Random Battles Team Tournament 4: Semi-Finals

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Welcome to the semifinal round of the Random Battles Team Tournament! Over the past several weeks, these remaining teams have proven themselves as the best, but there can only be one winning team. So, we advance to playoffs, where losing means elimination!

Tournament Rules
  • The tournament will consist of 8 teams battling it out in a Round Robin format over seven weeks; after that, the four best teams overall will move onto playoffs.
  • Each series will be played as a Best of 3. CAP 1v1 will be a best of 5.
  • Matches are to be played on Pokémon Showdown.
  • Do not make baseless activity posts, get in contact with your opponent and report missed times / scheduling issues only.
  • Replays of the matches must be posted to verify a win; if replays are not posted, the match doesn't count.
General Tournament Rules
  • Scheduling: Attempt to contact your opponent by posting on their smogon profile as soon as possible. It is strongly advised to schedule publicly there on Smogon so the host can make any necessary activity calls. If you cannot get in contact with your opponent, inform the host in this thread so we can make any necessary substitution. If you have made no visible contact, the host may substitute you out for another player.
  • Timer Clause and Disconnections: The timer is not required to be on during games; however, if the timer is on and a player runs out of time, their opponent wins the game via timeout. If a player disconnects and thus times out, this also counts as a loss for the player who disconnected.
  • Don't ghost.
View RBTT4 Tournament Standings

Semifinals

Kyogre (7) vs Lugia (4)
Gen 8 Random Battle: odr vs Delta 2777
Gen 8 Random Battle: chemcoop vs Aquaa
Gen 7 Random Battle: GaryAjax vs Algeria
Gen 5 Random Battle: ajhockeystar vs Roseybear
Gen 4 Random Battle: bugzinator vs Piapia
Gen 3 Random Battle: Roginald vs Ereshkigal
Gen 8 Monotype Random Battle: Anthonyy23 vs Havens
Gen 8 Hackmons Cup: TheCoastsOfToast vs Zephyr Dragon Lord
Gen 8 Random Doubles Battle: Memoric vs Ninjadog
Gen 7 Battle Factory: TJ vs trace
Gen 7 BSS Factory: Z Strats vs Andy Snype
CAP 1v1: Andyboy vs a fruitshop owner

Galarian Zapdos (7) vs Hoopa (5)
Gen 8 Random Battle: Prosaic vs Panty&Stockings
CAP 1v1: Forsh vs bill1
Gen 8 Random Battle: BoRida vs Zap
Gen 7 Random Battle: apologies vs Betathunder
Gen 5 Random Battle: mc56556 vs TheFranklin
Gen 4 Random Battle: Jytcampbell vs Celever
Gen 3 Random Battle: xGang vs Glop
Gen 8 Monotype Random Battle: maroon vs PA
Gen 8 Hackmons Cup: lvl100Blaziken vs platinumCheesecake
Gen 8 Random Doubles Battle: LoSconosciuto vs snorlax142857
Gen 7 Battle Factory: ORAS-Mega vs temp
Gen 7 BSS Factory: Lambovino vs soTsoT

The deadline for this week is Sunday, February 28, at 11:59 PM GMT -6.

Last edited:
Not predictions:
Gen 8 Random Battle: odr vs Delta 2777 - planes shouldn't take off during rain...
Gen 8 Random Battle: chemcoop vs Aquaa - now that a supposed joke blade (according to cake) ended Aqua's winstreak, they'll never bring it back
Gen 7 Random Battle: GaryAjax vs Algeria - ... or it seems like Algeria's dry climate will end Kyogre's rain
Gen 5 Random Battle: ajhockeystar vs Roseybear - bears don't play hockey (unless they do. shh)
Gen 4 Random Battle: bugzinator vs Piapia - most bugs are bad (unless one starts quiver dancing on you)
Gen 3 Random Battle: Roginald vs Ereshkigal - Rogi hasn't won a week after returning to Gen3 from SSB, hmm
Gen 8 Monotype Random Battle: Anthonyy23 vs Havens - Monotype matchups are not a safe haven
Gen 8 Hackmons Cup: TheCoastsOfToast vs Zephyr Dragon Lord - Coasts will coast along Misty Terrain which weakens dragon
Gen 8 Random Doubles Battle: Memoric vs Ninjadog - bork?
Gen 7 Battle Factory: TJ vs trace - Mega Alakazam will trace Swift Swim and reverse sweep
Gen 7 BSS Factory: Z Strats vs Andy Snype - will win via good use of Z moves, what did you expect
CAP 1v1: Andyboy vs a fruitshop owner - meme tier, but I want to see a tiebreaker so I had to have this end
whereupon the first seed kyogres win 2-1 anyway. oops

hoop hoop, but gl all with Week 6 rematch and rng will no longer turn 5-2 leads into 5-7

