10 years ago on Smogon! (& favorite SpongeBob moments)

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm not the most active user on this site anymore, but I think this special occasion was worth observing! There are very few things that you are part of for 10 years straight, and Smogon happens to be the only online community that I've been involved with for that long.

I first found out about Smogon in April 2012. At the time, I was part of the StarCraft II community, and subscribed to a channel called CyberSportsNetwork. They most often covered StarCraft II tournaments, but one day, I came across a video of theirs that was an interview with a VGC player.

I grew up with Pokemon, but quit around the time of Black and White (the current generation of that year), as I was on the bandwagon that saw that generation as finally jumping the shark completely (Nowadays, I'm on the opposite-but-equal bandwagon that Gen 5 was the last "great" generation of Pokemon). Competitive Pokemon sounded really interesting though, and the player in the video mentioned SkarmBliss and Smogon as the two main websites that people used to discuss the game (from my understanding, SkarmBliss was eventually replaced by Nugget Bridge, though I don't have all the details). So that's how I found out about Smogon the site.

(Those who follow Pokemon Unite might recognize Rachel aka Seltzer as the host of the official Pokemon Unite tournament broadcasts starting last year, so things have kind of come full circle in a way)

In May 2012, I left the StarCraft II community because of what I saw as the toxic and self-destructive nature of the community sabotaging its own efforts of keeping it the biggest eSport, at a time when League of Legends was rising up to push it out of relevance. I dabbled in Yu-Gi-Oh! a bit, since I had always played that when I was younger, but I did find the actual competitive meta to be a bit frustrating. Eventually, I get back into Pokemon in July 2012 with SoulSilver, and while reading about Pokemon stuff on Bulbapedia, actually became excited for the upcoming BW2 release that October.

As some know, at the time, I was a homeschool student doing all my classes online. I didn't get much social interaction in person, so I did look online for most of my interactions. I lurked in #pokemon on IRC and on the forums often. I found everyone very smart and interesting, and loved reading and looking at people's adventures in the Photo Album thread.

At the same time, I didn't really want to join the forums because (and this seems silly, especially 10 years later!) I didn't want to have the reputation as "the new guy". That wasn't really something I was familiar with. I was on the internet from a pretty young age, and so my accounts on most websites were registered in the pretty early days of those sites. For example, my YouTube account is from 2008, 3 years into the lifespan of the site. My Twitch.TV account actually is a month older than the site's official launch date, due to it carrying over Justin.TV accounts. Smogon had already been around for 8 years, and I didn't want to be known as the new guy who just joined and doesn't fit in. But, I figured that the longer I waited to make an account, the newer and newer I would be, so I might as well make an account now even if I don't plan to use it yet.

So, during the nighttime hours of September 24th, 2012, I officially registered my Smogon account, and announced that I joined on #pokemon on IRC. The first Smogon user that I interacted with was Theorymon! Unfortunately, our hard drives containing the logs from that time are not necessarily readable any longer, so I don't have the exact logs (if anyone has the logs from that time, that would be really cool!). But I do remember that he said that Smogon hadn't really had any new users in a while, so that was cool. And it is also cool that we are still friends 10 years later (though we didn't really get to know each other until like 2016). I remember being, in the immediate aftermath, really happy about it and dancing in the kitchen, much to the confusion of my mom and brother.

I remember thinking that because it was a Pokemon site, it would be full of weebs. So my first avatar was this, which I still use on Discord some Halloweens.

However, the avatar I changed to a few weeks later and was mostly known for was a screenshot from the Looney Tunes 1943 short "Daffy the Commando". Unfortunately, like the IRC logs, I don't have the exact image I used anymore, but it was during the scene where he parachutes down. Here is a new screenshot I took, closest that I could get.

My first signature was a quote from Nicholas D. Wolfwood from the anime Trigun, which I was watching at the time:

"I'm actually surprised you can smile like that. You had me kinda worried. I noticed that you smile, and seem really friendly, but the way you would smile was so empty that it hurt to watch you. You're hurting like crazy on the inside, and yet you grin and bear it. At least that's this man's opinion anyway. ...That's why I HAVE THIS CONFESSIONAL!!!"

Very cringe!

Anyhow, my first actual post (with the original avatar and signature) wasn't on October 3rd, and not even in a competitive Pokemon thread. Instead, it was in the forum called "a forum" (a combination of Cong and the then-Firebot) in the thread called "favorite spongebob moment/quote/scene POST HERE ITT" made by our very own faint. THANKFULLY, I said "My first post on Smogon" in it, so I know it's the real deal!

It's not too awfully embarrassing aside from the unironic "XD" (which wasn't the worst thing in the world, for the time).

