Metagame NP: RU Stage 6 - I wanna be your dog (Light Clay banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denial

formerly Lunala
is a Past WCoP Champion
With the results of the survey now out, it may be nice to make a post to share my opinion on them. First results are always gonna be regular pool, while the second will be from the qualified pool.

:ss/toxtricity:
1619728638002.png
1619728663743.png

Not too much of a susprise here. Toxtricity has always been kind of the "noob" killer, really strong wallbreaker but with a lot of flaws. The bulk isn't great, and combined with only decent speed it's really easy to check for almost every team. Some recent trends like Diancie and Golurk definetly dont help, and it always has to dance around what coverage move to click since most teams will always have a Steel + Ground type (Steelix does not count). Overall, its a pretty cool mon but its nowhere near broken or problematic in my view.

:ss/togekiss:
1619730404629.png
1619730437123.png

Here the difference between regular and qualified is really crazy. Even tho qualified has shown some concerns with 16 votes on 3, regular supports the ban togekiss movement a lot. Personally, i feel like Togekiss is completely fine and pretty distant from being an issue. Yes, it can flinch some of its checks down, but the chances of it flinching down a Rhyperior are not as likely as you think they'll be. Regardless of all this, you shouldn't really try to check Togekiss with something slower than it. The occasions it actually gets the play the game are very rare too. Altho the typing looks good, in reality it doesnt really check much in this meta. Most fighters have coverage for it, and even a simple Knock Off is enough to neutralize it for most of the game, Zarude just U-turns on it, and if it's offensive Power Whip has decent chances to 3hko. Xurkitree and Raikou are also just really good and can check it pretty decently, considering they will most likely also have a sturdy Steel type with them. Diancie getting usage also does not help it at all. I do think it's a good Pokemon, but for the direction the meta is taking i don't really see it as an issue.

:ss/xurkitree:
- While on the topic of individual mons, Xurkitree got a lot of mentions in the other. Discussion over the Boots set has started to take off again in the Discord, is that the one pushing it over the top? We appreciate any clarification on this as it's definitely something we have talked about in Council but it rarely ever amounted to serious consideration so far.
Xurkitree is something that has been getting more and more usage as the meta developed. Coverage in Thunderbolt / Energy Ball / Dazzling Gleam / Volt Switch is almost uncheckable, and on top of this it's obviously really dummy strong. The addition of Boots also decently covers its poor bulk and typing. Obviously, it doesn't completely fix it and the rise of Roserade definetly doesn't help. My opinion on Xurk is that while counterplay exists, it's not really an healthy addition to the tier, especially considering the counterplays to Xurkitree are completely different from the 2 other electrics in the tier (Toxtricity and Raikou), so i'd be definetly down to get something done in the future. However, there's currently a more pressing issue.

1619733753456.png
1619733803803.png
1619733869981.png
Yaily all of those are just from your games hope you're proud

1619733939024.png
1619733961844.png

Both regular and qualified showed good concerns about hyper offense, with also both being more oriented torwards Screens and Necrozma. Now, why is exactly Screens seen more as a problem then let's say, Necrozma itself? The problem is that removing Necrozma wouldn't just fix the issue. Screens currently support an enormous amount of threats: Slurpuff, Necrozma, Linoone, Mimikyu, Poltergeist, or even healthy additions to the meta like Cobalion, Rhyperior or Zarude. There are more example of this like Tyrantrum or Xurkitree, and i could spend days talking about how many threats Screens supports but the point is still the same. There's also no main Screen Setter better than everyone else that we could try to take down; Frosslas, Raikou and Xatu are all just as good. Even stuff like Misty Terrain Weezing-Galar has been getting usage on those archetypes, since completely blocking statuses just removes another counterplay off the table. Overall, the council doesn't believe we can boil down the issue to one or two threats, and that looking at Screens themselves seems like the most efficient way of dealing with the issue.

