SS OU Checkmate an OU sand team (Peaked #28 at 1989)

If you've been hanging out around the higher rungs of the ladder, chances are you have fought this team once or twice. Now that I make the top 50 I have decided to retire the ole team and start playing something new. Because, as much as this team is my baby and I love it, the fact of the matter is it. It is decently matchup dependant and you have to play very smartly with it. Still, after the inevitable Kyub and Zygarde bans this team will really come into it's prime, I hope to one day see someone far better than me at this game take it to #1.

So let's start with a little team-building process. When crown first came I had my eye on one poke alone, Dracozolt which now got Sandrush which in conjunction with Bolt Beak makes for a deadly combo. However, in order to make Sand Rush work, we first need Sand Setters.

THE SETTERS

https://www.smogon.com/forums/attachments/external-content-duckduckgo-com-gif.289399/?hash=d4ce4dd6604a1d007bdbd673dc939fc7

King (Hippowdon) (M) @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind

Hippowdown is the king. As the primary sand setter, wall, and rocks setter, this thing is more often than not the key to victory. It can come in take basically any single non boosted physical attack and whirlwind or slack off the damage. This thing has stopped more Kyub, Zygarde, Phera, Garchomp, and D-nite sweeps than I can count, It also threatens Mag, Melmetal, and Excadarill from sweeping though in Mag's case it's more of a last resort. I use the relaxed nature so I can underspeed TR teams and get the surprise on Mag, Marowak, and Melmetal. However, it's primary function is to set sand and support the rest of the team.

Be wary though lose the king and you will more often than not lose the game.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.gif

Pawn (Tyranitar) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Atk / 72 Def / 112 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Rock Blast

Oh, T-tar, the weakest member of this entire team but still contributes more than any pokemon on any other team I've used. This is the special wall to Hippo's Physical alongside also setting up albeit shorter sand support for the team. Its ev'd So it can take one EQ from Lando-T/Thousand arrows from Zygarde and KO with an ice beam. Alongside being able to KO PhysDef Ferro, and Physdef Buzzwole on the switch. It can 2ho standard mag with Eq and then Rock blast is for Kyub/Spectrier. Speaking of which if you see a spectrier on the other team, make sure to keep T-tar alive at all costs. Otherwise, the bastard can sweep ya clean underneath a sub.

Though he may be a simple pawn, all pawns can become a queen

So next I ask, what's the most important part about sand offense? Well, The offense of course. I saw instantly the connection between two beautiful mons and chose them thus.

The Sweepers

Queen (Excadrill) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide

Though I know I said the team was based around Dracozolt the true queen of the team is Excadrill. She can come in on so much, threaten it out and Swords dance up. Some good examples are Clefable, Heatran (Be careful here) Melmetal, Kyub, Zapdos (Heat waveless) Glastrier, Spectrier (Out of sub), and once you've got a sword to dance up nothing short of priority or Buzzwole or Defensive Lando-T can kill you. Even then Neither appreciates a +2 or +1.5 iron head which will then weaken them enough for Dracozolt to sweep. Iron head and EQ are there for obvious stabs and rock slide is there to hit Moltres/Mandibuzz/Zapdos who otherwise would wall the shit out of you. After much, much experimenting I decided on Jolly nature specifically because it allows you to outspeed neutral +1 speed Phero who if carrying Ice beam or being QD will completely and utterly destroy this team. If it's + speed? It can't break through the team without the extra power unless you're extremely weakened.

The Queen is the strongest of all pieces.

Knight (Dracozolt) @ Life Orb
EVs: 88 Atk / 212 SpA / 208 Spe
Rash Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

The main attraction, the entire thing this team was built around, and the cornerstone of many sweeps. For the most part, it's gameplay is relatively simple. Ground-type on their team? Click Draco Meteor, no ground type on their team? Click Bolt Beak. Watch as everything dies. That's it simple down to it's most basic. The Ev's I have are so you can Ohko Offensive Landorus-T after rocks with Draco meteor and dent basically every bulky ground type there is, Rash nature supports that as it doesn't need too many att EV's to still destroy everything with Bolt beak. I also chose Rash so it could keep it's decent bulk on the physical side so it can take priority like Rilla's Grassy Glide, Urshifu Sucker punch, and a Cinderace sucker punch. Fireblast is there to beat Thorn and non-AV Buzzwole. While EQ is there to beat tran/Mag on the predicted Draco. 208-speed EV's so it can outspeed base 95's at +1 while underneath the sand.

