Tournament 1v1 Premier League IV - Tournament Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
1580234237353.png

Art by AmirAlexander
Welcome to the 1v1 Premier League Tournament Discussion Thread! Here you can discuss just about anything related to 1v1 PL, just don't be over the top toxic, offensive or inappropriate. Anything not following the rules will be deleted. Try not to post one-liners too.

Last edited:
Before anyone asks, here’s the PL formats:

SS Bo7
2x SS Bo5
2x SM
1 x ORAS, BW, and DPP

I’m liking the manager signups. Kaif + Stable, though, makes me a bit weary considering their former shit, but Kaif’s turning over a new leaf, so that’s interesting. I wonder where Kentari + Gross Sweep is.

Sadly 2v2 is not in pl but they made a tour to prevent me from writing my piece on its noninclusion which I prepped like 3 weeks ago lmao…

I really wanna see how SM techs impact BW and DPP this time, though.

I hope we get a good pl this year, and as always, thanks for reading and have a nice day :).

Morgan

Morgius Sweep
is a Pre-Contributor
Alright so time for a legitimate post.

PL Predictions:

TDA wins

Now that that's out of the way...

What's going to happen?

SS: SS will be interesting due to the 4 slots. I expect to see a wide variety of teams including: Golisopod Corviknight, Weezing Corviknight, and Corviknight.

Usage is going to be
1. Mimikyu
2. Darmanitan
3. Corviknight
4. Sylveon
5. Dragapult
6. Excadrill

SM: It will be Serp v Kommo-o v Band Chomp. Enough said.

1. Dnite
2. Zard
3. Zera
4. Chomp
5. Serp
6. Lele

ORAS: Idk about oras man. 187's gonna go positive or something

1. zard probably
2. i have no clue

BW: KyuB is legal so that'll get used.

1. KyuB?
2. Suicune?

DPP: my assistant manager cares about dpp, so...

1. Hippowdon

LRXC

ADV 1v1 Pioneer
is a Community Contributor
Hey everyone, I know I haven't been on for a week or so and have been inactive recently, especially in relation to the absurd amount of time I used to be on.

I wanted to let everyone know that I will not be participating in 1v1 PL. College has been taking a lot of my previous freetime, and I want to open up time to do other things and have different experiences, because this fall I pretty much only thought and did one thing, 1v1. I'm also getting really into Melee, and want to explore that as I am having a lot of fun with it. Pair that with exercising and trying to make more friends and meet new people, (and yes a lot of melee), and I just don't have time to fully invest in 1v1 PL as much as I would want to, not only that, but straight up I'm just not into 1v1 right now.

Sorry, I know many of you managers and spectators were excited to see me play in a team setting, and just watch me use creative and interesting things in Old Gens in general.

I will be on from time to time though, and please, PM me if you want me to just look over teams or help test ideas whenever I am on, as I'd love to help. I'll definitely try to get on to watch some highlight matches as well.

Good luck to all teams!

Onward!

Before anyone asks, here’s the PL formats:

SS Bo7
2x SS Bo5
2x SM
1 x ORAS, BW, and DPP

I’m liking the manager signups. Kaif + Stable, though, makes me a bit weary considering their former shit, but Kaif’s turning over a new leaf, so that’s interesting. I wonder where Kentari + Gross Sweep is.

Sadly 2v2 is not in pl but they made a tour to prevent me from writing my piece on its noninclusion which I prepped like 3 weeks ago lmao…

I really wanna see how SM techs impact BW and DPP this time, though.

I hope we get a good pl this year, and as always, thanks for reading and have a nice day :).
Two things.
I know our duo might seem sketchy at first, but I personally have been as nice as possible to everyone for the past months, and I noticed Kaif really wants to redeem himself. So as for toxic behavior, that's out of the question, and our competence regarding the role is pretty much undisputable. I really want to be taken more seriously as a person in the future.

Second thing: I know gen8 just rolled around the corner, but while talking about the last 1v1wc's tiers, it was stated that WC is usually more Old Gen based, and PL was going to have more place for OMs. I'm especially making the case for 2v2, seeing that the generation shift might make it more suitable for players who didn't like it, and the fact that it was the first OM of the month to get a public ladder gives it a strong step towards good metagame development.
Now this doesn't mean I exclude other OMs from getting in, for example I am a huge fan of LC1v1 and I would love having the format in an official tournament.

