Resource Post-ZUPL III Set and Team Dump

1632771658508.png

art by SnorkleDove, approved by 5gen and copied from last ZUPL's thread also written by 5gen

With the regular season over and ZUPL III now in playoffs, here is a thread where players may share the teams and sets they used sometime throughout the tournament. These teams are divided into the SS, SM, ORAS, BW, and DPP tiers that were played in ZUPL. Tour players, feel free to share your thoughts and potential match up fishing when creating the team!

Rules
  • All teams/sets must have seen use in an official ZUPL game. While replays are not needed, an official replay should exist here (or in the tiebreaker, playoffs, and finals threads until the replay thread is updated).
    • While this rule says that all teams/sets must have seen official use, I won't penalize those that post sets or teams they heavily considered bringing. After all, it is a part of preparation and may influence what you brought or built in a specific week.
  • Title your post (or team if your post has multiple teams) with one of the corresponding generational tags: [DPP], [BW], [ORAS], or [SM].
  • Post an importable of the team/set, preferably with pokepaste.
  • Use sprites to have a visual of the team: try using sprites dragged from here.
  • Post a description inside a spoiler as to save space.

And that's it! Thank you in advance for participating in the third ZUPL and sharing your thoughts on the teambuilding aspect of it.

Last edited:
[SS]

:ss/rhydon:

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

nothing new but i didn't see many people use offensive rhydon recently, it's still a pretty good breaker esp to surprise grasses like tangela/eldegoss, pretty good partner for rocks clefairy since it can be pretty awkward to fit a ground type alongside it. used it against Greybaum for last week of regular season. be sure to fit something that can force a koff on tangela early in the game, it recquires minimal chip to actually beat most of the slower walls that want to check it, esp since a jolly nature surprise most of the things that try to outspeed ada rhydon like jelli & eldegoss

+2 252 Atk Rhydon Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangela: 342-404 (102.3 - 120.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Rhydon Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eldegoss: 286-338 (88.2 - 104.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Rhydon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Wishiwashi-School: 130-154 (44.2 - 52.3%) -- 76.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Rhydon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Jellicent: 325-384 (80.4 - 95%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

:ss/leafeon:

Leafeon
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Synthesis

pretty decent replacement for thwackey on teams that want a bit more longevity on their offensive grass type, has a nice role compression by checking physical smallgeist if ran itemless (w/o fire blast of course), as well as forcing koff on tangela/rapidash/altaria/articuno early in the game. it sucks to tie with vallys but still has a nice speed tiers that allows it to be a pretty nice wincondition in late game, esp against qwil teams that tend to have some troubles dealing with it. its been a pretty nice partner for the rhydon set above since it manages to koff grasses as well as pressure offensively water types, helps a lot against standard sun teams too

Jett

gn gobodachis
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
A little late on this; been busy and lazy. Might as well use this thread I suppose to share the teams I used during this tournament because my play and luck weren't the best showcase for some of them.

Week 2 vs beauts
:rotom-frost: :kabutops: :rapidash: :tangela: :stunfisk-galar: :spiritomb:

After one of my teammates got owned by a Kabutops pivot core, I brought my own but this time with broken Rotom-Frost. Only other thing worth noting is that Tangela here is paired with one of its favourite partners in Rapidash Spiritomb, which switches into Knock Off without caring about Fighting-type attacks, which is particularly important for Band Sawk matchups.

Week 3 vs Yovan33321
:rapidash-galar: :silvally-dark: :sawk: :tangela: :piloswine: :altaria:

Yovan likes to bring Toxic on weird Pokemon so I felt like Rapidash-Galar was a safe bet as a setup sweeper to break past his teams. While the game was unfortunate, I think this team is overall very sound as you can often get away with using two of the Gorse, Silv-Dark, and Sawk to effectively break down most teams and clean with the third. Fun team nevertheless and thanks DEG for the initial idea.

Week 4 vs sensei axew
:throh: :musharna: :rhydon: :gourgeist: :cramorant: :rapidash:

Not particularly happy with this team to be frank; besides the fact I got owned pretty hard by Unfezant in the game lmao, I think it's just a bit clunky. Mushy set (which I stole from Kay after being owned by it) was fun although double RestTalk was a bit weird to build around and manoeuvre, although the concept of Throh and Future Sight was definitely experimented more during this tournament and definitely more successful than my attempt.

Week 5 vs avarice
:gourgeist: :qwilfish: :altaria: :sandslash-alola: :manectric: :alcremie:

Actually had no idea what I wanted to bring this week (built so many things I disliked) so I ended up bringing something which I built during the earlier weeks of ZUPL, which had a lot of offensive threats to overwhelm the opponent. Alcremie isn't a Pokemon I think I've ever used outside of this game so I thought the opposing team wouldn't really prep as hard for Fairy-types (I couldn't have been more wrong). SD Qwilfish is also fun (could be better now since it hated most of the Pokemon that rose) and can be really unexpected at times.