The Knight is the most unique and interesting of all the pieces in play.

So next I had to decide on the last two pokemon and I went through so many it wasn't funny. I first tried Lando-I and Scizor but believe it or not Lando was not working out as it just doubled down on coverage I already had. Scizor though worked as at the time I was running Adamant Drill and needed Sciz's prio to beat Phera. Still, I was getting screwed over by Lando-I, Zygarde, Kyub, and Phera. I tried out Nidoking hoping the ice coverage would help but it didn't. I tried Kyub but it also didn't work out well as it hated the sand chipping it down. I tried Lando again, still didn't work and then it got banned. Then I chose of my next Mon and everything changed.\

Rook (Buzzwole) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Atk / 84 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch

Buzzwole saved most of my problems. Though I fooled around with its item a bit, trying out AV, leftovers, and its moveset a lot, I ultimately decided on Rocky Helmet because of Urshifu-R. This thing is in my opinion top 10 mons in the tier right now, it just checks so much. Zygarde can't touch it outside of Parahax, Urshifu can do even less to it, Rillaboom-who? and Kyub needs to carry Duel Wingbneat to KO it. otherwise, it needs to hit all 5 Icicle Spears at +2 to even kill it and avoid the Drain Punch Ko back. Drain Punch is STAB and it's the main type of recovery, Ice punch is for Lando/Zapdos switch-ins and for Zygarde, Rillaboom, Garchomp, and more. Thunderpunch is for Moltres/Fini/Pelipper. Eq is for Mag and predicted Heatran. Besides Hippo, I'd say this is the single least disposable mon on the entire team as it just checks so many things that would otherwise run through this team.

The rook is the most consistent and solid of all the pieces.

So I found my 5th member and I liked Scizor I really did. However, I still was getting wrecked by rain, and more specifically by swampert who does still destroy this team very hard. I was last and could not be found, I needed that last little touch, that last thing to make it perfect, that last little spark. And then I found it.

Bishop (Zapdos) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Volt Switch

My Bishop and an absolute monster of a Mon. With Heavy duty boots, it avoids rocks and can come in on most things. Hurricane 2hko's non-SPD Swampert and Zygarde. It also 2hko's Lando-T, non-SPD Clefable, Slowbro, and with the combination of it and Heat Wave it 2hko's Mag It also allows you to abuse another opponents rain to full effect as nothing they have wants to switch into a max SPA hurricane, just be wary the RNG. Heat-wave is there to hit all those bulky steel types that would switch in on Hurricane with the exception of Tran and as a bit of a safer offensive option if ya don't wanna risk a Hurricane miss on something you know you could 2ho. Roost is there because if you're fighting rain, fighting Lucha, or Zap's Galarian counterpart you can keep it healthy and strong so you can consistently check them alongside allowing multiple more opportunities to come in and rip apart the opposing team. Volt switch is there for stab and so you can pivot out consistently into your Sweepers safely so they can come in and start ripping havoc, as no ground types wanna switch in on a hurricane.

The Bishop is the black sheep but often ends the game more than the queen.

Swampert: Priority numero one, start chipping this thing down asap, it can take Meteors and EQ's all day long KO right back atchu. So start chipping away at it asap and take advantage of its lack of recovery. If Exca is +2 you should be okay. However, be as careful as possible around this mon, with the right set it'll weaken the entire team so fast that something will come in and clean up asap when you're not looking.

Pheramosa: This thing will fuck you up... if it's special or has ice beam. If it's physical with Triple axel your golden as Buzzwole will wall it all day long and Ko back with either TP or IP after rocky helmet chip damage. If it has ice beam? pray to the gods it doesn't crit and get Buzzwole in there.

Zygarde: Buzzwole or Zolt's Draco meteor will take care of this thing but still be careful, glare, plus coil hax and it's decent bulk/speed tier means this thing will fuck your day up.