Fragments

Bound to burn
is a Tiering Contributor
RBTT Champion
Lazy predicts instead of doing my work due tomorrow wooo (and by lazy I mean these are actually my most serious predicts this season kek)

odr vs delta - odr hasn't had the best season but this is playoffs odr, one does not simply beat playoffs odr
chemcoop vs Aqua - even tho blade broke the streak Aqua is still one of the best no doubt and I can't bet against him here
Gary vs Algeria - Gary is an rbtt hero he always delivers
ajhockeystar vs Roseybear - love AJ but Rosey is just so good on gen 5
bugzinator vs pia - bugzi hasn't been able to replicate his rbtt3 performance but he still is unquestionably a very strong player
Roginald vs Ereshkigal - With a decent matchup Rogi is lowkey a gen 3 fiend
Anthony vs Havens - Anthony is another good friend but I think Havens has just been more consistent
TheCoastsOfToast vs Zephyr Dragon Lord - tcot will get lucked, literally the only reason I have zdl here
Memoric vs Ninjadog - Memoric is actually insane on dubs like holy hell
TJ vs trace - both very good bf players but I think trace has been more consistent
Z Strats vs Andy Snype - Z Strats has been doing real good work on bssf
Andyboy vs a fruitshop owner - kind of a coinflip but Andy is good at clutching those

Winner: Kyogre (7-5)

Wigglytuff

mad @ redacted in redacted
is a Tiering Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
imagine a series coming down to cap 1v1 LOL jesus this couldn't have been timed more poorly

Kyogre (12) vs Lugia (0)

This year the Raikous Kyogres don't have a cursed Gen 3 slot so perhaps they can get the 12-0.

Galarian Zapdos (5) vs Hoopa (5) - deciding series is.....monotype and cap 1v1 LOOOOOOOOOL
Gen 8 Random Battle: BoRida vs Zap - consider this a prediction for the above too. The Hoopa's late Gen 8 duo draft has not performed well this tournament, after week 4 I think they had 1 win out of 8 series. SHEET GOD Prosaic OML alone has more wins than both of them combined LOL and Borida is at a respectable 4-3. The Hoopa core has found more wins in the last half of the season, which was the opposite of what I expected since they were playing much stronger teams, but it would be very difficult to predict against the SHEET GOD Prosaic OML and ladder hero Boris Huang in their current form.
Gen 7 Random Battle: apologies vs Betathunder - after a strong start, Betathunder has struggled against the top 3 teams, including a loss to apologies. It's hard to predict against the person that won the previous time they played and has the better current record, but maybe the Hoopa plot armor will come into play.
Gen 5 Random Battle: mc56556 vs TheFranklin - bro just turn on timer LOL two timeouts and the series is done. More seriously, this is the variance tier so w/e, whoever has the better record probably wins.
Gen 4 Random Battle: Jytcampbell vs Celever - celever has defied crust rule and is 5-2, while Jytcampbell subbed in to go 4-2. I'd give the edge in long term game planning to jyt but this is randbats, where's the long term lol...given that Jyt won this matchup the last time they played, I think this one's a tossup. Slight edge to jyt.
Gen 3 Random Battle: xGang vs Glop - SHEET GOD XGANG OML has come back to double his score on the SHEET and is currently sitting at 6-1. Glop has heavily overperformed my expectations, but hit a wall in the last couple weeks as the Hoopas faced tougher teams (recurring theme here) and currently sits at a solid 4-3. I'm not convinced that Glop has reached the same heights of skill that xgang possesses to colonize the gen 3 ladder with 90 gxe, especially since one of those wins was a game where nidoqueen clicked earthquake 7 times. Large edge to the sheet god.
Gen 8 Monotype Random Battle: maroon vs PA - FUCK MONOTYPE
Gen 8 Hackmons Cup: lvl100Blaziken vs platinumCheesecake - both play hella hackmons so it's not a case where ladder hero smashes random substitute that got subbed in to play hackmons. Small edge to platty, who seems to be in the same good form that got him the #1 hackmons record last year.
Gen 8 Random Doubles Battle: LoSconosciuto vs snorlax142857 - losconosciuto (pizza) is a ladder hero in pretty much every format, so by taking the integral of the ladder hero rule snorlax should win this one by a rock slide. In all seriousness, I have to believe that cramming that amount of info in your head leads to information overload when it comes time to focus in on one. Generally speaking, all rounders haven't performed well in RBTT, although usually that was a result of their managers juggling them around, which hasn't happened with Loscono. Idk. Snorlax has inverted his 2-4 from last year into a 4-3 right now, and he's a doubles ladder hero, so I guess I'll give a slight edge here.
Gen 7 Battle Factory: ORAS-Mega vs temp - in a refreshing twist, this time the Gapdos player had a strong first half of the season and slowed down in the latter half. I bet ORAS-mega has gone batshit crazy whenever he gets a UU team in battle factory. The algorithm poops out such great innovations as suicide lead froslass wish blissey hyper offense and mega sharpedo semistall. Meanwhile, temp has put up a very solid 5-2 and has historically done well in BF.
Gen 7 BSS Factory: Lambovino vs soTsoT - yet another Hoopa who did well in the starting weeks and struggled in the latter half. soTsoT currently holds the record for most number of suspect tests so in the absence of prior history (forsh played and beat soT last time Gapdos vs Hoopa) and similar records, I'll give slight edge to soTsoT.
CAP 1v1: Forsh vs bill1 - WHAT AM I EVEN PREDICTING HERE LOL i liked the concept of mystery box but there's too many memes in here, monotype is already the tossup format, we really didn't need another one. jesus, good luck to my boy forsh.

