Project Ubers Player of the Week #10: Holy Ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Nayrz with idea from Arii Stella
Banner by Six

Welcome to Ubers Player of the Week! Ubers players were interviewed that have had success and are respected in the community. You will be able to ask questions to the player I interview by commenting on this post. Everyone wasn't able to be interviewed this time, but maybe in the future the project will be revived again. Hope you enjoy the final interview!

:zacian-crowned: Holy Ghost :calyrex-shadow:

Favorite Pokemon?

:deoxys-attack:

Most known for?

Had several decent tour runs like open, ssnl and circuit playoffs in USM.

Can you tell us a little about yourself?

Ubers resident mexican, I graduated high school this year and still figuring out what I want to do in life but corona kinda screwed a lot of stuff over for me. I like playing games in my free time even though im not the best and mostly casual like csgo, genshin, brawlhalla, realm of the mad god, tagpro and played league for a few days cus a friend made me. Im tagpro goat tho no cap. I listen to a lot of music with my main genres being hiphop and kpop.

Any backstory on your name?

Truthfully I made my smogon account while I was listening to Montana of 300 - Holy Ghost which is the main reason why I picked this name. I also thought it was pretty cool and mysterious after hearing stories of people being controlled by the Holy Ghost or something when I was younger in Church which contributed to me deciding on the name. I also love ghost types which is a nice +.

How did you get into competitive Pokemon?
I started playing pokemon with Sapphire on the gameboy which I played so much its crazy. I fell in love with pokemon at an extremely early age at like around 5 playing the gameboy/ds games and collecting many cards. I never got into TCG but I really enjoyed opening card packs and pulling some cool looking cards as a kid, my folks probably hated it as it got pretty expensive :pain:. A friend showed me PS! when I was like [redacted] years old that I was admin with on a pretty popular pokemon facebook page (cringe I know) like early 2013. I was noob asf at ou back then but I met someone who later went on to create the first big side server (frost, even more cringe) and I played a little monotype on it. I bounced between main/side server meeting some cool people that made me stay playing Pokemon on here even though majority of them quit and never pursued the smogon aspect of things but a few stuck around like Skysolo Alpha Rabbit ara six and magic. I think I got into Ubers around 2017-18ish a little before solo and rabbit as im bad with remembering things. I gravitated towards Ubers as who doesn't like battling the strongest Pokemon?

Least and favorite Ubers generation?
Its really hard for me to decide between USM and ADV as my favorite, but I think I'll have to go with ADV. I just love pretty much everything about ADV, the actual games, anime, pokemon it has and the ubers metagame. I dont hate any gen tbh but if I were to pick my least favorite it would have to be Oras due to my inexperience in it and I don't have any motivation or interest to pick it up. Overall personally it would be usm>adv>dpp>bw>ss>oras>rby/gsc(if you count these, I dont actively play them)

You started in SM, what are your thoughts on the USM metagame? Do you think its the best metagame balanced-wise?
I absolutely loved playing SM/USM. At a point I was pushing out teams like nothing creating tech and just pretty solid teams overall. I really love how you can use Pokemon that seem pretty useless due to the ability of Z moves, the strength of offense and just the amount of niches needed as team compression in USM is intense. I do think it is the best metagame objectively as it offers pretty much everything you could ask for and more, I don't think one archetype is superior by far to another which is pretty cool trait to have. I think the state of USM atm is extremely boring and the innovation has been cut down to near 0. I believe there is still room for innovation as I have some Pokemon and sets I need to build with still but people rather use standard teams now opposed to when it was the current gen. I dont believe anything is broken either which is very good, pdon is by far not broken at all as it has a plethora of checks/counters its just that pdon is so versatile and can fill many roles that its usage is insane. I think gen 7 was the rise to many great players and at its peak was a super incredible metagame, I just grew bored of it recently. If I was asked about a year ago for my favorite metagame it would be USM in a heartbeat.

