XY NU [12:22:20 PM] blunder: ey is qwil a good scarfer

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Introduction

Introductions are boring so I am going to make it as short as possible: I originally made this team back in July for a teambuilding competition thread as I was quite bored. The team ended up being better than I though it would be, and since apparently a lot of people (including myself) have been using this with good success on ladder and in some tournaments, I decided that I might as well RMT it :toast:.

The goal of the team is to overwhelm the opponent with strong attackers that share similar checks or counters with reliable entry hazard support.

Teambuilding Process

I first made this team for the NU TeamBuilding Competition (which was back in July), which requested the team to be made around a particuliar core: Mismagius and Pawniard. Since they are together the best way to keep your entry hazards on the opponent's side of the field, I decided to pair them with a Lead Crustle.

Now that I had decided on my entry hazards core, I had to choose the offensive core that will appreciate the support and that can easily break through most teams by themself. I decided to try out a core that I used on some of my balanced teams : Swords Dance Feraligatr + Quiver Dance Lilligant + Healing Wish LO Mesprit.

This was the original team, which my friends and I used to good success in the multiple PS NU Room Tournaments and on the ladder in July.

When Shiftry, which was one of the biggest threat to the team, left the tier in the August's Tier shift, I decided to try out Kangaskhan over Pawniard as the team often had problems with Sawk, Typhlosion, Magmortar, and some other fast hard-hitters, which worked amazingly well. This is also the version I used to win an 'important' NUPL game (lol).

The Squad

Crustle @ Red Card
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rock Blast
- Knock Off

This is my lead 90% of the time. While it doesn't have as much offensive presence as Focus Sash Omastar, Crustle's ability to run items such as Red Card and Mental Herb gives it a nice niche. Both items work with this team, but I personally prefer Red Card as sometimes people think they can freely set up Turn 1 and sweep, just to get phazed away. It can also bring in a Pokemon that can't stop this from setting up more Spikes if you are lucky enough! Rock Blast is Crustle's best STAB as it can break Substitute, helps against most Defog users (Pelipper, Togetic, Vullaby, and Mantine, for exemple), and also lets Crustle deal with Xatu well. Finally, I use Knock Off over Earthquake as I value removing items (especially Eviolite) more helpful than being able to hit Steel-, Electric-, and Rock-types harder.

Mismagius @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt
- Nasty Plot

One of the best Spinblocker in NU right now. I prefer Colbur Berry over Leftovers or Life Orb because it lets Mismagius take less from Knock Off Sandslash and Seismitoad, to name a few. It also lets Mismagius take a Sucker Punch (or a 80bp Pursuit) from a Max Attack Blackglasses Spiritomb at full health (can also survive a Knock Off from Liepard), which is amazing as it let Mismagius lure and weaken/OHKO Dark-types for Mesprit. Mismagius can also run Destiny Bond to lure Dark-types, but I needed Mismagius to be able to set up with Nasty Plot to beat Stall and to be able to prevent Defog and entry hazards with Taunt.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch / Fire Punch / Earthquake / Hammer Arm

Kangaskhan is the glue of this team thanks to its access to both Fake Out and Sucker Punch, which lets Kangaskhan revenge kill pretty much anything when needed. There's honestly not much to say about this Australian monster, as the first three moves are pretty straightforward: spam Fake Out and or Sucker Punch, and click Double-Edge when you need Kangaskhan to do a good amount to anything that doesn't resist it. The fourth move is also filler as you will rarely use it with this team: all four of them work, but I personally prefer Drain Punch to get back some health when possible.

Feraligatr @ Mystic Water
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

The god itself.. and the main sweeper of this team. Feraligatr is my main answer to Fire-types as it's the only Pokemon on my team that isnt OHKOed by a Typhlosion's Choice Specs Eruption, and can beat it with Aqua Jet if it's taken prior damage (which most of the time will be from entry hazards). The Speed EVs are enough to outspeed Max Speed Pawniard, which can be annoying against my team if its played well. I also run Mystic Water to give more power behind Feraligatr's STABs, as I want it to be able to do as much damage as possible with Aqua Jet after a Swords Dance and Lum Berry isn't really needed on this team anyway thanks to Healing Wish Mesprit. Finally, I chose Ice Punch over Return so that Feraligatr can break through Dragalge, Vileplume, and Gourgeist more easily, and so that it can hit frailer Grass-types trying to come in on a Swords Dance for a good amount too :]

Lilligant (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Own Tempo
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder

Lilligant is used on this team as I needed a good Feraligatr check that could also support my own Feraligatr to get a sweep going. What I like about Lilligant and Feraligatr is that they share similar 'counters', which means that they can easily weaken the opponent's answers to them and allow the other to break through. Sleep Powder is also really nice to stop a potential threat from doing its job or to put to sleep Dragon-types such as Dragalge, which takes nothing from Lilligant's attacking moves.

