Project SS DOU Teambuilding Competition v.2 - Week 15: Diancie (Voting Phase)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxigen

get numb to it
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Unfortunately, Yellow Paint's team is too similar to NotIPrimRose's team, using the exact same 6 Pokemon and only with slight changes to the sets. The Drifblim sets actually differ quite a bit but the teams are too similar and I have to include NotlPrimRose team since they posted first. I'm very sorry, since YP even said that they were working on it and I appreciate greatly people taking time of their day off to help the growth of this project (and consequently Doubles OU) but I have to enforce rules at some point. I want you back for next week, you're a great poster and presence. As for NotlPrimRose, to post sprites you just have to put the name of the pokemon between ": :"
For example :pokemon: (i cant put the actual name of the pokemon otherwise a sprite will show up, but you get the idea). This could also help seeing the team composition just by looking at the sprites, and if the team is too similar adjust accordingly to make the necessary changes to differentiate teams. Also, i know GMA's team is very similar to both of these 2 teams, but it changes in one slot so i'll give him a pass on that one.

With all that out of the way, its time to vote!

Team 1: :drifblim: :tapu-lele: :necrozma: :heatran: :urshifu: :kartana: by NotlPrimRose
Team 2: :drifblim: :rillaboom: :heatran: :urshifu: :kartana: :tyranitar: by AuraRayquaza
Team 3: :tapu-lele: :drifblim: :zygarde: :heatran: :kartana::urshifu: by Grandmas Cookin
Team 4: :accelgor: :tapu-koko: :sneasel: :drifblim: :klefki: :palossand: by TTT444
Team 5: :drifblim: :rillaboom: :grimmsnarl: :zygarde: :volcanion: :metagross: by Platinum God n1n1

Voting ends on 07/04 at 11:59 PM. EST

Last edited:

Toxigen

get numb to it
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Very sorry for the delay but i was busy all day long. Its the closest week we've had so far, with everyone on 2 votes and no clear winner, but we need one. And it is... Grandmas Cookin! With Drifblim you can only do so much in terms of building a strong team, and i felt like GMA's was the most solid and competitive looking team out of all 5 posted. Aura's team is also pretty cool and could have easily won, but i chose team 3 for the reasons stated above. And now onto week 7!

:SS/tyranitar: :SS/gigalith:

I think sand is under explored as of late. It can be used in a variety of different ways and with different abusers. Kartana, for example, appreciates Tyranitar's ability to check Zapdos and Dragapult, which are the best Kart checks at the moment, while Pokemon like Dracozolt and Excadrill use Sand to double their speed and fire off very strong attacks. Gigalith can be used in bulkier teams, even with the option to run it on semi-Trick Room teams. Im very curious on the teams you guys will come up this week, hope to see some fire.

Deadline for the building phase is on 07/09 at 11:59 PM. EST

Noelle

Trying my best
is a Community Contributor
Ok, i'm done with my team, so i'll post it ig

:diancie: :gigalith: :volcanion: :rillaboom: :genesect: :kartana:

