OU DPP OU creative and underrated sets

Byakko: could you explain the advantages of Sticky Barb Clefable > Flame Orb Clefable, and of Iron Ball Bronzong > Iron Ball Metagross? It seems to me that the slight advantages are mostly outshined by the noticable usefulness of burn and its attack drops, and the ability to switch in on Flygon and other Earthquake spam is lost with Iron Ball - I would assume you don't always get the chance to Trick quickly (or do you want to).

voyage

Banned deucer.
Byakko: could you explain the advantages of Sticky Barb Clefable > Flame Orb Clefable, and of Iron Ball Bronzong > Iron Ball Metagross? It seems to me that the slight advantages are mostly outshined by the noticable usefulness of burn and its attack drops, and the ability to switch in on Flygon and other Earthquake spam is lost with Iron Ball - I would assume you don't always get the chance to Trick quickly (or do you want to).
Well, it's true that Flame Orb Clefable may be more present and help against physical threats like Flygon or Scizor. Although the problem may be that things like Heatran / Nape or even Milotic fit him, and I do him a favor by increasing his defense. It is all I can say about the difference between one set and another. Each one has its good and negative things.

Here I find it a bit more complicated because I am aware that other users like Metagross can be more effective since it has a greater attack but with Zong you can look for the surprise factor pretending to be Lum Berry or anything. I think it is an equally viable set and that it equals or improves another. As an option it is fine since you can attract everything that is Rotom, Skarm even another Zong that is something that would be unthinkable with other versions.

Sorry I can't add much, I just saw this and found it interesting and wanted to contribute.

Well, it's true that Flame Orb Clefable may be more present and help against physical threats like Flygon or Scizor. Although the problem may be that things like Heatran / Nape or even Milotic fit him, and I do him a favor by increasing his defense. It is all I can say about the difference between one set and another. Each one has its good and negative things.

Here I find it a bit more complicated because I am aware that other users like Metagross can be more effective since it has a greater attack but with Zong you can look for the surprise factor pretending to be Lum Berry or anything. I think it is an equally viable set and that it equals or improves another. As an option it is fine since you can attract everything that is Rotom, Skarm even another Zong that is something that would be unthinkable with other versions.

Sorry I can't add much, I just saw this and found it interesting and wanted to contribute.
Of course, thank you for your contribution! They are interesting sets - juts wanted to know when you would use these over the other option.

hellpowna

beware of coco
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
by the way, one of my fav mon if not my fav ever, Lead champ came out in the early 2010(or so, I don't remember well) with an absurd success. we rly do not need to introduce/talk of Machamp greatness, since everyone know how frustrating is to fight him.
In the last few weeks, I had the opportunity to work on Machamp, so Im gonna introduce e Lead champ

REAL CHAMP (Machamp) @ Custap Berry
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 88 HP / 168 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Counter
- Dynamic Punch
- Ice Punch
- Payback

Ive tried this set lots of times (thanks everyone who helped me), trying to give the best spread.
Counter is an incredible move to use on Machamp; I've killed a tons of Metagross, Jirachi, Swampert. Also counter works perfectly with custap, which often give me the chance to hit hard at LEAST 2 mons(by killing one).
Players with lead gross tend to hit champ with mmash(coz of Lum Berry) and Counter kills him. Otherwise, player who sees counter, will switching out or explode over Machamp and you can switch on a ghost mon such as Rotom. Unfortunately, MMash not always guarantees to do more 74,9% to active the custap berry.
As well as for Jirachi; the scarf one will try to flinch you(he can only 3hkos you), and if you are not lucky enough, you can hit with dynami custap.
counter will not ohko jira, but it will put on the position to die the turn later if you have layers up.
Specially jirachi also does not kill machamp(max roll is 97% the timid one) enough for custap
Also cb Swampert won't never kill Machamp and it will be killed by counter
Here some interesting damages

252+ Atk Choice Band Swampert Earthquake vs. 88 HP / 0 Def Machamp: 288-340 (83.9 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 88 HP / 0 Def Machamp: 222-262 (64.7 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. 88 HP / 0 Def Machamp: 144-171 (41.9 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. 88 HP / 0 Def Machamp: 103-123 (30 - 35.8%) -- 35.4% chance to 3HKO

I would tell more about the set/how I made it, but I'm very bad in English and its hard to explain my feelings. I only want to tell you, u should try this set because its insanely good and it works perfectly :)
this set is still work in progress, so if you have any advices just feel free to contact me here, or on discord(hellpowna#0851). Always at disposal for improving dpp :)

thanks for reading

coco

Set:

Bronzong @ Iron Ball
Ability: Heatproof
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion
- Trick

Neat zong set that has good synergy with a dedicated physical offense core think (think Gyarados, Tyranitar, Metagross, Flygon). This gives you the avenues to slap both offense and defensive opposing builds. Trick Room lets you dominate opposing offense, just set up Trick Room with Bronzong, then spam something like CB Stone Edge with Tyranitar. Versus stallier builds, common answers to OTR zong include Zapdos, Skarmory and Rotom, all of which hate losing their ground immunity. Once tricked, these guys are way easier to break with strong offensive mons with EQ. Heatproof is an oft overlooked ability on zong, which i find quite useful for bluffing Heatrans and chunking them with explosion - breaking him is way easier after the boom.