With Farceus being banned recently and it being your 3rd favorite generation how did you feel about the Farceus meta? Do you think the tier is better with or without?
Absolutely hated the metagame with Farceus. I heavily agreed with Dream on the topic with it bringing DPP as one of my favorites to my least liked. Im not an expert at DPP but I started playing awhile before Farceus was added and was have major fun playing but it all ended when it got added with broken ass ekiller. Not to mention Ghost/Fighting/Steel which were also pretty damn good but not as good as crazy as ekiller. I've seen countless games where someone sends ekiller out late game, clicks SD and just wins. Sure theres counterplay early/mid game but if they play it right stuff like giratina/kabutops/etc wont always be there to stop it. I strongly believe ekiller was way too good in the tier and no one could change my mind on that, tier is way better with Farceus gone. It was good for closure though having a vote, im not mad at that at all and wouldn't be that mad if it stayed but I just would never play it. Brought it back to one of my favorites to play casually again, super fun metagame and I really love no preview metas and think the lead matchups are very unique and cool. I like the pace of the metagame too.

Why is ADV your favorite Ubers metagame?
I originally picked up ADV ubers to have a chance in the ubers circuit playoffs (it didn't only feature SS back then). iry tutored me in the basics of the tier and blossomed my passion for the gen. I think the prevalent Pokemon are extremely cool and I like the overall pace of the game. No team preview is also very interesting and I think it adds an element of skill being able to guess your opponents last or remaining teammates and play around them accordingly. Its a rather straight forward generation playwise but some people just cant grasp the mechanics and overall metagame knowledge that others have which allows for a little skill gap between majority of players imo. Deoxys-Attack mindgames and trapping a forretress with magneton or earthquaking the incoming magneton is always a thrill to me still, I also enjoy using pokemon like Godquaza and slaking. The lead metagame isn't as punishing as DPP but I enjoy it nonetheless. Overall I enjoy playing this tier the most and I still have fun playing/building for it which is what really matters.

If you could change one thing about any Ubers metagame what would it be and why?
Make dark physical in ADV, mainly looking at pursuit. Firstly it would make Metagross pretty insane as pursuit would 100% KO Deoxys-attack where as now if the deo stays in pursuit doesnt even KO. Metagross would also even be able to trap the latis which would be massive and maybe even broken. That would be the biggest change but stuff like Aerodactyl, Snorlax, Heracross and Skarmory also get it which could have some cool things. Other moves like knock off and hp dark could maybe be useful somewhere but pursuit is the main attraction with this. I base all of this on calcs I did so if I messed up the calcs thats a L...

You're one of the few that voted no ban in the Dynamax suspect, why did you feel it shouldn't have been banned? How do you feel about the SS metagame as a whole?
I had a love-hate relationship with Dynamax, I liked what it added in some aspects but hated it in others. I was never a fan of SS from the very beginning as it seemed very not interesting to me but dynamax added a little something to the metagame for me personally. I play ubers for the brokens and the chaos some mons can bring so I just sorta liked what dynamax brought to the table. I think the tier will be better off without it sure, I wasn't too involved in the meta to have the full analysis but I liked it. Although I hated some things it had to offer such as the stuff like yveltal, calyrex-s and a few others plus the ability to not he phazed/tricked. I think a banlist would be cool to have but overall and in the longrun not worth and more negative than positive I feel and just would be too much work to keep balanced. It was 100% getting banned regardless though which isn't the best mentality to have for me voting no ban but as I said before I had a love-hate relationship, the meta will be better without it pretty sure. The last I was sorta involved with the meta was pre tundra so I dont really have a thought of it atm but with the mons back it seems kinda cool, I plan on getting more into it maybe sometime soon not sure.

