Bet Your Avatar, Round 12: To Ketchum Or Not To Ketchum, That Is The Question

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
1668296216121.png

1668296249524.png

If you're coming in hot off the Sprigatito thread, why don't you take another chance on gambling away your dignity, this time over a mediocre children's show?
BET YOUR AVATAR REASONING
The most recent Pokemon anime season has just concluded its world tournament arc, and boy was it a blast for one Ash Ketchum. He didn't just climb up to the finals, defeating several Champions along the way. He battled Leon himself in a massive four-parter, and ultimately won. He isn't the Champion of Alola anymore: He's the Champion of the World, and the latest episode has gone to great lengths to make this feel like as much of an epic ultimate culmination of his journey as it possibly can. Visions of all his previous Pokemon cheering Pikachu on for the final clash with Leon's Charizard! A glamorous coronation ceremony where all his past friends celebrate his accomplishment from afar! Multiple visual callbacks to the original series with the first Japanese opening being played during the aforementioned last clash! This all coincides with a listing for the last episodes of this season coming out, with the last one being called "I'm glad to have chosen you!"

None of this is being directed as a season finale, that much is clear. This is being directed as a grand finale to Ash's run as protagonist period. The finality of it all is palpable from top to bottom. There's just one problem: This is the Pokemon anime. This is a series that time and time again has gone to the most infamously absurd, narrative-destroying lengths to keep the show going on - A legendary spammer here, a failed exclusive super form there. Who's to say they won't do the same again so long as executives will it and the merch money is flowing in? How can we trust this is meant as an ending and not just a well-intentioned but ultimately terribly short-sighted capstone for the 25th anniversary of Pokemon as a whole?

Well, what do you think? Are you willing to bet your avatar on it?

BET YOUR AVATAR RULES
  • There are no requirements, anyone is allowed to enter.
  • This is a bet on whether or not Ash will be the main protagonist of the next anime season. If he were to say, enter a mentor or cameo role, this would count as him being retired, albeit more incrementally.
  • To enter, reply to this thread with your choice of either "Ash will remain the protagonist" or "A new protagonist will be introduced" or anything that indicates one of these two options IN BOLD so I can see it. You must also post an embarrassing profile picture alongside your prediction as a wager.
  • If you bet incorrectly, you must change your avatar to the embarrassing picture for 1 month.
  • You may not edit your prediction once you have posted it.
  • Your time ends when details about the next anime series are revealed.
  • Your time starts now.
BET YOUR AVATAR PARTICIPANTS

People who think Ash will stay:

• ant4456​
  • dave​
  • Fusion Flare​
  • Fancy1​
  • shadowpea​
  • Yung Dramps​
  • Ariin tha rain​
  • uhBella​
  • GatoDelFuego​

People who think Ash will go:
  • Cynical Toast​
  • ThatOneSpork​
  • Low-Key​
  • Ur local kangaroo​
  • mathfreak321​
  • Dorron​
  • Bice​

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
i’ll satiate my gambling addiction: he stays. he’s too recognizable to be kicked off the show, and even if he’s not protagonist, its more than likely he’ll be in there somewhere. he’s gotta be. third times the charm.
If he were to say, enter a mentor or cameo role, this would count as him being retired, albeit more incrementally.
Hope ur keeping this in mind

I think that Ash will get the boot for the main character, I mean sure, he DID appear as the main character for 8 generations in a row, but remember, Brock stopped being a main character once the Black & White Series rolled in after 4 generations, plus with gen 9 having a bunch of out of left field nerfs to the Pokémon's movepool, the Pokémon Company (or whoever controls what happens to the anime) pulling a stunt like that wouldn't surprise me that much

I Fucking hate the ableism towards Entrapta, seriously Perfuma, Mermista, and Frosta, grow up.png

I love She-Ra and The Princesses Of Power, but this one moment is terrible, it's the only moment where it felt like a group of characters couldn't let go of stuff that happened in the past

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)