Bonus squad to try him out:

NOTORIOUS (Empoleon) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 SpA / 28 SpD / 228 Spe
Mild Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hydro Pump
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Beam

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Gyarados @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake

Bronzong @ Iron Ball
Ability: Heatproof
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion
- Trick

Metagross @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch

Mesprit @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- U-turn / Thunder Wave / Stealth Rock

Pretty nice utility check to a lot of major threats on offense like DD Dragonite, DD Gyarados, and general pivoting purposes. Isn't exactly weak either and is deceptively bulky. U-turn in the last slot to retain momentum as I use this on offense / bulky offense (for which t wave is great too), and you obviously lure out Scizor, Heatran and Tyranitar a lot which can be taken advantage of by a lot of offensive mons via u-turn.

Reason I've used it is sometimes I have to default to Scarf Flygon or Scarf Latias as my catch all revenger / way of dealing with DD sweepers, so with this on the team it opens up the revenge killer slot somewhat.

Functions similar to Celebi around 2009-2010 era but with bolt beam coverage.

Just want to preface this by saying that I really appreciate this thread and I've been trying a bunch of these sets out and been having a blast. Thank you for sharing. Just to add to the discussion, I wanted to share some "for fun" sets I've messed around with. Love! -Jsaok

1602442186758.png

Gengar @ Wide Lens
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Hypnosis
- Will-O-Wisp

I really enjoy this set. I've played with it for a while now and the 77% from 70% difference in Focus Blast is very noticeable. But even better is the ability to use Hypnosis, if Gengar comes in on a favorable position it can have two chances at the 66% Hypnosis which makes me personally feel like I always can sleep something.

1602441743346.png

Medicham @ Iron Ball
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 18 Spe
- Ice Punch
- Fling
- High Jump Kick
- Thunder Punch

I have always felt like this could be a cool set, but Trick Room teams can be tricky to use haha. Basically Fling turns into a 130 BP Dark Move with Iron Ball nailing any ghost looking to ruin Medicham's day. In addition, Iron Ball halves Medicham's speed ensuring that it is slower than most walls in Dpp.

1602441962775.png

Latias (F) @ Flame Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Psycho Shift
- Dragon Pulse

I don't think I've made the right team with this but I think it's a neat idea with the right support. Basically you can transfer Sleep with Psycho Shift via Sleep Talk so pair Latias with Dugtrio and seek to annoy the opponent as much as possible.

1602442491095.png

Jynx (F) @ Wide Lens
Ability: Forewarn
Timid Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Blizzard

Kinda the same premise as Gengar but now the Sleep move is 82% accurate. She doesn't have the worst coverage or STABs either, Sometimes I'll even run Modest here for extra power. But if she can get in a position to Sleep something, this mon has decent breaking potential in OU.

1602443258402.png

Glaceon @ Bright Powder
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 248 HP / 212 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Fake Tears
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Substitute

I've used this in one of my tourney games but since I'll probably never do that again lol I wanted to share her set. Basically, I was looking at DPP and since Sand Veil is banned and I believe there is also a complex ban of Mamoswine + Snow Cloak, there's only two Mons (Froslass) that can abuse Brightpowder in DPP. Basically I pair her up with some Para support, get her in while hail is up, and try to break the opponents team. While I will say people miss OFTEN, it's understated how good Glaceon's defenses are. She's a little tanky with base 110 Defense and 95 Sp. Def despite having a mediocre base 65 HP stat.

mael

not the same but equal
is a Community Contributorwon the 14th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion
1602667428710.png

odonata (Flygon) @ Leftovers
EVs: 212 Atk / 80 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Fire Punch
- Screech

this set is inspired by tomahawks metal sound heatran and functions similarly. the idea is to force switches with screech as you now can suddenly do significant damage to most skarmory sets, clefables, swamperts and similar. screech + uturn does a great job at chipping swampert for example. generally this works best vs the slower teams but since flygon got good speed and somewhat of an attack stat you can also use it quite effectively vs some offense teams.