You were drafted to Dareal Drizzlers this UPL, how was the experience throughout the season?
Didn't expect to be bought by the Drizzlers because I didn't really know the managers/didn't think they knew me but was bought for like 7k iirc. Was kinda bummed I was looking like a permabench slot at first when I thought I was 100% starter worthy but I didn't have much team tour experience so its w/e. Lhabitat went MIA so I became the new ADV slot which was a blast even though I had a pretty bad 1-2 record, not the best games though. I came into the tour really wanting to hone my ADV and having mm2 manager really helped that as we bounced ideas off each other and helped me create some of my favorite teams. I expected to be an USM slot though as that was really the only tier I had prior success in but our USM players did fine and I got subbed into it once and got a win but I had hella fun playing ADV so im happy with my overall season even though I feel my 2-2 record should have been better. I met a lot of cool people through it that I talk to regularly like nora/dnnp/staxi/etc while like the only person I knew coming into it was 64 plays. Nayrz and MM2 were great managers though from what I saw and did a lot of helping and the SS guys did their thing even though I didn't know anything about the tier so I muted the channels. I didn't pay the most attention to the season but I remember us getting haxed quite a bit and we didn't have the best season possible but nonetheless it was a good experience compared to my other team tours I've played in.

Ubers Most Wanted is around the corner, how do you feel about the fresh tournament format? Thoughts on a World Cup of Ubers?

I didn't pay attention last MW really but the concept seems pretty cool. The whole idea of battling with the loser losing a "life" or being "assassinated" or whatever is neat, I like it. I heard they're making changes to it for old gens or something which will most likely make it even more fun to play. Everyone I talked to seemed to enjoy it. Wcou is ehh idk. I've seen both sides of the coin and both raise fair points about it. I think it could be cool to have but like over MW? It seems MW is the better tournament personally and Wcou would only be fun if it includes old gens and seems like a huge jerk anyways. It seems it would be a hassle to setup and do mod tour stuff from what mods say. I don't think France would just be dominant like a lot of people say though, places like us east and europe have very strong squads in their regions. I wouldn't mind if Wcou happens or not though, not the most interesting tour to me.

What is your favorite type of teams to use across the generations?

Offense or balance. I like fast paced games but I also like my defensive backbones because thats just my playstyle, I hate stall and don't see myself ever using it in Ubers. I much rather rely on outplaying the opponent with offense than resort to using stall in ubers. I just tend to be an aggressive player and it costs me games sometimes but thats just what it is and something I need to work on.

Any advice for new players trying to break into Ubers?
Make friends. Ubers at times is extremely inclusive, especially when I first started playing it felt this way. I didnt really make friends when I started but rather played in tournaments which helped people recognize my name and that im not the WORST player that plays this game. Although it seems to be easier now as the newer community is extremely nice and with discord being more popular now its easier to dive right into discussions with more made players. I never was the type of person to ladder much starting out and I personally never check the ladder rankings but thats just me, if you peak thats still pretty noteworthy and can help land you a spot in UPL/MW if thats your goal. If your goal is to land a spot in an Ubers team tour when they come around talk to managers and do tryouts. Sadly tryouts dont always work even if you beat the managers but some say they actually decide based on tryouts but regardless its a good thing to do. Bottomline is dont be toxic/annoying to people, play in tournaments (you dont have to win or have an amazing tour but if you show interest and at least some positive results you have a shot, always try to improve) and make some friends. If you ever need some help with learning an ubers tier you can hmu on here/ps/discord and I can try to point you the right way.

Do you look up to any Ubers players?
When I started I had a lot of respect for Gunner Rohan but I don't really look up to anyone. I guess I could say I look up to people like Terracotta and Zesty when it comes to building as I thought they had very cool approaches to the tier. I kinda always done my own thing and didn't worry too much about others. My top 3 players of all time though would be like Hack, Hyw and Pohjis personally. I think Exiline is almost there.

Favorite game you've witnessed?

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ubers-553071851
I don't really pay attention to others games too much but regardless this is probably my favorite for nostalgia reasons. Hyw was the first good player I got to battle and even though the game wasn't perfect it was the start of my time playing Ubers. I later submitted this team to the gen 7 bazaar as one of my very first sm teams (maybe my very first I dont really remember) which a friend named the team "geoman-see you later" which I thought was pretty funny and cool. Gameplay wasn't anything crazy or special and was pretty straight forward. Battle meant nothing to him but I really enjoyed it as hyw is one of the best Ubers players of all time imo.

