SS OU 1500 elo anti meta lead (no hazards)

Update number 1: https://pokepast.es/9a17e81f40adc8ca (updated ttar, clef, blissey sets, swapped corv for lando}

Update number 2: https://pokepast.es/6a6c24fd51c57024 (swapped dragapult for melmetal)

1664488248422.png

Delete (Tyranitar) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Sand Stream
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Thunderbolt / Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

The star of the show and the king of mind games in low to mid ladder: Special attacking Ttar. Great lead, as most other leads will either taunt, set up, or switch to lando, all of which are favorable. The max modest nature and max speed almost always ohkos and outspeed the non speed invested landos and easily 2hko and outspeed special bulk landos on the switch. Almost always ohkos garchomps and the amount of times ive seen them stealth rock or swords dance instead of EQ is staggering. Thunderbolt is mainly for DDance Gyarados (they almost exclusively DDance instead of waterfall) but if thunderbolt is on clefable then earth power is a better choice for dealing with heatran as they are hard to trap with urshifu. Expert belt is what i found to be most useful as the mind games usually always lead to a super effective coverage

notable calcs:
252+ SpA Expert Belt Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 350-413 (91.6 - 108.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Garchomp: 336-398 (80 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 252-296 (73.9 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Remove (Corviknight) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Body Press
- Roost
- Defog

Good for the occasional Rillaboom or hawlucha, can sometimes catch a heatran switch in off gaurd with a body press but that's mostly for weavile.
A good trade if their urshifu or weavile arent wearing protective pads, same with choice locked double iron melmetal.
Not a super huge player on the team but helps keep Ttar alive in case of HO leads.

Hinder (Dragapult) @ Wide Lens
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hex
- Thunder Wave
- Will-O-Wisp

Amazing for speed control and punishing the greedy lando knock off with a wow.
Can rack a few wins on its own with draco and hex but by forcing switches and statusing the team its much better as utility disguised as a revenge killer.
Can be used as a decent pivot but i try not to save dragapult for late game and have it disrupt early on after ttar is taken out

Annoy (Clefable) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt / Soft-Boiled
- Ice Beam

Max speed for outspeeding and ohkoing non-invested Landos, is essentially the same coverage as ttar but both get mistaken for hazard leads and usually get one free big hit off the switch in, set up, or taunt. Magic gaurd life orb modest hits alot harder than people are expecting and the max speed sometimes catches more than just landos off gaurd. Softboiled can be used for longevity but i find bolt beam coverage more helpful as with the speed investment you lose all bulk pros.

Disrupt (Blissey) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Modest Nature
- Tri Attack
- Toxic
- Heal Bell / Seismic Toss / Shadow Ball
- Soft-Boiled

Another perfect candidate for king of mind games, serene grace tri attack has won many matches on its own. usually get one free tri attack on the switch when forcing out a special attacker and if that leads to a crippling freeze or beneficial para or burn than no momentum is lost on the next pivot. i dont find seismic toss very good and i dont usually get walled by ghosts very often so the need for shadow ball is low. Modest and max speed for those mandibuzz switch ins expecting a stealth rock only to get hit with a second tri attack on the next turn for the 2hko. can actually dent most mons that dont resist normal and does a great job of disrupting momentum with the tri attack serene grace shenanigans. heal bell for the toxic trades and the off chance urshifu gets static by zapdos, or flame bodied by heatran or volc sacks.

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Thunder Punch / U-Turn
- Aqua Jet

Max attack adamant for best possible damage output, try to save for when speedy threats are crippled by dragapult or otherwise deleted by Ttar/Clef mind games. Getting rid of buzzswoles and ferrothorns with Ttar flamethrower predicts is high priority before shifu can sweep. not much needs to be said about this mon besides watch out for rocky helmets and i usually forgo uturn since momentum near the end game is usually high enough for a sack or hard switch if needed.

Last edited:
that still doesn't explain why you're going out of your way to avoid hazards
To throw off the opponent the meta is hazard stack almost everyone low ladder has a setup lead and this anti meta lead plays into that expectation and I usually get 2 free turns otherwise occupied by spikes or Stealth Rock pivot

Honestly there isn’t really a lead meta in modern gens. And a lot of hazard setting takes place later in the game too.
From 1200 to 1500 I saw alot of azelf and mew leads and dark pulse flinch locks the defensive ones pretty good, alot of ribombee/klefki/aerodactyl taunt leads and this handles those pretty good, and the basic reaction to a ttar or clef Stealth Rock lead would be to switch out to Lando thinking ttar is phys for a free ice beam predict its not really an anti meta team just the lead which provides pretty decent momentum or gets shut down immediately I just thought it was a fun idea and wouldn't mind feedback

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Hello gen3torkoal,

Very interesting team, I like your attention catching title with the 'No hazards' portion.

