Tournament Random Battles Team Tournament 5 - Commencement Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
TRASHTALK GUIDE
by self-proclaimed ultimate trashtalker longhiep341

INTRODUCTION
Trashtalk is controversial, it always is. Is it actually a necessary component in tours to spice up the competition, or does it represent toxicity and unsportsmanlike behaviors? No matter what your stance is on this, let's try to imagine a tour where the only thing people say is "My opponent is good, I got lucky, I managed to win a close game thanks to their misplay, I can't say who will win but I'll try my best..." How boring, how bland. As it stands, while trashtalk isn't a must, the entertainment value brought can far exceed the potential harms, especially in a fun driven tour like RBTT.

However, like Oak said: "There's time and place for everything". Too much of something isn't good, and executing a bad attempt of trashtalk will severely damage your image as well as relationships. You don't want to cause a ruckus now, don't you? Because of that, I will present to you how to do it properly. Once you master this, you can now go wild and insult your opponent without any worry! Remember: Place, Execution and Time, or PET for short (Just look at your cat or dog to get the basis of trashtalking)

TIMING
This is most likely something a lot struggles with. To get the gist of this, you have to remember: Trashtalk is to generate hype, not being blatantly rude. As such, trashtalk should mostly only be utilized before your match begins. There are some exceptions, however in those cases you trashtalk after you lose on behalf of your team. Example: You lose but your team win 9-3, you post an image with "I am weak", then in the next line you put "but we are strong". After the game, trashtalking an opponent just means kicking them while they are down. Instead, whether your opponent played poorly, you won because of hax or matchup, staying respectful and cheering for your team after the win is preferred. Obviously, when you speak words, prepare to be memed on should you fail to deliver, and that's normal. Actions lead to consequences, and if you are scared your trashtalk backfires, refrain from doing it in the first place.

PLACE
This part is fairly simple. Simply put, it only counts as trashtalk if it's done in public. This means public chatroom, like Randbats for RBTT, on a public Smogon thread or in the general channel where everyone can look at what you say. No, saying it in team chat doesn't count. That action displays unwillingness to take account for what is said and expectation that teammates will let it slide cause they don't want to cause a show. Doing it in private equals talking behind your opponent's back.

EXECUTION
There's a limit to what should be said. Too high and it's offensive, inappropriate or racist, too low and it doesn't look like trashtalk at all. Knowing the limit of what is safe to say and what isn't actually takes some time to get used to. Make sure not to target their relatives, their race or their appearance that they can't control. Instead, making fun of their misplay in the past (Like EQing a Gengar), or something funny they said intentionally or by mistake, or their in game name is a much better, and safer way to spark the flame. The race part can still be talked about, but be careful and ask others if it's safe to say it beforehand (Example: Saying Pujo will utilize the French military tactics and surrender, or Sylv saying against a Brazillian player "We all know how Germany vs Brazil will end" is fine). It also depends on who you trashtalk as well, as some are more sensitive to jokes/ trashtalks than others, so that's something you want to be careful about. It's also about reputation to some extent as well, so a fresh face in the scene should slowly raise the level instead of just going for the big trashtalk right away. Trashtalking by elevating yourself instead of lowering others is also good if you struggle to find good ideas.

EXAMPLE
What you should do
What you shouldn't do
Saying "I will trash [Player] in 20 mins to grab dinner" in chat before the gameSaying you trashed your opponent in the win post.
Saying [Player] will be left with man because you will shut his mouth so he can't crunchSaying [Player] will be left behind by you just like their parents
Using a meme version of your opponent's name to battleUsing a derogatory version of your opponent's name to battle
Telling your opponent to level up their gameplay because they will never beat you in this stateTelling your opponent to leave RBTT because of their toxic history and imcompetence
Saying [Player] will slack off and bomb out of group just like their team at World CupUsing [Player]'s country dark past to trashtalk them
"[Your next opponent] is just an inferior version of me"
"Everyone in [The format you play} isn't bad, I'm just better, and they will fear me"
"Everyone sucks in [the format you play], I will trash everyone'

Final word, the most important thing when you trashtalk is that DON'T BELIEVE WHAT YOU SAY. That mentality is dangerous and will lead to you not expecting your opponent to make a play you might expect you think another one will make and thus lower your own gameplay.

