Hippowdon @ Leftovers / Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rock Slide
- High Horsepower / Scorching Sands
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock / Toxic

Hippowdon helps take on the Flying, Fire, and Bug types that give Rillaboom pain, both defensively and by getting Rocks up, which is hugely helpful as the majority of Rillaboom's switch-ins are at best neutral to Rocks. Hippo is super specially bulky, similarly to Tyranitar, and gets recovery. RIllaboom is also very helpful for Hippo, taking on Water types and Grass types that Hippo will dies if touched by, while providing reduced Earthquake damage and passive recovery.

Both of these Pokemon also fit excellently on Sand teams, with most of what was said about Hippowdon's typing being complimented by RIllaboom's ability and typing being multiplied several times over due to stacked typings. Hippo or something like it is obviously near mandatory on sand due to Sand Stream.

Something that can take on Toxic users, especially levitating ones like Latias, is super appreciated by this core.

Last edited:

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
:sm/hydreigon:
Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Nasty Plot
- Roost

Dragon/Steel Hydreigon is a fantastic partner for Rillaboom, being able to take on Flying, Bug, Psychic, and Poison attacks. It can switch into mons like burn Mews or non-Fighting Tornadus-Ts which would otherwise beat Rillaboom and force them out, giving Hydreigon an opportunity to break walls with Nasty Plot-boosted STABs. In return, Rillaboom provides valuable speed control against mons like Pheromosa as well as breaking Steel walls. This core can struggle against the Espeeders Entei and Zygarde-10, however, and Rillaboom can't safely switch into Pheromosa, so a physically defensive pivot like Water/Fairy Mew or Water/Ghost Slowbro/Salamence is a great option for them.

Last edited:

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
/

Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower / Fiery Dance
- Psychic
- Quiver Dance
- Roost

Fire / Psychic Volcarona pairs nicely with Grass / Fighting Rillaboom as it beats Rillaboom's physically bulky checks like Bug / Fighting Mew and Landorus-T, Steel / Flying Mew and Salamence, and Poison / Fairy Cresselia. I initially tried out Overheat for the Fire STAB move but it really doesn't reach any notable benchmarks in the damage calc and has a big downside, so Flamethrower and Fiery Dance are both solid, accurate options. I opted for Modest nature for more firepower initially. It outspeeds everything unboosted but Eleki but Modest misses out on outspeeding some +1 mons like Lando-T, Porygon-Z, and Excadrill. Rillaboom's Grassy Terrain helps Volcarona passively heal and can come in handy in a pinch to weaken an Earthquake from something like Lando-T and avoid an OHKO.

Last edited:

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
:ss/Clefable:
Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

Electric / Fairy Clefable makes a good partner for Rillaboom because it can switch into Rillaboom's best checks, such as Bug / Fighting Landorus-T, Fighting / Flying Tornadus-T and Fairy / Poison Cresselia, relatively easily and can OHKO the former two while setting up on the other easily. Additionally, it pressures Steel / Flying types that would otherwise be annoying to Rillaboom. In return, Rillaboom can break past bulky Ground-types that annoy Clefable, and Grassy Terrain helps Clefable beat physical Ground-types that use Earthquake.

Last edited:

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thank you to everyone who submitted! The submissions are as follows:
:zeraora: Chazm with Electric / Flying Zeraora
:tornadus-therian: I Make Sets with Dark / Poison Tornadus-Therian
:magearna: The Number Man with Steel / Fairy Magearna
:hippowdon: drampa's grandpa with Rock / Ground Hippowdon
:hydreigon: anaconja with Dragon / Steel Hydreigon
:volcarona: a loser with Fire / Psychic Volcarona
:clefable: In The Hills with Electric / Fairy Clefable
Voting closes 2/28. As always you can vote if you submitted a set as long as you do not vote for yourself, and as always I'll use my vote as an example:
1. The Number Man
2. Chazm
3. a loser

in the hills

spreading confusion
Thank you for voting! The Number Man comes in 1st, with Chazm in 2nd and a loser in 3rd. Next week is AAA!
Week 22: Adaptability Mamoswine (Almost Any Ability)
:ss/mamoswine:
Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off​
You have until 3/5 to submit a partner for Mamoswine! As always reservations only last for 24 hours, so be sure to finish your posts in a timely manner.