edit: just realized that there's high possibility for tiebreak so ig I'll predict that too

Gen 8 Random Battle: Prosaic vs Zap - realistically it doesn't matter whether zap or p&s are in, because I have no reason to predict either of them against SHEET GOD PROSAIC OML. Just another consequence of Hoopa's late Gen 8 duo draft.
Gen 3 Random Battle: xGang vs Glop - yeah see above. I noted in the week 1 unbiased predictions that Glop is the best person on the Hoopas for Gen 3 Random battle and Gapdos have 0 reason to pick anything other than Gen 3 rb.
Gen 4 Random Battle: Jytcampbell vs Celever - the hoopa pick for tiebreak is both tough and also unconsequential, because I think they'll lose the other two anyway. However, I think I'd go with Gen 4 Random Battle if I were the Hoopas. Celever is one of the few Hoopa's that didn't hit a wall in the latter half of the regular season and seems to be in touch with Gen 4. I would be hesitant in picking Hackmons, because as strong as Platty is, blaziken is also doing very well and it's Hackmons. The last possible format is BF, and as long as the possibility of rolling Monotype and PU are present, I'll never consider that the "balanced" pick.

Last edited:

peap

asleep
is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributor
RBTT Champion
Arcanines have bowed out, so I'm offering my services as a bookmaker for playoffs!

Each match is given with winning odds. These are based on regular season/past performances/current form + my own small perspective on specific matchups. If I don't have sufficient info on a match, then odds are made purely from stats.

Kyogre (7.5) vs Lugia (4.5)
Gen 8 Random Battle: odr (45) vs Delta 2777 (55) — a pretty even matchup between two experienced players; don't see any particular mismatch here. Hope odr picks up his playoff form after some close losses over the reg season.
Gen 8 Random Battle: chemcoop (40) vs Aquaa (60) — Aqua's knowledge of gen 8 randbats is only matched by Blade, and his playing and record show that. I wonder how aggressively he'll play against a strong challenger in chemcoop?
Gen 7 Random Battle: GaryAjax (60) vs Algeria (40) — the veteran GaryAjax still showing signs of vitality in RBTT4
Gen 5 Random Battle: ajhockeystar (45) vs Roseybear (55)
Gen 4 Random Battle: bugzinator (55) vs Piapia (45) — bugzi has reached higher heights as a player, but come up a bit lacking some weeks of this tournament
Gen 3 Random Battle: Roginald (55) vs Ereshkigal (45) — interesting ADV match to watch
Gen 8 Monotype Random Battle: Anthonyy23 (50) vs Havens (50) — rooting for my pal Anthoniy. Did you know Arcanines hold the top three slots on the monorands ladder?
Gen 8 Hackmons Cup: TheCoastsOfToast (50) vs Zephyr Dragon Lord (50) — I think this will just come down to matchup
Gen 8 Random Doubles Battle: Memoric (65) vs Ninjadog (35) — Memoric has proven himself as the top Doubles player over the regular season, with excellent dynamax timing.
Gen 7 Battle Factory: TJ (60) vs trace (40) — the b101 leader is a good battler
Gen 7 BSS Factory: Z Strats (60) vs Andy Snype (40) — Z Strats is the reg season leader in the format, while Andy is slotting here the first time this season
CAP 1v1: Andyboy (50) vs a fruitshop owner (50) — both are experienced players who have likely dabbled in CAP at the very least. Should be down to matchup.

