Favorite Pokedex Entry?

I don't know if this counts as a Pokedex entry but...why is Lucario so short? It's Pokedex says it's only 3 foot 10. In the anime it's the same height as Ash so either the entry is a lie or Ash is a short king

Daylight

angels roll their eyes
is an Artistis a Contributor to Smogon
I don't know if this counts as a Pokedex entry but...why is Lucario so short? It's Pokedex says it's only 3 foot 10. In the anime it's the same height as Ash so either the entry is a lie or Ash is a short king
The weights and heights in the Pokédex are usually pretty weird and not accurate to how they’re usually portrayed. For example, Wailord weighs only like 900lbs according to the Pokédex—less than a ton. Whales in real life can weigh 200 tons. Their weights are usually in the tens of thousands of pounds range—not less than a thousand. So yeah… the Pokédex is weird.

The weights and heights in the Pokédex are usually pretty weird and not accurate to how they’re usually portrayed. For example, Wailord weighs only like 900lbs according to the Pokédex—less than a ton. Whales in real life can weigh 200 tons. Their weights are usually in the tens of thousands of pounds range—not less than a thousand. So yeah… the Pokédex is weird.
Another offender is Salamence - depending on whether you interpret its height (4'11") as head-to-toe or head-to-tail, it's either shorter than you'd expect, or absolutely tiny.

Yeah at this point I see the Pokedex as more of a suggestion than fact.

Also I'm pretty sure, in universe, it's written by children, which would explain why it flat out lies, like when it says Dracovish can only breathe in water

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Yeah at this point I see the Pokedex as more of a suggestion than fact.

Also I'm pretty sure, in universe, it's written by children, which would explain why it flat out lies, like when it says Dracovish can only breathe in water
Not surprising about how the PokéDex is written by children, or by RotomDex in the case of Alola. Especially when such flat out lies rarely, if ever come out in play in gameplay or even main story. Otherwise Tyranitar will have much bigger Defense and Special Defense at expense of Special Attack and Speed, Charizard will have a signature move that is Super Effective against Rock, and non-legendary human-hating Pokémon having 0 Friendship value.

Doesn’t make them any less amusing to read, though!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So, something serendipitous happened. Pokemon announced their next line of Original Stitch designs for the Hoenn Pokemon.

"Um, this is the Dex Entry thread, not the Merch thread"

Oh, I know. But seems like with the Hoenn designs they may have looked through Dex entries cause I noticed a few interesting choices.

Here's the Glalie design:

Notice a little out-of-place addition? Indeed, among the Glalie is a Vanillite of all Pokemon. Why? Well...
Ultra Sun Dex: It freezes its prey and chews them whole. However, it prefers to eat Pokémon like Vanillite that are already frozen.
Feebas design:

Okay, not really a dex entry (though you'd think they would), but Feebas and Magikarp share a lot of similarities so think its cute they snuck a Magikarp in there.

Flygon design:

Now this one was mentioned on this thread, we see behind what I guess are green dusts of sand Krookodile.
Flygon's Ultra Sun Dex: By flapping their wings, Flygon cause sandstorms that conceal Krookodile. The team then splits the prey they catch.
Krookodile's Ultra Moon Dex: It conceals itself in sandstorms that Flygon whip up and waits patiently for prey to appear.
Spoink design:

Clamperl there for obvious reasons:
FRLG Dex: It apparently dies if it stops bouncing about. It carries a pearl from Clamperl on its head.
HGSS/Y Dex: It bounces around on its tail to keep its heart pumping. It carries a pearl from Clamperl on its head.
I like how FRLG just outright says it'll die and after that they backpedal hard to just say it needs to bounce to keep pump its heart, lol. Actually no lol, that's quite tragic, ARCEUS WHY DID YOU DESIGN IT LIKE THAT?!