possible team constellations: generally it wants to have either spikes or a trapper (dug or ttar), maybe both. the dugtrio + flygon combination sounds a bit overkill, but it allows you to suicide screech into trapping clefable, when clef comes in on eq. spikes are good simply by how effectively this forces switches. it pairs very well with wish jirachi, because you get to receive wishes against many heatran sets as well as simply spreading paralysis. oftentimes you get into a situation against a fully physdef skarmory for example, where you manage to break it because jirachi paralysed it. tyranitar is useful for sand and because screech + pursuit works amazingly well for getting game changing chip damage on walls.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-516613 - this is the only tournament replay i have with this set, but i used it also in tons of friendlies. it works nicely.

hey guys heres weird set i want to share
duck.jpeg

duck (Cresselia) (F) @ Flame Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Psycho Shift
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Rest
i put burn orb and psycho shift to burn physical attackers and calm mind to boost spdef and sp attack, moonlight for recovery and ice beam for an attack
how to use it, use psycho shift to burn physical attackers, rest and use psycho shift for fire types like infernape and heatran and calm mind for sp attackers and ice beam for coverage, and rest for recovery.
but this set can lose to taunt user and blissey so be careful!
edit: i just found out psycho shift and sleep doesnt work so replace rest with moonlight be carfeul!

Last edited:

SFG

Snom is Fucking Great
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Hi there!

First of all, sry for the delay! I've been super busy with some IRL stuff recently. The archive is finally updated, thanks again for all your contributions! (the DPP interview will come back soon too). I also wanted to add a set I especially love to play:

Abomasnow @ Leftovers
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard​

For a long time, I've always seen Abomasnow as a cool defensive Pokemon, a nice water resist with Leech Seed with decent defensive stats. However, SD Abomasnow is probably one of my favorite Pokemon atm. Paired with Magnezone to deal with Skarmory / Jirachi / Bronzong / Scizor / the other Magnezone (and the steels in general), Abomasnow can be a real threat, especially if you're not prepared for it. Thanks to your natural bulk and typing, you can set a SD on Clefable, Swampert, Milotic, Suicune, Starmie, and you're no that easy to rk. You can put some EVs in speed, but I prefer 252 HP / 252 Atk since I think SD Abo is better in some paralysis based builds with bslam jirachi and twave magnezone. Thunder Wave Latias is an awesome partner too. SD Abomasnow is especially cool vs some fat / stall teams if you trap the steels and the eventual Rotom.

Here is a game I played with Marshall.Law with SD Abo! Tbh I builded the team super quickly some hours ago and I played it poorly, but it can gives you a good idea of the potential of SD Abo!

Thanks for reading, and have a nice day!

Howdy partners,

Gather around the campfire while i regale you with a pretty juicy bandTar tech.
Tyranitar (Pokémon) - The Pokemon Insurgence Wiki

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Giga Impact

Giga Impact is primarily used to get a big hit off on traditional Ttar checks like Breloom, Flygon and Swampert before being KO'd. With Tyranitar's great natural bulk and 220 speed, this set performs the same as a standard bandTar but is less useless against the mons mentioned above. DPP OU legend (who should absolutely be picked for SPL this year) the sprinkler attributes using this set to his longevity in the tier and metagame-defining prowess.

:blobuwu:

Last edited:

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Metal Sound
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Substitute

I wanted to share this set as now is the perfect timing to use it again. I built a couple of teams with this set a number of months ago, as it is amazing with hazard support to beat up on balance teams. However, it was quite hard to built a Dug-proof team with this, as Tyranitar/Jirachi/Skarmory are all perfect partners for this and having to Substitute always with Heatran is very limiting. Without Dug this thing is a threat.

This set can function very similar to a regular SubTran in games where that is needed, but in other games can beat up teams all on its own. There is very little on a regular balance team that likes to take on a Heatran at -2 SpDef, so with Stealth Rock + Spikes the residual damage can rack up quickly, and Substitute abuses switches just as well. Every switch also gives Heatran a round of Lefties recovery, not to be underestimated.

Here are some calcs vs common Heatran switchins on balance:
  • :tyranitar: 252 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. -2 48 HP / 184 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 220-260 (62.3 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • :clefable: 252 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. -2 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 202-238 (51.2 - 60.4%) -- 91.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • :milotic: 252 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. -2 252 HP / 0 SpD Milotic: 162-191 (41.1 - 48.4%) -- 72.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock, sandstorm damage, and Leftovers recovery
  • :latias: 252 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. -2 252 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 105-123 (28.8 - 33.7%) -- 1.4% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (Keep in mind that bulky Latias often runs no coverage and can't touch Heatran)
  • :suicune: 252 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. -2 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune: 175-206 (43.3 - 50.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, 1 layer of Spikes, and Leftovers recovery (-2 Earth Power + -1 Earth Power 2HKOes with Stealth Rock + 1 layer of Spikes + sand)
As for usage tips, this is a great Spikes abuser so Skarmory is a good partner, it appreciates sand residual to cancel the Lefties of bulky waters as well so Tyranitar is a good idea too.