Sorry if this post is kinda ugly, i usually try better but dont really have much time and wanted to share my opinion / the council opinion on screens asap. Thank you for reading.

unban zydog

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
:ss/xurkitree:
on xurkitree:
i think the tier is ok with xurkitree, though i dont rly mind if it goes. i've also noticed that it is a very easy breaker to put on a team (largely because of how electrics are near-mandatory with togekiss). however, i will offer a few points against it being broken;
  • it finds limited opportunities to switch in; togekiss is pretty much the only mon it gets free switch-in against, and uninvested flame does 32-38. its other opportunities come against, uh, pure waters like milo/suicune? which are quite rare. scarf can force out more things but is also a worse set and much more prediction-reliant.
  • it usually has to predict around the opponent's switches correctly. this can also be interpreted as the opponent being forced to predict correctly against you, but imo it is a two-way prediction game. will they stay in with the ground? will you click eball as they go to a resist like zarude, or will u gleam it on the switch? getting these prediction games right is very important for xurk's success.
  • medium speed tier makes it able to force out togekiss (good!) but forced out by most of the faster meta (rose, zarude, raikou being prominent examples), making it necessary to predict them on the switch. volt is 'free' if their ground-type is gastro (meaning they wouldn't dare stay in), sure, but volt isn't doing that much to switch-ins like the aforementioned raikou/rose/zarude, so you may have taken more damage than you dealt
  • there are checks, av reun / lax being the two most prominent special sponges that can switch in

i think xurkitree is very good but not banworthy right now. a lot of games vs xurkitree do depend solely on 50-50/guesswork type prediction, though, so the tier would prob be more skill-based if it left. not sure there's an imperative to pursue a ban though

====

:ss/togekiss:
on togekiss:
I find Togekiss quite restricting in the builder; needing to run one of Xurk/Raikou to be safe against it is very frustrating. sure, they are good mons, but should i really have 100% elec usage? (ok fine i could also use aero but like... theres a very narrow pool of reliable answers)

I agree with Lunala 's argument that it is balanced in-game; it struggles to reliably answer the tier's fighting-types, especially due to the poor state of removal in the tier (which makes knock off lethal). I also think it does positive things for the tier, like pressuring gastro and checking Noivern and Zarude.

However, the influence it has in builder is truly massive; basically any team without a Raikou/Boots Xurk is Togekiss weak, which is insane. I find it makes teambuilding very stale, though I can't say whether things would become worse if Togekiss were banned.

====
517545.png

on screens:

yea ho is crazy good right now, tons of threatening and reliable options. i support a light clay ban if policy review allows it. i also support a cloyster ban; even without screens, something like memento garde is fantastic at enabling it to suddenly just win the game. its lack of reliable counterplay might be worth looking at even if screens were removed from the tier.

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor
In SM ru banned screen abusers that probably didnt even necessarily fit the definition of 'broken'(linoone etc) instead of banning screens themselfs(or light clay), we should probably look to tackle the problem in a similar fashion if we are to tackle it at all, banning light clay or screens or what have you seems like overkill. You don't wanna just erase a style from the game

phantom

Banned deucer.
While I would normally agree with Diogo’s reasoning in going after the abuser before the playstyle, I think it’s a bit tricky in this case. The problem here is there is no common denominator to isolate. As Luna touched on earlier, the abusers are just as varied as the setters. The closest abuser you can make a case for is Necrozma and maybe Cloyster, but it’s possible to build successful screens teams without one or the other or even either, and this isn’t based on theory - several screen variations have popped up in RUPL and other tours that don’t share the same abusers or setters. If this is something the community wants to address, which based on the survey results it is, then I think there is no other way to deal with this issue than a clean screens ban.

Mac3

im reminded theres no finer place to kiss
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

I don't think screens is as overbearing as people make it out to be, having a winrate of just over 50% in RUPL, although I've been told that is consistent. Firstly I disagree with the opinion that you can just throw a bunch of sweepers on the team and call it a day, when I was building my first screens team during the Thundurus suspect test, I went through 5+ versions before I was happy with the result, and even then I couldn't get the reqs on ladder, although that could very well be due to my skill level as well. I usually consider typing and bulk pretty important on screens, as you want to be able to bring in a new sweeper to take advantage of whatever method of revenging the opponent's team has, for example, DD Scrafty + Slurpuff in pre-dlc RU.

What I'm getting to is that I think the right way to go about this, atleast to start with, would be to ban one of the staples on screens, Necrozma. From my experience using screens Necrozma gives the playstyle a lot of flexibility in play and in matchups due to its ability to set up on almost anything behind screens, especially if it also has misty terrain support. Teams that I've used without Necrozma really struggle with consistency which is why I think we should start by suspecting Necro, maybe even make a suspect ladder without it. Screens is a matchup reliant playstyle and if you neglect to cover it in builder thats on you in my opinion, similarly to deciding not to prepare for stall.