Sableye design:

Why do they keep referencing the darker ones?
Sun Dex: It's a fiend for gemstones, so it stalks Carbink. Unfortunately, Gabite almost always grabs them first.
Ultra Sun Dex: It digs through the ground with its hard claws and crunches down gems with its thick pointy teeth. Carbink is its favorite food.
Makuhita design:

Now this actually comes from Machop's Ultra Sun Dex entry
Once this Pokémon has gained enough confidence and muscle from training with its friends, it challenges Makuhita to a battle.
Seedot design:

DEATH FROM ABOVE!
FRLG Dex: If it remains still, it becomes impossible to distinguish from real nuts. It delights in surprising foraging Pidgey.
And those are the obvious ones. However the Hoenn shirts have included a lot more other Pokemon in the shirts designs than the Kanto & Johto ones did and that alone looks to have created some interesting relations. Like here's Mawile's for example:

Now, Mawile nor Gurdurr's dex entries mention each other, BUT:
Mawile's DP/Gen V/Y Dex: Attached to its head is a huge set of jaws formed by horns. It can chew through iron beams.
It's mentioned Mawile's horn is strong enough to chew through iron beams. While it's more of a fact than a behavior it does, one could say the shirt implies breaking iron beams is something it likes to do which would do. And where do you find iron beams than in construction sites, and which Pokemon is known for carrying iron beams and working on construction sites? Gurdurr, who is shown to be very frustrated that Mawiles are making themselves nuisances.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Bisharp's Pokedex entries are a stream of awesomeness in line with its epic design, but honestly this Pokemon's dex entries just really make this mon pretty darn cool from an in-universe perspective. Some of the best ones though:

Black: It leads a group of Pawniard. It battles to become the boss, but it will be driven from the group if it loses.

Almost all of Bisharp's dex entries talk about how it leads an entire pack of Pawniard and hunts enemies together with them, but it's pretty interesting that Bisharp can very easily lose its position as leader if it loses. I imagine it would especially be the case if it meets another Bisharp who doesn't have a Pawniard pack to lead, where it will challenge a leader Bisharp and try to win: if the current leader loses, the Pawniard will no longer accept it as leader and drive it away, and then the winning Bisharp will be accepted as their new leader. The losing Bisharp is then on its own and has to find another Bisharp it can beat and try to steal another Pawniard pack, and so on. It's a never ending cycle and it seems to imply that Bisharp are constantly competing to lead packs of Pawniard, especially if one is driven from a group because it lost and now has to find a new Pawniard squad to lead.

It's even more interesting when you take into account Pawniard's Shield dex entry:
"A pack of these Pokemon forms to serve a Bisharp boss. Each Pawniard trains diligently, dreaming of one day taking the lead."

Most Pawniard are totally subservient to their Bisharp boss, and would not even think of betraying it, but at the same time each one is preparing for the day they eventually become a Bisharp and become a leader themselves. I would assume one scenario is that one would evolve in the event that they lose their Bisharp leader and are left leaderless, making one Pawniard become a Bisharp and take the lead. But if one were to evolve even when the pack still has a leader, then it would create a rivalry. The newly evolved Bisharp would have to battle the current leader Bisharp, which threatens the current Bisharp leader's position and thereby would lead to either the newly evolved one taking over, or it being driven away and needing to find its own pack of Pawniard to lead.

Speaking of which, the former scenario can possibly happen in one particular circumstance, as per Bisharp's Ultra Sun Dex entry:

Ultra Sun: No matter how strong the Bisharp, it's said that if the blade on its head is chipped, it will retire from its position as the boss.

Yeah. While Bisharp are almost always leaders of a pack, the blade on their head is a distinct pride and honor, and if that breaks, a Bisharp will step down from its position eternally and revoke its own right to ever lead a pack again, becoming a lone hunter for the rest of its life. Definitely adds an interesting layer to its behavior. In such a case, that means the pack of Pawniard is left without a leader, and since each one trained diligently in hopes of becoming a great Bisharp one day, that means one of them will have to evolve and become the pack's new leader.

In general the other dex entries are pretty awesome:

BW2: This pitiless Pokemon commands a group of Pawniard to hound its prey into immobility. It then moves in to finish the prey off.
Ultra Moon: It leads a group of Pawniard. Bisharp doesn’t even change its expression when it deals the finishing blow to an opponent.
Sword: It's accompanied by a large retinue of Pawniard. Bisharp keeps a keen eye on its minions, ensuring none of them even think of double-crossing it.
Shield: Violent conflicts erupt between Bisharp and Fraxure over places where sharpening stones can be found.

You can get a general grasp of Bisharp's cruel and merciless personality in the first three listed here. It has no sense of pity or empathy for its targets and will not hesitate to kill them without any sense of emotion to it. Very befitting of a Dark-type hunter. Its mob boss vibe is also enforced not only by having Pawniard do the bulk of its dirty work but also in that it's very observant of its cronies to ensure its authority is never challenged.