The first two links still work, and they're the Moar Krabs montage, and the Does this look unsure to you? bit. The last link no longer works, but it's the robot Krabs dance. Re-upload here.

I did find the forums hard to get into, so I, like many people of the time, spent a lot of time in these member-run subforums called "Social Groups" instead. Shoutouts to all of my other buddies from BABA - Bald Accountant's Battle Arena! It's funny to look back at all the stupid teenage drama we argued about back then. The three still-active users that I have known the longest would be Theorymon, the first user I interacted with, Don Honchkrorleone, someone who basically made friends with every new user and was really active in BABA, and Jio, whom I legitimately only first talked to because I thought his Elesa avatar was hot.

Anyhow, I'm going to stop here before this becomes a recap of the next 9 years as well. In summation, Smogon has been a big part of my life since I was 16, and I have learned a lot of great lessons and skills and made a lot of close friends here. Though I'm not as active as I was (on the forums at least, I'm still pretty active on Discord!) I wanted to commemorate something that definitely had a big impact on my growth as a person, and take a little trip down memory lane to ten years ago and see how much of it I could remember.

It would seem somewhat self-serving to ask people to share their memories of me in this thread, so if you don't wanna do that, I also invite you to post your favorite SpongeBob moments below! I need to do some thinking about my favorite SpongeBob moments, and if they've changed over ten years, too. I guess I personally have until October 3rd to do that.

Sijih

game show genius
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I remember when we played smogoff amoongus and I wanted to message all my info to someone, I decided on you because you I've always thought you seemed like a trustworthy reliable and levelheaded person. unfortunately you were an imposter, so my instincts failed me and I actually got owned - you villain... playing witty was also always fun back in the day (probably a year or two ago at this point I guess?)

anyways, I feel like you're doing a disservice to yourself by only talking about the first year. you've been on the forum for a decade (!), and focusing on any one year in particular isn't the whole picture. obviously I don't want to give you a chore, but I feel like noone would be opposed to you at least mentioning a few things that have stuck with you.

p.s. does 2022 hulavuta find the mr. krabs memes as funny as 2012 hulavuta did? they're pretty solid and spongebob memes are still popular. i guess you were ahead of the curve

Last edited:

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
shit, really? you really have had a time here. a long one anyway

I think I'm just around a year older than you (if you count shadowbone66). Didn't go far out of what was then Anime Style Battling for a long while, but eventally I branched out slightly. I know we were in a group message for a while, and I really got to know you there. Idr the name of it, but I remember some fun times.

after that, I slowly migrated to Battle Spot, and I got even closer. i felt like that we were thick as thieves for a good long while; we confided in each other, talked out issues in our lives, and really grew to trust each other. you've had a big impact on the person i am today - not just online, but as a whole.

i keep saying that i hate we're not as close as we used to be, but i will always consider you one of the most important people in my life - i wouldn't be who i am without you. love u, man. here's to more memories

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
#10yeargang

Yeah, not many of us who been here 10 years that is a small number. I will say, I do miss my friends who I knew back in the day who aren't as active. I haven't seen people login since 2012 :/ RIP.

Though I'm not as active as I was (on the forums at least, I'm still pretty active on Discord!)
Yeah I do feel that's where it's heading in general in terms of activity.

But congratulations on being an OG.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I really liked that one scene where they start a campfire underwater to fend off the sea bear. But I wasn't allowed to watch cartoons as a kid, so I had to get it secondhand at friends houses.

One of the coolest early-ish memories I have of hula (it wasn't that long ago, was it????????) was chatting in an old irc channel with another user called Mack The Knife. It was late at night, and we started doing this word association game where we would use the last letter or the last word of a phrase to come up with a new phrase and keep passing it around all of us. It went on for a few minutes and was a cool little incidental bit of fun. What made this a classic lol was that the next day, mack the knife highlighted (@ing you on irc for you zoomers in the thread) both of us and said they really enjoyed the "rap battle" that we had, despite having nothing to do with rapping or even rhyming whatsoever. A few months later, that user left the website, and we never got to have our rap battle rematch....

It's been a nice long memorable time!