Semi-Finals vs Hitmonstars
:Thwackey: :Clefairy: :Thievul: :Rapidash: :Rotom: :Rhydon:

Long story short, I saw Hitmonstars was often weak to very thing that he liked to bring, which was Thievul (but so are most teams). Originally had a Flapple over Thievul but I missed one too many times so changed it to Thwackey (Flapple had a nicer matchup in Gourgeist and opposing Thwackey since they run Adamant normally and you run max max speed). Anyways, Clefairy and Rhydon was just for opposing Dark-types that were almost guaranteed to be brought and the former's Teleport set has been on the rise throughout this tournament since it's just an amazing enabler for wallbreakers like Choice Band Perrserker, Choice Band Sawk, and Choice Specs Thievul on this team; also great for balance in general with something like Cofa. Good team although the Rotom set I was using is awful because I was just tryna compress 20 roles onto it LOL.

I promise to stop using mediocre Rapidash all the time... Thanks for reading!!

Last edited:
Kind of disappointed that this thread isn't seeing more activity, would have loved to see some ORAS teams posted (Toto, 5gen, S1nn0hC0nfirm3d, zS and whoever was building for Hakas)

I didn't get to join our team discord until mid week 2 and seeing as Watashi and Zs rfn I wasn't able to help building for the first 2 weeks, Week 1 vs 5gen we just used the Kush special and week 2 Watashi built his own team with some heat sets...

Week 1 vs 5gen
:hippopotas: :scraggy: :dustox: :lairon: :jumpluff: :politoed:
Week 2 vs Zs
:trubbish: :regigigas: :hippopotas: :jumpluff: :frogadier: :klang:

Now onto my teams.

Week 3 vs Alkione
:gogoat: :bronzor: :frogadier: :dustox: :krokorok: :purugly:

For the first team I built I wanted something sturdy with a lot of momentum and solid breaking power. Banded krok is in my opinion the tiers best breaker due to the progress it makes vs fat teams in tandem with a super nifty pursuit vs some specific mons. Added frog as a nice partner inviting special walls like Dustox to then trap them with pursuit. Didn't wanna go too defensive so compressed defensive core of Bronzor + Dustox, Gogoat as a wincon + ground resist kind of let me get away with heatproof Bronzor making it a decent check to Pignite as well. Finished of with Purugly for some decent anti cheese/speed control. Was really happy with this team and it did incredible in tests finishing with something like 21-1 vs multiple people.

Alkione brought the kush team we brought week 1 and our matchup was pretty good, some nice dancing with gogoat early on put it in a winning position only to have it get crit but Watashi played the rest flawlessly to come out on top.

Week 4 vs Ho3n
:swalot: :vibrava: :scraggy: :lairon: :jumpluff: :frogadier:

I was kinda struggling with the builds this week and had my mind on a lot of other stuff. Built a bunch of teams but for some reason decided on this one. Was well aware that the damage was low but I liked the matchup of DD scraggy + 4 attacks Swalot into Hoens builds. Looking back at it though it was mainly 6 mons thrown together without much synergy, not my best build for sure.

Definetly didn't get the matchup we were hoping for with Hoen bringing a defensive core quite different from his previous builds and our mons had no way of making progress. Realized this week that I had started to slack a bit too much on my Ebuzz counterplay.

Week 5 vs Toto
:archen: :bastiodon: :tyrunt: :meganium: :lairon: :tropius:

I had posted this team in our discord earlier. It's a complete meme team that I used to play with for fun during classics at times. Durza told me to bring it so I did.

Didn't really go into the game thinking I had a shot tbf and got really lucky throughout the game itself. Seeing as Toto brought my own team against me I was expecting Bronzor to be heatproof (but wasn't certain since I hadn't shared my paste with him). My game plan was to play it as if it was levitate Bronz and try and get it into a 2hko range of Head smash from CB Lairon but I was just short and got it into a roll range instead (not in my favour) and didn't get the roll. Had to just hope he was heatproof at that point and thankfully he was so was able to sweep with last mon Tropius.

Finals vs 5gen
:hippopotas: :dustox: :gigalith: :purugly: :jumpluff: :vanilluxe:

Built multiple versions of this team and gigalith was originally a double dancing Carbink which I really wanted to bring, Durza had me know that I was once again going into a game with no damage so changed some stuff around and ended with this CB sand force Gigalith team instead. Gigalith over something like a Lairon cause of the fire resist and the perk of being able to 2hko Hippo on the switch. Vanilla was either gonna be scarf or autotomize but really liked autotomize vs 5gen as a strong anti offence messure. Jumpluff set isn't the best but needed to compress a few too many roles so had to go with this, really missing the U-turn though.

