Sports FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

SpaceSpeakers

eeny mine moe
is a Tiering Contributor
So England is already dominating Iran and it’s only half time ‍
They destroyed Iran 6-2 lmaooo
I expected Iran to do better tbh, they played well until the first goal conceded
they made twice as many fouls as England and I thought they could get a draw with England but at least they scored 2 goals against England:woop:

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I played soccer for nine years in grade school (albeit to varying levels of success, but that’s not important) and seeing a thread like this get more attention than I would have expected is honestly getting me little bit nostalgic right about now. I want to be caught up more on how the different countries/teams have been performing as of late. Speaking of late, I do understand I’m a little bit late to this party, but I would still appreciate being able to try and catch up at least a little bit. Like, what countries/teams should we be looking out for on bracket? Stuff like that, mostly.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Netherlands vs Senegal would be fun to watch
I couldn’t tel if this was meant to be a reply to me or if this was just a general comment, but either way it’s fine. More importantly, this sounds like fun. Where do you guys typically watch your football matches at?

(Now that the salty Americans are here, yes, I do actually believe football to be the correct name even though I actually am one myself. An American, I mean, not a football.)

Qatar looked incredibly weak yesterday, I can see them going the entire tournament without scoring once. Toothless even after Ecuador took off their Captain at half time. I genuinely think my old football team would've beaten them handily.

England looked great today, would've been 6-1 without the bullshit penalty at the end which equals the 6-1 English record from last WC. Kane didn't score, which isn't great for his confidence, but it showed the younger guys can step up when needed. Feels bad for Iran, didn't really know what to do once the GK was off (though the game was admittedly one-sided prior to that).

Netherlands VS Senegal now! Poor Mane is out so I'm expecting a decent win for the Netherlands.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
I wonder if any Asian country can win even a single match
I think that it's a matter of time TBH

They destroyed Iran 6-2 lmaooo
I expected Iran to do better tbh, they played well until the first goal conceded
they made twice as many fouls as England and I thought they could get a draw with England but at least they scored 2 goals against England:woop:
To be honest Iran played better than Qatar I can't complain, it's just England is a better team than Ecuador.

I played soccer for nine years in grade school (albeit to varying levels of success, but that’s not important) and seeing a thread like this get more attention than I would have expected is honestly getting me little bit nostalgic right about now. I want to be caught up more on how the different countries/teams have been performing as of late. Speaking of late, I do understand I’m a little bit late to this party, but I would still appreciate being able to try and catch up at least a little bit. Like, what countries/teams should we be looking out for on bracket? Stuff like that, mostly.
Hey! I love soccer / football. I would say the groups to keep aware of is the group with Spain / Germany and the Belgium / Croatia. Those are all going to be good matches between each 4 teams in those groups. I would say the teams to watch would be Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Spain, Portugal, England, Netherlands, Belgium, and France. (Each of their games even if it's vs a country that has low notoriety would be fun to watch!)

The Dutch vs Senegal has been a great game so far!

I couldn’t tel if this was meant to be a reply to me or if this was just a general comment, but either way it’s fine. More importantly, this sounds like fun. Where do you guys typically watch your football matches at?

(Now that the salty Americans are here, yes, I do actually believe football to be the correct name even though I actually am one myself. An American, I mean, not a football.)
I use (ill)egal soccer streams to watch online, if you need a link I will PM it you. But I plan on watching the games at my house or with family / family depending on the matches being play.

Qatar looked incredibly weak yesterday, I can see them going the entire tournament without scoring once. Toothless even after Ecuador took off their Captain at half time. I genuinely think my old football team would've beaten them handily.

England looked great today, would've been 6-1 without the bullshit penalty at the end which equals the 6-1 English record from last WC. Kane didn't score, which isn't great for his confidence, but it showed the younger guys can step up when needed. Feels bad for Iran, didn't really know what to do once the GK was off (though the game was admittedly one-sided prior to that).

Netherlands VS Senegal now! Poor Mane is out so I'm expecting a decent win for the Netherlands.
Agreed with the Qatar statement I can see that too. Also Kane has been looking great actually! The assist I saw was fantastic to Sterling!

Senegal has putting up a fight it might end in a tie at this rate. (Spoke too soon, what a great assist / header)

Last edited:
USA dominated the first half today, not sure if thats just because Wales weren't really playing though. As soon as Moore came on it was a different game entirely, one which Wales dominated until USA decided to come back into the game after the equaliser. That being said, Wales didn't look lethal and, if not for the penalty, I'm not even certain they would've bagged one. They did say in the post match interviews that they were all tired from flights etc, maybe they'll get over it before next game. Neither team looks like they can measure up to England, so it might just come down to goal difference, provided they both beat Iran and don't manage to upset England. I think Wales have to start Moore, completely different team with the pressure he provides.

Didn't watch Senegal vs Netherlands in its entirety but looked quite competitive, real shame Mane isn't there. 2-0 makes it look a lot less close than it was -- 46/54 possession and Senegal even had more shots, both on and off target.

awyp

is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
USA dominated the first half today, not sure if thats just because Wales weren't really playing though. As soon as Moore came on it was a different game entirely, one which Wales dominated until USA decided to come back into the game after the equaliser. That being said, Wales didn't look lethal and, if not for the penalty, I'm not even certain they would've bagged one. They did say in the post match interviews that they were all tired from flights etc, maybe they'll get over it before next game. Neither team looks like they can measure up to England, so it might just come down to goal difference, provided they both beat Iran and don't manage to upset England. I think Wales have to start Moore, completely different team with the pressure he provides.