Could you provide a team and an explanation?

:kyogre: :latios: :blissey: :forretress: :metagross: :deoxys-attack: (click for import)
This is basically the team I brought in UPL vs Isma with band metagross>rayquaza and a few set differences. Essentially the same team at its core, Kyogre lead, lati, bulky normal, forre, band/steel and a Stag Deo-a. Kyogre lead is my favorite lead with these evs as it lives anything m2 lead can do and nuke it with hydro and I really love rain teams like this over other archetypes. Lati is too good to pass up on as I opt'd for Latios for the more offensive variant being able to ice beam groudons because those can be a problem if they stick around. Blissey does Blissey things and I prefer wish>heal bell on this team because its won be a few games because of it and is great at pivoting into one of your steels or helping Kyogres longevity if needed. Forretress is straight forward I really hate having to deal with spikes and I like using earthquake on rain to catch Mags, you can add more attack to counterev them if you insist but this usually does the trick. Metagross the the band and a secondary steel which can potentially absorb a boom and help break through stuff with Deo-atk as last which is the best RK in the game and usually drops a few kills every game tbh. I feel spell tag is way common now and its harder to bait but its always possible, good "noob trap" I guess. Overall a very easy team to pilot and beginner friendly I would recommend it to anyone.

Personal Question: What got you into kpop and what would you rec someone?
A friend showed me Twice - Dance the night away long ago and I listened to it on my own one day and was curious so I clicked "fancy" by twice as I seen it on youtube, was no disappointed. The instrumental just gave me hella hiphop vibes so I was interested in it and loved the song. Still one of my fav kpop songs to this day and was a pretty "high bar" song to get into the genre with tbh. Idek what I would rec someone, kpop has so many styles as its really just an umbrella term. You have girl crush, rap, godly high notes, ballads, osts, chill, sad, rock, pretty much everything you could want.

Ask questions for Holy Ghost below!

Ara

Ara
1. What do you think of :peeta:?
2. Do you Stan Lona?
3. Do you listen to JPOP?
4. What degrees are you in Tagpro?
5. Thoughts on Yelonix?
6. iLa or Holy Gang?
7. Favorite Youngboy Song?
8. Why Is Yves the best Loona member?
9. Are you poggin?
10. Favorite Brawlhalla character?
11. Thoughts on Thea?
12. Favorite class on ROTMG
13. What face do you make when you get a whitebag?
14. Favorite Twice Song?

Last edited:

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
1. Are chickens awesome?
2. Tips for an improving player in USUM Ubers?
3. Why is your favorite Pokemon Deoxys-A?
4. Favorite Mega?
5. Favorite Pokemon by design?
6. What's your favorite song?
7. What are your suggestions for a player (like me) that likes to use niche/borderline unviable Pokemon?

Heey, how r u man, miss you sz
Real question:
Well, what you feel when you was, literally, a teacher pokemon on Tutoring (SM Ubers)?
Which players, who's the best, etc
Random question:
First thing to do when you came to Brazil

:]

byulharang

formerly Holy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
Hypothetically speaking, if you were a kpop model for 24 hours. What would you do?
Hit you up

what do you think of LE CHOUINAY :joy: ?

why is Manaphy the best user ?
Idk what it means but some quality users say it so its ok in my book
He has a good taste in women thats for sure

