Hulavuta
have you seen it yet?
Anirav
Anirav
Ye I liked it only because of Harley Quinn
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Alright, here it is:

Okay friends and family here are my extensive Suicide Squad thoughts. This is after one viewing, so sorry if I missed something. This is gonna be long so it's just for people who like to read. Sorry if that's not you don't leave me rude tl;dr comments as a joke please I spent a lot of time on this

basically this movie was pretty enjoyable overall although it did have a lot of structural issues. Overall I would not say it was as good as Batman v. Superman. It is kind of impossible for me to not compare this movie to Assault on Arkham, the animated Suicide Squad movie (which is excellent by the way), so I'll be doing that at various points.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Although interestingly, what I thought was one of the best parts of the movie were the references to Batman v. Superman. In a way it's what I wish the Marvel Cinematic Universe was. They were just references to the events of that movie without being a direct sequel to it. Even though the events of it completely depended on the events of BvS, it was its own story. The Marvel Universe never really felt like this to me, even though that is what it was going for. The most it got to it was Thor having Coulson and having some references to Iron Man; Captain America was too far back in time to really be connected and after The Avengers, the world got a little bit too small and it became a plot hole for the other Avengers to not appear in the other Marvel movies. So the way it ended up was every Marvel movie seemed to sort of be a sequel to the last, and there is a grand narrative to the entire Marvel Universe, rather than independent stories that just contain clever references to each other. But DC has it, for now. We'll see if they don't fall into the same problem as Marvel once they have Justice League, their equivalent of The Avengers.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Seeing Batman pop in during the character's establishing scenes was cool. Like in Assault in Arkham, it was cool to see Batman from the villains' point of view. We normally experience Batman stories through Batman's perspective, but seeing it from the villains' really helps us to understand how Batman is actually seen by everyone else in the universe.

Other things I liked: I liked Viola Davis as Amanda Waller, and I knew I would as soon as she was cast. She stole the show mang. I loved how she was able to intimidate everyone despite having no powers or anything. Great visual symbolism in the beginning when she is talking to the two other government officials. She is viciously cutting and eating a rare steak while the other guys are eating salad. Perfectly establishes her position in relation to them; she is tough and cutthroat, and they are more meager and put upon by her. I thought it was nice and subtle. I loved how she was able to just command people and nobody even thought about crossing her.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
What I think is the biggest problem of this movie is the premise, in all honesty. I think recycling the premise of Assault on Arkham would have been a nice idea. Because as it stands: in the movie called "Suicide Squad" there is actually *zero* reason for the Suicide Squad to ever get together. They even send loyal soldiers in with the Squad to assist them. But what can the squad do that the soldiers can't? Aside from El Diablo and maybe Killer Croc, none of the squad has any superpowers. Waller wanted to put this group together to stop an evil Superman if he should ever appear? What could they possibly do to him? Again, El Diablo and Killer Croc are really the only ones you could make a case for. There was no reason to spring any of the others loose.

In Assault on Arkham, putting together the squad makes sense. Waller needs them to break into Arkham Asylum in order to prevent the Riddler from revealing some secret information that he has on her. This makes sense because it's an internal issue, and Waller is a government official who needs to protect her status. She can't just burst into Arkham because it is a state mental hospital, therefore also part of the government. So she makes a team of criminals do it to blame them and cover herself. That makes sense. In Suicide Squad, there was no reason that they needed to free criminals for this mission, because there is nothing to hide and nobody to pass blame onto. The military could just handle it.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
I don't think the character development was handled that excellently either. Most of the characters got character establishing sequences early on that were just a few images edited together in super AHDH fashion that really didn't explain anything. We never get to see Harley's gradual descent into falling in with the Joker and his gang. It's just a bunch of flashing images.

Katana shows up out of nowhere and then has a flashback quickly explaining her backstory, but it in no way explains why that backstory is important to the story happening now. In that sense, she has no arc at all and she's basically a non-character just there to appeal to the Asian market. She was really cool, don't get me wrong. I'd love to see her developed in another movie, but she really had no reason to be here.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Don't get me started on Slipknot either. He was just there to die. And everyone knew it going in too, because he was not featured in the marketing at all and not talked about in the movie at all until randomly showing up with the group, where he then had zero lines before being talked into escaping and then dying. And that was the extent of that. I know it's a tough situation, because you don't want to advertise or set up a character who is not going to be in the movie for long, but there could have been a better way to handle it. Maybe have Rick Flag demonstrate by blowing up a bomb by itself in a ridiculously over the top explosion which would scare the squad. And one of them could make a clever joke after it. I think it would be best to cut this character out entirely.