Last edited:

Perish Song

flaunt
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
TRASHTALK GUIDE

INTRODUCTION
Trashtalk is controversial, it always is. Is it actually a necessary component in tours to spice up the competition, or does it represent toxicity and unsportsmanlike behaviors? No matter what your stance is on this, let's try to imagine a tour where the only thing people say is "My opponent is good, I got lucky, I managed to win a close game thanks to their misplay, I can't say who will win but I'll try my best..." How boring, how bland. As it stands, while trashtalk isn't a must, the entertainment value brought can far exceed the potential harms, especially in a fun driven tour like RBTT.

However, like Oak said: "There's time and place for everything". Too much of something isn't good, and executing a bad attempt of trashtalk will severely damage your image as well as relationships. You don't want to cause a ruckus now, don't you? Because of that, I will present to you how to do it properly. Once you master this, you can now go wild and insult your opponent without any worry! Remember: Place, Execution and Time, or PET for short (Just look at your cat or dog to get the basis of trashtalking)

TIMING
This is most likely something a lot struggles with. To get the gist of this, you have to remember: Trashtalk is to generate hype, not being blatantly rude. As such, trashtalk should mostly only be utilized before your match begins. There are some exceptions, however in those cases you trashtalk after you lose on behalf of your team. Example: You lose but your team win 9-3, you post an image with "I am weak", then in the next line you put "but we are strong". After the game, trashtalking an opponent just means kicking them while they are down. Instead, whether your opponent played poorly, you won because of hax or matchup, staying respectful and cheering for your team after the win is preferred. Obviously, when you speak words, prepare to be memed on should you fail to deliver, and that's normal. Actions lead to consequences, and if you are scared your trashtalk backfires, refrain from doing it in the first place.

PLACE
This part is fairly simple. Simply put, it only counts as trashtalk if it's done in public. This means public chatroom, like Randbats for RBTT, on a public Smogon thread or in the general channel where everyone can look at what you say. No, saying it in team chat doesn't count. That action displays unwillingness to take account for what is said and expectation that teammates will let it slide cause they don't want to cause a show. Doing it in private equals talking behind your opponent's back.

EXECUTION
There's a limit to what should be said. Too high and it's offensive, inappropriate or racist, too low and it doesn't look like trashtalk at all. Knowing the limit of what is safe to say and what isn't actually takes some time to get used to. Make sure not to target their relatives, their race or their appearance that they can't control. Instead, making fun of their misplay in the past (Like EQing a Gengar), or something funny they said intentionally or by mistake, or their in game name is a much better, and safer way to spark the flame. The race part can still be talked about, but be careful and ask others if it's safe to say it beforehand (Example: Saying Pujo will utilize the French military tactics and surrender, or Sylv saying against a Brazillian player "We all know how Germany vs Brazil will end" is fine). It also depends on who you trashtalk as well, as some are more sensitive to jokes/ trashtalks than others, so that's something you want to be careful about. It's also about reputation to some extent as well, so a fresh face in the scene should slowly raise the level instead of just going for the big trashtalk right away. Trashtalking by elevating yourself instead of

EXAMPLE
What you should do
What you shouldn't do
Saying "I will trash [Player] in 20 mins to grab dinner" in chat before the gameSaying you trashed your opponent in the win post.
Saying [Player] will be left with man because you will shut his mouth so he can't crunchSaying [Player] will be left behind by you just like their parents
Using a meme version of your opponent's name to battleUsing a derogatory version of your opponent's name to battle
Telling your opponent to level up their gameplay because they will never beat you in this stateTelling your opponent to leave RBTT because of their toxic history and imcompetence
Saying [Player] will slack off and bomb out of group just like their team at World CupUsing [Player]'s country dark past to trashtalk them
"Everyone in [The format you play} isn't bad, I'm just better, and they will fear me"