1. What do you think of :peeta:?
2. Do you Stan Lona?
3. Do you listen to JPOP?
4. What degrees are you in Tagpro?
5. Thoughts on Yelonix?
6. iLa or Holy Gang?
7. Favorite Youngboy Song?
8. Why Is Yves the best Loona member?
9. Are you poggin?
10. Favorite Brawlhalla character?
11. Thoughts on Thea?
12. Favorite class on ROTMG
13. What face do you make when you get a whitebag?
14. Favorite Twice Song?
1. Woat emote
2. Yes
3. Not that much but I love twices Japanese releases, &twice is golden album
4. 57
5. The slime
6. iLa 4L
7. 7. too many choices, depends how im feeling. I aint hiding, bring em out, cross me, no mentions, 338, black cloud, better man, thug alibi, war with us, dropout, gravity, up in blood, what I was taught, trappin, dedicated, dream, so long (from before I go mixtape and the unreleased with nle/bleu/jaydayoungan), moral, gangster fever, hypnotized, trap house, TTG, outside today, worth it, through the storm, akbar, yessir, all I want, list goes on
8. My favorite solo release and shes funny in variety shows. Her visual and dancing are also reasons.
9. Most of the time sure
10. Teros
11. :eyes: Mitt solskinn
12. Wizard
13. Depends on the dungeon and event god, also if im in VC with people. I dont get that excited especially if its a rock dragon but sometimes I get hyped.
14. Love Foolish I think for bsides. Fancy my favorite title track

Favorite food?
What do you think is the goal of humanity as a whole?
Do you think aliens are real?
If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
Why do you think ray is good in adv?
Do you think Iry is right about sun stall being the best team in adv?
How long do you see yourself playing pokemon?

byulharang

formerly Holy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
1. Are chickens awesome?
2. Tips for an improving player in USUM Ubers?
3. Why is your favorite Pokemon Deoxys-A?
4. Favorite Mega?
5. Favorite Pokemon by design?
6. What's your favorite song?
7. What are your suggestions for a player (like me) that likes to use niche/borderline unviable Pokemon?
1. I do love eating chicken yes, I was attacked by one when I was a little kid though for trying to pick up one of its chicks :psysad:
2. Practice by playing in room tours and just asking for games in chat. You could also ask for help in ubers discord and signup for usm tours here on smogon, I think the ladder was decently active last I checked. USM is a more skillbased meta IMO compared to other uber gens so youll need to practice. Im also down to help with USM though if you ever see me online.
3. Deoxys overall is super cool to me especially in the anime where it switches from form to form vs rayquaza. Like the lore behind it too and the aesthetic, very cool Pokemon. Also the goat in ADV and newer gens clicking psycho boost.
4. Mega Gengar I think
5. Deoxys-Attack, ho-oh or darkrai
6. I dont really have one
7. USM is your best bet then. If you have fun using them go for it but sometimes you wont get far if you overuse them (tour wise). I love using niche/borderline unviable pokemon though.

do you like chipotle
never had it we dont really eat mexican fast food but a friend tells me its horrible

Heey, how r u man, miss you sz
Real question:
Well, what you feel when you was, literally, a teacher pokemon on Tutoring (SM Ubers)?
Which players, who's the best, etc
Random question:
First thing to do when you came to Brazil

:]
im doing good bro hope you've been well too
It was a good experience for me, enjoyed all my tutees (you and rahelgamer), both good battlers. I really enjoy helping people so it was super fun for me.
Top 3 for me are Hack, Hyw, Pohjis in no specific order.
I dont know much about brazil but the environment and climate seem really good, maybe see that big christ statue I always see in movies?

Favorite food?
What do you think is the goal of humanity as a whole?
Do you think aliens are real?
If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
Why do you think ray is good in adv?
Do you think Iry is right about sun stall being the best team in adv?
How long do you see yourself playing pokemon?
Country fried steak
To get money and have fun I think
I think life somewhere out there is possible, I wouldnt say I believe or I dont believe though
Invisibility
I like it as the band slot user and it actually hits decently hard and does its job. Good heracross answer and offensive deo-a check with espeed, ive had some success with it so I can vouch for it not being terrible.
No I dont think iry is right about sun stall being the best in adv, I prefer kyogre lead teams or mewtwo boom teams.
No clue im pretty young so I think I still have a few years in me if I continue to find the game fun. Not a big fan of SS and I can only see the generations getting worse from here on out.