Emeral

toward new horizons
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
It's been a while I have not posted on this thread so here are some cool sets that have integrated my builder in the past few months. Hope you guys appreciate and get inspired from this...

Calm Mind Toxic Suicune
suicune.png

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
-
Toxic
As offensive Suicune is not durable, especially with sand being omnipresent, it wants to be able to force as much damage as possible in a short amount of time. However, when Milotic is part of the party, it just feels unkillable and you are unable to make progress... This set remedies it with Toxic to put it on a clock. That way, Suicune is able to muscle through Milotic in a short amount of time and then can keep the sweep going. What is even more appealing is that if you can couple it with some kind of "Milotic being down" abusers the assault becomes deadly... Notably, I considered Kingdra, Swampert, Jirachi and Empoleon. Not to forget that this set remains a pure threat for frailer teams as Suicune remains Suicune... Credit to Sakito for this set.

Stealth Rock Toxic Swampert
swampert.jpg

Swampert @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Toxic

Similarly to Suicune, Toxic Swampert is able to completely nullify Milotic's walling ability. However, what makes it somewhat different is that it is also an excellent lure for Reflect Latias. If you guys actively play DPP, you must know how irritating it is to switch into this Latias when it starts to spread paralysis making your offensive threats look way less threatening. This Swampert completely shifts it by forcing this Latias out himself. I would recommend you pair it with adequate Breloom checks/counters (like the Uxie below for example :blobthumbsup:), a DDers check and the obvious Magnezone/Tyranitar are always welcome with Adamant Swampy.

Substitute Swords Dance Gliscor
gliscor.png

Gliscor @ Leftovers
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

SD Gliscor has to run Thunder Fang to be able to break through Skarmory. However, when you couple it with Magnezone, Thunder Fang is much less needed and you can afford to have room for a different last move. My idea on this set was to run Substitute because 1) it completely blanks Rest Talk Rotom 2) it allows Gliscor to set up on Jirachi that Magnezone can struggle against. The snowball effect is pretty huge once you get your Swords Dance behind a sub making this set a pleasant dismantling tool.

Stealth Rockless Support Uxie
uxie.jpg

Uxie @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Knock Off
-
Thunder Wave
Having Stealth Rock on lead Uxie can be underwhelming sometimes. The reasons are 1) it can have trouble at getting them up because of Taunt, Sleep Power and such 2) being cheaped during the lead phase means that it can struggle at keeping them up later. Not being overloaded with Stealth Rock means that Uxie can make full use of its defensive capabilities while using both Thunder Wave and Knock Off lets it not being passive in most scenarios. Other, it acts as a normal Uxie that supports the team with Thunder Wave, pivots on multiple types of hits (notably those from Breloom, Infernape or Swampert) and provides momentum with U-turn.

Modest Leftovers Empoleon
empoleon.jpg

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Protect / Roar

Just the standard support Empoleon but instead of maximizing SpeDef with a Calm Nature, this one goes Modest and retaliates like a truck. Leftovers Empoleon completely blanks Jirachi, but when it comes to punishing it (or any other threat that Empoleon walls thanks to its typing), Knock Off can be underwhelming sometimes. So again, not to be passive is the main purpose of this set. As long as you run it max HP and not on a stall team, Empoleon's natural bulk is usually satisfying enough to check stuff like Latias, Jirachi, Choice locked Tyranitar, defensive Heatran, Roserade etc.. and set up Stealth Rock reliably. That said, you may want to pair it with Spikes to make use of Roar.

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
1606182752747.png

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

With the departure of the (no) team preview moles, ddtar no longer has to worry about getting trapped at +1 after a kill, preventing its sweep. Additionally, the increased usage of heatran allows it more opportunities to set up, as it is one of the best heatran checks in the tier, so you can use it as an early game wallbreaker, bluffing scarf, cb, utility, etc and setting up and breaking down the opposing team for a cleaner. Or, if you prefer to actually sweep with it you can tool the team to wear down mons like pert that stand in its way rather than just chunking them for the rest of your team. Another really cool thing about ddtar is that it has a lot of flexibility in its moveset, being able to afford options like crunch, aqua tail, and fire punch for their respective targets. Similarly, its item is very versatile too, being able to utilize custap berry to surprise faster scarfers like flygon at low hp or resist berries like chople or shuca to both afford it more opportunities to set up or beat mons trying to stop its sweeps. I've really enjoyed toying around with sets and structures on this thing post dug and highly recommend trying it out if you haven't already.

