ve never done a team tournament before - and I’ve exclusively used my own builds so far, so it’ll be nice to pick someone else’s brain for ideas, and to have someone tell me to quit trying to make psyspam work.

To new players: Use the sample teams and VRs, and when you find a Pokémon/team archetype/combo that you think is really effective, try to build your own team around it. Really focus on what Pokémon in the meta stop your core, and find Pokémon that plug your holes. Also sign up for tournaments, it’s a lot of fun.

To experienced players: Stop using the VRs and sample teams. You’re good enough to build your own, I promise.

Thanks for doing this N1N1, a lot of people appreciate the effort you put into this!
Hey dude congratulations. Seeing this I was Excited and i have dedicated myself to see how you have evolved the truth. I watched you in Gen7 as a hero ladder because I was also playing a lot of time in the ladder and it is comforting to see how players grow in this way. What has been the mon that has given you the most trouble on the ladder? or the most annoying style of play when facing to he?

Hey dude congratulations. Seeing this I was Excited and i have dedicated myself to see how you have evolved the truth. I watched you in Gen7 as a hero ladder because I was also playing a lot of time in the ladder and it is comforting to see how players grow in this way. What has been the mon that has given you the most trouble on the ladder? or the most annoying style of play when facing to he?
Thanks! I always enjoy when I run into good players like yourself on the ladder, it's a fun way to randomly get thrown to the wolves.

For Gen 7, after the mega-gengar ban I don't think there were too many individual pokemon that were difficult to counter. I think this is mostly because without the dex cuts, there was such a large pool of pokemon to choose from that every pokemon had multiple counters. It's funny to see the "roles compendium" thread and see for every threat there's like 10+ counters. As for playstyle, I've always found semi-room to be super difficult to beat.

For SS it's 100% Corviknight. There's like 3 viable counters once it gets one iron defense up unless you're running a sun team. It's the biggest roadblock to teambuilding I've experienced, even though it's pretty rare to actually see a corviknight - which just makes it all the more frustrating to have to warp your team to counter a pokemon that gets played less than 5% of the time.

who is your favorite NBA team and player?

should we ban marsh or anything else?
Hawks of course, they’re on the rise (although I’m not sold you can be a championship caliber team with Trae Young’s atrocious defense). I’ve got a ton of favorite players, but right now I’m loving Deandre Hunter. I was telling anyone who would listen the Hawks should draft him, and I think in a few years he’ll be great.

Yeah Marsh should be banned. Ghost-fighting is great offensive typing, and it really limits any set-up sweepers. There’s not a lot of counters, it basically requires speed control to beat without sacking at least one of your own, and even then it has technician boosted shadow sneaks.

I’m not sure about anything else, I think Marsh is the main broken mon right now.

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor

Interview 8 - sawamura

Most of the readeres knows who you are you by new but, could you introduce yourself by telling a Little bit about yourself?
Hello how are you all my name is Adrian/Zikam - Sawamura User in Pokemon Showdown I am 22 years old. I'm from Venezuela , Edo Anzoategui. I live in an apartment with my girlfriend and my 2 year old daughter (her biological mother died in an accident due to the delinquency in this country), I work as an area manager in a cinema, being the sub-manager where I use that money to pay my university studies which are very expensive due to the current economic inflation in the country.

I play pokemon since I was 13 years old when my brother Veristas invited me one day and it was in that moment that I installed a VGC Link Emulator with red fire as my first game in an Android. Squirtle became my first pokemon, without knowledge of the type table everything was a very wonderful adventure which I got completely hooked and I was learning little by little about the pokedex and the different types of pokemon until completing all the games.

What are you hobbies outside of playing pokemon? What do you like to do in your Free Time?
My hobbies are watching a lot of anime and reading mangas, especially Diamond No Ace, listening to music from the 80s and 90s like Freddy Mercury, Bon Jovi, Michael Jackson and the Ost De Anime.
The video games were an essential part in me because I spent much of them in the Play Station playing Pro Evolution Soccer, Fifa, Drangon Ball and its line of games, MLB powerBross, The MLB The show 2012 and among others with which I had a lot of fun on Saturdays and Sundays after arriving from training, which could not on weekdays because the soccer academy and studies consume me.
I developed a passion for online games like League of legends which introduced me to many types of people and it was wonderful to have that experience.
I practiced baseball from the age of 6 until I was 13 because my grandfather was already able to take me to practice because they put them from 7pm on and because he did not live with me but had to go to his house very dark and it took 30 to 40 minutes by bus to get there and it was too dangerous. In my High School I leaned towards soccer and I dedicated myself to it since I could get in there and play with the high school team, which I became famous and because a National Famous Soccer School called "Tiro Libre" (Free Throw) recruited me and I played tournaments where I almost played professional soccer but in the final I didn't make it due to 2 injuries, the first one was that I had a kidney stone and the second one an ankle injury ruined what would be my entrance as a Professional player in the National League. Apart from sports I like to do puzzles (hence my passion for building), fill Sudoku, spend time with daughter at the moment, go out with my friends and with my younger brother called veristas who I miss very much now.