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
hi hulavuta we didn't interact much Back In The Day but i've always perceived you as a sweet individual!! so ty for being you!

also you will log on to smogon 60 years from now trust

edit: 2 of my fav episodes are DOODLE BOB and IDIOT BOX :tyke:

Last edited:

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I remember when we played smogoff amoongus and I wanted to message all my info to someone, I decided on you because you I've always thought you seemed like a trustworthy reliable and levelheaded person. unfortunately you were an imposter, so my instincts failed me and I actually got owned - you villain... playing witty was also always fun back in the day (probably a year or two ago at this point I guess?)
Good times for me as well. I really love mafia-style games and I noticed that activity really seemed to die in Amoonguss as time went on, so I felt like people were more willing to bandwagon on a decision that sounded good, without really thinking it through. We were really off to a rough start since we lost 2 imposters early on.

anyways, I feel like you're doing a disservice to yourself by only talking about the first year. you've been on the forum for a decade (!), and focusing on any one year in particular isn't the whole picture. obviously I don't want to give you a chore, but I feel like noone would be opposed to you at least mentioning a few things that have stuck with you.
Sure, I might! Posting seems like a lot of work these days though lol.

p.s. does 2022 hulavuta find the mr. krabs memes as funny as 2012 hulavuta did? they're pretty solid and spongebob memes are still popular. i guess you were ahead of the curve
That's a really good question actually. Now that you mention it and I think about it, I feel like SpongeBob has really endured the test of time and really avoided trends. It doesn't seem dated at all, perhaps because it was so self-contained in its own fictional world and didn't reference pop culture all that much. Even things like David Hasselhoff showing up in the movie already had a level of ironic distance. I guess the point is we still enjoy SpongeBob now the same way that we did back then.

after that, I slowly migrated to Battle Spot, and I got even closer. i felt like that we were thick as thieves for a good long while; we confided in each other, talked out issues in our lives, and really grew to trust each other. you've had a big impact on the person i am today - not just online, but as a whole.

i keep saying that i hate we're not as close as we used to be, but i will always consider you one of the most important people in my life - i wouldn't be who i am without you. love u, man. here's to more memories
Wow, that is really nice to hear. I really do try to and hope that I have a positive impact on people, but it's hard to tell because people rarely express that.

I remember back in September 2019 you stopped speaking to me, which was the second time a close friend had done that that year, and landed me back in therapy. That funny thing is that we worked things out right before my second appointment. But that therapy group itself led to a whole hurricane of events and people that changed my life. Crazy how things happen like that.

i still cant get over when we all got our avatars changed to jynx on april fools day a few years back in that forum group pm we had because discord didnt exist yet
:Smogjynx:

That is one of my favorite memories here too. Though it always kinda rubbed me the wrong way that Litra just got a warning to change hers back, whereas we were stuck as Jynxes for a week. But I guess the logic was that we were around for the Tr*ple H*art All*ance stuff and should've really known better. lol. At least we were all Jynxes together!

What did you mean by this?

One of the coolest early-ish memories I have of hula (it wasn't that long ago, was it????????) was chatting in an old irc channel with another user called Mack The Knife. It was late at night, and we started doing this word association game where we would use the last letter or the last word of a phrase to come up with a new phrase and keep passing it around all of us. It went on for a few minutes and was a cool little incidental bit of fun. What made this a classic lol was that the next day, mack the knife highlighted (@ing you on irc for you zoomers in the thread) both of us and said they really enjoyed the "rap battle" that we had, despite having nothing to do with rapping or even rhyming whatsoever. A few months later, that user left the website, and we never got to have our rap battle rematch....
I think that Mack did that during the same day, while we were doing it. And said this was the first time that he saw a rap battle lol. I really miss that guy a lot, he was a ton of fun. He was actually just one of the guys I saw around and thought he would be cool to make friends with. You and Lady Salamence were pretty chummy with him so he was easy to get ahold of. And he had a lot of similar interests to us.

I think that happened in November or October 2013.

I remember I met you through Redew in like early 2013 but we didn't become close friends until February 2014. We were talking about the Lego movie and that just segued into other stuff.

Spongebob is forever my favorite show so it's hard to pick a top moment, but I still swear in dolphin to this day so probably that lmao

Hi hula, you're still beby to me, hope life is good
Good to see you are still around too :D
It is nice to know that no matter how old I get, there will be people older than me. That goes for the quote right below this too.

10 years thats cute. On to the next 10 Hulawhoop!
Hopefully we will get that drink together before 10 more years are up.
And I wanna see more of your car reviews, those were so well-produced and relaxing to watch :heart:

hi hulavuta we didn't interact much Back In The Day but i've always perceived you as a sweet individual!! so ty for being you!

also you will log on to smogon 60 years from now trust

edit: 2 of my fav episodes are DOODLE BOB and IDIOT BOX :tyke:
You were also someone I saw around a lot back in the day and thought was cool, even though we never really talked. But it is cool to finally meet 9 or so years later!

Also good to know that I will still be alive in 60 years (and so will Smogon).

My friends in elementary school always talked about Doodle Bob being one of their favorite episodes, but I always only seemed to be able to catch the tail end of it when it was on TV. Thankfully, a few years later I was able to get lucky and watch the whole thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)