Final word, the most important thing when you trashtalk is that DON'T BELIEVE WHAT YOU SAY. That mentality is dangerous and will lead to you not expecting your opponent to make a play you might expect you think another one will make and thus lower your own gameplay.
Nobody asked + ratio

Last edited:
TRASHTALK GUIDE

INTRODUCTION

TIMING

PLACE

EXECUTION
There's a limit to what should be said. Too high and it's offensive, inappropriate or racist, too low and it doesn't look like trashtalk at all. Knowing the limit of what is safe to say and what isn't actually takes some time to get used to. Make sure not to target their relatives, their race or their appearance that they can't control. Instead, making fun of their misplay in the past (Like EQing a Gengar), or something funny they said intentionally or by mistake, or their in game name is a much better, and safer way to spark the flame. The race part can still be talked about, but be careful and ask others if it's safe to say it beforehand (Example: Saying Pujo will utilize the French military tactics and surrender, or Sylv saying against a Brazillian player "We all know how Germany vs Brazil will end" is fine). It also depends on who you trashtalk as well, as some are more sensitive to jokes/ trashtalks than others, so that's something you want to be careful about. It's also about reputation to some extent as well, so a fresh face in the scene should slowly raise the level instead of just going for the big trashtalk right away. Trashtalking by elevating yourself instead of

EXAMPLE
What you should do
What you shouldn't do

Maxresdeeefault.jpg

Wigglytuff

mad @ redacted in redacted
is a Tiering Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
TRASHTALK GUIDE

INTRODUCTION

TIMING

PLACE

EXECUTION

EXAMPLE
What you should do
What you shouldn't do

Okay I will give it a try.

losco is Italian LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ereshkigal

Kur Kigal Irkalla !!!
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
TRASHTALK GUIDE

INTRODUCTION

TIMING

PLACE

EXECUTION
There's a limit to what should be said. Too high and it's offensive, inappropriate or racist, too low and it doesn't look like trashtalk at all. Knowing the limit of what is safe to say and what isn't actually takes some time to get used to. Make sure not to target their relatives, their race or their appearance that they can't control. Instead, making fun of their misplay in the past (Like EQing a Gengar), or something funny they said intentionally or by mistake, or their in game name is a much better, and safer way to spark the flame. The race part can still be talked about, but be careful and ask others if it's safe to say it beforehand (Example: Saying Pujo will utilize the French military tactics and surrender, or Sylv saying against a Brazillian player "We all know how Germany vs Brazil will end" is fine). It also depends on who you trashtalk as well, as some are more sensitive to jokes/ trashtalks than others, so that's something you want to be careful about. It's also about reputation to some extent as well, so a fresh face in the scene should slowly raise the level instead of just going for the big trashtalk right away. Trashtalking by elevating yourself instead of lowering others is also good if you struggle to find good ideas.

EXAMPLE
What you should do
What you shouldn't do

menfou + palu

RBBT 5 Cuteness Ranking
After a long and well thought out debate with myself, I have come up with a list of the cutest Pokemon of this year's RBTT

#8 Deoxys
Even though Deoxys possesses a total of 4 forms none of them can stand up to the other 7 Pokemon in terms of cuteness. At least its strong and versatile.

#7 Rayquaza
On rank 7 we got Rayquaza, probably the strongest Pokemon of this year's RBBT. Its cuter than deoxys since, unlike a certain alien from space, you can actually ride Rayquaza which is funny and cute.

#6 Yveltal
Forgive me Bacon Lovers, but I must rank Yveltal as number 6. It looks very cool but coolness is not cuteness. Also Sylveon 1v1's Yveltal btw, just wanted to say that real quick.