Firstly when I joined this server in 2015 because my brother Veristas was looking for online pokemon games, we found this online simulator, My first Nick that I wanted to put was "Sawamura" because of my fanaticism towards Diamond No Ace that was on weekly broadcast in 2015 but when I saw that it was taken by another user gave me so much anger that I did not take it and my brother and I spent a whole year creating teams in Oras OU and only with Megas and then only passed the equipment of our emulators and Nintendo DS to the teambuilder of pokemon Showdown.
One year later, Veristas and I decided to enter to play and it was when was born the alt Kurama1999JVGMlol which means "kurama" the fox of the nine tails of naruto, "1999" the date of birth of my first love, "JVGM" a girl who rejected me when I was in Primary , It was strange and confusing because that idea was born out of nowhere when I was an adult at 18 years old at the time and finally the "lol" that is understood by the League of legends and my brother before becoming in Veristas put on the alt of "batmanmelasuda1" where he said he put on the number 1 for being the only one wearing that alt. It was my beginning in the showdown simulator as an OU player where my first OU teams reached the top 5 of hours with a mega Camerupt. At the beginning of 2017 I was frequenting the internet and that's when I found an Arab store based on furniture and boom was born the Alt de ZIkam where I forged my popularity in the Spanish room and establishing myself as a regular user of the doubles community. In the Spanish room they was confused with sekiam a world champion in VGC at the time or a mosquito called "Zika", after meeting my requirements in smogon Forums I decided to change my Nick of the Forum and later the PS because it was my main goal for my love for the protagonist of Diamond NO ace.

How Did you find smogon doubles did you choose to stick Around?
In the year 2016 being immersed in the metagame of singles my brother Veristas gives me a description that there is a format with which talking about "doubles OU" which seemed to me creative and less flat than singles, I liked very much for the versatility in which I could develop and I leaned for strategies niches and Set up Boost frightening.
One day my brother discovers the Smogon Forums and that is where everything was born. When we saw the circuit tournament. we saw that ou tournaments and many varieties and when we observed that the winter tournament was in progress at that time after the gen7 pokebank was released was a total joy and we went to the MP Frania to see who was the first Replay I saw as a competitive player I asked him how to Sing up in a tournament like that and then he showed me the circuit. With a lot of Hype I decided to make myself known on the ladder where I played every day and it was always a joy if I lost or won, since when I reached 1600 I met users like Blesshax Frania or other users who were very important at that time for me. Blesshax and my brother showed me the Smogon Doubles room where I was that little by little I got to know them all and where kamikaze was in his last days as the Doubles Colonel de la Tier.
My brother Veristas and I started with the Building to Climb and with the Smogon Bead Creations he wanted to have a very crazy perspective by creating an Identity with which we would identify as twins by always being together. And for that same reason he did my own account and placed that I was 17 at that time when I was actually 19 to make it look like we were the same age when I was older by 2 years. When I went to the MP of Linear Momentum, it showed me how everything worked and what was the function and scheme of the tours in all its specialty. We decided to take that path of the Competitive to become a player in which they could recognize me (which I do not know if I have achieved). A competitive and consistent player which my internet in periods of time does not allow me to be.
As the years went by I fell in love more and more because of the level of SMB , EmbCPT , MajorBowman , Demantoid , emforbes , Matt (Matthew Veiled or Linear Momentum) and Frania in those years.
And now I decided to stay even more after leaving the year 2018 due to the death of my girlfriend and in the middle of 2019 I decided to stop playing where those Dates were delicate at a family level for me in which were my best stages as a competitive player at a smogon level, I was going through an Excellent Level at that time that then was decreasing little by little until you take it up again.

Which mon do you most enjoy using in the current meta-game and why?
My favorite mon is always and will always be Squirtle and his evolutionary line since he was my first pokemon, Blastoise made me impressed to be Tier 1 and I was very proud, I was going to post his Viality Ranking to Tier 1 where Nails stole my protagonist and Hahaha did it. Creating a competitive team with Blastoise always excited me and the Gen8 gave me a gift but we have thrown a lot of shit to Sword And Shield but despite everything has given us things like Crown Tundra which Blastoise has not been able to highlight because someone called Rillaboom is causing a sensation to be in 9 / 10 teams and was lowering its utility.
And in this current metagame it is Marshadow obviously because it is a wallbreaker that can finish with the boost teams and that gives me a lot of joy to play in the staircase when I do it for fun. Landorus-T was going to be my answer but marshadow took the credit at the end

Are there any mons that you think should be banned?
Well, looking at the Meta game system I'm seeing the possibility that marsh can catch a Suspect test, but honestly the mon or ability that I consider this currently broken is called Gothittelle although there are many pivots if you catch a move without the ability to leave the shadow tag forget that you can leave unharmed. Therefore it is incredible the amount of competitive players like SMB that achieve from this skill an almost invincible weapon, Let's give credit to Level 51 because he was the first doubles user or I saw using this mon when there was the Snorlax Suspect test. The Gothlax pair was the worst thing they could have created because if you are in the Trick room with a Beast at +4 Atk it was the end of the game in 90% of the cases.
Kyurem sounds tempting because with the Dragon dance and the Icicle Spear can give games, with its statistics of Bulk with good HP excellent attack and a Considerable Speed place it in a position that to my opinion can be a threat since it exists to incinerate and Gothitelle, mons that can offer a very good support to him and if you combine it with rillaboom or Tsareena can have a Coverage of Which Cube can become untouchable.

