Unpopular opinions

I mostly heard theories about the champion cup being rigged and corrupt and it was...half true? Rose was predictably the villain of the story but not for the reasons I was expecting, and apparently the previous chairman DID rig the tournaments, so Mustard dropped the champion title.

I follow a youtuber that said the highly competitive setting had huge potential with the corruption storyline. Rose, after all, has all the power, technology, companies at his disposal, and is highly beloved by the masses; all of this puts his in a very dangerous position. And Team Yell, like the people above said, could have acted like actual roadblocks for other contestants, which could tie in to the main story and possible rigged tournaments.

I don't really like mega evolution.

It's not a terrible concept, but it was horribly implemented. GF gave mega's to all the wrong Pokemon, most notably the pseudo-legendaries. Mega's like Beedrill, Glalie and, Mawile are actually kinda cool, but because you can only have one on your team, they are completely overshadowed by all these incredibly overpowered mega's. I haven't played through X and Y fully, so correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the bosses in XY don't even use a mega. I also dislike how every mega needs its own stone, because it creates this massive item bloat. I think that's one of the main reasons why we haven't seen mega's since ORAS.

I'm putting this in unpopular opinions because I think mega evolution is actually quite popular. However, I also feel like many people only started liking mega's after the introduction of z-moves and especially dynamax.

I'm putting this in unpopular opinions because I think mega evolution is actually quite popular. However, I also feel like many people only started liking mega's after the introduction of z-moves and especially dynamax.
Well in same way people only liked Z-moves after they were gone in SwSh, and in same way people will suddently like Dynamax after hating it for 2 years once gen 9 removes it.

Fandoms are a mistake.

Well in same way people only liked Z-moves after they were gone in SwSh, and in same way people will suddently like Dynamax after hating it for 2 years once gen 9 removes it.

Fandoms are a mistake.
I've heard more people shit on Z-moves now than I ever did in Gen 7. The only time they're brought up and not shit on is when saying "at least they weren't as bad as Dynamax".

RE: Generational gimmicks: This isn't even unpopular, but I don't like any of the "super mode" gimmicks. They're, well, gimmicks and really kind of cancer. Wish they never existed. Gamefreak, stick to stat buffs and such when it comes to buffing less viable Mons. I actually like that one.

One gimmick I do like though are the regional forms. Nice to see different takes on existing Pokemon (even if they tend to just "fix" them). As much as I shit on SwiSh, I do like that they continued that gimmick. Hope it continues into future Gens.

I don’t know how popular of an opinion is since I don’t see it brought up much, but while watching some videos about people's predictions for the 25th anniversary I saw a certain Poketuber bring it up and he seemed really serious about it and I think there are way too many ways it can go wrong.
I don’t want any more of the Gen 3 and prior type distributions. In a country and time period where physical Toys R Us and Gamestop are barely clinging on to dear life it just doesn’t seem fun to me. He said it would be cool if they had a special Mythical Pokemon for the 25th anniversary that was distributed this way so kids could see how people who were born in the 80s/90s got Mythical Pokemon. Combine technology being easier to access in rural areas so kids from there would know about the event but couldn’t easily reach it, brick-and-mortar toy stores being hard to find even in urban areas, and kids not being able to drive, and I just think in-person Mythical distributions are one of those things Pokemon just shouldn’t go back to, like HMs and single-use TMs (At least the SwSh system lets you get another TR infinite times in one playthrough if you run out)
His other idea was the Pokemon was released to the general public about a year from now in the “normal” way like Zarude but in February they’d have a contest so only 1,000 or so people could get it in spring/summer but then everyone would be able to have it. With cloning and hacking becoming so common, I don’t think the Mythical Pokemon would feel “special.” And considering what happened with Mario’s 35th anniversary and FE1, people would accuse Game Freak of triggering that FOMO feeling to pressure people into doing the event, even if it was free to sign up. The Poketuber pointed out that since SwSh had so much controversy even compared to Gens 5-7 which are slowly being vindicated by history and 2020 was their first off year since 2015 so they have extra time for whatever they have planned for the 25th anniversary, this is their big chance to win back people who disliked SwSh and to me doing an event like this is too risky. It’s just too easy for it to cause another controversy and if it happened and caused a controversy, it should have been avoided.