Galarian Zapdos (5.5) vs Hoopa (6.5)
Gen 8 Random Battle: Prosaic (60) vs Panty&Stockings (40) — I haven't yet seen an overt mistake from Prosaic, while P&S has given many a good player a full three-game series but also made some crucial errors (e.g. needed to Max Geyser in Game 2, Turn 11 vs Aqua)
Gen 8 Random Battle: BoRida (55) vs Zap (45) — BoRida has reached record GXEs on ladder and sliced through the first half of the regular season; on paper he is strong but Zap is in-form.
Gen 7 Random Battle: apologies (58) vs Betathunder (42) — condolences has been showing good results on ladder and in tournament play
Gen 5 Random Battle: mc56556 (40) vs TheFranklin (60)
Gen 4 Random Battle: Jytcampbell (45) vs Celever (55) — Celly has put in seven really solid weeks at this slot
Gen 3 Random Battle: xGang (55) vs Glop (45) — another highlight of this week. I heard Glop is behind on uploading videos so maybe he'll be distracted?
Gen 8 Monotype Random Battle: maroon (50) vs PA (50) — same record, PA has been in better recent form
Gen 8 Hackmons Cup: lvl100Blaziken (47) vs platinumCheesecake (53) — out of respect for his Hackmons Cup article, going with Platty, but the Gapdos manager has been quietly snatching points for this slot week after week.
Gen 8 Random Doubles Battle: LoSconosciuto (45) vs snorlax142857 (55) — pretty even on paper, good players both
Gen 7 Battle Factory: ORAS-Mega (50) vs temp (50)— really looking forward to this match between two of the best in the format, hopefully there are lots of cool double switches n' predicts instead of two players whittling away at each other through matchup
Gen 7 BSS Factory: Lambovino (45) vs soTsoT (55)
CAP 1v1: Forsh (50) vs bill1 (50) — again I'm not making a prediction for the Mystery Box tier. As long as Forsh reads the sets before clicking I'm confident he can win. But the exact same is true for bill1 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you'd like to take me up on a bet, e.g. you disagree with a prediction or think I'm misinformed, then I welcome you to dm me at peap#5364 with a suggested reward/punishment on the outcome :thwackey:

Last edited:

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
imagine a series coming down to cap 1v1 LOL jesus this couldn't have been timed more poorly

Kyogre (12) vs Lugia (0)

This year the Raikous Kyogres don't have a cursed Gen 3 slot so perhaps they can get the 12-0.