Going into the game I see how strong vanilla is with 5gen having no freeze dry resists. gameplan was to get rid of Meowstic and try and weaken Scraggy to have Vanilla set up an autotomize and win. Had to be careful of Swoobat due to no mon faster than it but I knew that Gigalith under sand could take it on. Got kinda shook by Dragonair being DD 3 attacks instead of the more standard bulky rest talk set but in the end I was able to get set up with vanilla to plow through his team.

Just gotta thank all the guys on the Flamencos for making my first team tour such a nice experience. Especially Durza for picking me up, when I finally got internet during the second week I was so surprised that you out of all people had drafted me seeing as we hadn't interacted at all prior to ZUPL but oh man how happy I am that you did. Best manager I could ever have asked for.

Have some more teams that I might dump but I'll do that at a later time, cheers.

Last edited:

Danny

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
ZU Circuit Champion
So this might be a bit late but I’m going to dump my teams that I built during zupl nonetheless. A few of these are still legal and very much viable so enjoy!

W2 vs pdt (W)
:Rotom-frost: :persian-alola: :stunfisk-galar: :cofagrigus: :altaria: :rapidash:
So after coming off an embarrassing loss w1(due solely to my lack of prep), I really wanted to win vs my friend pdt. I looked at the scout I made for him, and was lucky enough that he shared his whole zu builder from UMPL in a jerk that we are in together. Based on that and the fact that I was confident he would balance vs me, I built this team around Rotom frost. Really wanted something with a good random silvally match up, as he brought a lot of those in the past. Settled on a core of persian a/fisk/cofa sin order to deal with those and any attempt at volt turn he may try. Altaria was later added to the team because my tang switch ins weren’t the best and Alt was able to handle that and removal really well. He used fat set up mons a lot in the past, so I teched Roar last on it in order to deal with those temporarily. Dash was added as a sort of fail safe against the ice types in the tier. Really simple build but was extremely effective in this game and seasonal vs Tuthur.

W3 vs Feliburn (W)
:sandslash-alola: :wishiwashi: :piloswine: :altaria: :ninetales: :gourgeist:
This week I wanted to use an offensive ice type again, as it lined up well into his scout. Most of his ice type counterplay was centered around the broken frostom, so I wanted to use aloslash as a means to break. Originally I had SD aloslash, but Rav3ndan reccomended throwing a band on it and not worrying too much about wasting a turn setting up. This worked wonders in our game as slash was able to break down jelly for itself and leave the field free for it to click buttons. I was also still very paranoid about my ice type mu, so I built a core that could deal with any and all of them. Wishi was the SpD check to a lot of those and also served to deal with offensive fires threatening to rkill my slash. Pilo was there for SR and to deal with frostom. Ninetales served as a potential wincon once an opposing altaria got tricked a scarf from gourg, and it also helped my ice mu by giving me an offensive check to them. Gourg was mainly there for utility and speed control. It also gave me a much needed ground resist because the rhydon mu was bad at this point.

After this game, I let kay support me and focused my building efforts with the other ss slots.

W5 roxiee vs TFL (L)
:alcremie: :rhydon: :gourgeist: :wishiwashi: :perrserker: :Rotom-fan:
So this week I was tasked with building for both roxiee and Procras, and I think the teams i provided were solid, although they both lost due to questionable last minute changes by roxiee and bad sleep rolls for procras(still love y’all tho <3). In this game I saw that alcremie lined up really well vs TFL, and wanted to use gourg to wear down his frail dark types he’s brought so that alc could win. The team functioned really well in tests and ssnl, but last minute for some reason roxiee changed the alcremie to a sableye and lost because of that change. I wanted band perrs on the team solely bc it helped west down Persian alo for gourg to kill.

W5 Procrastinasian vs czim (L)
:alcremie: :ferroseed: :malamar: :stunfisk: :rotom: :throh:
So this team was originally for avarice, but we gave it to Procras because he really liked the fatter teams and seemed to pilot it well in tests. The idea was really simple, wear down mons with hazards and eventually win with either scarf Rotom or Malamar. Unfortunately the game came down to sleep rolls and a missed opportunity, but Procras piloted it well in my opinion besides the end. Aromatherapy Alcremie was a cool idea we wanted to use because it helped with the overwhelming amount of Thievul usage at the time. Ferro is PU now so this team isn’t usable anymore but otherwise a really fun team.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)