I don’t know how popular of an opinion is since I don’t see it brought up much, but while watching some videos about people's predictions for the 25th anniversary I saw a certain Poketuber bring it up and he seemed really serious about it and I think there are way too many ways it can go wrong.
I don’t want any more of the Gen 3 and prior type distributions. In a country and time period where physical Toys R Us and Gamestop are barely clinging on to dear life it just doesn’t seem fun to me. He said it would be cool if they had a special Mythical Pokemon for the 25th anniversary that was distributed this way so kids could see how people who were born in the 80s/90s got Mythical Pokemon. Combine technology being easier to access in rural areas so kids from there would know about the event but couldn’t easily reach it, brick-and-mortar toy stores being hard to find even in urban areas, and kids not being able to drive, and I just think in-person Mythical distributions are one of those things Pokemon just shouldn’t go back to, like HMs and single-use TMs (At least the SwSh system lets you get another TR infinite times in one playthrough if you run out)
His other idea was the Pokemon was released to the general public about a year from now in the “normal” way like Zarude but in February they’d have a contest so only 1,000 or so people could get it in spring/summer but then everyone would be able to have it. With cloning and hacking becoming so common, I don’t think the Mythical Pokemon would feel “special.” And considering what happened with Mario’s 35th anniversary and FE1, people would accuse Game Freak of triggering that FOMO feeling to pressure people into doing the event, even if it was free to sign up. The Poketuber pointed out that since SwSh had so much controversy even compared to Gens 5-7 which are slowly being vindicated by history and 2020 was their first off year since 2015 so they have extra time for whatever they have planned for the 25th anniversary, this is their big chance to win back people who disliked SwSh and to me doing an event like this is too risky. It’s just too easy for it to cause another controversy and if it happened and caused a controversy, it should have been avoided.
Just make them online code events like the Hat Pikachu. Simple and global.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Many Mythical Pokemon lose their "specialness" as soon as the next gen comes out as many don't really have that strong of a reason to stay Mythical. They can delist Deoxys, Manaphy, Darkrai, Keldeo, Genesect, Hoopa, Volcanion, Zeraora & Meltan/Melmetal from Mythical to Legendary and no one would bat an eye. Now I do think there should be some Mythicals kept like Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Meloetta, Diancie, Magearna, & Marhadow as they have some connection to their region be it lore or meta-wise (and thus have them to use for future events). Meanwhile, for the now de-listed Mythical, give them out as a catchable Legendary in the next game (heck, maybe do that at least once with every Mythical so that those who missed out on getting it the first time aren't SOL until the next Event that comes to their neck of the woods).

Many Mythical Pokemon lose their "specialness" as soon as the next gen comes out as many don't really have that strong of a reason to stay Mythical. They can delist Deoxys, Manaphy, Darkrai, Keldeo, Genesect, Hoopa, Volcanion, Zeraora & Meltan/Melmetal from Mythical to Legendary and no one would bat an eye.
Speaking of Mythicals and Legendaries...
I never cared about the distinction. I always call all of them Legendaries. :mehowth:

I always thought only the small cutesy 'legendaries' like Celebi and Victini were mythicals. Color me surprised when I learned Arceus is a mythical.

Also, why is Keldeo a mythical when the other swords of justice aren't? Is that like... the point, or am I just missing something?

I always thought only the small cutesy 'legendaries' like Celebi and Victini were mythicals. Color me surprised when I learned Arceus is a mythical.

Also, why is Keldeo a mythical when the other swords of justice aren't? Is that like... the point, or am I just missing something?
Keldeo is a mythical because while the other swords were catchable in-game, Keldeo has been event exclusive up until Crown Tundra. It's also differentiated from the other swords in the lore by being a new recruit.

The "Mythical" tag is exclusively related to how they are obtained. If they needed an event to be obtained for the first time, they are Mythicals.

(The only ambiguous case would be the Zorua line, that being said)

Okay, that's just stupid. It's such a pointless distinction, I don't get it.

Come to think of it, I think the Mythicals are extremely underutilized in the games. I guess that's kind of the reason they are even called mythical in the first place, but why does it have to be that way? A lot of these mythicals have really cool lore that would make for amazing sidequest in the games. Instead they are relegated to stupid, often exclusionary event giveaways that make the games very dated.

Mythicals are stupid.

Okay, that's just stupid. It's such a pointless distinction, I don't get it.

Come to think of it, I think the Mythicals are extremely underutilized in the games. I guess that's kind of the reason they are even called mythical in the first place, but why does it have to be that way? A lot of these mythicals have really cool lore that would make for amazing sidequest in the games. Instead they are relegated to stupid, often exclusionary event giveaways that make the games very dated.

Mythicals are stupid.
I used to think Arceus and Darkrai were both Myphical and Legendary. But I guess that's not the case.
I don't like that there are so many of them. GF should demote some of them permanently, and not just for 1 game.

Speaking of Mythicals and Legendaries...
I never cared about the distinction. I always call all of them Legendaries. :mehowth:
I used to always call them event Legendaries. I really only call them Mythicals at all these days because everyone else does.