To say that you're trying to throw people off is cool for sure, but reasoning for not having Stealth Rock on Tyranitar I don't agree with. Tyranitar is not fast at all, and will get outspeed by a lot of leads in general so the idea of having an all out attacking set is definitely a surprise for the user but I don't think helps endure success at the end. I can see the importance of flamethrower for metal leads, Ice beam for Landorus leads going for Stealth Rock, and thunderbolt for water leads / Politoed.

I think the reason you can't get passed 1500 is not having hazards, Stall would eat this team alive, you have no legitimate sweeper aside from Urshifu-Rapid-Strike. Entry hazard is an essential part of the game or at least the ability to provide and prevent it that's why every team you see has Defog / Rapid Spin its almost mandatory unless you're running a super hyper offense where the game isn't supposed to go passed 20 turns.

That being said I think you need to go a different route for Tyranitar. Tyranitar has a base 134 attack, to not utilize it will only hurt you. I can see mixed Tyranitar still be a rude awakening as lead or even a stealth rocker. This set will KO Landorus-Therian and 2HKO Ferrothorn and Bulky Garchomp.

0 SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 232-276 (65.9 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 80+ Def Tyranitar: 212-252 (52.6 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Expert Belt Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-Therian: 355-422 (92.9 - 110.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

1664591048208.png

Tyranitar @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast / Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

For this set you can play around with the EVs if you wanted I'm going to recommend Shuca because of the Landorus-Therian, Tyranitar, and Garchomp leads. You can even go with Expert Belt if you really want to be OHKOing Landorus-Therian. This set provides bulk and still gives a shock factor having Ice Beam and Fire Blast. Rock Blast is to bother flying leads but you can also go with Crunch for a solid STAB move that can chip damage.

To continue to go down the list Corviknight is fine.

I think Wide lens (Dragapult) is niche but can work because of Will-O-Wisp and Draco Meteor, I do think double status with a Pokemon like Dragapult a weaker defensive Pokemon can be a waste of a move. I think Thunder Wave should be replaced with U-Turn I think Dragapult assisting as a pivoter will assist this team with setting up and chip damage and not over-predicting.

Clefable isn't bad, I just don't like the set because Clefable at the EV you currently have it will only give you 219 speed which will not let you outspeed a lot of things in the Metagame, yet using 252 EVs on speed might be a waste because Clefable works better as a bulky sweeper. I also would recommend having Calm Mind because Clefable could work as late game sweeper potentially if all threats get removed towards the end of the game which I would recommend at least adding Calm Mind since like I said earlier this team is lacking another late game sweeper since Urshifu is banded it would be hard to break stall which is where Clefable would come in.

1664592228143.png

Clefable @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Fire Blast

This might be a first I never saw anyone attempt to put 252 Speed EVs on Blissey which has the max neutral speed of '209'. Blissey is mandatory to have 252 DEF Bold nature because it cannot take any physical hits at all with the current set you have. You need a special defensive wall and a ghost resistance so I will recommend to keep Blissey but to follow the standard set. Is Serene Grace Tri-Attack worth having over Thunder Wave or Toxic?
1664592847550.png

Blissey @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Teleport

I will say that from a threat perspective Zeraora mauls this team especially after 1 bulk up on something you have out like an unfavorable matchup like Blissey it will OHKO everything.

+1 252 Atk Zeraora Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 362-428 (114.1 - 135%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Corviknight: 330-390 (82.5 - 97.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(After Stealth Rock has decent chance of OHKO)

To potentially stop Zeraora I would recommend a Smogon standard Defog Landorus-Therian set over Corviknight.

Best of luck with this team.

Last edited:
Hello gen3torkoal,

Very interesting team, I like your attention catching title with the 'No hazards' portion.

To say that you're trying to throw people off is cool for sure, but reasoning for not having Stealth Rock on Tyranitar I don't agree with. Tyranitar is not fast at all, and will get outspeed by a lot of leads in general so the idea of having an all out attacking set is definitely a surprise for the user but I don't think helps endure success at the end. I can see the importance of flamethrower for metal leads, Ice beam for Landorus leads going for Stealth Rock, and thunderbolt for water leads / Politoed.

I think the reason you can't get passed 1500 is not having hazards, Stall would eat this team alive, you have no legitimate sweeper aside from Urshifu-Rapid-Strike. Entry hazard is an essential part of the game or at least the ability to provide and prevent it that's why every team you see has Defog / Rapid Spin its almost mandatory unless you're running a super hyper offense where the game isn't supposed to go passed 20 turns.