The Shield dex entry is fun because it's yet another Pokemon-Pokemon interaction: Fraxure have the sharpen their tusks but Bisharp and Pawniard have blades to sharpen as well and they are constantly rivaling for spots to sharpen their blades with Fraxure. A pretty interesting relationship. I suppose Haxorus need not sharpen its tusks though, or maybe Bisharp don't even think of crossing blades with that.

Such a great Pokemon but it's truly a fitting Pokemon for the Dark-type as a merciless hunter and mob boss with quite a bit of depth to its in-world behavior.

Marshadow's Pokemon Moon Dex entry:

"It lurks in the shadows of others, copying their movements and powers. This Pokémon is craven and cowering."

Poor little shy Marshmellow. Oh how I loathe how Gamefreak made you a mythical Pokemon because it'll be years before I have one of my own. He may be a contender for my favorite Pokemon but I can't even have one.

"It sinks into the shadows of people and Pokémon, where it can understand their feelings and copy their capabilities."

"It slips into the shadows of others and mimics their powers and movements. As it improves, it becomes stronger than those it’s imitating."

I'm just imagining Marshadow sinking into the shadows of a street performer and he begins to make more money than street performer.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Not sure why, but I really like Red's entry on Rhyhorn:

"Its bones are 1000 times harder than human bones. It can easily send a trailer flying."
Probably just the "overkill" factor. It probably only needed bones multiple times harder than humans in the double digits to effortlessly topple a trailer, an impressive feat on its own. But NO, not only is it one THOUSAND times stronger, quad digits, but the trailer goes FLYING. And this is just Rhyhorn, the basic stage!

See this thing? It's a horror.
BW2 Dex Entry:
Their saliva contains lots of components that can dissolve anything. The numbness caused by their lick does not dissipate
So if this neon blob happens to lick you, you've lost critical nerve functionality. On one hand, i feel like this also means lickilicky has some hidden medicinal potential for people who have soft tissue pain?? On the other, I can't imagine there aren't a mountain of casualties who happened to get too near to one, because:

DP Dex Entry:
It wraps things with its extensible tongue. Getting too close to it will leave you soaked with drool
So this thing is a saliva factory (gross) and if it happens to catch you with some splashback you'll never feel that part of your body again. Scary! Solution seems to be stay a solid distance away from it, yeah? Well, no, because:
US Dex Entry:
A contest is under way to determine which one can stick its tongue out the farthest. The current record is...more than 82 feet.

Sword Dex Entry:
Lickilicky's strange tongue can stretch to many times the length of its body. No one has figured out how Lickilicky's tongue can stretch so far.
The takeaway from all this? You're never safe from Tingles the walking poop emoji. It is here to lick and destroy and it knows nothing of fear or mercy. (Bearing in mind it also gets access to self-destruct, turning itself into a digestive enzyme-flinging claymore.) This is scarier than gengar. Why did they make this. It haunts me.

Probably just the "overkill" factor. It probably only needed bones multiple times harder than humans in the double digits to effortlessly topple a trailer, an impressive feat on its own. But NO, not only is it one THOUSAND times stronger, quad digits, but the trailer goes FLYING. And this is just Rhyhorn, the basic stage!
Yeah, I thought so too. Heeh.

Sylveon:

SwordBy releasing enmity-erasing waves from its ribbonlike feelers, Sylveon stops any conflict.
ShieldThere's a Galarian fairy tale that describes a beautiful Sylveon vanquishing a dreadful dragon Pokémon.

Sylveon leans towards peaceful resolution but if necessary, it will bring the pain train. I like that belief system. Don't start incidents but be prepared to end them by a multitude of means.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Sylveon:

SwordBy releasing enmity-erasing waves from its ribbonlike feelers, Sylveon stops any conflict.
ShieldThere's a Galarian fairy tale that describes a beautiful Sylveon vanquishing a dreadful dragon Pokémon.

Sylveon leans towards peaceful resolution but if necessary, it will bring the pain train. I like that belief system. Don't start incidents but be prepared to end them by a multitude of means.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Torchic (HGSS): Inside its body is a place where it keeps a small flame. Hug it! It will be as warm as a hot-water bottle.

I like how dex entries are usually written in a "professional" kind of way, but this one just excitedly tells you to hug Torchic.
I was just about to make myself look like a fool (YES, I know what you're thinking, save the snark) and question GF's choice of words of "hot-water bottle". It was then when I looked up the name of those bed cushions you put hot water in as a better comparison... to discover they're called "hot-water bottles". :psynervous:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)