Deadshot and El Diablo thankfully get a lot of development, which is nice. Will Smith's ego and wanting to be the lead role was a positive for this movie, since he by far gets the most development and is pretty sympathetic. El Diablo's arc for redemption was nice too, as I like redemption stories. The scene in the bar was really good and I'm glad they made a scene to take time and just talk, because all great action films have that scene. It gave nice development but I think in some ways that character development was too late.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
The villain for this movie was really ridiculous and I did not like it at all. The whole ancient evil from 5000 years ago thing is just way too easy and played out, and the villain had no personality except wanting to be a god and taking over the world. So generic. Kind of like a worse version of Apocalypse from X-Men earlier this year. Apocalypse at least had discernible motivations and good philosophical arguments. Enchantress was just a generic take over the world villain. Her brother looked ridiculous too, especially with his uncanny valley CGI face. At the end fight between El Diablo and the brother, I felt like I was watching Percy Jackson again. I am also just not a fan of introducing magical elements to the DC world just yet. It was something that was never really touched on, which surprised me. The whole world is freaking out about Superman as he's the first alien to arrive on Earth and he's super powerful, but there's an ancient magical witch who also has the power to take over the world and it just comes and goes and nobody really questions it? Just strange to me.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
The stakes in the movie just got super high without any real buildup. It's just about these random criminals and their lives and then all of a sudden, they have to save the entire world. The moment Harley Quinn was in front of Enchantress talking about whether or not to join her, I realized that the scale was waaaay to big for these characters and it put them out of their element. Harley's story is always smaller scaled and focused on her relationships, not a huge saving the world plot. I think the film would have been much better if it was just a smaller scaled heist film, with a similar premise to Assault on Arkham. This kind of plot is something I would expect in the Justice League movie.

I think a lot of the character development issues were due to starting with such a huge cast straight off the bat, without being established beforehand. Because they had to be established, a lot of the characters ended up having character moments that had nothing to do with the plot, such as Katana's dead husband, and Harley for some reason wanting to have a normal life and family with The Joker. Neither of these are ever really mentioned again or have any impact on the main plot of the movie. (On a side note, I'm surprised that normal Joker looks just exactly like a plain-faced Jared Leto, and not messed up at all like the Joker's. Is this really what the Joker looks like without the makeup, tattoos, and scars, or was that just her imagination?)
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Despite all these issues I did enjoy the movie overall (I tend to enjoy most movies I see, as I understand and appreciate all the effort that goes in to making them. It's a miracle that a film ever actually is completed.). Even though the movie itself suffered from a lot of structural issues and from a confused sense of purpose, I think it was a nice addition that set up a LOT of good stuff for the DCU to use going forward. Can't wait for the Joker to show up and be directed by Ben Affleck in his Batman movie!
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
- that's the end

in hindsight I'd probably use some different wording, like instead of "the situation is too big for the characters" I'd probably say it was tonally inconsistent. It's just weird to have these characters in the save-the-world situation. Did not feel genuine at all and was kind of jarring. Especially for their first bout ever. Like I said, I would probably save a plot like this for Justice League.

the tl;dr is that this movie suffered a lot from having to both establish characters and having a plot. So there are a lot of moments that feel really out of place because they help to define a character, but have no consequence in anything. Think if The Avengers was the first Marvel movie, they'd have that issue too. It's not an issue in the comics because all the characters have a long history there, and they can show up in other comics, so they are all well defined, but with the movies there was no way all these villains were getting their own movies. Maybe if the superhero movies came first and then the villains in those were defined and THEN we did Suicide Squad, it could work a bit better. But it wouldn't be for the same reason, since this Suicide Squad was in response to Superman and not just a team to do illegal stuff (which as I said, makes no sense anyway because none of these guys could touch Superman). I think the DCU is going off the deep-end too quickly, the stakes are already so high.