That being said I think you need to go a different route for Tyranitar. Tyranitar has a base 134 attack, to not utilize it will only hurt you. I can see mixed Tyranitar still be a rude awakening as lead or even a stealth rocker. This set will KO Landorus-Therian and 2HKO Ferrothorn and Bulky Garchomp.

0 SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 232-276 (65.9 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 80+ Def Tyranitar: 212-252 (52.6 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Expert Belt Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-Therian: 355-422 (92.9 - 110.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

View attachment 456183
Tyranitar @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast / Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

For this set you can play around with the EVs if you wanted I'm going to recommend Shuca because of the Landorus-Therian, Tyranitar, and Garchomp leads. You can even go with Expert Belt if you really want to be OHKOing Landorus-Therian. This set provides bulk and still gives a shock factor having Ice Beam and Fire Blast. Rock Blast is to bother flying leads but you can also go with Crunch for a solid STAB move that can chip damage.

To continue to go down the list Corviknight is fine.

I think Wide lens (Dragapult) is niche but can work because of Will-O-Wisp and Draco Meteor, I do think double status with a Pokemon like Dragapult a weaker defensive Pokemon can be a waste of a move. I think Thunder Wave should be replaced with U-Turn I think Dragapult assisting as a pivoter will assist this team with setting up and chip damage and not over-predicting.

Clefable isn't bad, I just don't like the set because Clefable at the EV you currently have it will only give you 219 speed which will not let you outspeed a lot of things in the Metagame, yet using 252 EVs on speed might be a waste because Clefable works better as a bulky sweeper. I also would recommend having Calm Mind because Clefable could work as late game sweeper potentially if all threats get removed towards the end of the game which I would recommend at least adding Calm Mind since like I said earlier this team is lacking another late game sweeper since Urshifu is banded it would be hard to break stall which is where Clefable would come in.

View attachment 456188
Clefable @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Fire Blast

This might be a first I never saw anyone attempt to put 252 Speed EVs on Blissey which has the max neutral speed of '209'. Blissey is mandatory to have 252 DEF Bold nature because it cannot take any physical hits at all with the current set you have. You need a special defensive wall and a ghost resistance so I will recommend to keep Blissey but to follow the standard set. Is Serene Grace Tri-Attack worth having over Thunder Wave or Toxic?
View attachment 456196
Blissey @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Teleport

I will say that from a threat perspective Zeraora mauls this team especially after 1 bulk up on something you have out like an unfavorable matchup like Blissey it will OHKO everything.

+1 252 Atk Zeraora Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 362-428 (114.1 - 135%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Corviknight: 330-390 (82.5 - 97.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(After Stealth Rock has decent chance of OHKO)

To potentially stop Zeraora I would recommend a Smogon standard Defog Landorus-Therian set over Corviknight.

Best of luck with this team.
Great feedback appreciate it! I switched out clefable for a max Def unaware calm mind build, and I moved blisseys speed evs over to spd because I never run phys Def bold its a huge waste imo I'd rather switch to phys wall/pivot or play chicken with serene grace tri attack because the amount of freezes it pulls is crazy, took your advice on swapping twave on dragapult and running hp atk ttar crunch fblast icebeam and Stealth rocks I understand the need for them but I personally would rather get the free expert belt hit off since the whole point of the gimmick is to catch Lando t specifically off gaurd the speed evs guaranteed a kill of non choice lando

… and I moved blisseys speed evs over to spd because I never run phys Def bold its a huge waste imo I'd rather switch to phys wall/pivot or play chicken …
Its actually more worth it to run Max PhysDef and HP on Blissey than SpDef. I guess you want a SpDef wall but many special attacking pokemon in the metagame run something to hit Blissey.
Uninvested Blissey’s Defense = 56
EV invested in Defense + Bold Nature = 130
Increase in Defense = 132% increase

Uninvested Blissey’s Special Defense = 305
EV invested in Special Defense + SpDef Nature = 405
Increase in SpDef = 33% increase

Also,
Defensive :blissey: 252 SpA Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 136-162 (19 - 22.6%) -- possible 5HKO
Sp.Defensive :blissey: 252 SpA Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 103-123 (14.4 - 17.2%) -- possible 6HKO
Damage taken is decreased by 4.6% - 5.4% from draco meteor.

Defensive :blissey: 0- Atk Dragapult U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 96-114 (13.4 - 15.9%) -- possible 7HKO
Sp.Defensive :blissey: 0- Atk Dragapult U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Blissey: 222-262 (31 - 36.6%) -- 71.4% chance to 3HKO
Damage taken is increased by 17.6% - 20.7% from u-turn.