Kyurem-Black : Non-Duel-Wingbeat? Buzzwole. Duel Wingbeat? Get T-tar in there and pray it doesn't hit 5 times. If it does then revenge with Exca. If it gets to +2 you deserve to lose.

Rillaboom: Save Dos/Wole for it Otherwise Draco can kill it with Fireblast in sand. Not a horrible threat but it's a pain in the ass.

Clefable: No excadrill? You lose unless it's played smart. Otherwise, it's set up foughter for Drill and can often lead to a 6-0.

Urshifu-R: This thing, especially under rain rips this team apart. Best case scenario get Zolt in there under sand and chase it out/bolt beak. Worst case scenario? Sack Buzzwole and let it take the rocky helmet damage for all 3 hits.

Pelliper/Rain: Putting these together because Pelliper is not a threat. However, rain will fuck your day up all day every day if you don't play smart. Target this thing, lure it in with Wole and thunder punch or get zolt in there as most things in rain hate anything that Zolt can use. Be very wary and make sure not to let your sand setters die or you just straight up lose.

Screenshot (9).png

King (Hippowdon) (M) @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind

Pawn (Tyranitar) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Atk / 72 Def / 112 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Rock Blast

Queen (Excadrill) (F) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide

Rash Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Rook (Buzzwole) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Atk / 84 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch

Bishop (Zapdos) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Volt Switch

Cheers, good luck! And hey if ya try it out?

Well, ya might just put a few people into checkmate.

Attachments

Last edited:
Why is your Buzzwole Serious when it has no special attacks? I don't know whether you're actually running Impish or Adamant.

I think bulk up buzzwole is better on this team. Because it gives you another sweeper just in case you can’t break a fat team. You can also consider roost on buzzwole. Let me get a ev spread.

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Atk / 156 Def / 64 SpD / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch
Urshifu surging strikes 3hkos
Pheromosa ice beam 3 hkos
This is all I remember from the top of my head, feel free to ask finch if you need more info

Ah damn, I am working on a sand team atm that is very similar to yours, wanted to post it when I got a higher ranking with it, but you were faster (and got higher up on the ladder)^^ I am in mid 1800s atm. My team consists of TTar, Drill, Zolt, Buzzwole, Zapdos and Tapu Fini. I will try to compare your team with mine, maybe we can combine the strenghts of both and create the perfect sand offense ;)
  • Buzzwole: I totally agree with SpookyZ, bulk up fits better. I actually use the exact same set he suggested, but with Rocky Helmet as you do (mainly for Melmetall, since it KOs itself and you can just roost off the damage). Roost is was makes Buzz consistent in the long run. With a defensive Behemoth like Buzz, I feel like Hippo isn't really needed, and you get another slot. While thunderpunch is a nice option to lure Pelipper, I think bulk up outclasses it in a lot of games. Earthquake isn't really need in my opinion (Fini offers a switch in to Heatran).
  • TTar: As you mentioned, needed for Spectrier (especially Scarf variants ruin the team otherwise). I run Smooth Rock on this (since I don't have Hippo). Thus, it can carry rocks. I use full specially defense, I don't have the luxury to lure Lando anyway since it is my only setter^^ But I am thinking about adding some Sp Att Evs like you did... I still run Ice Beam to catch Lando/Zygarde on the switch, as well as Fireblast. Last move for me is Crunch, to make sure it always kills Spectrier (I really hate that thing). I never missed the other moves tbh.
  • Dracozolt: I run a physical variant, but I gotta say I love your approach. I will change my set to yours, clearly better =)
  • Excadrill: I almost never got to set up with it, so I changed to Adamant + Choice Band to always get some damage of. Even more prediction reliant, but had really paid of for me. Jolly isn't needed since Pheromosa is taken care of by Buzzwole now. Last slot can be Rapid Spin or Toxic (for e.g. Swampert), whichever you prefer.
  • Tapu Fini: I wanted a defensive water type, and try the Buzz-Fini Core. It also started off as my defogger. Prevents Buzz from being toxiced and the others from being burned. Makes sure you can handle Zygarde, gives a switchin to Heatran and Swampert and forces them out. On the downside, it weakens Dracozolts Draco Meteor =/ But also makes him able to switch into Pex without fearing a burn... I am not quite sure if Fini is the right choice, but it worked best for me in this slot so far. I finally settled for a variant with some SpAtt.
  • Zapdos: The Anti-Rain Slot. I experimented a lot with this, even tried Mantine (not too bad, but very passive in other matchups). I also found Zapdos to be an interessting choice here and settled on it. I run Defog over Heat Wave (I noticed you have no Hazard control at all), but that is up to personal preference. 88 Def Evs make sure it doesn't get 2HKOed by its Galarian Brother. ( 252+ Atk Choice Band Zapdos-Galar Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 88 Def Zapdos: 162-191 (42.1 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery).
Since we came up with a really similar team independently, I think it's a very good approach on Sand offense. Trading Hippo, a very valuable second setter, for Fini, helped me in many games, but makes it harder if the opponent runs Spectrier so Ttar has to be kept at a high health total. I added an importable of my team, with your Dracozolt set over mine. Maybe you want to try it out and give me some feedback. Helps with most of your threats =)

