Other Unofficial Metagames Premier League - Week 3

cromagnet

I pledge allegiance to the grind
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
1620009441224.png

Discord | UMPL sheet

Amazing Art by Pujo
Tournament hosted by Apagogie, cromagnet, and Jett
Commencement | Administrative Decisions
Welcome to the first edition of Unofficial Metagames Premier League (UMPL)! This is an all-out team tournament among players from 1v1, Anything Goes, ZU, and NFE, who will compete in a 5-week round robin. The top 3 teams will then move on to playoffs, where the winning team will be crowned UMPL champions!

Here's a few things to remember:
- A replay / log must be saved of your match or it will be considered invalid. No exceptions.
- General tournament rules and regulations apply. Pokemon Showdown is the default simulator for all metagames unless both parties agree. If you play on anywhere that isn't PS! you must save a log of the match. All matches are best of one, except for 1v1 slots, which are best of five.

We reserve the right to judge any individual match on a case by case basis, regardless of assumed precedence set. If you don't like that, you are welcome to not play. Be aware of this.

To protect yourself as much as possible from DCs and timer issues, play on Showdown (because it has an at least semi reliable system of rejoining after a DC) and make a gentleman's agreement to not hit timer.

Regarding time outs, they are a bit more complex, specifically because some timeouts are due to DCs. The best we can do for this scenario is say that there is some number between 1 minute and 2 minutes (which we will not publicize) that we will set as a limit for timing out, and if you timeout with more than that limit time remaining, we'll assume it is a DC, whereas the opposite is a true timeout. A true timeout defaults to a loss, while the DC timeout is prone to the DC rules.

1620009529800.png
1620009535354.png
1620009543467.png

(6) The Aesthetic Articuno vs The Mankey Monkes (2)
SS 1v1: Bilbooo vs Bopher
SS 1v1: Potatochan vs Scraftionite

SS AG: WSun1 vs Royal1604
SS AG: Bread Sandwich vs Alkione
SS NFE: Quagg vs Skysolo
SS NFE: professor tox vs ojr
SS ZU: 5gen vs Fille
SS ZU: gglrg vs yovan33321

1620009648540.png
1620009655420.png
1620009664353.png

(5) We Sawk! vs The Gliding Grookey (3)
SS 1v1: Boat vs Close
SS 1v1: Mubs vs Itchyy
SS AG: Geysers vs Fardin
SS AG: Rotten vs PinkDragonTamer
SS NFE: S1nn0hC0nfirm3d vs frisoeva
SS NFE: Rav3ndan vs Monsareeasy
SS ZU: daniYSB vs EviGaro
SS ZU: Tuthur vs TJ

1620009873586.png
1620009719143.png
1620009879944.png

(4) The Zealous Zweilous vs The Star Road Lunala (4)
SS 1v1: lvl100Blaziken vs D2TheW
SS 1v1: Sificon vs BlanchedAlmond
SS AG: jerryl309 vs xavgb
SS AG: Fc vs lotiasite
SS NFE: pileosand vs King Leo V
SS NFE: Greybaum vs Hys
SS ZU: pattek vs czim
SS ZU: Landon vs Aaronboyer

Deadline is May 9 at 11:59 PM EDT (GMT-4)

Last edited:
Zu predicts

SS ZU: daniYSB vs EviGaro 45-55. Was impressed with their creative techs w1, dropped the ball a bit with their boring standard w2 team but think they can bounce back. Also still having nightmares of mushurna future sight from zupl.
SS ZU: Tuthur vs TJ 60-40 Choo Choo never looses (apart from when getting outplayed haxed by me). Also TJ threw big time w2 so not sure if that knocked his confidence.
SS ZU: Pattek vs Czim 30-70 Czim is back to Czim level. He had a rough first week1 both in umpl and ssnl but after winning 3 tour matches last week he's back in form and should have momentum.
SS ZU: Landon vs Aaronboyer 55-45 Although Landon is generally considered to be the better player he is 0-2 rn in umpl and seems to be having a rough time. Aaron also surprised me by playing very well w1 so i think this game will be alot closer than people think

Fardin

Tournament Banned
SS AG: WSun1 vs Royal1604 - very heat mu. Both are good players but I think royal has the edge playing wise, and with pannu to support him with teams, imma go with him for this one but I can easily see wsun take the w too. Close one

SS AG: Bread Sandwich vs Alkione - alk is a wild card, don't really know what to expect but it's gonna be a crazy game. As long as agl doesn't over prep and start building around cheese, he'll be fine.

