Tournament MLT VII Discussion

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader

Art by Ticken / Approved by the Forum Mods / Co-hosted with Bondie

It's that time of the year again. Welcome to the seventh iteration of the Monotype Ladder Tournament. This tournament is a part of the 2021 circuit, meaning wins in this tournament WILL count towards the Monotype Ribbon (
). The host of this tournament are maroon & Bondie and this year we will be using the Monotype Events room (which is public for the duration of the tournament) as a host for the POSHO 9000 bot (*) hosted by pre.

This tournament will consist of two stages:

1. The first is the actual laddering portion of the tournament, which will last for four weeks. The four participants with the highest ELO at the end of each week will be entered into the playoffs. If a player "won" for multiple weeks, the next highest-rated person will be admitted into the playoffs.

Tiebreak Ruling: If two players were to have the same ELO for 8th and 9th place, the player that progresses will be the user with the highest GXE for example:
#4: MLT7C1 Bondie - 1749 - 85%
#5: MLT7C1 maroon - 1749 - 84%
Tiebreak rules will declare MLT7C1 Bondie as the 4th place user of the cycle.

If two players are tied in both ELO and GXE, then a best of three of SS Monotype will serve as the tiebreaker.

2. At the end of the laddering stage (stage one), the Playoffs will start with the 16 top ladder players of the month. Pairings will be randomized. More information on format and rules are listed below.

Since there is a possibility we will need substitutes for the tournament, we'll take the 5th and 6th place users in each period and randomize them as subs if needed. If you qualify as #5 or #6, you are still able to participate in other cycles and try to qualify for the top 4 of a given cycle.
Before you start laddering, you MUST create a fresh alt and post the name with the tag for that cycle (don't forget to register the alt!). YOU MAY HAVE 1 ALT PER CYCLE.

• This will allow us to track who is actually entered into the tournament, and more importantly, that everyone starts on fresh alts.
  • In regards to the discussion in this thread, I will allow discussion of what you guys see on the ladder. This can be anything from ladder trends to who's making a large push on the ladder. This is meant to be a competition of sorts, so compete and talk about it.
  • You can sign up at any point during any cycle, but you must use new alts with the correct tag for each cycle.

Before participating in the tournament, take a moment to read the tournament rules:
Tournament Rules
Guidelines

Any person found cheating will be subject to strict punishments.
To add onto that: if we have a reason to believe you forfeited or tied a game that you don't believe to be lost or endless respectively, you will be sanctioned.

Cycle 1 will start on Monday, July 26th. Each cycle will shift 6 hours for consideration of timezones. Feel free to use this thread as a metagame discussion and/or shitpost thread for anything relating to MLT!

can someone explain why on earth it was changed to 4 people per week? it is already pretty shit if you are using mlt to qualify for circuit and dropping the amount of people that qualify just means you win less points from it for way more effort

i genuinely dont see any positives on changing to 4, 8 worked last year what has changed since then

can someone explain why on earth it was changed to 4 people per week? it is already pretty shit if you are using mlt to qualify for circuit and dropping the amount of people that qualify just means you win less points from it for way more effort

i genuinely dont see any positives on changing to 4, 8 worked last year what has changed since then
Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 1.34.21 AM.png

It was changed because they no longer want to see people qualifying with based mons like Dartrix and Emolga

Relevant replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1170459103

https://www.smogon.com/stats/2020-08/monotype/gen8monotype-monoflying-1760.txt -- see the top 6 used mons

Too bad it doesn't matter because people will use based mons regardless

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
thank you for your incredibly well thought out response as usual
can someone with a brain reply, thanks
As the person who was pushing for MLT to change to top 4 instead of top 8 I'll respond to this in the thread, even if I already responded to you privately. I wanted to try out MLT being top 4 again because it increases the competitiveness of the tournament when the bar is set higher for qualifications. It also motivates people to try hard to succeed in playoffs after they've already worked their ass off to grab a qualifying spot. Having ladder tournaments require top 4 people to qualify has worked out well in the past for other tiers and Monotype included, and I honestly think 32 people qualifying for any tier not named OU due to its infinite playerbase is too much. Whether or not MLT stays top 4 can be a topic in the future depending on how this one goes, but so far top 4 has been working well to me. With that being said, good luck to anyone who's trying to nab a playoffs spot. The games have been fun to watch so far and I imagine the race to qualify will be close and exciting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)