Last edited:

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor
While I would normally agree with Diogo’s reasoning in going after the abuser before the playstyle, I think it’s a bit tricky in this case. The problem here is there is no common denominator to isolate. As Luna touched on earlier, the abusers are just as varied as the setters. The closest abuser you can make a case for is Necrozma and maybe Cloyster, but it’s possible to build successful screens teams without one or the other or even either, and this isn’t based on theory - several screen variations have popped up in RUPL and other tours that don’t share the same abusers or setters. If this is something the community wants to address, which based on the survey results it is, then I think there is no other way to deal with this issue than a clean screens ban.
While the abusers may be varied is it not possible to define which of the abusers are the ones pushing the playstyle over the line? I feel like we need to remember that 'you can still make a successful screens team without x mon' isn't inherently something problematic. If it turns out theres some mons pushing screens over the edge then we should deal with those, however, if it turns out screens is just a good playstyle then we should just accept it as part of the metagame no?

While the abusers may be varied is it not possible to define which of the abusers are the ones pushing the play style over the line? I feel like we need to remember that 'you can still make a successful screens team without x mon' isn't inherently something problematic. If it turns out theres some mons pushing screens over the edge then we should deal with those, however, if it turns out screens is just a good play style then we should just accept it as part of the metagame no?
The issue is that this play style incredibly powerful and difficult to handle. Think of something like Baton Pass while nowhere near as powerful its a play style that was nueterd many times before its eventual ban for how powerful it was. Another example being weather in various lower tiers. The issue here is many players think the play style is much to overbearing for the metagame and needs to be nueterd. banning screens the one thing consistent on almost every HO team should help fix the issue. It is very difficult to check all of Necrozma, Cloyster, Slurpuff, Zarude and so many more behind screens. Zarude with Bulk Up and a Weakness Policy can easily beat Togekiss for example and if you rely on Togekiss as a reliable Zarude check that is tough. i could go on listing examples but i wont as so many Pokemon can just bypass their normal counter play due to screens.

I don't think screens is as overbearing as people make it out to be, having a winrate of just over 50% in RUPL, although I've been told that is consistent. Firstly I disagree with the opinion that you can just throw a bunch of sweepers on the team and call it a day, when I was building my first screens team during the Thundurus suspect test, I went through 5+ versions before I was happy with the result, and even then I couldn't get the reqs on ladder, although that could very well be due to my skill level as well. I usually consider typing and bulk pretty important on screens, as you want to be able to bring in a new sweeper to take advantage of whatever method of revenging the opponent's team has, for example, DD Scrafty + Slurpuff in pre-dlc RU.

What I'm getting to is that I think the right way to go about this, atleast to start with, would be to ban one of the staples on screens, Necrozma. From my experience using screens Necrozma gives the playstyle a lot of flexibility in play and in matchups due to its ability to set up on almost anything behind screens, especially if it also has misty terrain support. Teams that I've used without Necrozma really struggle with consistency which is why I think we should start by suspecting Necro, maybe even make a suspect ladder without it. Screens is a matchup reliant playstyle and if you neglect to cover it in builder thats on you in my opinion, similarly to deciding not to prepare for stall.
And as for mace its not easy to prepare for HO especailly when so many would be counter play is ruined by screens and possibly a weakness policy. Running something like Scarf Heacross to check Necrozma and Zarude is much less effective with the existence of Pokemon like Slurpuff who turn it into deadly set up oppurtunity. And if it is so simple to prep and deal with screens HO why don't you explain how to deal with all of Necrozma, Slurpuff, Zarude, Cloyster, Linoone and more. Even if you can deal with them your probably going out of your way in teambuilding to cover for so many different threats that you could lose to anyways.
EDIT: not having a perfect response to everything is reasonable. however when so many responses are invalidated by screens its an issue

Screens are pretty dumb rn. Everybody else has already talked about why they're dumb and what specifically makes them dumb, and I don't really have anything to add to that... so I'm talking about something else relating to a potential screens ban.