Last but not least: Congratulations on your peak, and I really like your chess-theme =)

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast

Excadrill @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Toxic

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpA / 16 SpD / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Knock Off
- Surf
- Taunt

Buzzwole @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpA
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hurricane
- Defog
- Roost

Rash Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Last edited:
The new Dracozolt set made me enter the 1900s now =)

SpookyZ or Finchinator, could you comment on the EVs for Buzzwole a little more, please? I Run full Def before and miss the bulk a bit vs Banded Melmetall. Why so much Spdef, isn't it sufficient to never be 2HKOed by Pheromosa's Ice Beam? What is the Attk and Speed for?

Why is your Buzzwole Serious when it has no special attacks? I don't know whether you're actually running Impish or Adamant.
Ah something weird happened with the pastebin as I have beenrunning Adamant it did the same thing to Zolt but I caught that one thanks!

I think bulk up buzzwole is better on this team. Because it gives you another sweeper just in case you can’t break a fat team. You can also consider roost on buzzwole. Let me get a ev spread.

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch
Urshifu surging strikes 3hkos
Pheromosa ice beam 3 hkos
This is all I remember from the top of my head, feel free to ask finch if you need more info
I experimented with Bulk up Buzzwole and AV Buzzwole but ultimately I decided I liked ththe coverage that 4 attacks provides more. EQ can catch mag or Tran on the switch very nicely and KO them easily which can send him snowballing. Meanwhile Thunderpunch catches Fini anand azumarill onthe switch who both are 2hko'd.

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
Funny thing, Dracovish sand just seems very popular atm, as I also have a very similar sand team as both of you! I kinda want to share it but with so many of these flying around I think I should just post it here to compare it. I forgor where I was on ladder but I am much much lower than both of you lol.

Hippowdon: I have the standard PhysDef Hippo and the only difference between your set and mine is that I have lefties. I honestly forget Smooth Rock exists lol. Will change it to that. I also have Toxic but I think I'll keep it as it is very valuable vs rain and Pelipper.
Excadrill: I have lefties, but I think LO is better too. Will change that.
Dracozolt: Funny, I though I was so smart thinking "Oh I can use mixed Zolt!" and then found out everyone is using mixed Zolt. Gets the job done though. And yeah ur right about how you don't need too many EVs for Bolt Beak to hit like a nuke. Tried CB but it didn't work. This set is amazing imo. I had a 221 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe spread with Naive before.
Corviknight: Defogger, pivot, blah blah blah. Corv is honestly a great support mon and oftentimes get what I need to get in safely.
Blissey: Well, we have a physical wall in Hippo, an all-purpose wall in Corvi, so now we need a special wall. Honestly I'm not too sold on Ttar, but I tried Blissey and it is amazing. I picked the Aromatherapy Teleport varient as the team hates status and stall blows.
Latios: Oh boy where do I start with this guy. I've won games that revolved around Corvi/Blissey pivoting Latios in over and over again to lauch off Draco Meteors. He usually gets at least one kill every game as he has next to no switchins. His one job is to fire off nuclear powered Draco Meteors and he does it well. Currently using LO Latios but probably will change it to Specs because it often don't even need to switch moves. Every Dragon-type is erased from existance from this guy, Ferro gets melted from Mystical Fire, and fat Blissey will be smashed by Psyshock. Love it.