Didn't watch Senegal vs Netherlands in its entirety but looked quite competitive, real shame Mane isn't there. 2-0 makes it look a lot less close than it was -- 46/54 possession and Senegal even had more shots, both on and off target.
I will say the Senegal vs Netherlands game was much closer than 2-0 so I agree with you. [Shoutout to both #1 and #2 Ballon d'Or finalists who are not in the World Cup]

Yeah honestly both the US and Wales really showed their weaknesses in both halves, the US defense being quite lacky and making rash tackles that resulted in a easy penalty for Bale. Wales offense looked lackluster at times, Bale only had 1 shot and 1 goal so he made it when it counted. I do believe this tie was important because I think at this point both teams will (probably) beat Iran and it'll all be based on goal differences for who goes through to the next round.

Grillo

⭐⭐⭐
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Qatar: pathetic first game, maybe the pressure was too much for them, because they usually play a better than that (not enough to beat Ecuador tho)
Ecuador: great debut, showing they aren't here just for playing the groupstage. A lot of young players making his first WC appeareance but it was Valencia (33yo) who made the diff, experience in WC is so important. Hope to see them in the next round, they will have to beat Senegal or Ned, both teams that are supposedly better than them, but I think they have what it takes to surprise.

Netherlands: two lucky goals gave them the win in a fairly disappointing game from them. Senegal dominated a big part of the game and deserved at least a tie, Netherlands struggled to show the level they had in the qualifying, but at the end they got the win and that's enough given the importance of this game.
Senegal:
showed they can pose a threat even without Mané, but at the same time they weren't able to score without him. Shootouts to Netherlands' goalkeeper, who had a great game. In the other hand, Mendy practically lost the game for Senegal, who deserved at least a tie imo.

Iran/England: didn't watch the game.

USA: they are used to create chances and not scoring enough, bad substitutions and a really poor second half gave Wales the chance to draw the game, which was fair. I think the USA had the game in their hands but the lack of experience on pitch and bad decisions taken by the coach leaves them with a tie that can be really problematic, as their rivals for the second place of the group is Wales.
Wales: really bad first half and really good second half, with Moore Wales started to dominate the game and USA showed all their weaknesses in def. Bale had a bad game, tbh, but he appeared when needed and scored a really important goal for Wales if they want to qualify. I think they have more chances to draw or win against England than USA, we will see.

awyp

RMT Leader
Qatar: pathetic first game, maybe the pressure was too much for them, because they usually play a better than that (not enough to beat Ecuador tho)
Ecuador: great debut, showing they aren't here just for playing the groupstage. A lot of young players making his first WC appeareance but it was Valencia (33yo) who made the diff, experience in WC is so important. Hope to see them in the next round, they will have to beat Senegal or Ned, both teams that are supposedly better than them, but I think they have what it takes to surprise.

Netherlands: two lucky goals gave them the win in a fairly disappointing game from them. Senegal dominated a big part of the game and deserved at least a tie, Netherlands struggled to show the level they had in the qualifying, but at the end they got the win and that's enough given the importance of this game.
Senegal: showed they can pose a threat even without Mané, but at the same time they weren't able to score without him. Shootouts to Netherlands' goalkeeper, who had a great game. In the other hand, Mendy practically lost the game for Senegal, who deserved at least a tie imo.

Iran/England: didn't watch the game.

USA: they are used to create chances and not scoring enough, bad substitutions and a really poor second half gave Wales the chance to draw the game, which was fair. I think the USA had the game in their hands but the lack of experience on pitch and bad decisions taken by the coach leaves them with a tie that can be really problematic, as their rivals for the second place of the group is Wales.
Wales: really bad first half and really good second half, with Moore Wales started to dominate the game and USA showed all their weaknesses in def. Bale had a bad game, tbh, but he appeared when needed and scored a really important goal for Wales if they want to qualify. I think they have more chances to draw or win against England than USA, we will see.
Agreed with almost everything you said!

Qatar I think played terribly but there's probably still something in the tank to make their home country proud.
Ecuador is showing maybe they can get out of the group stages over Senegal!
Netherlands got lucky this game since I was watching most the 2nd half and it was pretty good from both sides and looking like a tie but the dutch scored when they needed to.
Senegal I still think can get out of the group stages, but the most important game for them in my opinion will be against Ecuador (both teams)

Spoke about the US / Wales above (I think it'll be all about goal differences against England unless they pull a upset)

How good exactly were the Netherlands in qualifying? In my mind they fell off a cliff after 2014 and I feel they haven't had anywhere near the same quality since, failing to qualify for a Euros and WC after that. Their elimination at Euro 2020 was unlucky due to the early red card but they really hadn't left an impression on me in many years prior to that event, and even there it wasn't like they were one of the best teams. VVD also been having an exceedingly mediocre season so, with this result against Senegal taking 90+ mins to get the goals while having less shots and shots on target, I reallllly don't think they're going past QFs. I know they have a couple good names but they never really stood out to me over the last couple years of watching them play.

I need to get up at like 5am to watch Argentina play tomorrow aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Enzonana. Grillo ziloXX ElectricityCat Raichy Ravenna IloveScaldBurns haxlolo Brazilian army
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

awyp

RMT Leader
Not gonna say I called it but here’s proof, shocking game to say the least and Messi had that one offside goal.

How did the 2nd offside goal count by Lau Martinez? Serious question.

1669129483040.jpeg

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)