Mesprit @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Healing Wish

My favorite set for Mesprit :]. I chose to run Psychic / Grass / Fire coverage as I personally think it is the best coverage possible in the tier right now: lets it hit Seismitoad, Vileplume, Rhydon, Dragalge, Poliwrath, Ferroseed, Garbodor, Feraligatr, Pawniard, Klinklang, Piloswine, and more for as much damage as possible, which is fantastic when paired with Feraligatr and Lilligant as they both like these Pokemon removed or weakened. Finally, Healing Wish is possibly my favorite move ever as it lets me play recklessly with the whole team without having to care about taking too much damage as I can always heal back to full the Pokemon of my choice.

Conclusion

One of the main threat to this team is Vullaby: this little bird walls Mesprit and Lilligant, and has Foul Play to mess with both Feraligatr and Kangaskhan, which may fail to 2HKO Vullaby without any prior damage (can be hard to get when that damn thing has Roost). Fortunately, nobody really use it for some reasons, but if you end up playing against one, your best bet is to set up Stealth Rock ASAP and predict around it perfectly. You can also try different sets, such as using Healing Wish on Lilligant over Quiver Dance to let Mesprit run Calm Mind, but I think the current sets fits the team better.

Shoutout to my frens on Skype, IRC, and to Ainsley Harriott for being a lord :]

Import
Crustle @ Red Card
Ability: Sturdy
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rock Blast
- Knock Off

Mismagius @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt
- Nasty Plot

Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch

EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

Lilligant (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Own Tempo
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder

Mesprit @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Healing Wish

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
not a bad team sorta weak to rotom i would suggest jolly on your crustle to outspeed stuff and nice feraligatr lilligant combo i wonder who came up with that
lol i just realised it was adamant, fixed it

as for Rotom, I usually can play around it with Kangaskhan and Feraligatr, which usually only needs a bit of prior damage to OHKO with +2 Aqua Jet. It is annoying though, but not as much of a problem as that damn bird.

just here to confirm for blunder that qwil is indeed the top tier scarfer threat :]

also have you considered switching last move slot around with Crunch on kanga? more consistent damage to magious which can threaten you if it manages to set up
Kangaskhan has Scrappy :toast:

Last edited:
Fren :]. Obviously a solid team and I was involved when the team was first made back in the Shiftry meta, Mesprit + Lilligant + Feraligatr is a really solid offensive core at the moment so props for innovating it. There's really not a lot to change with this team that wouldn't just open up other holes or mess with the offensive synergy so I'm pretty much limited to suggesting some other possible EV changes but even then I'm not sure if they are needed. Anyway Feraligatr could possibly run an EV spread of 64 Hp / 252 Atk / 192 Spe to let it out pace neutral base 70's. You could also tinker with Kangaskhan's spread and drop it to 40 Hp / 252 Atk / 216 Spe which would let you out pace neutral base 85's, you lose the ability to speed tie with other Kangaskhan though which could potentially be problematic.

EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Punch

EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch

Solid team big dog,,

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Excellent team Soulgazer! It clearly shows that you're beginning to understand the complex art that is advanced teambuilding, and that makes me hella proud. Don't listen to bullies such as FLCL who claim that you stole their ideas. You might feel a bit down about it, but fortunately for you (and unfortunately for them!), I am here to rate your team and help make it better than anything the previously mentioned user could ever achieve.

The first thing I recommend is swapping your current Crustle for Omastar. Omastar's better offensive presence will allow you to gain easy momentum in the first few turns which is crucial for an offensive team. Not only that, but Crustle is a pretty lame looking Pokémon, while Omastar is a fuckin' badass prehistoric snail! You might lose the ability to use Red Card (which is a lame item), but Omastar's Scald is more than enough to deny set up to annoying niggers such as Feraligatr.

Your team is also fairly slow. Why not use a Scarf Rotom instead of Mismagius? This gives you an excellent revenge killer and a spinblocker. No need for silly items such as Colbur Berry when you can just Volt Switch out of Pursuiters before they can even get the chance to pursuit you, right?

Next, since your team doesn't need to rely on shaky strategies such as Fake Out and Sucker Punch to not get swept by anything faster than base 105 Speed anymore, I think you could use extra firepower over Kangaskhan; a Double Dance Rampardos is mighty enough to take down Vullaby in just one hit from Head Smash. It also gives you a reliable game ender for games against offenses! Rampardos also has excellent synergy with Omastar as both are terrifying prehistoric Pokémon.