Well I have problems with Kyurem-B but there is a very good chance that it's gonna get banned soon. Vs rain... I don't know, the team certainly looks like that it will have trouble against rain, but I usually pilot it well enough that Pelipper almost never get to switchin. However I have large problems against watershifu and I'm usually reduced to RK-ing with Latios or Zolt. Darkshifu is also problematic as I have to keep Hippo healthy to have a chance, as Latios gets OHKO-ed by sucker punch.

The Skeld (Hippowdon) @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Reactor Meltdown (Dracozolt) @ Life Orb
Rash Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Sky Warrior (Corviknight) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn
- Brave Bird

Blue (Blissey) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Teleport
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Aromatherapy

Never Say Die! (Excadrill) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Destiny (Latios) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Mystical Fire
- Aura Sphere / Trick (depends on what I feel like that day)

Also do you play chess? I play but I'm kinda bad at it lol

Funny thing, Dracovish sand just seems very popular atm, as I also have a very similar sand team as both of you! I kinda want to share it but with so many of these flying around I think I should just post it here to compare it. I forgor where I was on ladder but I am much much lower than both of you lol.

Hippowdon: I have the standard PhysDef Hippo and the only difference between your set and mine is that I have lefties. I honestly forget Smooth Rock exists lol. Will change it to that. I also have Toxic but I think I'll keep it as it is very valuable vs rain and Pelipper.
Excadrill: I have lefties, but I think LO is better too. Will change that.
Dracozolt: Funny, I though I was so smart thinking "Oh I can use mixed Zolt!" and then found out everyone is using mixed Zolt. Gets the job done though. And yeah ur right about how you don't need too many EVs for Bolt Beak to hit like a nuke. Tried CB but it didn't work. This set is amazing imo. I had a 221 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe spread with Naive before.
Corviknight: Defogger, pivot, blah blah blah. Corv is honestly a great support mon and oftentimes get what I need to get in safely.
Blissey: Well, we have a physical wall in Hippo, an all-purpose wall in Corvi, so now we need a special wall. Honestly I'm not too sold on Ttar, but I tried Blissey and it is amazing. I picked the Aromatherapy Teleport varient as the team hates status and stall blows.
Latios: Oh boy where do I start with this guy. I've won games that revolved around Corvi/Blissey pivoting Latios in over and over again to lauch off Draco Meteors. He usually gets at least one kill every game as he has next to no switchins. His one job is to fire off nuclear powered Draco Meteors and he does it well. Currently using LO Latios but probably will change it to Specs because it often don't even need to switch moves. Every Dragon-type is erased from existance from this guy, Ferro gets melted from Mystical Fire, and fat Blissey will be smashed by Psyshock. Love it.

Well I have problems with Kyurem-B but there is a very good chance that it's gonna get banned soon. Vs rain... I don't know, the team certainly looks like that it will have trouble against rain, but I usually pilot it well enough that Pelipper almost never get to switchin. However I have large problems against watershifu and I'm usually reduced to RK-ing with Latios or Zolt. Darkshifu is also problematic as I have to keep Hippo healthy to have a chance, as Latios gets OHKO-ed by sucker punch.

Also do you play chess? I play b5ut I'm kinda bad at it lol
Yeah Banded Sucker Punch is a bitch against this team. Zolt can usually take one at over 70% and of course I have Buzzwole who Urshifu can't even begin to touch.

Latios seems decent and like it'd be a great rain check due to resisting most things on rain teams. Still if ya added a surprise Thunder or something similar Rain teams literally could not switch onto you.

Blissed on sand is interesting... I mean having a special wall for Hippo is nice and being able to pivot is great. I much prefer T-tars offensive capabilities though. Still a very interesting mon to have on this team.

Petition to call this Zolt set the Ocelzolt? Haha.

Looks like an overall solid team though a tad too defensive and passive for my own tastes. Still good job mate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)