Last edited:

voyage

Banned deucer.

Gastrodon @ Wise Glasses
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 172 HP / 84 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Double water ground. Some time ago I tried this BW version of Gastro and it works great. I wanted to get more potential especially on the special side since it has decent spa (311) + WG. I don't know if he improves his set with Curse but the surprise factor and not being so vulnerable is clear. It has a useful ability since it does not lose the support item to Trick / Knock off. I leave here some calcs.
252+ SpA Wise Glasses Gastrodon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 224+ SpD Jirachi: 206-246 (50.9 - 60.8%) -- 89.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Wise Glasses Gastrodon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 388-460 (100.5 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Wise Glasses Gastrodon Surf vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 260-308 (61.9 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Wise Glasses Gastrodon Earth Power vs. 48 HP / 184 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 158-188 (44.7 - 53.2%) -- 27.7% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Wise Glasses Gastrodon Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latias: 158-186 (52.4 - 61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Although it may not seem like it, it usually works in this generation. It is still viable.

Swampert @ Leftovers
EVs: 112 HP / 216 Atk / 100 SpA / 80 Spe
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Superpower

My favorite set or one of them from Pert (MixPert) What I like the most is how well it fits vs stall or things like Bliss / Clefa / Nido / Skarm. I have added Superpower on FPunch basically because I see it less risky since if you take damage you cannot hit. Perhaps the only counter is to lower defense and attack.

Last edited:

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
been playing around with a Toxic Support Clef (over twave) as a really nice way of spreading residual and also as a good answer to very scary zapdos who always seems to be a huge threat on paper to any teams I build. Clefable gets so many opportunities to spread tox and its lovely smacking bulky waters / rotom-a etc with poison. this is huge steels (namely jira) bait though so pairing with heatran or zone is the way forward. the problem is this is also turbo breloom and clefable bait. i wanted to try overcome this but also wanted a water resist so I have had a bit of joy pairing toxic clef with this boy below:

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 60 SpA / 100 SpD / 60 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Rest
- Worry Seed

this boy just laughs at breloom's main stabs and always 2hkos max hp with hp fire. worry seed suddenly makes clefable very seedable, take sand damage and start taking the toxic damage if it has hopefully been switched in as a tox absorber from your own clefable. the defence EVs always survive a bandtar edge from full and you will 2hko back with gk with rocks up and just take a bit of the sting off switching into a breloom focus punch or something. the rest is for max special bulk against stuff like cm clef. for some reason i appear to have speed creeped adamant 252 spe machamp, so i am sure the EVs could be optimised better. rest is slashed because i was trying out running aromatherapy on clef and it was actually pretty cool, as it made the venu more reliable if knocked / twaved by an opposing clef. beats a surprising amount of shit 1 on 1 but makes you completely useless against some stuff though so personal preference there. you still beat breloom as most are slow but if it subs on switch in that is a huge ballache and it certainly makes it more drawn out.

disclaimer that this may not actually be good but it has definitely been pretty fun to use

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 160 Def / 44 SpD
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Before Dugtrio got banned, Camerupt was an anti-metagame force to be reckoned with. The amount that it provided to the table was honestly astonishing. Right off the bat, it is a fantastic Zapdos answer, as its Ice- and Grass- coverage does not hit it super effectively; with the bulk it has, neither does very much to Camerupt either. Taking a step back though, before Dugtrio was banned, when thinking of some of the most dominant and oppressive Pokemon sets, the main ones that come to mind are WishTect Jirachi, CM Clef, Reflect Latias, and RestTalk Rotom. Camerupt matches up well against all 4 of these Pokemon. It completely walls RestTalk Rotom w/ Thunderbolt, it walls WishTect Jira, can threaten Clefable with Explosion (or even a different move...), and it's immune to paralysis from Latias while not being 2HKOed by Dragon Pulse. Fire-types are rare in DPP because almost all of them are SR weak, but Camerupt is not. Its typing alone gives it an extremely unique niche in the metagame, as it is a naturally fantastic Jirachi answer on an offensive team. Solid Rock is incredible (will show some calcs below), and this EV spread was designed with Dugtrio in mind, always living EQ and being able to switch into U-turn Zapdos without the fear of being swatted by Dugtrio.

In terms of the moveset, it can be played around with for sure. I experimented with Substitute (to set up on RT Rotom and other defensive mons), Howl (to beat CM Clef 1v1 and threaten Reflect Latias through the screen w/ boom), and Toxic to hit Latias and other nuisances like Milotic/Swampert/Suicune coming in. The EVs can also be shifted to some more offensive ones because Dugtrio is no longer around and Lava Plume can be replaced by Overheat or Fire Blast.