Cynara

Banned deucer.
1606226531085.png

1606226541758.png

1) Who is your favourite LOOΠΔ girl ? and why ?
2) What mexican dishes can you recommend me to try and cook ? any particular favourites ?
3) Favourite subjects / areas of study ? no plans at all ? Fwiw I tired several things, I have a degree in Biochem, several IT qualifications and i still don't rly have a clue what i want as a dream career or whatever. don't be afraid to try things !
4) Any hobbies outside of Video games ?
5) Thoughts on the Traffic light system ?
6) What is the worst tournament game you've played ? i.e such as a important series you got haxed out of or some loud opp who made your blood boil.

Raahel

MANO TENGO FE
is a Tiering Contributor
Hello holy how are you? I have some questions for you if you want to answer it

1) What is your favorite sport? (if you like them)
2) favorite pokemon in sm ubers?
3) favorite pokemon in ss ubers?
4) favorite video game outside of pokemon?

btw I remember the first time we had tutoring as if it were yesterday, thanks for everything you taught me c:

byulharang

formerly Holy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
1) Who is your favourite LOOΠΔ girl ? and why ?
2) What mexican dishes can you recommend me to try and cook ? any particular favourites ?
3) Favourite subjects / areas of study ? no plans at all ? Fwiw I tired several things, I have a degree in Biochem, several IT qualifications and i still don't rly have a clue what i want as a dream career or whatever. don't be afraid to try things !
4) Any hobbies outside of Video games ?
5) Thoughts on the Traffic light system ?
6) What is the worst tournament game you've played ? i.e such as a important series you got haxed out of or some loud opp who made your blood boil.
1. Yves is my favorite and has been since the start mainly because her solo song is a masterpiece. Its actually got me thru some tough times and whenever I hear it I just get a feeling idk how to explain, its so good. Made me fall in love with Loona. Her voice is also super satisfying and dance queen.
2. Hmm not really sure because I don't cook too many mexican dishes myself, my family does but maybe Pozole (like a soup) for a dinner dish, chorizo (meat) however you want to prepare it but we usually eat it in a tortilla for like breakfast/lunch and Tres leches cake (like sponge cake) for dessert. My favorite tho idk if it has a proper name but my friends mom makes it for us all the time its like refried beans spread on a mini tortilla as like a snack. Honorable mention to de la rosa candy, its like a soft peanut cookie thingy and its super good I love them (have to buy these though not homemade).
3. I really liked history but I dont see myself having a career in that. I will eventually find something I want to do though, maybe technology related or something I can be outside working on. Also ty, I need to use this advice more often.
4. Hanging with friends, music and basketball I guess are my main ones. I dont really watch stuff anymore except occasional youtube videos but I was suggested this anime called love is war so im watching that atm.
5. Never thought too much about it but when I was a kid I always used to think how tf they worked lmao, I know a lot of people that run red lights but I think they keep us safe for the most part. Ive been stuck up for long times somedays though so its w/e.
6. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ubers-380442 forget which UPL this was but it was lunalas vs durians finals pretty sure. I was benched all the way into finals and my first big tour game was in finals vs exiline of all people, I wasnt that comfy with the team and I was super nervous and I feel I played WAY too passive which led to me getting smashed. Easily the worst game I feel i've ever played in a tournament and I still watch it every now and then to remind myself to try not to play like that ever again.

Hello holy how are you? I have some questions for you if you want to answer it

1) What is your favorite sport? (if you like them)
2) favorite pokemon in sm ubers?
3) favorite pokemon in ss ubers?
4) favorite video game outside of pokemon?

btw I remember the first time we had tutoring as if it were yesterday, thanks for everything you taught me c:
Im doing alright hope you've been fine ! always
1. basketball, I grew up playing it so it stuck with me. I dont really watch it though just play. I like sports tho I grew up playing a lot of them
2. Mewtwo
3. Eternaus
4. of all time I think halo reach or skyrim, maybe pokemon sapphire.

yeah man time flies, makes me happy to hear that though ty man np <3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)