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
:ss/Tapu Koko:
Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot

Something I've been trying out a lot more as of late is double Choice-locked mons with Adaptability, and a combination I particularly enjoy is actually Koko [+Choice Banded] Mamo[swine]—it being Life Orb for this matchmaking doesn't make too much of a difference so I like this pairing. In essence, Mamoswine's insane Ice/Ground coverage actually pairs really nicely with Tapu Koko. They both threaten the premier ground-types of the tier with STAB and coverage moves able to OHKO or easily 2HKO (Dazzling Gleam vs Chomp, Grass Knot vs Swampert, Icicle Crash cooks both), and because Tapu Koko can Volt Switch, it gives Mamoswine plenty of opportunities to destroy Pokemon like Blissey/Chansey, Assault Vest Jirachi, etc. who would try to switch in and eat one of its attacks. Conversely, Mamoswine's primary switchins tend to be Corviknight (or the occasional Skarmory) and Dauntless Shield Mew (I don't consider Tapu Fini to be a Mamoswine switchin because it takes more than half from Earthquake), both of which Tapu Koko covers for decently and can also weaken for it. In practice, the combination of Tapu Koko and Mamoswine's speed control (e.g. 130 base speed on Koko, Ice Shard on Mamoswine) and powerful STAB options are conveniently ideal for hitting common threats extremely hard, so to me they're a good match for each other.

Last edited:

LBDC

From Eu to the Mont-Saint-Michel
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Intimidate Corviknight

:ss/corviknight:

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Compared to Tapu Koko set show above, this partenar takes a more balanced approach. From my experience, Mamoswine can be very quickly chipped; for example, after two moves (e.g if you're 2HKOing something) you're already at 68% of your health with SR damage + LO. That also means that Mamoswine shouldn't be hard-switch in Pokemon like Toxapex and Garchomp, as it will lose some invaluable HP. Finally, some faster foes can revenge Mamoswine despite Ice Shard presence, including Weavile, Terrakion, Genesect, by virtue of their resistance to Ice, or just natural bulk. Nevertheless, Mamoswine is still a good Pokémon in the metagame, with a immense power.

Corviknight attempts to fix these issues. By providing a Defog support, it help with Stealth Rock issue. Its U-turn let's it bring Mamoswine in the field without much trouble. Corviknight can also check the aforementioned Weavile and Terrakion with Intimidate; it even switch in full physical Genesect sets. In return, Mamoswine can set Stealth Rock, weaken defensives foes, and use Ice Shard to help Corviknight with Noivern.

So yeah, for me, Mamoswine and Corviknight pair well each other for all reasons listed above. Have a nice day!
:mad:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Thank you for voting! The Number Man comes in 1st, with Chazm in 2nd and a loser in 3rd. Next week is AAA!
Week 22: Adaptability Mamoswine (Almost Any Ability)
:ss/mamoswine:
Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off​
You have until 3/5 to submit a partner for Mamoswine! As always reservations only last for 24 hours, so be sure to finish your posts in a timely manner.
What does Mamo not like? Bulky waters. What can break bulky waters?

:ss/tapu_bulu:
Tapu Bulu @ Life Orb
Ability: Triage
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- High Horsepower

Bulu breaks stuff like Fini for Mamo and together they can wear down Corviknight and Ferrothorn.

in the hills

spreading confusion
:ss/heatran:
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Desolate Land
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Solar Beam
- Earth Power
- Taunt
I chose Desolate Land Heatran as Mamoswine's partner due to the primary things Mamoswine struggles with: Tapu Fini and Corviknight. Desolate Land Heatran is a devastatingly strong attacker that is able to damage foes that Mamoswine struggles with, and vice versa. This core does struggle with faster attackers, especially Barraskewda, so make sure to cover those when teambuilding, but overall this core should blow major holes into most teams.

:ss/garchomp:
Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

The only true checks to Mamoswine are Intimidate Corviknight and Dauntless Shield Mew. After some consideration, the best way to cripple them is Dragon Tail + Rocks + SD Garchomp, since it forces them in quite consistently and gets damage every time. Since Mamoswine doesn't need that much chip to break through them, this Garchomp synergizes well.

in the hills

spreading confusion
Thank you to everyone who submitted! The submissions are as follows:
:tapu koko: Thinkerino with Adaptability Tapu Koko
:corviknight: LBDC with Intimidate Corviknight
:tapu bulu: drampa's grandpa with Triage Tapu Bulu
:heatran: In The Hills with Desolate Land Heatran
:garchomp: Atha with Regenerator Garchomp
Voting closes 3/7. As always, you may vote if you submitted as long as you do not vote for yourself, and as always I'll use my own vote as an example:
1. Thinkerino
2. LBDC
3. drampa's grandpa

in the hills

spreading confusion
Thank you to everyone who voted! Thinkerino comes in first with Atha and LBDC tying for second! Next week is BH!
Week 23: Magic Guard Pheromosa (Balanced Hackmons)
:ss/pheromosa:

Pheromosa @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Def
- Mind Blown
- High Jump Kick
- Glacial Lance
- U-turn​
You have until 3/12 to submit a partner for Pheromosa. As always reservations last for 24 hours so make sure to finish your posts in a timely manner

:ss/eternatus:
Eternatus @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Core Enforcer
- Sludge Bomb
- Volt Switch
- Recover

Eternatus's unique STAB combination allows it to threaten bulky FC Dragon-types such as Giratina and Palkia, and Fairy-types namely Fini and Xern, which are the biggest halt to Phero. It hits fairly hard with Adapt and its stabs are super annoying to deal with, outside of Steel-types, which it can still pivot out with Volt. It backs up Phero's extreme fraility as it has great longevity with its bulk + Recover. They also form a volt turn core, being able to pivot into each other's checks. Switching into a Core Enforcer from a FC Dragon (phero uturn into etern) can be annoying, so a Fairy-type pivot like Magearna and Fini can complement this core well.

Also volt into phero mind blown kills zacc

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Thank you to everyone who voted! Thinkerino comes in first with Atha and LBDC tying for second! Next week is BH!
Week 23: Magic Guard Pheromosa (Balanced Hackmons)
:ss/pheromosa:

Pheromosa @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Def
- Mind Blown
- High Jump Kick
- Glacial Lance
- U-turn​
You have until 3/12 to submit a partner for Pheromosa. As always reservations last for 24 hours so make sure to finish your posts in a timely manner
So happy you used my Magic Guard set!

Perfect partner is:
This easy Pheromosa can work as an Imposter lure for Mindblown so Tapu-Fini can safely trigger Toxic Poison.

When they try to U-Turn to switch, you simply Baneful Bunker to ensure Imposter will get Poisoned (Imposter to loses its Magic Guard after it switches) so you can Scald their manual switch-in, to fish (literally) for Burns or Parting Shot to another teammate! Hehe!

Tapu-Fini removes abilities while scaring out Palkia, PHeal Regigigas, Reshiram, Kyurem-W, etc. and can escape Dragapult without worry.

Tapu Fini @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Parting Shot
- Core Enforcer
- Baneful Bunker

Tapu-Fini absorbs status, Knock Off, and so many Dragon moves! Poison Heal Giratina, beware! Hehehe.

Oh, and that annoying Ho-Oh that walls Pheromosa has to watch out for Baneful Bunker, Core removing its ability, and a STAB Scald, or get Parting Shot if it is the Magic Bounce variant.

Tapu-Fini fits so well with Pheromosa, they may as well be soul sisters.

It’s BH Gen 7 all over again!

1615283418960.gif

Last edited:

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
After theorymonning Electric-types to the point of exhaustion, I've given up and decided on a different kind of partner for Pheromosa. My original idea was mixed Sheer Force Life Orb Regieleki but it just doesn't quite perform. RIP Bolt Beak I guess. Idk I have mixed feelings lol.

Lunala @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald / Discharge / Nuzzle
- Hex
- Shore Up
- Court Change

I think Fur Coat Lunala pairs well with this Pheromosa because it can punish the inevitable switch-ins like Fur Coat Giratina, Poison Heal + Shield Giratina, and other Poison Healers like Tapu Fini aiming to check Pheromosa. Pheromosa can bring in Lunala via U-turn and both are immune to entry hazards thanks to Magic Guard and Heavy-Duty Boots. Lunala can Court Change away hazards so that the rest of the team can come in freely. Scald is used to spread burns and boost Hex's Base Power. Unfortunately, Scald fails to really punish Ho-Oh, who is a solid check to Pheromosa, so you can use Discharge or Nuzzle to better threaten Ho-Oh if you want. These moves aren't quite as spammable as Scald though.

Last edited:
Rayquaza @ Choice Specs
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Boomburst
- Extreme Speed
- V-create
- Volt Switch

These pokemon complement each other really well because pheramosa is able to 1v1 almost every steel type in the game and force out faster offensive pokemon, and thus gets Rayquaza in for free with u-turn. Rayquaza compliment pheramosa because it's able to do a ton of damage on pokemon Pheramosa would otherwise have trouble chipping such as Xerneas, Tapu-fini, and Darmanitan-zen.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)