So now that Dugtrio's gone, is Camerupt worse? Maybe a bit because the common defensive structures we saw before have been slightly shaken up. Camerupt is definitely not without its flaws. It's slow as fuck, meaning Breloom can generate momentum off it and Swampert and other waters are let in too easily. In addition, the fact that it's a Ground-type that isn't so great vs Tyranitar makes it difficult to build with. When you build with this Pokemon, you want to have a great offensive Swampert backup, not be ttar weak, and you probably should have a solid plan vs loom. I liked pairing it with Pokemon like Gyarados, Empoleon, Bronzong, and Metagross, as it's a fantastic Electric-type answer and it shuts down a lot of these Pokemon's counters. The fact that Magnezone is really fucking good rn also helps camel bc it can easily get free turns off of it. It's not a bad rocker despite Starmie forcing it out, just have a plan for that. Although I've found Camerupt difficult to build with because of its cons, I really enjoyed messing around with it and maybe someone out there can find a really cool use for it. Ty to vay, Emeral, Sakito, DBC, and BKC for listening to me rant and theorymon about this shit lmao

0 SpA Latias Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 44 SpD Camerupt: 127-150 (37 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 44 SpD Solid Rock Camerupt: 289-342 (84.2 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 160 Def Solid Rock Camerupt: 289-342 (84.2 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 160 Def Solid Rock Camerupt: 244-289 (71.1 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Metagross Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 160 Def Solid Rock Camerupt: 202-238 (58.8 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Jirachi Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 44 SpD Solid Rock Camerupt: 114-135 (33.2 - 39.3%) -- 14.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Rotom-Wash Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 44 SpD Camerupt: 135-160 (39.3 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+6 4 SpA Clefable Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 44 SpD Camerupt: 286-336 (83.3 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Bronzong Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 160 Def Solid Rock Camerupt: 153-180 (44.6 - 52.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Latias Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 44 SpD Camerupt: 244-288 (71.1 - 83.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 160 Def Camerupt: 271-321 (79 - 93.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 160 Def Camerupt: 47-56 (13.7 - 16.3%) -- possibly the worst move ever
0 SpA Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 44 SpD Camerupt: 72-86 (20.9 - 25%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
56+ Atk Camerupt Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dugtrio: 216-255 (102.3 - 120.8%)

voyage

Banned deucer.

Jirachi @ Occa Berry.
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt / Grass Knot
- Hidden Power Ground

Jirachi is one of the best mon of dpp ou thanks to its versatility having a great repertoire of moves making it very complete and dangerous.
This is the classic superachi cm set sacrificing that extra life with Left for Occa Berry. It is a great support to better fit your main Nape and Tran / Zone threats hitting with Psychic or Hp Ground. CM is critical to that extra boost in power. TBolt for Gyarados mainly and other bulky waters.
DD shuca Ttar is a cool teammate to this version of rachi among others like Trick Star / DDGyara.

Last edited:

Bronzong @ Lagging Tail
- Trick
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Protect / Explosion

So this is a Bronzong that I recently came up with, and I think it has quite a bit of utility. This kind of Zong can fit on an offensive team or a defensive team.

Offensive teams can be weak to Wish Protect Jirachi, and most Jirachis tend to stay in vs Bronzong if it isn't carrying leftovers. By tricking lagging tail on Jirachi, not only do you take away its leftovers, but you make sure that it always moves last within its priority bracket. The difference between an item like this and Macho Brace is that while in both scenarios Jirachi's speed is crippled, a Macho Brace Jirachi can still outspeed certain mons if it can spread paralysis, whereas Lagging Tail ensures that Jirachi will move last even if it manages to spread paralysis. This set will require a bit of prediction against Wish Protect Jirachi because you don't want Jirachi to scout for the Trick when it uses Protect.

The other utility with this Zong is when you face a last minute DD'er or a set-up steel type like Metagross or SD Lucario. Against a DD'er like Dnite or Gyarados, you may be forced to explode in order to prevent a potential sweep, but this set prevents you from needing to explode. By choosing Lagging Tail over an item like Macho Brace, you still retain the intended power of Gyro Ball since Lagging Tail doesn't affect a pokemon's speed whereas Macho Brace does. Having Lagging Tail also helps against something like Agility Metagross or SD Lucario when Bronzong's health is in the low range such that it cannot take on Metagross or Lucario 1v1.

On a defensive team, I would recommend having Protect and of course being of the bulkier variant. Some cheese teams rely on using Magnet Rise Magnezone to trap Zong to let a certain pokemon sweep, and with Lagging Tail + Protect, you can stall out the Magnet Rise turns such that their Magnezone then becomes unable to trap you.

I haven't used it in practice or built any team around it, but on paper it seems cool, so I hope you guys can give it a try and maybe share replays to see how it does.