Ban transitivity! Always a fun thing except for when half of the time it isn't. For those unfamiliar, ban transitivity is basically just the idea of a higher tier banning something other than a Pokemon and that ban carrying down to lower tiers. For example, NU recently banned Snow Warning for being too overwhelming of a playstyle in their current metagame, which was all fine and dandy except for the part where that Snow Warning ban ended up being forced upon both PU and ZU despite it not being a problem in the slightest down there. Granted, this was more of a minor annoyance for random players who wanted to use things like Snow Warning Abomasnow, but the idea of a higher tan ban carrying on downwards through the tiering rung is what I'm getting at. Now, with ban transitivity, the thing that I'm trying to get at here is that if RU bans screen moves or the Light Clay item, then that would effectively ban those things in every tier lower than RU. In my eyes, this is pretty dumb, since it removes an entire playstyle in lower tiers where it isn't a problem for the metagame just because it was a problem in RU. This doesn't seem fair at all. Now, I'm not on RU council or any other tiering council, so I'm not gonna say that I have the definitive best take here, but personally, I think it would make more sense to ban some of the more obnoxious screens abusers that make the playstyle problematic, or at least see if there was a way to ban screens here without indirectly banning them in every tier lower than us.

I'm pretty sure if screens are not broken in NU and PU they can have them unbanned there but banned in RU should they wish - see the Drought clause in RU last gen where UU banned it but RU allowed it.
Nu have his problem with Screen with Xatu being a pretty good setter and Shell Smash Toise being so stupid rn...
Screen always gonna be a problem bc really limit the conterplay against offence and making HO wars all over the place with isn't balance at all.

Also always exist the problem about what is needed to be banned: the abusers? the setter? Light clay?..
My opinion is ban Light Clay but this nerf the playstile to trash level but i don't really care bc is so toxic time to time bc new abuser pop off and got banned increasing bl tier like last gen.

But this is my opinion in this regard
Fuck Screens

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
i think Misty Terrain is a relevant element to consider in the question of whether RU screens are broken. Misty Terrain Weezing cuts off a lot of counterplay to screens [status]; with screens reducing the effectiveness of direct damage as a form of counterplay and Misty Terrain eliminating status as a form of counterplay, many sweepers become nearly unstoppable.

It is def possible for screens sweepers to win without Misty Terrain, particularly mons like double dance Cobalion or Agility Metagross that are immune to Toxic. However, I think Misty Terrain should be considered one of the biggest enablers of the playstyle.

Hi RU
Yesterday the usage for May drop... We don't gain anything but this are the top 50 mons by usage in the tier
Combined usage for RU (1630 stats)
+ ---- + ------------------ + ------- +
| Rank | Pokemon | Percent |
+ ---- + ------------------ + ------- +
| 1 | Togekiss | 26.998% |
| 2 | Zarude | 25.417% |
| 3 | Metagross | 17.009% |
| 4 | Raikou | 16.140% |
| 5 | Xurkitree | 16.111% |
| 6 | Roserade | 15.993% |
| 7 | Seismitoad | 15.428% |
| 8 | Mienshao | 13.889% |
| 9 | Toxtricity | 13.485% |
| 10 | Suicune | 12.421% |
| 11 | Cobalion | 12.363% |
| 12 | Noivern | 12.092% |
| 13 | Incineroar | 11.877% |
| 14 | Heracross | 11.856% |
| 15 | Weezing-Galar | 11.735% |
| 16 | Crobat | 11.092% |
| 17 | Darmanitan | 10.850% |
| 18 | Barraskewda | 10.623% |
| 19 | Steelix | 10.398% |
| 20 | Mimikyu | 10.005% |
| 21 | Gastrodon | 9.854% |
| 22 | Cloyster | 9.746% |
| 23 | Klefki | 9.560% |
| 24 | Milotic | 9.239% |
| 25 | Necrozma | 9.057% |
| 26 | Rhyperior | 8.891% |
| 27 | Volcanion | 8.749% |
| 28 | Reuniclus | 8.397% |
| 29 | Porygon2 | 8.262% |
| 30 | Chandelure | 8.001% |
| 31 | Snorlax | 7.400% |
| 32 | Golisopod | 7.307% |
| 33 | Politoed | 7.055% |
| 34 | Stakataka | 6.962% |
| 35 | Registeel | 6.911% |
| 36 | Umbreon | 6.814% |
| 37 | Gardevoir | 6.656% |
| 38 | Flygon | 6.342% |
| 39 | Obstagoon | 6.229% |
| 40 | Marowak-Alola | 6.073% |
| 41 | Regidrago | 6.004% |
| 42 | Doublade | 5.487% |
| 43 | Sharpedo | 5.394% |
| 44 | Celebi | 4.883% |
| 45 | Tornadus | 4.632% |
| 46 | Aerodactyl | 3.108% |
| 47 | Electivire | 3.071% |
| 48 | Dhelmise | 3.068% |
| 49 | Durant | 3.059% |
| 50 | Kingdra | 3.031% |

As you can see the TOP 5 Mons are:
:ss/togekiss: :ss/zarude: :ss/metagross: :ss/raikou: :ss/xurkitree:
What did you think about that? They deserve this??

