SPL XII - Commencement Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a massive help, thanks a ton! And thanks Boat ;D

Out of curiosity though, why is linking someone a public replay midgame allowed, but not a private one? Since you mentioned that before the game starts, both would be acceptable ressources
Because it's the same thing as sharing private messages. Those are meant to be private and not be shared without the other party's consent. So give a link to a message someone said publicly (such as on the forum, or some social network) is all good, but revealing a private text isn't. Same idea about public and private replays.

WinstonRed

I COULD BE BANNED!
Because it's the same thing as sharing private messages. Those are meant to be private and not be shared without the other party's consent. So give a link to a message someone said publicly (such as on the forum, or some social network) is all good, but revealing a private text isn't. Same idea about public and private replays.
But it was literally said that before the game starts, private replays are perfectly fine to be used, just not DURING the match, as opposed to public replays, which are then apparently still fine. While following your logic, private replays shouldn't be permitted for prep beforehand either

peng

fuck xatu
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
But it was literally said that before the game starts, private replays are perfectly fine to be used, just not DURING the match, as opposed to public replays, which are then apparently still fine. While following your logic, private replays shouldn't be permitted for prep beforehand either
I think the idea is that you can prepare as a team as much as you want, share all the knowledge you can before the game starts, but once in the game it should just be you vs the opponent. Your team can't give you new information. If you know a team/replay has been posted somewhere, you can ask someone to get it for you to save time, but people shouldn't send you a team/replay that you weren't previously aware of.

I think the public vs private thing more easily boils down to - stuff the player knows about vs stuff that would be brand new information for the player. If the player had been linked the team before the battle, then thats fair game - you prep as a team. But once the game starts, you're alone and if you don't recognise the 6 you're facing, you're on your own.

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
I think the reasoning is that during the game you may get linked a public team as that falls under a time-saver, as you can get that info if you go into the forums
On the other hand a private team should already be in your posetion for you to have access to it mid battle, and have it linked mid game would fall under speculation/team leaking
At least that's how I see it, p sure all of these scenarios will be reviewed soonish
Edit:sniped by peng lol but i think we had the same take over it

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I think the original idea behind permitting public replays was that a player might know that their opponent used their team in another tournament and could ask a teammate to go fetch the replay link for them rather than hunting down the exact thread and link themselves. That would be analogous to asking someone about a mechanic instead of searching for it on Bulbapedia, and in both cases these can easily be seen as "timesavers" rather than "prep." But given how many tournaments have been held and how many replays have been archived since the rule was written, it's no longer an expectation that player would see a reused team and be able to identify the replay where it was first used. It's just another case where tournaments culture has evolved to the point that the rules no longer cover what people actually do, and it'll be addressed in our revision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)