Literally there are many players that I admire and even have a lot of respect as a player at the moment. Like SMB, Embc29 I haven't seen him play SS but lately he has been doing it with games on the ladder, but for my main players that led me to what I am are Bless Hax and Linear Momentum ( Matt or Matthew Veiled ) who were my mentors at that time. Bless Hax was for me the mainstay of what I am now since he was always on top of the ladder with his rain gear, Balanced, HO and before he retired he gave me over 600 teams of Doubles or out of appreciation for being his best friend and playmate with whom we spent hours building teams. Matt was my mentor in gameplay and I remember his team with Marsh-Volcanion-Ninetales Alola - MMetagros with Bullet Punch -Tapu Bulu Scarf with Taunt and Shoes and with his famous and rare TR with Tyranitar Cursed.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-645180195
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-651686325
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-665869980 and being this my last match up against Bless hax

Could you give us a team that resembles your playing and building style and your thought process behind it? (gen and meta of your choice)?
My favorite generation is Gen7 but to be honest my favorite team that I spent a lot of time with was a Sun semi TR of gen8 that gave fruits in the first DLT of this year getting 1800 points with it.

EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 200 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Parting Shot
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz

Torkoal @ Charcoal
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Solar Beam
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Eruption

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Melmetal @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 44 HP / 148 Atk / 84 Def / 12 SpD / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Thunder Punch
- High Horsepower
- Body Press

Necrozma @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 40 SpA / 140 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Earth Power
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock

Zeraora @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Plasma Fists
- Knock Off
- Close Combat

Description: The Team Based on two Forms of play that Basically Can Sweep from in Turn 1 (kappa), Melmetal It is a very solid mon With Good Statistics and very Bulk and Absolutely Stupid Damage and we will take it Asault V ,The Team Based on two Forms of play that Basically Can Sweep from in Turn 1 (kappa), Melmetal It is a very solid mon With Good Statistics and very Bulk and Absolutely Stupid Damage and we will take Asault Vest to give more solidity to Hatterene even so with his Mistyc Fire you can take it out in front of a Terracott (as long as you use the Dynamax on the First Turn and you can put Trick Room to Top with Necrozma and Torkoal Under the Conditions Created Venusaur and Zeraora They are our Mon Out of the Trick Room To overcome the Dragapult in speed (i hate you) Zeraora gives Guaranteed Ohko A dragapult With knock off and Venu can Kill mons as Milotic that the Truth is that it fucks a little but nothing that we can Control, Incineroar is fundamental piece (what a coincidence) since it allows you to resist and eat melmetal Hits and with parting shot we can make a good pivot that allows us to win Momentun sometimes Criticalto Flip Games or Rather Close Epically
Melmetal with 159 Speed to beat Ttar 252atack 252Hp and. Mostly the DyanamaxThey are Necrozma and Melmetal Mainly in 70% of the occasions because the Mons that withtheir In Dynamax provide Statistics that helps to tough More or give that Small Coveragethat your teammates require.
I hope you liked.
First of all I like to play with Zerarora and Melmetal who were mons that I like very much and I was able to get by with them. The basic theory of a semi tr is to bring mons both fast and slow for certain occasions. In DLTS1 I was inclined to Necrozma, Torkoal lvl 99 he made the change due to torkoal spam back then when Dynamax was viable but since I did not make the upgrade I was inclined to leave it at that and bet on it, This team gave me many victories in the Winter seasonal one of them was against Yoda2798 and other renowned tours in alternate servers to Main.

Do you have any advice for players that are new to the tier?
My advice for those players who want to implement this tier as fun and exciting as Doubles is or is the same as most professional players in the competition, See replays of games from last rounds of ssnl does not always have to be the last sometimes can be the first, Use sample teams so you can then make yours and gain absolute confidence so you can have a better fun which is the goal of this game, Ask why you click on each move and why because not everything is to hit the keyboard because if and as a last piece of advice if they lose or win a game see them carefully to see their mistakes and recognize them to have a better vision for the future and thus be able to achieve an advance in yourself to get where you really want to go.

First of all, thanks to you n1n1 for having selected me for this interview and the Spanish speaking community for giving me the support and guidance I received during these years, especially to Iyarito , Seso and Blaz who I knew long before they were what they are now xD and especially to my friend SEVT who was basically my mentor in the Spanish room for 3 years and now thanks to him I am Voice in espanish room which makes me happy due to the advice I received from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)