About drop and rise....
If this usage is the same in two mons the following change gonna happen:

Slowbro-Galar could move from RUBL to UU
Thundurus could move from RUBL to UU
Rhyperior could move from RU to UU
Zarude could move from RU to UU

Quagsire could move from UU to PU

Tornadus could move from NUBL to RU
Celebi could move from NU to RU
Flygon could move from NU to RU
Politoed could move from ZU to RU

What is your opinions about posible drop and rises?

As always all information is in this link https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/usage-based-tier-update-for-april-2021-may-70.3681278/page-3

Have a nice week

yes im doing tier shifts analyses one week late stfu
(Pabloaram is a goat)

TIER SHIFTS:
alright lets do this i'm going to compare the usage stats of Jan Feb and March to our latest tier shifts in order to see if there's any interesting metagame trends developing right now as a result of the zygarde 10% and slowbro galar ban. (AND OTHER STUFF OK)
INCREASE IN USAGE %
:roserade: 5.023% -> 15.993% (#41->#6)
One of the biggest rises in terms of usage, Roserade usage has skyrocketed in the last month as a way to combat the ever growing in prominence electric types, setting up spikes and absorbing status with its great natural cure ability. with 2 electric types in the top 5, it is no surprise that roserade has risen in usage to be one of the best proactive checks to tier titans raikou and xurkitree, along with being a great scald absorber and bulky water check. being a grass that doesnt lose to top mon togekiss helps as well. previously held back as a grass that didnt resist zydog's thousand arrows, it no longer has that constraint, setting itself up in the top 10 mons by usage in these april tier shifts.

:metagross: 11.714%-> 17.009% (#11->#3)
Big Bad Metagross climbs up further atop the rankings, moving from a respectable 11th to one of the top 3 mons by usage, benefitting from the more offensively inclined nature of the meta. it is a great stealth rocks setter, maintaining a solid defensive profile while hitting really damn hard with just a little investment. it also serves as an offensive check to the utility variants of the ever-present togekiss which is an obvious plus. being a steel that hits the electrics really hard with coverage is also a great bonus to have (DO NOT USE METAGROSS AS AN ELECTRIC CHECK PLEASE)

:mienshao: 7.525%-> 13.889% (#28 ->#8)
Mienshao took a huge hike in usage as well, functioning as one of the best, if not the best scarfer in the tier. it serves as a great revenge killer to most of the top 10 after some chip and can still nail togekiss with a stone edge. it is also a momentum machine, u-turning on pokemon it cant beat and nullifying chip damage such as rocky helmet because of regenerator. another pokemon that benefits from the momentum driven, offensive nature of the metagame.

:gastrodon: 4.875%-> 9.854% (#43->#21)
Gastrodon is IN right now, taking a big jump to feature just outside the top 20 of RU's usage stats. it is a fantastic blanket check to so many pokemon right now, ranging from raikou, steels and fires to the water fish barraskewda and can even handle noivern in a pinch with the right moveset. overall a great mon and definitely deserves its rise.

:flygon: 3.938%-> 6.342% (#46->#38)
a relatively smaller rise, flygon looks to be on the course to return to RU next shifts if its usage continues to increase. it functions as a good offensive electric check that offers decent pivoting abilities with U-turn, speed control with scarf or hazard removal as a defogger. Expulso made a great post on flygon here that goes into detail on its abilities and is a good read in general.

:tornadus: 3.021% -> 4.632% (#51-> #45)
budget thundurus that needs glasses speedrun any%

:politoed: 2.967% -> 7.055% (#52->#33)
Rain has witnessed a resurgency in RU because of barraskewda's drop and politoed is the biggest benefactor of that particular development, being the only (and by extension, best) auto-rain setter that is legal in lower tiers. thats pretty much what it does as it's outclassed at everything else by any other RU legal pokemon.

DECREASE IN USAGE %

:zarude: 32.186% -> 25.417% (#1->#2)
zarude has finally been dethroned from the top of the usage stats, falling around 7% in usage. as the influence of its checks like togekiss, noivern, crobat, cobalion and so on grows, its own offensive prowess is on the decline. there's just many more things that invalidate zarude now, and while it is still a great pokemon, it is no long the tier king anymore.