Galarian Zapdos (5) vs Hoopa (5) - deciding series is.....monotype and cap 1v1 LOOOOOOOOOL
Gen 8 Random Battle: BoRida vs Zap - consider this a prediction for the above too. The Hoopa's late Gen 8 duo draft has not performed well this tournament, after week 4 I think they had 1 win out of 8 series. SHEET GOD Prosaic OML alone has more wins than both of them combined LOL and Borida is at a respectable 4-3. The Hoopa core has found more wins in the last half of the season, which was the opposite of what I expected since they were playing much stronger teams, but it would be very difficult to predict against the SHEET GOD Prosaic OML and ladder hero Boris Huang in their current form.
Gen 7 Random Battle: apologies vs Betathunder - after a strong start, Betathunder has struggled against the top 3 teams, including a loss to apologies. It's hard to predict against the person that won the previous time they played and has the better current record, but maybe the Hoopa plot armor will come into play.
Gen 5 Random Battle: mc56556 vs TheFranklin - bro just turn on timer LOL two timeouts and the series is done. More seriously, this is the variance tier so w/e, whoever has the better record probably wins.
Gen 4 Random Battle: Jytcampbell vs Celever - celever has defied crust rule and is 5-2, while Jytcampbell subbed in to go 4-2. I'd give the edge in long term game planning to jyt but this is randbats, where's the long term lol...given that Jyt won this matchup the last time they played, I think this one's a tossup. Slight edge to jyt.
Gen 3 Random Battle: xGang vs Glop - SHEET GOD XGANG OML has come back to double his score on the SHEET and is currently sitting at 6-1. Glop has heavily overperformed my expectations, but hit a wall in the last couple weeks as the Hoopas faced tougher teams (recurring theme here) and currently sits at a solid 4-3. I'm not convinced that Glop has reached the same heights of skill that xgang possesses to colonize the gen 3 ladder with 90 gxe, especially since one of those wins was a game where nidoqueen clicked earthquake 7 times. Large edge to the sheet god.
Gen 8 Monotype Random Battle: maroon vs PA - FUCK MONOTYPE
Gen 8 Hackmons Cup: lvl100Blaziken vs platinumCheesecake - both play hella hackmons so it's not a case where ladder hero smashes random substitute that got subbed in to play hackmons. Small edge to platty, who seems to be in the same good form that got him the #1 hackmons record last year.
Gen 8 Random Doubles Battle: LoSconosciuto vs snorlax142857 - losconosciuto (pizza) is a ladder hero in pretty much every format, so by taking the integral of the ladder hero rule snorlax should win this one by a rock slide. In all seriousness, I have to believe that cramming that amount of info in your head leads to information overload when it comes time to focus in on one. Generally speaking, all rounders haven't performed well in RBTT, although usually that was a result of their managers juggling them around, which hasn't happened with Loscono. Idk. Snorlax has inverted his 2-4 from last year into a 4-3 right now, and he's a doubles ladder hero, so I guess I'll give a slight edge here.
Gen 7 Battle Factory: ORAS-Mega vs temp - in a refreshing twist, this time the Gapdos player had a strong first half of the season and slowed down in the latter half. I bet ORAS-mega has gone batshit crazy whenever he gets a UU team in battle factory. The algorithm poops out such great innovations as suicide lead froslass wish blissey hyper offense and mega sharpedo semistall. Meanwhile, temp has put up a very solid 5-2 and has historically done well in BF.
Gen 7 BSS Factory: Lambovino vs soTsoT - yet another Hoopa who did well in the starting weeks and struggled in the latter half. soTsoT currently holds the record for most number of suspect tests so in the absence of prior history (forsh played and beat soT last time Gapdos vs Hoopa) and similar records, I'll give slight edge to soTsoT.
CAP 1v1: Forsh vs bill1 - WHAT AM I EVEN PREDICTING HERE LOL i liked the concept of mystery box but there's too many memes in here, monotype is already the tossup format, we really didn't need another one. jesus, good luck to my boy forsh.

edit: just realized that there's high possibility for tiebreak so ig I'll predict that too

Gen 8 Random Battle: Prosaic vs Zap - realistically it doesn't matter whether zap or p&s are in, because I have no reason to predict either of them against SHEET GOD PROSAIC OML. Just another consequence of Hoopa's late Gen 8 duo draft.
Gen 3 Random Battle: xGang vs Glop - yeah see above. I noted in the week 1 unbiased predictions that Glop is the best person on the Hoopas for Gen 3 Random battle and Gapdos have 0 reason to pick anything other than Gen 3 rb.
Gen 4 Random Battle: Jytcampbell vs Celever - the hoopa pick for tiebreak is both tough and also unconsequential, because I think they'll lose the other two anyway. However, I think I'd go with Gen 4 Random Battle if I were the Hoopas. Celever is one of the few Hoopa's that didn't hit a wall in the latter half of the regular season and seems to be in touch with Gen 4. I would be hesitant in picking Hackmons, because as strong as Platty is, blaziken is also doing very well and it's Hackmons. The last possible format is BF, and as long as the possibility of rolling Monotype and PU are present, I'll never consider that the "balanced" pick.
Hi Wigglytuff, cool post :3

For 7 weeks I’ve been wondering what the crust rule is since you said I was an example of it in week 1. Now that you’ve reminded me, I’m wondering if you could explain, as as far as I can tell no one has heard of it.

Kind regards,
Crusty Berry

Wigglytuff

mad @ redacted in redacted
is a Tiering Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
wiggly i didnt even top the hc format last year smh my head

Hi Wigglytuff, cool post :3

For 7 weeks I’ve been wondering what the crust rule is since you said I was an example of it in week 1. Now that you’ve reminded me, I’m wondering if you could explain, as as far as I can tell no one has heard of it.

Kind regards,
Crusty Berry
crust rule, as defined by -Tsunami- , is when a player, especially a good one, that has not played for a long time returns and does poorly. because the randbats team tournament (c) has only been going on for 4 years there has not been enough time for crust rule to take effect, so i am instead defining it to people that have really old join dates. since your smogon account is old enough to have a webkinz account, i applied crust rule to you in week 1 and you have since defied it.

-wigglytuff

Fragments

Bound to burn
is a Tiering Contributor
RBTT Champion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)