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/e88db2d3eed06336

I actually have a lot of sand teams, but my favorite one is extremely similar to hoarmir's sand team and it was kinda generic.i feel like everyone knows about that team so i wanted to make something more original.you know how rock types get a boost to spdef in sandstorm? yeah, this team really abuses that. the general idea is get up trick room or tailwind, remove all the things the opponent has that threaten diancie such as rillaboom, urshifu, genesect and so on and then bulldoze to activate diancie's weakness policy as a mid/late game win condition. bulldoze is also weakened by rillaboom's grassy terrain, so you're doing no type of damage to diancie. gigalith is also slower than diancie, meaning it moves first in tr, which also means you're basically guaranteed to get bulldoze off. diancie is the star of the show, but it's set is quite generic and the evs are pretty simple (252/176/80 with a +spdef nature is more efficient than the standard set, so i used that for this team instead) so i'm just gonna move on to gigalith, because i have a lot to say about my boi gigalith. gigalith is a fat boi that works well in tr and can support diancie by punishing switching with rocks and protects diancie from zygarde with wide guard. bulldoze was added over superpower because it means diancie's weakness policy will always end up being useful no matter what and gives the team even more speed control. rock slide is just there for stab. i didn't invest in spdef because, again, i'm REALLY abusing sand mechanics here, and sitrus berry gives gigalith a little more survivability. it used to be chople berry but after testing it proved to be quite useless, so sitrus it is. rillaboom is here to beat shifu, provide grassy terrain for gigalith and kart, and give the team some fake out support. the set and evs are simple, not much to say about this one. same goes for volcanion. it can swap in to eat a surging strikes from urshifu or an eruption from heatran and beats kartana, rillaboom, and heatran. volcanion is kinda a no brainer on every semiroom team i make. it has 3 4x resists, decent bulk, a great stab combo, and hits like a truck. genesect is my favorite scarfer and beats zygarde, opposing diancie, kyu b and rillaboom, so that's why it's here. tbolt over flamethrower because i already have fire coverage and bolt beam is amazing. and finally, kartana. kartana was added last minute as a tailwind setter that can abuse rillaboom's terrain. it also beats shifu and has snowball potential, meaning the team has a secondary win condition in case diancie doesn't work for whatever reason. again, scope lens broken, pls ban. ok, that's pretty much everything i have to say. also, i'll just address this now because i know someone's gonna ask me about this: yes, it was based on one of n1n1's seasonal teams, but i changed a decent bit about it, like the evs, movesets, and some of the mons, so i'm posting it anyway because it's different enough in my opinion to be considered a kinda original team. still waiting for alolachu to get chosen, i already have the team, so when it does get picked i'm posting that shit so fast. ok bye

Well after NotlPrimRose posted I can safely post without being the first so here you go.

:Tyranitar: :Dracozolt: :Tsareena: :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: :Kartana: :Metagross:

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/733e8ffbe4bc68a1

So this Is a pretty standard weather team following the formula of Setter / Abuser / Prioblock / Broken Mon / Tailwind / Steel Type. I added Scarf Tar for maximum fun Flamethrower to pwn Kart thru Intim and Cb Zolt cuz Bolt Beak stronk, yes I could have gone with the far superior mixed lo set but watching shit drop is so satisfying. Tsar evs are Max Hp Speed for Rilla then dump Attack I added Feint+Cb Zolt for extra spice. Urshifu because broken mon as well as killing off annoying grounds which Tsar also helps with. Kartana as its the n1 mon in the tier plus grounds die, tw, and grass spam good. Then gross for Rocks bc ttar isnt getting um up and to be the glue holding this team together as a steel bc Kart dies to Ember. Side note this is also a full psychical which kinda sucks but broken crit mons help with that. Also some post a Hippo team please.

Last edited:

Paraplegic

relax...
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
:ss/Garchomp: :ss/togekiss: :ss/kartana: :ss/gigalith: :ss/rillaboom: :ss/dracozolt:
So upon seeing the prompt this week, I instantly thought of something I figured no one else would and so I figured might as well participate for the fun of it. Garchomp is a super fun and honestly not terrible mon, bright powder+sand veil is legal for some reason so its a mon that can just win games on its own if things go your way. Even without misses, its speed tier, stabs, defensive typing, and bulk are all useful enough where it legitimately will contribute things on a game to game basis. Hp allows its sub to always survive timid charcoal trans heatwave(iirc) for free ass set up(this hp is also a bit more than enough to avoid 2hko from band zyg tarrows), and the speed investment is only 248+ instead of 252 because I outsped up to lando-i but the last ev felt more useful in attack than speed since Im not worried about chomp mirrors lol, rest just an attack dump to give it as much power to start with as possible so you have something to beef up with sd. Togekiss redirects certain things for chomp to allow it to get the ball rolling easier sometimes before you have to start fishing for misses. It also is just a super good mon right now, checks a lot, and brings utility out the ass. Outspeeds tran so instead of you eating an eruption it just doesnt get to move, max hp and def dump with the remaining evs. Kart is an incredibly good mon so I added it next mostly because its kart. I finally decided to add my sand setter next, and settled on gigalith because I had decided I wanted to use eject button on my setter and I figured gigalith was probably gonna be the best user of that and it gets good move wide guard to actually bring utility to the table after it burns its free switch. Evs are just max hp, hit an arbitrary jump point in defense and decided it was good, and then dumped the rest in spdef. I added rillaboom next because not only did it actually fit amazingly well, but it is a mon that should be on most teams due to the sheer amount of role compression it brings in terms of checking things as well as enabling many strategies that would otherwise be far worse if not entirely invalid, this one included. Its superpower to bop kart and kyube while still hitting tran because that felt way better than wood hammer and ground move here. Final mon I decided on was dracozolt, mostly because it also abused sand, happened to bring resists I liked, and because I really like paleontology and think this gens fossils are hilarious due to what they are a reference to(even if what they are referencing itself isnt funny at all D:). Also offensively checks kart which is cool because everything else either only defensively reacts to kart, doesnt beat kart, or is kart and it becomes coin flips. Spa evs ohko 4 hp zyg, speed was just me attempting to creep finis outside of sand because I didnt think of anything else worth reaching for, attack dump to make bolt beak nuke like its supposed to. General strategy is simple enough, I generally try to trade up early game with dracozolt, using rillaboom and/or togekiss to enable it doing so. After hopefully going up in mons, I simply try to leverage the remaining pieces I have to put chomp in a position to get up a sub and either start throwing out attacks or racking up boosts, while trying to maintain sand so it can benefit from its pretty nice chance to dodge any given attack and generate free turns. Proper usage/timing of gigalith's ebutton is imperative to this teams success, proccing it too early or for no reason usually throws all momentum out the door and then youre left on the backfoot for the rest of the game. So like lead sequence is usually lith+zolt, pivot lith out into one of kiss or rilla, whichever is better, while zolt clicks the appropriate button. Proceed to use which ever mon you switched in to enable zolt taking kos until zolt goes down, at which point you get out of flow chart mode and start thinking about how chomp is gonna win. Heres a replay I just got from ladder(where I didnt follow the described lead sequence but it was because the lead choice I made won on the spot) that shows both of the sand abusers going in on a team mostly without the help of sand: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1373287034-xrmbwndolvipzh8fyibtqqfx8y4hom4pw . I hope that if anybody tries the team the enjoy it because I think abusing evasion like this can be a really fun(ny) way of skewing risk reward waaayyyy in your favor in scenarios you should have no business being able to do so in.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
:kartana: :urshifu-rapid-strike: :togekiss: :rillaboom: :tyranitar: :dragapult:
Kartana @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Giga Impact

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Mystic Water
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Substitute
- Protect

Togekiss @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 240 HP / 88 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind
- Follow Me

Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 232 HP / 16 Atk / 116 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn
- High Horsepower

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 200 HP / 148 Atk / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
This was the team that inspired me to submit CB Giga Impact Kart to Next Best Thing. That particular Kart set is great for removing Zapdos and Grass-types -- two things that Urshifu-R hates. Togekiss acts as a solid redirector for the pair, which allows Kart to get away with needing a recharge turn and gives Urshifu-R a chance to Sub up, while also offering TW support. Then I added a Rillaboom, which enables Kart further. At this point, the team was weak to a few things -- Dragapult, Kyurem-B, and Volcanion being my main concerns. Tyranitar covers the first two quite well and offers sand + SR to chip things into range for Kart to clean late-game, and Dragapult offers a few key resistances with some cleaning potential of its own.

This team definitely has some faults; for example, Genesect can be problematic and TR is tough to prevent or stall out. Still, it's a fun team that takes advantage of Sand pretty well, providing chip damage for the cleaners and enabling Safety Goggles Togekiss to redirect Amoonguss more reliably.

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
:tyranitar::diancie::dragapult::virizion::volcanion::tapu-lele:
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Ice Punch

Diancie @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 104 SpA / 60 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Trick Room
- Protect

Dragapult @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Beat Up
- Ally Switch

Virizion @ Kee Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Substitute
- Protect

Volcanion @ Quick Claw
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 224 HP / 252 SpA / 32 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Substitute
- Protect

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Speed Swap
So, the main plan of this team was Rock spam semiroom with Ttar and Diancie, trying to wear down checks and maximize sand value. Pult was a natural addition for its strong matchups against Kart and Zyg, and then I decided to add the Beat Up package with Virizion, which is also excellent against Kart and Urshi. Volcanion is fairly standard (Quick Claw best item!), a classic partner for Diancie semi. Finally, I added Scarf Lele to block Fake Out and Glide and check +1 Zyg, with extra spice in Speed Swap, letting Diancie, TTar, or Volcanion pull off some surprises outside of TR. I've had a lot of these sets and cores floating around my builder, and it was great to finally put em to use in a pretty fun comp. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)