Feraligatr is nice, but not that nice either. It struggles against many threats. I recommend using Rain Dance Ludicolo instead; thanks to its excellent Special Attack stat, coupled with its excellent typing and ability, it will be able to clean those annoying offense teams after little previous damage. Such a fearsome beast being absent from this team kind of baffles me which is why I added it.

Next, if you want to break through Vileplume, you'll need a better lure than Lilligant. I suggest you try Sceptile instead; with its great Speed and access to both Swords Dance and Acrobatics, it'll take it down super easily! Sceptile and Ludicolo are both Grass types so they have an easy time breaking each other's counters.

Last thing I think you could change would be Mesprit. Mesprit might look intimidating because of its legendary status and the fact it's such an annoying nigger to catch in-game, but I think your team would benefit more from a Magic Guard Kadabra. The added Speed is never enough for offenses like yours! Mesprit might have Healing Wish, but Kadabra has Thunder Wave, a move that always gives you a chance to win.

With only these few changes, I think your team is now perfect; I hope you have fun playing with this team and hopefully you'll reach a new ladder peak with those changes :toast:

Omastar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swift Swim
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Rampardos @ Lum Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Edgar (Ludicolo) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Sceptile
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Kadabra @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder Wave

Happy battling!

Fuck Soulgazer sniped me by posting first on this threat wat to do.

Freaking awesome team man! I really don't have much to change just cause of how solid the team is, but I find you have a hard time with Archeops if you lose feraligatr. Kangaskhan plays mindgames with it, and it outspeeds and hits everything else incredibly hard with a Acrobatics or LO Stone Edge. I think you could try Spiritomb over Mismagius to help better your chances against Archeops with Strong Priority and Will-o-Wisp, but tbh I like the team the way it is!

Oh and I like New Breed's Kangaskhan EV Spread but I think that Feraligatr's EVs should at least allow it to live uninvested Vileplume giga drain, which imo is a crucial EV spread to tailor towards. Therefore I suggest an EV spread of 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spe since it lets you still live Vileplume Giga comfortably, but also lets you outpace max speed + nature base 45 and noninvested base 85, which tbh is more than enough, since a Mystic Water Aqua Jet at +2 hits insanely hard anyways.

Great team!

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Jirachee gave you a nice and comprehensive rate, but I feel that Rampardos isn't really the best option for this team, even if you've never missed a Head Smash in your life. Beartic fits along with Ludicolo and Omastar a lot better, giving you a semi-rain offensive hazard setting core, and helps mitigate the Vullaby weakness, as long as it is well played.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
Fuck Soulgazer sniped me by posting first on this threat wat to do.

Freaking awesome team man! I really don't have much to change just cause of how solid the team is, but I find you have a hard time with Archeops if you lose feraligatr. Kangaskhan plays mindgames with it, and it outspeeds and hits everything else incredibly hard with a Acrobatics or LO Stone Edge. I think you could try Spiritomb over Mismagius to help better your chances against Archeops with Strong Priority and Will-o-Wisp, but tbh I like the team the way it is!

Oh and I like New Breed's Kangaskhan EV Spread but I think that Feraligatr's EVs should at least allow it to live uninvested Vileplume giga drain, which imo is a crucial EV spread to tailor towards. Therefore I suggest an EV spread of 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spe since it lets you still live Vileplume Giga comfortably, but also lets you outpace max speed + nature base 45 and noninvested base 85, which tbh is more than enough, since a Mystic Water Aqua Jet at +2 hits insanely hard anyways.

Great team!
Yeah Archeops is indeed a threat on paper, but I never really had an issue fighting against one as it can't switch on anything, and it is not that hard to put it in Defeatist range, so tbh as long as you play well you should be fine. Not to forget that most of the time, it's just the Lead set lol.

As for Spiritomb over Mismagius, I would need to give up on my only Taunt user; which will leave me with no entry hazards control :[. I would also lose my main Vullaby answer, which is already annoying as it is..

I will try out your Feraligatr spread though, as I feel like Pawniard is being used less lately.. and I might as well try New Breed's faster spread to see which one I prefer out of the three :]

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
SG n_n This is obviously a successful team and as noted above there's not much I can suggest other than Jirachee's rate without opening more holes. As you've noticed yourself you're kinda weak to Dark-types (both offensive and defensive) and Cryo could theoretically be a problem too since it can spin against Mesprit and Lilligant and beats Mismagius. I guess you could try Destiny Bond over Taunt on Missy which makes playing around them easier and most hazard setters usually won't set up for the threat of a +2 Missy. You could also try Dazzling Gleam or something over HP Fire on Mesprit since it 2HKOes Vullaby and I don't think two HP Fire users is really necessary.

Btw I think your current Gatr spread is probably the best because Pawniard is still somewhat common and you don't have many good answers to it so checking it is pretty important.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)