OU OU Blaziken

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Earthquake / Thunder Punch / Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Blaziken remains as one of the most terrifying sweepers in the OU metagame. Speed Boost allows it to outpace much of the metagame after a turn, bar extremely fast Pokemon and Choice Scarf users. Combined with powerful STAB moves, good coverage, and a Swords Dance boost, Blaziken can be a menace to underprepared teams. Earthquake is used to hit Toxapex hard, while Thunder Punch can be used to hit Toxapex, Slowbro, Tapu Fini, and Moltres. Knock Off is an option for more utility and can hit Slowbro and Latias, but it leaves it stopped by Toxapex.

Blaziken's main shortcomings comes from its inability to set up easily. Its low initial Speed means that it needs to force something out to get rolling. In addition, it is extremely vulnerable to priority from Pokemon such as Urshifu-R and even Rillaboom, as recoil from Life Orb and Flare Blitz adds up quickly and the defense drops from Close Combat make it easy pickings. To ease setup and help protect against priority, dual screens support from Pokemon such as Regieleki or Psychic Terrain from Tapu Lele is helpful.

Last edited:

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
ok i feel like im definitely missing something here but i wanted to get it up

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Remove add comment
Blaziken @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Earthquake / Knock Off / Thunder Punch Knock Off should either be slashed last or removed in my opinion, no way of getting past Toxapex is far from ideal.
- Swords Dance

As expected, Blaziken remains one of the most terrifying sweepers in the OU metagame. Its ability Speed Boost allows it to outpace almost the entire metagame after a boost. This isn't entirely accurate; Blaziken only has base 80 Speed so at +1 it's still outsped by Pheromosa, Regieleki, and most scarfers. Combined with powerful STAB moves, good coverage, and a Swords Dance boost, there really isn't much Blaziken can't break through. Again, I wouldn't say this; between Toxapex, Slowbro, Tapu Fini, Dragonite, Moltres, etc., there's definitely a decent amount of checks out there depending on its coverage move. Blaziken is the kind of Pokemon that sweep at the drop of a hat and turn a game around quickly, and as such must always be prepared for. Earthquake can be used in the last slot to hit Toxapex hard and is Blaziken's strongest move that doesn't cause more recoil Close Combat doesn't cause direct recoil damage either and there are other stronger moves without immediate drawbacks too, so I'd leave this part out to avoid confusion, while Thunder Punch can be used to hit Toxapex, Slowbro, and Tapu Fini and Moltres, and Knock Off is an option for Slowbro, Latios Latias You usually OHKO Latios with +2 Close Combat, but not Latias, and Dragapult more utility. +2 Earthquake and Flare Blitz KO Dragapult too.

On the other hand, Blaziken's main shortcomings comes from its inability to set up easily. Its low initial Speed means that it needs to force something out to set up and get rolling. In addition, it is extremely vulnerable to priority as recoil from Life Orb and Flare Blitz add up quickly and the defense drops from Close Combat make it easy pickings. You should add a few examples of the priority moves you mention here, Zygarde Extreme Speed is a notable one. You should also mention screens support from the likes of Regieleki to patch up these flaws. Try to remove some fluff from here or at the start to accomodate this.
I'd like to take another look once you've implemented this. If you have trouble deciding what to remove I can help with that.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Blaziken @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Blaziken remains one of the most terrifying sweepers in the OU metagame. Speed Boost allows it to outpace almost the entire metagame after a turn, bar extremely fast Pokemon and Choice Scarf users. I still think "almost the entire metagame" is an overstatement, since Choice Scarf users, Pheromosa, Regieleki, Sand Rush Excadrill, etc. are all fairly common. Combined with powerful STAB moves, good coverage, and a Swords Dance boost, there really isn't much Blaziken can't break through with the right move. I think this last part is slightly exaggerated as well, considering that even with the right coverage it'll often need a little bit of prior chip damage on many of its checks. Maybe just say these traits make it a menace to underprepared teams and then you can just drop this following sentence. Blaziken is the kind of Pokemon that sweep at the drop of a hat and turn a game around quickly, and as such must always be prepared for. Earthquake is used to hit Toxapex hard, while Thunder Punch can be used to hit Toxapex, Slowbro, Tapu Fini, and Moltres, and Knock Off is an option for Slowbro, Latias, and more utility, but leaves it stopped by Toxapex.

Blaziken's main shortcomings comes from its inability to set up easily. Its low initial Speed means that it needs to force something out to get rolling. In addition, it is extremely vulnerable to priority from Pokemon such as Zygarde, Azumarill, and Crawdaunt Urshifu-R, and even Rillaboom as recoil from Life Orb and Flare Blitz add up quickly and the defense drops from Close Combat make it easy pickings. Azumarill and Crawdaunt have fallen off pretty significantly compared to prior to the DLC, while Urshifu-R and Rillaboom still see decent usage, and Grassy Glide does quite a lot despite being resisted. To ease setup and help protect against priority, Screens support from Pokemon such as Regieleki or Psychic Terrain from Tapu Lele are helpful.
Been a little nitpicky here, but I think someone reading what you have now would likely think Blaziken is broken, while from what I've seen most players seem to agree that it's fairly balanced (for now), which my changes would reflect more. Looks good otherwise though, 1/1 with this. :blobthumbsup:

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Add Remove Comments (AC) = Add Comma (RC) = Remove Comma

GP 1/1

garchompstamp.gif

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Blaziken remains as one of the most terrifying sweepers in the OU metagame. Speed Boost allows it to outpace much of the metagame after a turn, bar extremely fast Pokemon and Choice Scarf users. Combined with powerful STAB moves, good coverage, and a Swords Dance boost, Blaziken can be a menace to underprepared teams. Earthquake is used to hit Toxapex hard, while Thunder Punch can be used to hit Toxapex, Slowbro, Tapu Fini, and Moltres. (Period) and Knock Off is an option for more utility and can hit Slowbro, (RC) and Latias, and more utility, (RC) but it leaves it stopped by Toxapex.

Blaziken's main shortcomings comes from its inability to set up easily. Its low initial Speed means that it needs to force something out to get rolling. In addition, it is extremely vulnerable to priority from Pokemon such as Urshifu-R, (RC) and even Rillaboom, (AC) as recoil from Life Orb and Flare Blitz add adds up quickly and the defense drops from Close Combat make it easy pickings. To ease setup and help protect against priority, Screens dual screens support from Pokemon such as Regieleki or Psychic Terrain from Tapu Lele are is helpful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)