Unpopular opinions

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
DNA is most likely cuz it was meant to be Deoxy's signature
...but then it wasn't. Especially when Ray used it in the movie
Regardless, I tweaked the anim script....
Was the RBY / GSC Hyper Beam sound effect edited in the video or did you managed to get it intergrated in the game?

This is certainly a lot more brutal than official RSE / FRLG Hyper Beam animation.

I noticed that beams in general look a lot different in Gen III then they did in Gen I and II. Most of them in those games used the same "Beam" sprite with some added effects and/or flashing/shaking, I'm guessing trying to do something similar(having the beam just be one big sprite) on the 32-bit GBA(as opposed to the simplistic 8-bit GB/GBC) would look a lot more tacky in practice. In other to give the illusion of movement, most beams in Gen III are a bunch of sprites flying in one direction instead of one solid mass. The DS was capable of Particle effects, so in Gen IV many of the beams reverted back to looking like a single solid mass.

Last edited:

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
it's a bit loud, but yeah. It's in game
I could lower volume if you want
I’d suggest that yeah, pretty loud and can hurts the ears of the headphone users.

I noticed that beams in general look a lot different in Gen III then they did in Gen I and II. Most of them in those games used the same "Beam" sprite with some added effects and/or flashing/shaking, I'm guessing trying to do something similar(having the beam just be one big sprite) on the 32-bit GBA(as opposed to the simplistic 8-bit GB/GBC) would look a lot more tacky in practice. In other to give the illusion of movement, most beams in Gen II are a bunch of sprites flying in one direction instead of one solid mass. The DS was capable of Particle effects, so in Gen IV many of the beams reverted back to looking like a single solid mass.
That explains it, but it doesn’t make the official Gen 3 animation of Hyper Beam any weaker-looking than previous and later interations.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Again, this is probably a typo. But considering the bizarre decisions GF continues to make, I'm beginning to wonder if these motherfuckers are actually just sadists. It would explain a lot.
Like a dozen people have made the same mistake by now, honestly it's no longer surprising and only in a few instances is it funny to point out.

Though I guess we could make this instance funny. So in the Volkner-Flint dynamic who do you think is the dom & who is the sub? Or do they take turns, is that even allowed?

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
shiny fraxure is cooler than shiny haxorus
Don't get me started on the number of mons who have better shiny colorations than their evolved forms, we'll be here all day. Shiny Gabite looks better by far than shiny Garchomp. Shiny Pupitar looks incredible, shiny Tyranitar does not. Shiny Dragonair looks beautiful, shiny Dragonite looks bizarre. Shiny Ponyta is fantastic, shiny Rapidash is less so. Shiny Yanma is bright and gorgeous, shiny Yanmega is dark and drab...

Don't get me started on the number of mons who have better shiny colorations than their evolved forms, we'll be here all day. Shiny Gabite looks better by far than shiny Garchomp. Shiny Pupitar looks incredible, shiny Tyranitar does not. Shiny Dragonair looks beautiful, shiny Dragonite looks bizarre. Shiny Ponyta is fantastic, shiny Rapidash is less so. Shiny Yanma is bright and gorgeous, shiny Yanmega is dark and drab...
Even though Dragonite is my favorite Pokemon I have to agree the shiny is very...ehhh. It kinda looks cool in some aspect, like how old medieval Dragons are drawn, but I really wish it stayed pink.

I actually think shiny Yanmega looks really cool though

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I don't get it.
Yeah that was a little too vague, allow me to elaborate.

-Regional forms of old mons that tie into the region's lore and history on a deeper level
-Important NPCs with more thematic connections with their aces (Mai having Munchlax contrasting with Marley's speed focus while her Warden has Trick Room to achieve the same effect in the end)
-Some form of Totem Pokemon with their own unique battle mechanics
-R o w l e t

From what's been presented, Legends Arceus seems to be following up or even expanding on a lot of the design principles that made SM so great. And while some may complain about the ancestor overuse, I'd argue that in a roundabout way it makes this game a more compelling "AU retelling" with more interesting mixups of pre-existing characters than USUM ever even attempted (Seeing a Cyrus ancestor as a stern but kind secretary is exactly the kind of stuff USUM should've done with the OG's cast if it was a remotely competent or well-directed followup). In the end, in its current state, I struggle to see a scenario where PLA doesn't make Sinnoh a more layered, compelling region compared to USUM that mainly seemed more interested in dragging its source down, deliberate or not.

Personally I don't think it's weird for a trainer to own a mythical Pokemon. It'd be weird if youngster Joey busted out a Volcanion of course but I think it'd be cool if we got a Champion with a mythical or Legendary as their ace

I know for a fact I'd spend my life hunting for a Mew if Pokemon were real

On a related note did you know there's a Nurse Joy in the anime that owns a fucking Latias?
She woke up and said "I'm tired of healing, I want to KILL."

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Personally I don't think it's weird for a trainer to own a mythical Pokemon. It'd be weird if youngster Joey busted out a Volcanion of course but I think it'd be cool if we got a Champion with a mythical or Legendary as their ace

I know for a fact I'd spend my life hunting for a Mew if Pokemon were real
Obviously it all depends on what Legendary we're talking about (and of course they'll have to be different from the ones Ash have met since a few of those were telepathic hinting they were a bit more special).

