Resource BDSP Forum Rules, Council Info, and Announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
Welcome to the BDSP Metagames Forum! This forum houses discussion of the competitive aspects of Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. Please take the time to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and guidelines discussed below.

Link to the Smogon BDSP Discord Server.

Forum Rules
  • Before posting a new thread, please ask for moderator approval first. Mods reserve the right to close any thread that is not approved. Additionally, use the search feature to help you find existing topics. Do not make duplicate threads.
  • Do not post your in-game team here, or ask for help to improve your team. The Rate My Team section is the place to do this, which can be found here.
  • All posts should be based on actual in-game information. Please do not post speculation or your suggestions for fantasy Pokémon.
  • No discussion of ROMs is allowed.
  • In threads discussing metagames, do not assume any particular Pokémon are banned. Additionally, do not suggest that certain Pokémon should be banned, or that they will probably be banned. Finally, do not post predictions on which Pokémon will be banned. Likewise, don't suggest that certain Pokémon should be unbanned.
  • Please refrain from theorymoning moves or abilities that you think a Pokémon should or should not get.
  • Do not create threads just to ask a question. Likewise, don't make posts just to ask simple questions that won't generate discussion- those should go in the Simple Question, Simple Answers thread. Be sure to read the first post before asking or answering questions.
  • Do not make posts asking or inviting discussion about Pokémon you have bred / traded / trained in cartridge. We are here to discuss strategy - we don't care what IVs you got on your Chatot. Please take these types of topics to the WiFi forum.
  • Non-competitive topics should be posted in Orange Islands. Orange Islands is the in-game subforum for discussion related to in-game aspects of Pokémon games including BDSP.
General Posting Guidelines
- Don't double post. There's an edit button for a reason. If you need to delete one of your posts, the delete button is an option after selecting edit.

- Make the effort for your posts to be grammatically correct and coherent. We understand that not everyone speaks English as their first language, and we're willing to give some leeway here, but if English is your first language you really have no excuse to be making incoherent posts. Bad formatting not only makes your posts unpleasant to read, but they also lessen the positive impact of the points you're trying to make.

- Don't put your opinion in hide tags. This isn't really infract-worthy but if you're going to write a paragraph of your thoughts and opinion, make it visible. Hide tags have their place, but hiding your opinions in hide tags is apt to make people not read them at all. There is enough censorship on the internet already, don't censor yourself here.

- Avoid excessive quoting. It's obnoxious, especially when you quote three paragraphs to answer with a one-liner. Please don't do that.

- Don't reply to a quote by putting bold text inside the quote box. This is exceedingly difficult to properly respond to. If you feel the need to break up a quote, you can do so by editing the quote tags. For example:

[ QUOTE=User's Name]
Paragraph 1

Paragraph 2
[ /QUOTE]

(The spaces in the tags shouldn't be there, this is just to show you the format)
Would become:

[ QUOTE=User's Name]
Paragraph 1
[ /QUOTE]

Response

[ QUOTE]
Paragraph 2
[ /QUOTE]

-Do not insult or flame other users. Correcting users when they say something that's clearly wrong is fine. Calling users stupid or other derogatory terms will result in an automatic 2 point infraction, no exceptions for anyone, badged users included.

Current BDSP Forum Staff Members
As a rule of thumb, remember that the application of each and every rule is subject to moderator discretion. If you have questions about the rules, their interpretation, or anything else related to the BDSP Metagames forum, then feel free to contact one of the BDSP Metagames forum moderators above via private message.

A Guide to BDSP Metagames Subforum Topics
These will focus on BDSP OverUsed (OU). The below lists will be populated as more threads / resources are created.

Metagame Discussion

Viability Rankings
  • A topic where the community, lead by a council, attempts to rank every "viable" Pokémon in BDSP OU. An excellent resource for getting a feel for how the various OU Pokémon fit into the metagame.

Metagame Discussion
  • A thread dedicated to discussing all aspects of the current metagame.

Simple Questions, Simple Answers
  • A place to ask simple questions that do not require a thread of their own to answer. This is the only place where so called "one liners" are tolerated.

Tournament Discussion
  • From time to time, we may have a discussion thread for ongoing major tournaments where users can discuss the respective metagames.
  • Current tournament: BDSP OU Summer Seasonal

Resources

Sample Teams
  • A thread where sample teams are collected and posted to help newer users get acclimated to the metagame.

Role Compendium
  • A thread that provides a visual list of what Pokémon does what in the BDSP OU metagame.

Other Places to related to BDSP OU
  • RMT Forum- Forum where users can post their teams to get advice, or to give others advice on their teams. Just read the rules before posting a RMT!
  • Smogon Charity Bowl II - A Live BDSP OU Tournament on November 20th at 12:00pm GMT-5 that raises money for The Trevor Project!

Last edited by a moderator:

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
Smogon's BDSP OU tiering is ran by a council of 3 people. The purpose of this post is to introduce the them to the public and to explain how they'll handle the tiering process for BDSP Overused.

The council (in alphabetical order):
As for the procedure, the council will employ towards handling bans within two protocols: 1) quick bans and 2) suspect tests.

1) Quick bans will be made when a certain aspect (be it a Pokémon, an ability, a move, an item or a combination of the aforementioned) of the metagame becomes so blatantly broken that passing it through a formal suspect test would be a waste of time and effort for everyone. A post will be made to announce any quickbans.

2) Suspect tests will be the standard protocol for handling bans and unbans. Suspect tests will last approximately one month each and will abide by the following procedure:

1. The council identifies a potentially unhealthy aspect of the metagame and posts a discussion thread about it in the BDSP Metagames forum. The purpose for this is to see what the playerbase, at large, thinks;
  2. If there's enough demand for a suspect test, the council announces a suspect test. A suspect ladder is then implemented on Pokémon Showdown and a formal suspect thread is posted in the BDSP Metagames forum, for people to share their experiences on the ladder and to discuss the effects of the suspect in the metagame. For those that are interested in voting, they are required to achieve a certain rating/deviation on the ladder or Tournament Requisites;
  3. After the account identification phase occurs, eligible voters vote on the suspect;
  4. If the suspect achieves a certain majority, it is banned from the metagame (or unbanned, in case of formerly banned subjects).

Last edited by a moderator:

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
Most likely not a surprise but I'm stepping down from BDSP forum mod, council and tier leader. I had a lot of fun with the tier and enjoyed helping it get off the ground, but I don't have the time required for it and it's pretty clear that all of the wonderful BDSP metagames would flourish way more with someone more proactive at the helm.

Eve will be leading solo for now unless she decides to promote someone in the near future. Leaving you all in her very capable hands, I have no doubt she'll do great things. Thanks for the ride all! I'll still be playing from time to time and I hope this amazing community continues to grow & thrive :D

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
I'm stepping down from BDSP Metagames mod and all other associated positions. I'm happy to have watched the community grow and metagame develop, but I have too many other responsibilities that prevent me from being able to commit to this as much as I'd like. I appreciate the opportunity and wish everyone the best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)