:milotic: 11.922% -> 9.239% (#10->#24)
the metagame has not been kind to milotic. as the usage of electric types continues to be high, milotic simply fails to offer anything much of note when compared to its water/ground brethren that offer much more in the context of the current metagame.

:klefki: 11.634% -> 9.560% (#12->#23)
at first sight, it's confusing to see klefki drop in usage in a metagame where screens are very good. however upon further inspection, it is seen that people have begun to use pokemon such as raikou and virizion on their screens teams more, with raikou providing a fast volt switch and virizion providing taunt as screens setters. its viability as a spikes setter has also been encroached on by roserade and golisopod, both of which boast a greater offensive presence than it.

To close this post out I will drop some questions if anyone wants to answer. (stolen from Turtledoggo21 lol)

1. Thoughts on the meta? Are you enjoying it or do you think it needs work? Rate it on a scale of 1-10 (1 is bad and 10 is good)
2. Are there any rises/drops in usage you expected?
3. Conversely, are there any rises/drops in usage that took you by surprise?
4. What trends/Pokemon do you think will continue to see higher usage?
5. Any underrated Pokemon or sets that you have been trying out that you want to share?

thanks for reading this, have a team.

ciao.

Last edited:
In SM ru banned screen abusers that probably didnt even necessarily fit the definition of 'broken'(linoone etc) instead of banning screens themselfs(or light clay), we should probably look to tackle the problem in a similar fashion if we are to tackle it at all, banning light clay or screens or what have you seems like overkill. You don't wanna just erase a style from the game
Linoone would still be broken without screens to be honest. Belly Drum + Extreme Speed is just that potent of a combination.

I would like to talk about a certain mon that I feel could have a solid spot in certain team archetypes that would as a whole boost them.

:ss/Magneton:
Magneton @ Eviolite
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magnet Rise
- Metal Sound
- Steel Beam
- Thunderbolt

After watching a ton of RUPL replays i was shocked to see how strong the Volt-Turn archetype is right now, but it seems to have an overall weakness, removing Steels. So today I reveal the beast ive been labbing for a week or two. This Magneton set traps and kills EVERY STEEL (except max speed Metagross, but it does beat the slow rocks set.) The concept is simple, VoltTurn around with easy steel baits until your oppo brings in their steel, and now its gone. But as ive experienced before, yall dont care about talk so ill go straight into the calcs.
252+ SpA Magneton Steel Beam vs. -4 252 HP / 252+ SpD Steelix: 336-396 (94.9 - 111.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
4 Atk Steelix Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Magneton: 19-23 (6.6 - 8%) -- possibly the worst move ever

252 Atk Cobalion Close Combat vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Magneton: 212-252 (74.1 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Magneton Thunderbolt vs. -1 0 HP / 0 SpD Cobalion: 300-354 (92.8 - 109.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

4 Def Stakataka Body Press vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Magneton: 156-184 (54.5 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Magneton Steel Beam vs. -2 252 HP / 252+ SpD Stakataka: 339-400 (103.9 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Magneton Thunderbolt vs. -4 252 HP / 76 SpD Metagross: 460-543 (126.3 - 149.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
124+ Atk Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Magneton: 26-31 (9 - 10.8%) -- possible 9HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Magneton Thunderbolt vs. -4 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 246-291 (67.5 - 79.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Registeel Heavy Slam (80 BP) vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Magneton: 12-14 (4.1 - 4.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever

252+ SpA Magneton Thunderbolt vs. -2 212 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 360-424 (115.3 - 135.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Doublade Close Combat vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Magneton: 180-212 (62.9 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Magneton Thunderbolt vs. -4 252 HP / 252+ SpD Bronzong: 297-351 (87.8 - 103.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Bronzong Psychic vs. 180 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Magneton: 36-42 (12.5 - 14.6%) -- possible 7HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Magneton Steel Beam vs. -2 252 HP / 240+ SpD Klefki: 378-445 (118.8 - 139.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Klefki Dazzling Gleam vs. 180 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Magneton: 32-38 (11.1 - 13.2%) -- possible 8HKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
I would like to talk about a certain mon that I feel could have a solid spot in certain team archetypes that would as a whole boost them.