• Believable: Kanto Bird, Johto Beasts, Hoenn Regi (+ Galar Regi), Eon Duo, Deoxys, Cresselia, Heatran, Regigigas, Phione, Darkrai, Shaymin, Swords of Justice (+ Keldeo), Meloetta, Forces of Nature, Magearna, Marshadow, Zeraora, Meltan family, Kubfu family, Zarude

• Reaching/Needs Good Excuse: Mewtwo, Mew, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Celebi, Jirachi, Lake Guardians, Manaphy, Victini, Genesect, Diancie, Hoopa, Volcanion, Type: Null family, Guardian Deities, Cosmog family, Necrozma, Ultra Beasts, Galarian Kanto Birds

• Unbelievable: Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Arceus, Zekrom, Reshiram, Kyurem, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Zacian, Zamazenta, Eternatus, Calyrex & Steeds

To explain some of my thoughts:

Deoxys: There are multiple Deoxys and it just seems like luck if one lands on Earth. Whose to say one didn't somewhere and was caught? Heck, could be used as a good "alien conspiracy" gag. No, the government/space program isn't covering up an alien encounter, it was just a Deoxys.
Regigigas: This is borderline, BUT if someone got the other Regis I wouldn't raise an eyebrow against them having searched for a Regigigas.
Shaymin: There's plenty of them around. Sure, you gotta let them migrate, but there's nothing saying they can't come back.
Swords of Justice: Now, these can't be the same Swords of Justice that Ash & co. met which were telepathic, those seem to be a special group semi-serving a Kyurem. But I don't see why there can't be others who aren't serving a higher Legendary but more on their own so are a bit more "wild".

Mewtwo, Type: Null family, & Genesect: Like, you need a secret lab and ethically questionable scientists (or it being a government secret project), BUT I could see more being made.
Ho-Oh & Lugia: Now, we've seen there's more than one Lugia and upon seeing the other Lugia it never quite felt "out-of-reach", so why would it's counterpart Ho-Oh be? Still need a good excuse, and it would more likely just be a "befriended" situation rather than a "captured", but I'm open to the idea.
Celebi: Like, it's a seemingly immortal time traveler, what does it care if it spends a few decades with a human? Would be a fun experience, will just need to contact a past/future self to check on the forest its protecting.
Jirachi: Honestly the big problem with it is that it goes into a cocoon to sleep for a thousand years (oh, and it has the reality breaking power to grant wishes). BUT if say the Poke Ball can delay the metamorphosis and without the sleep doesn't have enough power to warp reality, eh sure.
Lake Guardians: Now there would seem to be only one of each just like the other Spacetime Dragons, BUT part of me thinks there could be others due to their roles. One, they're meant to spread the capability of feeling emotions, understanding knowledge, and having willpower; for them to do that for a whole planet seems like a bit much for just three all in Sinnoh; maybe Arceus planted several around the globe at key points. Also, they're meant to bind the Spacetime Dragons if they get uppity, may want to have a few spares around if something were to happen to the most convenient trio.
Manaphy: Sort of in the same boat as Shaymin but there seems to be less Manaphy around, probably due to many not fully forming from being a Phione.
Guardian Deities: Another group you'd think there would only be one of (at least per dimension), BUT we don't really get much lore on them besides being worshipped as the guardians of Alola. So I'm willing to leave it open there could be other members hopping about other islands and fitting locations and the ones in Alola are just either extra special or the "main ones" at the moment.
Necrozma: I feel there could be more, it is an (semi?) Ultra Beast so we may just not know its home dimension.
Ultra Beast: You just need an Ultra Wormhole to open up and drop one in... very very very (many "very"s later) VERY unlikely... but you can't really say not impossible.
Galarian Kanto Birds: Now, they're probably super rare if not one of a kind... but that doesn't mean they're any harder to capture than the normal Kanto Birds. Heck, who knows, maybe they'll have Goh catch all of them.

And the remaining unbelievable Pokemon are because they're essentially deities being super powerful and/or one-of-a-kind (or close enough to it).

On a related note did you know there's a Nurse Joy in the anime that owns a fucking Latias?
Yeah, that was a fun little surprise. Guess since Tobias used a Latios they wanted to give some screentime to Latias.

Regigigas: This is borderline, BUT if someone got the other Regis I wouldn't raise an eyebrow against them having searched for a Regigigas.
Ther's a bit of weirdness in Platinum that results in a player getting multiple regigigantes in one save file without trading, though it does require an event. By using the event gigas to get access to the the other three titans, you could then use those to encounter the gigas in snowpoint temple.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Ther's a bit of weirdness in Platinum that results in a player getting multiple regigigantes in one save file without trading, though it does require an event. By using the event gigas to get access to the the other three titans, you could then use those to encounter the gigas in snowpoint temple.
I think we're talking about the anime (and maybe also the manga), in the games it's all fair game.

Ultra Beast: You just need an Ultra Wormhole to open up and drop one in... very very very (many "very"s later) VERY unlikely... but you can't really say not impossible.
If someone in the Pokémon world secretly had access to the ability to travel through Ultra Space and were selling Ultra Beasts to the highest bidder... I think I smell bonus boss material...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)