Bold of you guys to assume GameFreaks (or TPCI for what matters) would ever change the status of the Pokemon they use as merchandise advertising.

Not even wishlisting, straight up delusion there.
One could hope that Gamefreak and TCP would stop being so stupid, but that's too much to ask.

Kind of weird suggestion, but I feel like it would be cool for bug to take neutral damage from fire, and be weak against ice. I feel like the fire weakness is because of how small they are, with the whole ants/magnifying glass situation. But a lot of the bug Pokémon can be pretty regular-sized. I think I’ve would be better because (at least i think) all terrestrial arthropods are cold-blooded, but I might have to fact check that. There aren’t exactly many bugs in winter. I mean, heck, some of them even migrate hundreds of miles to get away
from the cold.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Kind of weird suggestion, but I feel like it would be cool for bug to take neutral damage from fire, and be weak against ice. I feel like the fire weakness is because of how small they are, with the whole ants/magnifying glass situation. But a lot of the bug Pokémon can be pretty regular-sized. I think I’ve would be better because (at least i think) all terrestrial arthropods are cold-blooded, but I might have to fact check that. There aren’t exactly many bugs in winter. I mean, heck, some of them even migrate hundreds of miles to get away
from the cold.
Well if they ever made a Bug/Dragon it would exactly be that (plus some other stuff).

Many Mythical Pokemon lose their "specialness" as soon as the next gen comes out as many don't really have that strong of a reason to stay Mythical.
this is what happens when mythicals specifically exist to promote sell movie tickets instead of contributing lore to the games and/or region. Their "specialness" is directly tied to their advertising. What does Zeraora do in its movie that any strong electric-type couldn’t? What’s the bet that Zarude functions identically to a re-skinned Simisage?

Last edited:
One could hope that Gamefreak and TCP would stop being so stupid, but that's too much to ask.
See, here's the thing: they aren't.

We're stupid for thinking that it's reasonable to ""derarify"" a marketing content.
They get money from those since the only way to obtain them is via events, which occasionally are public for everyone, but more often than not require you to go somewhere, and no company that's sane gives up money for no reason.
Even something as harmless as "sign to a newsletter" or "visit gamestop to get a code" is profitting, the newsletter gives them access to your e-mail + potential other personal data for statistics and advertising (as well as, potentially, inducing you in buying something from the newsletters in future), and visiting a shop can get you to buy something from that shop for no other reason than noticing it and thinking you want it, which you wouldn't have done if you hadn't visited (this is why shops do those sort of event-partnerships for no apparent gain btw).

Most of the time we (as humans) wish for <insert company that sells something> would give it out for free, we forget they don't exactly make stuff for charity, they do it for money, both because that's the whole point of marketing, and because money is what allows the company to get running, keep expanding and keep making products.

TLDR: It would be *illogical* for GF/TPCI to declassify mythicals when they are a source of income. In same way it was illogical to demand them to have Pokemon Home for free, or asking Nintendo to not ask for a fee for NSO.
(Feel free to shoot me now)

See, here's the thing: they aren't.

We're stupid for thinking that it's reasonable to ""derarify"" a marketing content.
They get money from those since the only way to obtain them is via events, which occasionally are public for everyone, but more often than not require you to go somewhere, and no company that's sane gives up money for no reason.
Even something as harmless as "sign to a newsletter" or "visit gamestop to get a code" is profitting, the newsletter gives them access to your e-mail + potential other personal data for statistics and advertising (as well as, potentially, inducing you in buying something from the newsletters in future), and visiting a shop can get you to buy something from that shop for no other reason than noticing it and thinking you want it, which you wouldn't have done if you hadn't visited (this is why shops do those sort of event-partnerships for no apparent gain btw).

Most of the time we (as humans) wish for <insert company that sells something> would give it out for free, we forget they don't exactly make stuff for charity, they do it for money, both because that's the whole point of marketing, and because money is what allows the company to get running, keep expanding and keep making products.

TLDR: It would be *illogical* for GF/TPCI to declassify mythicals when they are a source of income. In same way it was illogical to demand them to have Pokemon Home for free, or asking Nintendo to not ask for a fee for NSO.
(Feel free to shoot me now)
Except they already have derarified a few mythicals. They're still classified as mythicals for some reason, but Keldeo and Deoxys are both available to catch without an event. It don't really mind mythicals as a concept, but if you're gonna make something catchable, don't pretend it isn't and block it from VGC and stuff.

And I've noticed a trend with your posts, where you seem constantly adamant on making sure people are okay with paying for poor things services Pokemon and Nintendo have offered for free in the past at higher quality, but that discussion is outside the scope of this forum. Maybe I'm misreading you, but if I'm not, here's something I think you'd enjoy.
1059376.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 9)