SS UU UU Enteisaur Under The Sun

Hello Smogon,

I've been laddering with this UU sun team and could use some advice in polishing it. The team centers around Entei and Venusaur, two mons that are really hard to switch into under the sun, and once the main threats to them are removed, can really muscle their way through most mons in the tier. I found that having pokemon that would cover their weaknesses and remove their threats is how I win most games with this team.

https://pokepast.es/633972f71a9ced6a

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
Standard Entei set, not much to elaborate on. Powerful and versatile, with priority coming in as a lifesaver in many situations. Sacred fire under the sun can be very hard to switch into even for resistance mons, and the fear of burn makes Entei very potent and IMO worth building a team around.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Growth
- Earth Power
Venusaur can be really hard to stop once it gets going with even 1 growth under the sun. I've gone back and forth on solar beam vs giga drain, and found that the recovery from giga drain is too good to pass up, and having 1 growth under its belt ensures OHKO potential against most mons weak to grass, although growth + solar beam OHKOs many mons which it is normally effective against. I'm also torn between earth power and weather Ball, sticking with earth power for now to give me something against electric.

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Body Press
- Rapid Spin
The essential sun setter, Torkoal is a decent mon with some big weaknesses. He gets roughed up pretty bad by special attacks and his typing doesn't lend well to his longevity, AND his speed is garbage, but lava plume is actually decently hard hitting under the sun and the threat of burn makes it scary to switch into, and when he isn't being hit with supereffective moves he can be fairly resilient against physical attacks. I've gone back and forth between heat rock and heavy duty boots, the former feeling really good on Venusaur especially, and the former increasing Torkoal's longevity which can be very lacking when stealth rocks are up. I'm considering keeping heat rock and running defog on Moltres as an additional hazard removal.

Heliolisk @ Choice Specs
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hyper Voice
- Volt Switch
- Dark Pulse
A mighty wallbreaker with excellent coverage and pivot potential. Fast and deadly under the sun, Heliolisk's Hyper Voice helps me deal with sub keldeo, salamence, and kommo-o which all otherwise can be big threats to this team. Dark pulse is my only dark coverage, so I use it as opposed to grass knot, and I chose choice specs over life orb to ensure that Heliolisk can do its job; punching a hole in the enemy team that Entei and Venusaur can take advantage of.

Moltres @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 88 HP / 168 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost
Moltres is a mon I am sometimes unsure of, but when it comes in handy it feels essential. Flying time helps me avoid earthquake which this team is otherwise supremely weak to, U-turn gives me pivot and roost recovery, and with a decent SpA and great Spe, Moltres is decently offensive. Flame body is very nice as I have no will-o-wisp on this team and it helps me deal with physical beasts like Salamence and Kommo-o. However Moltres does nothing to alleviate my rock and water weakness, and that falls on the last mon.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Flamethrower
I chose Celesteela purely to cover weaknesses, and it does OK in this regard with its great defensive typing and good stall potential. Its a go to pick when I need a switch that I cant trust any other mon to handle, but I can't help but feel as though I'm working against myself with a steel type on a sun team, as offensive fire mons are common. This is the slot I think I could use the most advice with.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to seeing any suggestions.

Last edited:

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Yo jaxkang Sun can be a fun playstyle and Entei is hard to deal with under it. I think your team can be improved to better take advantage of the two abusers you built around though for the current state of the meta.

Major Changes
:heliolisk: -> :primarina:
Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Weather Ball
Heliolisk is not viable in this tier and does not contribute much even with its decent speed tier. Primarina is a great breaker and has good defensive typing. It has a solid amount of bulk to work with even when running the offensive Choice Specs set. While Sun weakens the Water STAB, the coverage between Moonblast, Psychic, and Weather Ball make up for it. Having Primarina should significantly help against the tier's Dragon-types that Entei and Venusaur can struggle to break past.

:celesteela::moltres: -> :excadrill::mandibuzz:
Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Mandibuzz (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 152 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
Excadrill is amazing right now as it is both the best hazard setter and removal. It also serves as an Electric-type immunity. Celesteela does not provide too much outside of being a fat Steel-type, which while useful does not contribute as much. Moltres is an awkward mon to use on sun teams. It does not have the power of Charizard, and it cannot rely on its secondary STAB; Hurricane is only 50% accurate under Sun. Mandibuzz is able to serve as a more reliable pivot than Moltres with its bulk. The Excadrill and Mandibuzz together actually have decent longevity.

Minor Changes
:torkoal: :venusaur:
Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Lava Plume
- Body Press
- Rapid Spin
- Rest

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Weather Ball
- Sludge Bomb
With Excadrill present, Torkoal is able to drop Stealth Rock for Rest to be able to potentially get Sun up against later regardless of hazards set. Weather Ball Venusaur is a huge reason to use it in the first place. Not getting walled by Celesteela or Skarmory is great, and Entei can overwhelm Pokemon like Kommo-o anyway.

Excadrill and Mandibuzz should make it significantly easier to get into a good position to break with Entei. Primarina is also a monster with is coverage and punches holes for Venusaur as well. Hope you consider these changes and welcome to Smogon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)