#5 Kyogre
Big fish takes the number 5 spot this year. It's much cuter than groudon and rayquaza but compared to certain other legendaries Kyogre needs some work done in terms of cuteness. It's primal form looks amazing though.

#4 Darkrai
Who doesnt like some cute bad dreams haunting you every night? Darkrai is an all time favorite and on top of that it is pretty cute when it doesn't try to put your whole team asleep pre gen 7. Too bad it needs to use Hypnosis instead of Dark Void now.

#3 Hoopa
And with that we have arrived at the top 3 cutest Pokemon of this year's RBTT. It pains me to not rank Hoopa (The 3-time winners of rbtt after this year) as number 1 but I have to stay realistic here. Don't let Hoopa's cute appearance deceive you since the unbound form will crush your hopes and dreams.

#2 Arcanine
Dogs have always been cute but Arcanine is an exception. It's not only cute, but very cute. There is only 1 other Pokemon on this list that can beat this fire doggo in terms of cuteness, but at least Arcanine can beat this mons with it's type advantage.

#1 Shaymin-Sky
Why is Shaymin Sky so cute? I don't know but it comes really close to Eeveelutions in terms of cuteness and design. The base form of Shaymin is amazing as well, qualifying it to be the number 1 on this list. Congrats to Team Shaymin-Sky for winning this year's Cuteness Ranking!

Shaymin Sky.jpg

Perish Song

flaunt
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
RBBT 5 Cuteness Ranking
After a long and well thought out debate with myself, I have come up with a list of the cutest Pokemon of this year's RBTT

#8 Deoxys
Even though Deoxys possesses a total of 4 forms none of them can stand up to the other 7 Pokemon in terms of cuteness. At least its strong and versatile.

#7 Rayquaza
On rank 7 we got Rayquaza, probably the strongest Pokemon of this year's RBBT. Its cuter than deoxys since, unlike a certain alien from space, you can actually ride Rayquaza which is funny and cute.

#6 Yveltal
Forgive me Bacon Lovers, but I must rank Yveltal as number 6. It looks very cool but coolness is not cuteness. Also Sylveon 1v1's Yveltal btw, just wanted to say that real quick.

#5 Kyogre
Big fish takes the number 5 spot this year. It's much cuter than groudon and rayquaza but compared to certain other legendaries Kyogre needs some work done in terms of cuteness. It's primal form looks amazing though.

#4 Darkrai
Who doesnt like some cute bad dreams haunting you every night? Darkrai is an all time favorite and on top of that it is pretty cute when it doesn't try to put your whole team asleep pre gen 7. Too bad it needs to use Hypnosis instead of Dark Void now.

#3 Hoopa
And with that we have arrived at the top 3 cutest Pokemon of this year's RBTT. It pains me to not rank Hoopa (The 3-time winners of rbtt after this year) as number 1 but I have to stay realistic here. Don't let Hoopa's cute appearance deceive you since the unbound form will crush your hopes and dreams.

#2 Arcanine
Dogs have always been cute but Arcanine is an exception. It's not only cute, but very cute. There is only 1 other Pokemon on this list that can beat this fire doggo in terms of cuteness, but at least Arcanine can beat this mons with it's type advantage.

#1 Shaymin-Sky
Why is Shaymin Sky so cute? I don't know but it comes really close to Eeveelutions in terms of cuteness and design. The base form of Shaymin is amazing as well, qualifying it to be the number 1 on this list. Congrats to Team Shaymin-Sky for winning this year's Cuteness Ranking!

View attachment 400548

1642875851011.png

Even though it pains me that HOOP HOOP does not 12-0 this week I still have my honor. I will apologize for writing that the best Team, Team Hoopa, will 12-0 Team Big Feesh this week. We would never be so rude to humiliate Team Kyogre in this way. In other words, Roginald winning this week only points out our generosity and dignity.

Thank you very much for not letting Kyogre get 12-0'd so Team Hoopas good nature can be seen everywhere.
Also if I loose this week I'll eat my shoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)