Suspect SS AAA Suspect #9: Burning Red (Genesect)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UT

Come one come all, it's happening again
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
WHY:
With a unanimous 4-0 vote, Genesect is now up for a suspect test! Long one of the most controversial Pokémon in AAA, its varied and difficult-to-predict offensive sets have made it a challenge to consistently answer defensively. Even moreso, its acceptable bulk, great defensive typing, and high Speed after set up make revenge killing it no easy task either. If Genesect is able to set up, it’s often off to the races.

The sheer list of viable abilities on Genesect speaks for itself. No Guard, Sheer Force (physical, special, and mixed), Magic Guard, Tough Claws, Tinted Lens, Guts, Primordial Sea, Serene Grace, and Galvanize all have merit, and depending on the set chosen and its specific coverage moves, its checks can vary wildly as well. It also has a Scarf Regen set to act as a fast and bulky pivot. Most offensive sets carry Shift Gear to give it terrifying Speed, and then choose from one of its 47 different coverage moves, including Zap Cannon, Blizzard, Leech Life, Iron Head, Blaze Kick, Flamethrower, Energy Ball, Thunder Bolt, Extreme Speed, Explosion, Steel Beam, and probably a few other moves I forgot to mention as well.

Genesect counterplay generally centers around two elements: identifying the set, and denying it a chance to Shift Gear. While I listed off 14 abilities and 47 moves, it can only run one and four, respectively, meaning that every set has its checks and counters. Heatran can handle most sets, save Tinted Lens and Primordial Sea. Other Fire-types like Cinderace and Volcarona can stomach any one hit and KO back, but need to be at high health to do so. Physical walls like Hippowdon can cover physical sets and special walls like Jirachi can cover special variants, but each fall to the other side. Passive walls struggle to handle it, as it is immune to poison, often does not care about burn, can out-boost the paralysis Speed drop, and can even recover against some like Blissey. A wide range of Pokémon can avoid the 2HKO from anything other than super effective coverage, but identifying what coverage it has, and firing back with enough power to KO, can be difficult.

Genesect, while great, is far from perfect. It struggles against several common Pokémon like Heatran, and since its STAB coverage is poor, is heavily reliant on the right coverage moves to sweep. On offensive sets it generally lacks recovery save Leech Life, making it difficult to set up or break multiple times. It often falls short of OHKOing threats not weak to its coverage, giving the opponent opportunities to hit back if healthy. No individual set is uncounterable with common Pokémon, nor particularly broken on its own, and it has rarely been impressive in the tour scene. However, none of that fully offsets the points listed above, making it a great candidate for a suspect test!

How (Suspect Details):
During a Suspect test, each player must climb the ladder until they've acquired the GXE necessary to participate in the voting. Primarily, everyone that participates needs to make an alt account following these guidelines:

• Every game must be played on the official Pokemon Showdown! site and on a new account (creation date no earlier than today, September 18th) with "GSAAA [Nick]"--for example, I could create one called "GSAAA UT" to ladder with. Having the prefix at the beginning of your alt name is mandatory, AKA not in the middle (e.g. The GSAAA Man) and not at the end (e.g. The GSAAA).
  • To qualify for voting, your alt must play a minimum of 25 games, and you must have a minimum GXE of 78.
  • Genesect will be allowed on the ladder during the suspect.
  • The suspect test will go for two weeks and end on Sunday, October 2nd (11:59 pm GMT -4).
  • When posting proof of meeting reqs, feel free to use this thread as a means to disseminate topical opinions regarding whether or not Genesect should be banned. (Optional)
  • It is mandatory to provide proof of ownership of the alt account as well. (Post a picture of your reqs with your smogon name featured)
With that all of that being said, it's suspect time! As usual, the actual voting will take place in the Blind Voting Forum, so posting anything other than proof of reqs and discussion isn't necessary.

Tagging Kris for implementation

Hey minor issue but when I tried to bring genesect’s ideal set to try it out it said I could only bring 4 moves, anyone know what’s up with that?

More seriously, genesect has always been one of those mons that can beat everything but never actually does. I still hold that it’s best current set is scarf regen because that one will always do something instead of blindly fishing for the perfect matchup. Will be interesting to see how the vote goes.

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
1663537830954.png

used this team, adapted from one of osake's OMPL teams.
idk where i stand but am probably leaning towards ban, this has a busted amount of set variety and obscene damage output on offensive sets like tinted and no guard, the ease with which it can run away with the game after a shift gear is kind of mad. if there's some catch-most check that i'm missing that makes it easier to handle then i'm not aware of it nor did i encounter it.

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
Deleted all my teams last week while cleaning my PC and didn't have time to build a new team, so I used beauts sample (with bb over uturn on mandi, as there was a volca every two games)
:doublade: :garchomp: :tapu koko: :chansey: :slowbro: :mandibuzz:
genetic insect.png

Swiffix is right, that team (aka Genesect) is busted.
gg everyone just realized I forgot to post gg at the end of my games today, im so toxic plz ban

1663627962479.png

I don't like building for Genesect, it gives me a headache. I like bulletproof Heatran, but I would love to just not worry about that evil bug anymore.

But I don't think it will change the nature of most games, just pivoting into insane breakers, hoping your opponent doesn't have 1 of the 2 reliable answers to your specific mon, or that you just crit and win instantly.

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
Based on the op ( +1 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Genesect Blaze Kick vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Heatran in Harsh Sunshine: 348-411 (90.6 - 107%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO ) and QT's wildly off base comment, I'm unsure if they saw my post about how a single set beats the majority of the meta... but glad this is finally being suspected
Just to address this, the set you posted is walled by unaware mandi, flash fire corv, etc. -> even pex and pert, usually cooked by shift gear gene sets, get some licks in
Genesect is dangerous for sure, but the set you posted isn't that scary

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
Just to address this, the set you posted is walled by unaware mandi, flash fire corv, etc. -> even pex and pert, usually cooked by shift gear gene sets, get some licks in
Genesect is dangerous for sure, but the set you posted isn't that scary
FF Corv is bad. Pex and Pert are the main answers that is fair. These are all highly passive mons that limit teambuilding quite a bit

RoyalReloaded

!
is a Top Tiering Contributor
MPL Champion

that was a lot more fun than I thought it would be

mod edit: can you provide a screenshot that shows you logged into this account? Like Atha or Fraise’s post

let me know if thats good ^^

Yep, you’re all set! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)