SS AG: jerryl309 vs xavgb - stresh is just the better player, I don't see this going any other way jerryl is still very solid so he could gain momentum a couple times and might steal it away. Still stresh is the big favorite

SS AG: Fc vs lotiasite - hm, interesting mu. I think fc is just really inform right now. Loti is solid but I can't see him break fc's win streak

Last edited:

hayedenn

forgotten me already?
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Alright I'm 1-3 so far this tournament in predictions but hopefully I'll do better this week

SS NFE: S1nn0hC0nfirm3d vs frisoeva 65-35
Ho3n's knowledge of the NFE metagame and teambuilding ability I think is better than friso's right now, and while I think friso may technically be the better player, we've already seen him lose to someone this UMPL who has that better knowledge and current metagame experience, so I have to give the advantage to Ho3n

SS NFE: Rav3ndan vs 85percent 65-35
I think 85percent's teams and preparation are better, and while he should perform better this week after having that first tournament game under his belt, I just think Rav has better support and has that more current high-level tour experience compared to 85 that should give him the advantage going into this

SS NFE: pileosand vs King Leo V 60-40
Leo has been very underwhelming this tournament and pileo has been very impressive this tournament. I see no reason as to why that would change this week.

SS NFE: Greybaum vs Hys 40-60
I think this is close, but Hys has been great so far in terms of performance in NFE tournaments, and while Greybaum is a great builder, I think Hys's peak right now is higher than Greybaum's. I think this game is very dependant on who gets the matchup advantage, but I think if it's even in that sense then I'd lean towards Hys.

Last edited:

lepton

im fragile, but not that fragile
is a Tiering Contributor
pileo predicts but again but again

Quagg vs Skysolo - QUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA i believe in the return of nfe quags

professor tox vs ojr - both coming off of wins, and (like all of the games every week lol) could definitely go either way, i slightly favor tox because idk it just feels right im not good at this

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d vs frisoeva - what tox said but i think its closer because s1n can be a bit inconsistent at times

Rav3ndan vs 85percent - rav should really be 2-0 i kinda haxed him lol, very good and consistent player, but 85 absolutely has a shot with his building and prep

Bruh, what happened in week 2?? I know the matchups were close, but damn I'm shocked on some of them for different reasons. Anyway, I ended up with 2-4 (3-7 overall), which isn't any better FFS. I'm hoping to get my predicted score positive or else I'll let Jett have the right to call me a clown for the rest of the year.

SS NFE: Quagg vs Skysolo (45:55)
Skysolo has continued to impress me by taking wins against "top-level" NFE players. And now he will face another known player in NFE. Quag decided to play NFE this week, and I'm very excited about this match. Still, I do think Skysolo is in favor to win here. Both are great players for different reasons, but Quag has recently been back playing pokemon and I feel like he isn't completely used with the new meta, while Skysolo's results speak for themself. For the playstyle, I've already talked about Skysolo. Quag has a solid understanding of the situation he is in so whenever he goes aggressive or defensive depends on his position. So I feel they're both equally good, but Skysolo is still the better player atm.
I'm unsure about the building part. Skysolo has been using a solid, but very similar team structure. 3 defensive cores, with 1-2 bulky-offense mon and one breaker that has limited checks. Not that's bad though, but Quag is extremely good at prepping and can use that to the advantage. Quag's builds overall is very "sample team" worthy, so I think Quag's building part is a little better, even if he's still a little rusty right now. How I would imagine the match will be typical. Early and endgame shouldn't matter too much, but those critical plays in mid-game will matter a ton. Since I think Skysolo is the better player atm = better plays = more likely to win.

SS NFE: Professor Tox vs Ojr (45:55)
After Ojr gave hands to Xavgb, I decided to go through his and Skysolo replays from other tiers to get information on them as a player. I think I got what I needed to form my reasoning behind this prediction. This matchup is quite a ballsy one, and I'll give it to Ojr the favor to win the match. I can go with the "Ojr won against Xavgb while Tox lost against him" and he's simply a more experienced/better player, but that's boring. So speaking of them as a player, Ojr is an aggressive player with a lot of good predictions mostly from playing LC. Tox is similar by going a fair amount of prediction himself, but Ojr has better decisions. Tox is a better builder by simply being more optimal. However, Ojr isn't something to shrug off. Looking at his team against Xavgb showed me he has some deadly traps which can turn around the game. As for how I would think the match would go, I think this is why I favor Ojr over Tox. He is someone that likes to hold the advantage right from the start, and with his strong prediction and 50/50 game, he could honestly cause frustration for Tox. And If he ever gets in Tox's head, I think that's an easy GG since Tox tends to lose composure. But as long Tox doesn't give Ojr a lot of opportunities and limits his chances all to the end game, which is possible because of the nature of NFE itself, he has always a good chance to win. I'm just gonna say this match may be hella wild lol, I'm so gonna watch it.