Its actually more worth it to run Max PhysDef and HP on Blissey than SpDef. I guess you want a SpDef wall but many special attacking pokemon in the metagame run something to hit Blissey.
Uninvested Blissey’s Defense = 56
EV invested in Defense + Bold Nature = 130
Increase in Defense = 132% increase

Uninvested Blissey’s Special Defense = 305
EV invested in Special Defense + SpDef Nature = 405
Increase in SpDef = 33% increase

Also,
Defensive :blissey: 252 SpA Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 136-162 (19 - 22.6%) -- possible 5HKO
Sp.Defensive :blissey: 252 SpA Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 103-123 (14.4 - 17.2%) -- possible 6HKO
Damage taken is decreased by 4.6% - 5.4% from draco meteor.

Defensive :blissey: 0- Atk Dragapult U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 96-114 (13.4 - 15.9%) -- possible 7HKO
Sp.Defensive :blissey: 0- Atk Dragapult U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Blissey: 222-262 (31 - 36.6%) -- 71.4% chance to 3HKO
Damage taken is increased by 17.6% - 20.7% from u-turn.
I'll consider it but I really love the damage output from modest max spa tri attack, I guess I like the benefit of serene grace and status spam more so maybe Modest don't matter, I'll try and run bold and see if I note improvements. I do still see this team struggling vs zeroara and heatran though and can't think of a way around save for swapping pult or corv for Lando

why arent you using hazards???

also nidkoing is better than t_tar, you dont have a ground type and struggle with quite a few offensive threats. I would just say use samples.

Reading the comments makes me feel like smogon is full of braindead zombies that are not able to think outside the box :D There's more to pokemon than just using the top 10 viable mons over and over with the exact same movesets.

I mean of course you are right, Ttar has better attk than spattk. And of course Nidoking is a better special wallbreaker than Ttar. But this guy obviously uses Ttar to lure Lando, Ferro and others, which would never stay in on a Nidoking.

Sorry if I am being rude, there are also a lot of good rates like the one explaining while blissey always should run Def EVs. Or the one suggesting a shucca berry, which keeps the luring idea and adds a safety net for Earthquakes (the rates also points out to change the EV spread). But comments like "just use the standard set" hinder innovation while disrespecting the OPs ability to make up own sets.

To make this a rate: If I'd run lead lure Ttar, my next thought would be: What benefits of Lando/Ferro being dead? Melmetal for example gets a lot better when those 2 mons are removed. He also improves your Zeraora matchup (It's far from a counter, but it can live a hit and OHKO in return). I like the way u think, keep up the innovation while improving your knowledge about standard sets (e.g. max def on Bliss makes a lot of sense) ;)

Reading the comments makes me feel like smogon is full of braindead zombies that are not able to think outside the box :D There's more to pokemon than just using the top 10 viable mons over and over with the exact same movesets.

I mean of course you are right, Ttar has better attk than spattk. And of course Nidoking is a better special wallbreaker than Ttar. But this guy obviously uses Ttar to lure Lando, Ferro and others, which would never stay in on a Nidoking.

Sorry if I am being rude, there are also a lot of good rates like the one explaining while blissey always should run Def EVs. Or the one suggesting a shucca berry, which keeps the luring idea and adds a safety net for Earthquakes (the rates also points out to change the EV spread). But comments like "just use the standard set" hinder innovation while disrespecting the OPs ability to make up own sets.

To make this a rate: If I'd run lead lure Ttar, my next thought would be: What benefits of Lando/Ferro being dead? Melmetal for example gets a lot better when those 2 mons are removed. He also improves your Zeraora matchup (It's far from a counter, but it can live a hit and OHKO in return). I like the way u think, keep up the innovation while improving your knowledge about standard sets (e.g. max def on Bliss makes a lot of sense) ;)
Thank you! Obviously I understand the need for standard sets but you are right on the money about using ttar as Lando bait, nobody gonna keep those in if Nido on the field. I haven't played smogon competitively for a few generations so I'm still kinda getting used to laddering again and have always leaned toward gimmicks or non-meta options in the past but I've noticed that's a bit harder this gens ou

why arent you using hazards???

also nidkoing is better than t_tar, you dont have a ground type and struggle with quite a few offensive threats. I would just say use samples.
If ima run Nido ima run phys atk can't let your opponent know your next move and with a sample team they know your next move (even posting my team here for others to see will not really do much for them predicting unless they have a zeroara lol)

If ima run Nido ima run phys atk can't let your opponent know your next move and with a sample team they know your next move (even posting my team here for others to see will not really do much for them predicting unless they have a zeroara lol)
??? what, why would you run ohys nido so your opponent doesnt know your next move, that makes no sence.

yea, but this wont work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)