:ss/Magneton:
Magneton @ Eviolite
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Metal Sound
- Steel Beam
- Thunderbolt

After watching a tone of RUPL replays i was shocked to see how strong the Volt-Turn archetype is right now, but its seems to have an overall weakness, removing Steels. So today I reveal the beast ive been labbing for a week or two. This Magneton set traps and kills EVERY STEEL (except max speed Metagross, but it does beat the slow rocks set.) The concept is simple, VoltTurn around with easy steels baits until your oppo brings in their steel, and now its gone. But as ive experienced before, yall dont care about talk so ill go straight into the calcs.
252+ SpA Magneton Steel Beam vs. -4 252 HP / 252+ SpD Steelix: 336-396 (94.9 - 111.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
4 Atk Steelix Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Magneton: 19-23 (6.6 - 8%) -- possibly the worst move ever

252 Atk Cobalion Close Combat vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Magneton: 212-252 (74.1 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Magneton Thunderbolt vs. -1 0 HP / 0 SpD Cobalion: 300-354 (92.8 - 109.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

4 Def Stakataka Body Press vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Magneton: 156-184 (54.5 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Magneton Steel Beam vs. -2 252 HP / 252+ SpD Stakataka: 339-400 (103.9 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Magneton Thunderbolt vs. -4 252 HP / 76 SpD Metagross: 460-543 (126.3 - 149.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
124+ Atk Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Magneton: 26-31 (9 - 10.8%) -- possible 9HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Magneton Thunderbolt vs. -4 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 246-291 (67.5 - 79.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Registeel Heavy Slam (80 BP) vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Magneton: 12-14 (4.1 - 4.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever

252+ SpA Magneton Thunderbolt vs. -2 212 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 360-424 (115.3 - 135.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Doublade Close Combat vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Magneton: 180-212 (62.9 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Magneton Thunderbolt vs. -4 252 HP / 252+ SpD Bronzong: 297-351 (87.8 - 103.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Bronzong Psychic vs. 180 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Magneton: 36-42 (12.5 - 14.6%) -- possible 7HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Magneton Steel Beam vs. -2 252 HP / 240+ SpD Klefki: 378-445 (118.8 - 139.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Klefki Dazzling Gleam vs. 180 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Magneton: 32-38 (11.1 - 13.2%) -- possible 8HKO after Stealth Rock
You can't actually trap Doublade as it's a Ghost-Type and Rocks cobalion can Volt Switch out. Iron Defense Body Press Steelix can beat it. the last one is uncommon just saying not every steel type except Metagross. Metagross also does not need max speed since this magneton set isn't max speed. Also you include body press in your calcs yet no Body Press Magneton on the set. Also this set can't actually swap into almost any of the Steels safetly so you need support to do so. should have mentioned what type of support even if its obvious.
Just thinking Iron Press is probably Viable to trap Body Pressers's like Steelix and Stakataka better. Air Balloon is probably worth considering to actually swap into EQ and immediately trap.

Magneton @ Eviolite
Ability: Magnet Pull EDIT Thanks you Mace MAGNETON DOES NOT GET BODY PRESS though
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spa
- Magnet Rise / Rest ( you can actually beat some of the EQ users look at the calcs.
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Thunderbolt
(Note that you can run speed to trap metagross however running speed to trap metagross means you could potentailly lose to Cobalion with SR up depending on how much bulk you took.)
4 Atk Steelix Earthquake vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Magneton: 100-120 (32.8 - 39.4%) -- 96.9% chance to 3HKO
124+ Atk Metagross Earthquake vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Magneton: 112-136 (36.8 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Cobalion Close Combat vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Magneton: 78-92 (25.6 - 30.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
EDIT: Added the EVs lol

Last edited:
You can't actually trap Doublade as it's a Ghost-Type and Rocks cobalion can Volt Switch out. Iron Defense Body Press Steelix can beat it. the last one is uncommon just saying not every steel type except Metagross. Metagross also does not need max speed since this magneton set isn't max speed. Also you include body press in your calcs yet no Body Press Magneton on the set. Also this set can't actually swap into almost any of the Steels safetly so you need support to do so. should have mentioned what type of support even if its obvious.
Just thinking Iron Press is probably Viable to trap Body Pressers's like Steelix and Stakataka better. Air Balloon is probably worth considering to actually swap into EQ and immediately trap.

Magneton @ Eviolite
- Magnet Rise / Rest ( you can actually beat some of the EQ users look at the calcs.
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Thunderbolt
(Note that you can run speed to trap metagross however running speed to trap metagross means you could potentailly lose to Cobalion with SR up depending on how much bulk you took.)
4 Atk Steelix Earthquake vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Magneton: 100-120 (32.8 - 39.4%) -- 96.9% chance to 3HKO
124+ Atk Metagross Earthquake vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Magneton: 112-136 (36.8 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Cobalion Close Combat vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Magneton: 78-92 (25.6 - 30.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
love this, thanks for contributing to the Magneton Arc, haven’t given Iron Defense a whirl but will definitely try this set.