Alright here we go

Camerupt @ Choice Specs
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Explosion

So I had seen the Excal Camerupt set, and decided to give it a try. I was surprised to find out that it was actually quite effective and fun, But then I thought, let’s make it more fun.

Camerupt is surprisingly powerful with specs and gets opportunities to get off a hit more than you might think. With a bit of good prediction you can do some crazy things. Like OHKOing Heatran with stab Earth Power, or OHKOing offensive Swampert on the switch with HP grass clean.

Even if your opponent has a Blissey or Clefable you have access to boom, meaning after they’ve revealed Blissey or Clef you can remove it.

Max HP or close to it is also surprisingly bulky living more hits than you’d probably expect.

Also I just want to add that I’m not the most well versed DPP player, as I come from RBY, But I love the metagame and had a lot of fun using this set. I wanted to leave it here for anyone else who might want to give it a try:)

Calcs: 180+ SpA Choice Specs Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 240 HP / 76 SpD Jirachi: 482-570 (120.1 - 142.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

180+ SpA Choice Specs Camerupt Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Shuca Berry Heatran: 372-440 (96.3 - 113.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

180+ SpA Choice Specs Camerupt Hidden Power Grass vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 448-528 (111.7 - 131.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

180+ SpA Choice Specs Camerupt Earth Power vs. 48 HP / 184 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 218-260 (61.7 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

180+ SpA Choice Specs Camerupt Hidden Power Grass vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Starmie: 232-274 (88.8 - 104.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

0 Atk Camerupt Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 646-761 (90.4 - 106.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

As you can see, the camel is very strong. however it’s still a Camerupt, so take this with a grain of salt.

Hope you enjoy!

Last edited:
Hoping to revive this thread a bit with a fun set I faced on the ladder vs neatori a few weeks back.

Neat brought their Mamoswine in on my Clefable, after which I switched to Skarmory on an EQ. Thinking I had a free turn, I proceed to click Whirlwind only to lose my item for essentially nothing in return.

1613594263980.png

Mamoswine @ Expert Belt/Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Superpower/Stone Edge/Stealth Rock

Mamoswine is a fun anti-meta pick that matches up well versus balanced and offensive teams alike. However, it is hard walled by common defensive Pokémon like Skarmory, Bronzong and Bulky Rotom forms. This is where Knock Off Mamo shines, as in the context of a longer battle these Pokémon really don't appreciate losing their item. At the moment, the most common Knock Off users in the tier are Clefable and Gengar, neither of which get good opportunities to freely click Knock versus Skarm/Zong/Insert Mamo Counter/etc. Mamoswine benefits from being SO hard walled by its counters that clicking knock on one of them is usually quite free, as 99 times out of 100 your opponent will not expect you to stay in, and assume they have a free turn to do anything other than attack Mamoswine while it removes their item.

Last edited:

hellpowna

beware of coco
Hi guys, how's going?its been a while I did not come here. Hope your life is getting well and you and your family stay well!
want to share something I made few months ago, but due my poor availability, never had the time to share it!
First, just want to thanks Jsaok for his time. it was really enjoyable to share and create something innovative with you, I felt totally inspired from you by creating this set/core since you often give me many ideas. always love the way you propose new stuff, so let me thank you a lot for this :)
this idea came from by seeing jsaok playing with a gravity team. I was shocked how this can be frustrating for the opp being hurt by entry hazards.
in the modern metagame bulky pseudo stall/defensive team are more often than ever, this happened when "clefable's era" came, so wanted to try something innovative which can help me beating common teams and common cores

I found this:

the rare artist (Metagross) @ Lum Berry / Shuca Berry
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Gravity
- Meteor Mash
- Explosion

gravity on metagross what the hell is this?
how many times you felt "o fuck, zong/skarmory let me explode then ", or "rotom, damn no way, he's gonna beat me"
This set helps to not being walled from these defensive mons you often find when your opp brings his solid bulky teams.
Lum or Shuca its up to you! if you are facing a player who tends to play offense, id suggest shuca berry, otherwise if your opp tends to play defensive, Lum berry is recommended. this because your opp will tend to burn you with his rotom.
Not only! gravity will let you to hit hard everything(zapdos in particular) and gravity with hazards will make lots of pressure opp's team
Then I realized, this was not enough to make enough pressure, so then I thought of her

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Thunderbolt
- Draco Meteor
- Outrage

are you looking for a good clef-jira-ttar lure with great typing and move pool???
here we go, welcome to Latias world!
how many times your opp will send out his specially def passhottar/jirachi to check your latias?
always.
i don't remember the damages, but this latias only need one layer of spikes and sr to do a lot to her common checks.
this set also 2ohkes every clefable sets for..

