WHAT’S GETTING YOU THROUGH THE WEEK?

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
One of the best things you can do is to believe in yourself.
This unlocked a random memory for me. I had this teacher in 7th grade named Mr. P. The P was something really long and hard to pronounce so I don't exactly remember but what I DO remember is that he had a method to "succeeding at anything in life." It was called "Mr. P's four steps to success."

The first time I heard about the four steps to success, I was having trouble with something modeling something on a computer (it was like a design/pre-engineering/shop kind of class) so I asked him for help. This is when he told me the four steps to success.

1. Don't panic

This is pretty good advice, I think. Gotta have a clear head to work/succeed.

2. Stay calm

You'll notice that this is remarkably similar to step one. But still, decent advice. No use in panicking when you're trying to do something.

3. Believe in yourself

Getting discouraged is one of the easiest ways to not be able to do something, so again, good advice. But we're three steps into a four step program and I'm no closer to knowing how to do the thing he asked me to do, I've just gotten some life advice.

4. Just do it

...? Not sure what this is, exactly. Could be a Nike ripoff. However, I was sorely disappointed to learn that when I asked "How?" he gave me a process that ended with "Just do it" and didn't tell me how.

He repeated the four steps to success all year

1. Don't panic
2. Stay calm
3. Believe in yourself
4. Just do it

So basically, he went the whole year teaching (and I assume most of his career) without really explaining how to do anything, just letting us fend for ourselves. And you know what? Maybe it's because it was an introductory level 7th grade course, but it kind of worked. That bastard was a genius.

---

On topic with the thread, remembering Mr. P's four steps to success is getting me through the week.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
mf's four steps for success:
  1. freak out. go fucking ape shit, smash things up. this will calm you down ready for step 2
  2. freak out again to get it all out of your system
  3. analyse the problem, including visualising every permutation of what might go wrong. really envisage yourself in every possible bad outcome. this will prepare you for the worst (nb this step can take several days of intense meditation)
  4. tentatively take the first step towards solving the problem but if anything shows signs of going wrong, immediately retreat
congratulations! you have the code for Life Success

antemortem

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
responsibility
DO YOU FEEL A RESPONSIBILITY TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOURSELF
OR TO PROVE TO OTHERS THAT YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE?
my fear of oblivion
FEAR, LAD, EXISTS ONLY IN THE MIND. YOU CANNOT TOUCH IT. AND IT CANNOT TOUCH YOU.
DO YOU FEEL A RESPONSIBILITY TO PROVE YOUR PIOUSNESS TO YOURSELF
OR TO PROVE TO OTHERS THAT YOU ARE PIOUS?
mf's four steps for success:
  1. freak out. go fucking ape shit, smash things up. this will calm you down ready for step 2
  2. freak out again to get it all out of your system
  3. analyse the problem, including visualising every permutation of what might go wrong. really envisage yourself in every possible bad outcome. this will prepare you for the worst (nb this step can take several days of intense meditation)
  4. tentatively take the first step towards solving the problem but if anything shows signs of going wrong, immediately retreat
congratulations! you have the code for Life Success
MY ONLY CRITIQUE IS I WOULD ADD:
5. BRING YOUR FRIENDS ON-BOARD FOR YOUR IMMINENT EMOTIONAL CATASTROPHE TO ASSURE MUTUAL DESTRUCTION.

"Unfortunate" doesn't begin to describe my ratio, this game rewards blind clout and nothing else, I am beyond convinced at this point. After getting completely tooled by likewhoring with my mods changing my ratio on me last minute and refusing to provide confirmation prior to the day of removing them as to why, losing likes this way somehow felt even worse than I had thought possible. My preparation was superior, my play was superior, and I lost, so I don't see a reason to continue engaging in an activity where what is within my control is overwhelmingly outweighed by what is not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)