Mac3

im reminded theres no finer place to kiss
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Magneton @ Eviolite
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Thunderbolt
dont get bpress :(

About the Magneton gang you dont need to ohko every steel type to be usefull, mostly because neither has recovery.. Chipping Metagross is great in the long run

About the Magneton gang you dont need to ohko every steel type to be usefull, mostly because neither has recovery.. Chipping Metagross is great in the long run
i agree, most steels don’t need to get OHKOd to make an impact for certain mons, but why not do it if you have the tools to :)

Magneton @ Eviolite
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Thunderbolt
I was wrong thank you Mace for pointing out it does not learn that. So to trap Steelix you can run Substitute, Iron Defense and Rest. this way you can beat Steelix by PP stalling it. Substitute helps stall out Earthquake as at plus 6 your substitute will take 2 EQs, its primariy purpose however is to reduce the chance of Magneton being crit and stalling a few EQs. This set can reliably trap Registeel due to Rest and Iron Defense as well. This sets main advantage over the metal sound is being able to reliably trap Steelix as Body Press would 2hko Magneton. another advantage is actual defensive utility being able to swap into Stakataka and body press Steelix proceeding to trap and beat them. also isn't reliant on the shacky accuracy of Metal Sound vs Pokemon like Stakataka, and Body Press Bronzong. Also having recovery in rest and being bulky makes it more forgiving in general as it will not need to be in pristine condition to trap pokemon like Registeel, and Bronzong.

:SS/magneton:
Magneton @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt / Charge Beam
- Iron Defense

Last edited:
Honestly, I can't see Magneton being particularly great. It's like mini Magnezone, but without Body Press and worse stats in almost everything in exchange for Eviolite compatibility and 10 more speed. Sure, trapping Steels is cool, but all I can think about when I look at Magneton is how thoroughly mediocre Magnezone was when it dropped down here...
Now, don't get me wrong. Not saying this mon is unviable. Just saying that I don't think it's consistent or good enough to be a mainstay here. Situational usability, limited opportunities to come in and actually do anything, the fact that it can just flat out lose to random stuff like Metagross with relatively large amounts of speed investment and Earthquake or a Cobalion that clicks SD on the switch- let's not even get into the fact that this thing doesn't have the move slots needed to run Volt Switch and effectively trap Steels at the same time. That kinda sucks given that you're mainly suggesting this mon for usage on VoltTurn teams. Also, given the reliance on Eviolite to compensate for otherwise mediocre bulk and a flat-out bad HP stat, this mon is extremely prone to chip damage from hazards/potential recoil/literally any damaging move. I can't see this mon being useful outside of the 1 time per game where it traps a Steel and then maybe kills it if it has the right matchup. On paper, it checks Togekiss, sure, but if this mon loses its Eviolite at all or even if it just takes some chip damage from hazards(which, again, it can't avoid due to needing Eviolite in the item slot to be even worth considering) Togekiss just clicks a coverage move on the switch and 2HKO's it. Also, if this thing is your only Steel and/or Electric, then Togekiss just goes haywire after the fact, and if you have another Steel-type, then you're likely stacking Mienshao Fighting- and/or Ground-type weaknesses, which leads to even more building problems. Stacking Electric types isn't really that bad defensively in the current meta, but Magneton has so little synergy with any of the Electric-types here except for maybe Toxtricity that I wouldn't even bother. Hard C+ on this mon for me.

TL;DR - Magneton is mediocre at best and I can't see it consistently trapping Steels on a game-to-game basis unless it has exactly the right matchup, and it's a pretty weak mon outside of this role that seems to more often than not lead to issues in teambuilding due to its limited utility both offensively and defensively.

Edit: I forgot that other fighting types exist that aren't named mienshao rofl
8 SpA Togekiss Aura Sphere vs. 180 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Magneton: 122-144 (42.6 - 50.3%) -- 91% chance to 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes
8 SpA Togekiss Flamethrower vs. 180 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Magneton: 136-162 (47.5 - 56.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
8 SpA Togekiss Aura Sphere vs. 180 HP / 0 SpD Magneton: 182-216 (63.6 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
8 SpA Togekiss Flamethrower vs. 180 HP / 0 SpD Magneton: 204-242 (71.3 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)