Smogon Forums

Hulavuta
Hulavuta
depends on the thing some tasks build character from the doing
rubysapphiremerald
rubysapphiremerald
omg someone actually replied-

also ig yea... I'm really results oriented (ty parents for having super high expectations that I can never meet yay), which I think caused me some problems, but w/e...
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
yeah I like asking these random introspective questions and am sad when nobody replies so i relate

anyway I think it's a false dichotomy to think of results vs. process as both are important. one validates the other. for example getting a good grade you have to do the "right" way, therefore the process is important. if you did it by cheating for example than the result is meaningless.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
it's not so much about the grade itself but if you learned when you needed to and built up the discipline. but on the other hand if your grades are low that is an indicator that there may be something wrong with your process so it is a good kick in the pants
rubysapphiremerald
rubysapphiremerald
The process is interesting though. Rather than seeing the result as validation for the process, I feel like the process is a dreadful way to get to a result. I think that a lot of this has to do with how I really don't like doing things that don't interest me (especially at school).
rubysapphiremerald
rubysapphiremerald
It's kinda the thought of "why go through the process if you can just get the result" and deciding to learn for the sake of the test and not for the sake of actually learning. Kinda like that ig...
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
if you're still in high school i can understand that, I was kind of the same way. I don't think there's any way around it. Eventually you start to want to learn for its own sake and become self-motivated but without the foundation that was forced upon you I don't think it'd be as effective.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
So it's one of those things that you cant see the benefit of until later. But that's why I think external rewards can be useful like rewards for good grades and stuff

lol the character limit on vms is so dumb
rubysapphiremerald
rubysapphiremerald
yea I'm still in high school and it sucks. Finding self-motivation is impossible when you're doing absolutely zero classes that you actually want to... I'm hoping that college is a lot better for that.

Also agreed, character limit sucks-
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Yeah college is pretty great though for you it may end up being mostly online anyway

For your first two years you basically gotta take the same stuf you too in high school anyway (basic science, social science, humanities, writing, math) but I found them a lot more enjoyable in college than HS

Do you have any idea what you wanna study?
rubysapphiremerald
rubysapphiremerald
probs bio and go into the medical field somehow, but not 100% sure yet...
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
you still got time to decide. i think the difficulty of medical school is what makes most people stop doing it
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
I saw you like history and english as well in a vm under here so you may enjoy those general classes since they tend to be more specialized (for example you could take a class just about Shakespeare or just about the Middle Ages, instead of cramming a bunch of things into one school year).
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
For classes you aren't as into, like math, you can basically take classes that were the same as you did in high school. I did College Algebra for example which is pretty much the same as Algebra 1 + 2 except they can teach it their way instead of the school's standard
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
I taught Introduction to Humanities for a little over a year at my university as part of my master's program and it was really fun. and really rewarding to see kids who were just taking the class bc they had to start to get more interested in art and history
rubysapphiremerald
rubysapphiremerald
I think that the only reason I like History and English is because of how my teachers try to apply them to societal issues and stuff. I'm actually really good at math though, but I just absolutely hate the class-
rubysapphiremerald
rubysapphiremerald
And yea, I definitely have time to decide, which is kinda why I'm not so worried about it rn-
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Well, the whole point of history and art is to apply them to the bigger picture so there's nothing wrong with that. if that's the case you will probably like it even more in college as that's kind of what all those classes are about, they don't really do art for art's sake
rubysapphiremerald
rubysapphiremerald
ah. I kinda suck at art tho lol... I have absolutely zero aptitude for it whatsoever.

One thing I really do miss is music at school tho-