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Rain Dance
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse / Surf

if you ask me : coco whats your most used mon(not including lucario)?
I will always tell you kingdra.
we do not have so much to say about kingdra greatness. once ttar can't set sand anymore, once his check are enough weak, kingdra became the best cleaner of the tier.

this an example of the team I made few months which worked perfectly in ladder and made me win tons of games

https://pokepast.es/daa0a7024e321ed3

last was lucario, but you can use sd scizor/specs mie/something that can make pressure

well, I would like to say more, but as you well know my English is very poor. Even if I do no have time to play this tier, I always follow the dpp community and never lost the creativity. Hope you can have the pleasure to try this metagross and this core, because its very powerful.
Last but not least, do not forget to never give up and stay strong. once coronavirus will be end we will start living our life as we are used to do!
stay healthy and thanks for reading

Last edited:
Hi guys, how's going?its been a while I did not come here. Hope your life is getting well and you and your family stay well!
want to share something I made few months ago, but due my poor availability, never had the time to share it!
First, just want to thanks Jsaok for his time. it was really enjoyable to share and create something innovative with you, I felt totally inspired from you by creating this set/core since you often give me many ideas. always love the way you propose new stuff, so let me thank you a lot for this :)
this idea came from by seeing jsaok playing with a gravity team. I was shocked how this can be frustrating for the opp being hurt by entry hazards.
in the modern metagame bulky pseudo stall/defensive team are more often than ever, this happened when "clefable's era" came, so wanted to try something innovative which can help me beating common teams and common cores

I found this:

the rare artist (Metagross) @ Lum Berry / Shuca Berry
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Gravity
- Meteor Mash
- Explosion

gravity on metagross what the hell is this?
how many times you felt "o fuck, zong/skarmory let me explode then ", or "rotom, damn no way, he's gonna beat me"
This set helps to not being walled from these defensive mons you often find when your opp brings his solid bulky teams.
Lum or Shuca its up to you! if you are facing a player who tends to play offense, id suggest shuca berry, otherwise if your opp tends to play defensive, Lum berry is recommended. this because your opp will tend to burn you with his rotom.
Not only! gravity will let you to hit hard everything(zapdos in particular) and gravity with hazards will make lots of pressure opp's team
Then I realized, this was not enough to make enough pressure, so then I thought of her
Fuck yeah, some awesome sets. Wanted to comment on that metagross because I was thinking of using gravity + agility which I remembered from a game I think it was you or someone else back in 2016 with agility gravity metagross / CB or scarf Flygon / Gravity Uxie iirc. Very entertaining game, and when I saw that set I was like oh shit.

hellpowna

beware of coco
Fuck yeah, some awesome sets. Wanted to comment on that metagross because I was thinking of using gravity + agility which I remembered from a game I think it was you or someone else back in 2016 with agility gravity metagross / CB or scarf Flygon / Gravity Uxie iirc. Very entertaining game, and when I saw that set I was like oh shit.
It was probably me ahahah, because I’ve built a gravity team with uxie/gon/gross. Hope we can play again :psyglad:

Primeape @ Choice Band / Choice Scarf
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
Any of the two: Thunder Punch, Ice Punch (these two usually), others: Focus Punch, Seed Bomb, Stone Edge

Credit to Terry Kloak on Showdown, he's the one I saw use this like 4 weeks back with a Camerupt no less lol, always has fire teams. (if someone invented this even before that- then credit to them; there's only 400+ mons in the game so I'm sure someone else has tried this)

Bit of a fun set, but after using it myself a bunch and seeing it pop up here and there thought I'd say a few words. Everybody knows how popular sleep always is thanks to Roserade and Breloom, and while he can't counter any of them per se you can absorb the sleep move and then launch off a CC or preserve momentum with U-turn which is always appreciated so he's definitely not useless outside of the Vital Spirit niche.

Honchkrow is the other ability gifted sleep absorber but unlike him Primeape isn't weak to rocks, is perfectly viable without LO and it's recoil, and doesn't have a self damaging move like Brave Bird so he's built to last longer and still pose a threat with his STAB while still being able to take out / greatly damage most of the offensive fighting resists with his other 3 moves.

I use him with the obvious ghost check like Ttar or Heatran which synergize well with him and love U-turn support.

Zone support is obviously helpful to get rid of skarm but not completely necessary since he does a shit ton to all the other steels.

I personally prefer the added power of Adamant, but since he sits at 95, Jolly is obviously the advisable nature to tie with max speed Gliscor and outspeed Timid max Roserade.

Competition with CB Infernape obviously, very very similar, Primeape has the higher attack and superior ability when not at =<25% health but is slower than Rachi and friends at base 100, both are twigs defensively as well.

edit: I've also thought about using him in the lead slot with Scarf but idk never tested it yet.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)