SS NFE: S1nn0hC0nfirm3d vs Frisoeva (60:40)
Ho3n has shown better performance than what Friso has to offer atm. Friso's a better player though so it's never one-sided when it comes to NFE. But what Tox said + I think the Tlenit game didn't convince me to think Friso has a better chance to win against ho3n. Because I felt more than that Tlenit just choked that game hard. For the match itself though, I actually don't know LOL. I thought it was going to be a slow mid-game, but after seeing Friso's team against Tlenit I'm a little unsure how it will be viewed. I do think it's going to be 50+ turns like easily, but I'm curious how the match will look at early/mid-game. To think about it, have these two played against each other before? I can't recall lol. Frisoeva isn't someone to ever underestimate, but I'll still give it to ho3n as a clear favorite to win this match. As long ho3n does not choke, he should be fine.

SS NFE: Rav3ndan vs 85percent (60:40)
I think Rav3ndan is a clear winner here. I haven't seen enough to think that 85% has a chance to win over Rav3. He's obviously better with his builds and preparation, but Rav3 is the better NFE player right now and has solid teams enough. I think the match is going to the "most NFE" I can think of since both of them builds very standard, so the game will be heavily focused on Mid-game. I think anyone can win the game, but I'll give Rav3 the likely chance to win. Not much I can say from here except I'm glad to see 85% and Rav3 are playing more, make the match as high quality as possible ty :)

SS NFE: Rav3ndan vs Monsareeasy (55:45)
Tired to tell my reason behind this prediction, but I'll predict Rav3 over Arctic.

SS NFE: Pileosand vs King Leo V (48:52)
Oh my, seems like the NFEPL IV Winners are facing each other. The kiddo vs the Leader :psywoke:
Funny enough Pileosand should be the favorite to win here, and it's not a surprise with the wins she has taken. While Leo had an underwhelming start, I'm going for the risky read and predict Leo to win. Both of them know each other somewhat since they have been in the same team, and while I think Pileosand has the momentum going on, I'm seeing Leo is getting more closer to win his matches while Pileosand feels like she's getting closer to lose. Pileosand has the better teams, while I still think Leo is the better player. So it kinda evens it out. For the match itself, I've no idea how it ends up. I'll just say that while Leo is cheering for her, I don't think he wants to disappoint her so I'm seeing this match being close as it gets. I think both of them are even in early and mid-game, but the endgame is the most important. Either I'm seeing Leo is having the calculated win here, or Pileosand can either take the cleaner endgame or risk a 50/50 situation as she did against Rav3.

The only other reason why I'm betting for Leo is the "V" if you know what that is. I'm just saying that should be a lil factor that matters just in this match. :psysly:
Otherwise, I haven't seen those two play against each other, and it'll be a very "cursed" match haha. I think it's the closest MU for this week, even if the result does not reflect it. It's the match I'm looking forward to the most this week. Best of luck to both of you guys.

SS NFE: Greybaum vs Hys (35:65)
It's very rare that I'll see Hys playing NFE but I'll always welcome good players like him being back in action. Now I think Hys will give Greybaum a lot of trouble. Hys isn't a player that takes a lot of risks, but he will always try to find opportunities to limits the opponent's options and put them in deadly situations where he's able to sweep the game. One of the concerning problems I've with Greybaum is that he corners himself in very uncomfortable positions, where he's forced to make passive plays to keep himself alive. That's because he loses his offensive checks too early or gets them crippled/worn down and ends up fodder. Hys is the perfect player that's able to capitalize on these flaws to his advantage, basically a strong counter to Greybaum's playstyle. Hys's builds have also more favored matchup against Greybaum's balance teams. Just mostly because he has the mix of bulky offense cores, but also some deadly setup wincons. And that those type of teams causes bulky-balance teams a ton of trouble. My conclusion after seeing Greybaum's recent performance, and analyzing Hys by watching his replays(I forgot the count LMAO), Hys should win with no trouble. Should Greybaum have a chance to win over Hys, he has to adjust his plays and change his bulky-balance teams to something else. This could be Greybaum's most difficult challenger as I feel Hys is a counter to him as an NFE player.

Btw I intentionally added uppercase on the first letter of your name. And ngl some of you guys look mad ugly af with that uppercase lmao, not sorry.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)