Personally speaking, I find the 2nd SM slot redundant and the one that is most favorably removable. Having only one SM would incentive the playerbase to move towards a more "current-Gen focused" meta. Also, the 2nd ORAS slot has been a problem for pretty much all of the precedent team tournaments, as there weren't enough competent players to take that place. I wouldn't want the 2x "Last Gen" slot to remain a staple in future tournaments.
I'd really like for ADV to be showcased as one of the metagames, as it has seen quite some popularity and development during Classic, and is actually fun, as opposed to what I thought of it before starting to play it

Kaif

tensai
is a Tiering Contributor
Kaif + Stable, though, makes me a bit weary considering their former shit
whats my former shit?

also can please remove the Bo7 slot and make it a Bo5, I've talked with many players that played bo7 in the last pl (i did as well) and the consensus was that most of the people didnt enjoy playing it. I don't see why we need to add 2 more games and make people build 7 teams per week or just recycle teams which is suboptimal

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Second thing: I know gen8 just rolled around the corner, but while talking about the last 1v1wc's tiers, it was stated that WC is usually more Old Gen based, and PL was going to have more place for OMs. I'm especially making the case for 2v2, seeing that the generation shift might make it more suitable for players who didn't like it, and the fact that it was the first OM of the month to get a public ladder gives it a strong step towards good metagame development.
Now this doesn't mean I exclude other OMs from getting in, for example I am a huge fan of LC1v1 and I would love having the format in an official tournament.

Personally speaking, I find the 2nd SM slot redundant and the one that is most favorably removable. Having only one SM would incentive the playerbase to move towards a more "current-Gen focused" meta. Also, the 2nd ORAS slot has been a problem for pretty much all of the precedent team tournaments, as there weren't enough competent players to take that place. I wouldn't want the 2x "Last Gen" slot to remain a staple in future tournaments.
I'd really like for ADV to be showcased as one of the metagames, as it has seen quite some popularity and development during Classic, and is actually fun, as opposed to what I thought of it before starting to play it
With regards to statements made last WC, they were made prior to the consideration of Snake Draft's inclusion in the tournament schedule. With Snake Draft being a thing, we can now focus the growing attention of 1v1 OMs/other formats onto that while making sure that the pure 1v1 formats are what get focused upon in WC/PL, both being considerably larger scale team tournaments in which we'd want to appeal to the greatest common denominator.

With WC, considering how difficult it can be for multiple teams to even meet minimum player requirements, I believe it'd be best to make this a tournament inclined towards the most recent generations of 1v1, so that effectively everyone who signs up will have an equal opportunity to perform in formats they have experience with.

For PL, since managers actually have control over who gets on their teams, I believe it'd be okay to go the more balanced route with a little bit of everything. That said, though, the metas involved should at least be widely played enough that there would be enough competent players to have at least one or two on each team, imo. Otherwise it'd either be a crapshoot where nobody's particularly good at the format and/or the select few who are good at it get an unfair advantage.

As for the 2nd SM slot, I believe it makes sense, considering that we're still fresh off of gen 7, in addition to the fact that the gen 7 ladder for december has roughly 10x the battle count of any other older gen of 1v1 that got their own monthly ladder. Moving forward, though, I do think it'd make sense to drop the 2nd SM slot once interest eventually dips to the same extent as the other old gens. Once it gets to that point, ADV will easily slip right in, unless 2v2 or some other 1v1 OM get developed to the extent of meeting the qualifications I laid out above.

Doing something like A41/LCB/VG bcs it was interesting to read and im hyped

Regarding SWSH I think we will see many 3k surprises who have more practice from ladder than the average tour Player.
Somebody like MetaChang will do well too if they decide to participate in this. Im also very excited to see whether 5luke does signup this time.
I think from the Tournament Players we already know TSC, Ryy and Nalei will do well if they all dont play SM. Mimi will be a big Problem because of its actually viable versatility in comparison to Dragonite.(I do not consider Firium Dnite a good set, same with groundium)

SM is quite interesting imo. It is very versatile and still very exciting to watch. There is no real Problem with any Pokemon in my opinion. Somebody like ggopw or Squirtell will do well if the former wont play ORAS or the latter wont play swsh

ORAS is cool to watch. Its my favourite 1v1 gen rn and im hyped to play it if needed. I think Mubs will do well if hes allowed to Play it and wants to invest in it. Overall I think the meta is balanced and will do great in further tournaments. I think something like SpDef Zard will start to get used in here too which will change teambuilding and viability of several Mons.

BW is still Solar-land if he takes it seriously. Theres no real new Player who seems to threaten him in any way. We will see if ima decides to signup but even if they do Solar will get one loss during the weeks at max most likely. Overall I think the meta is nice to watch too and isnt to unbalanced. We will see how Registeel and Raikou will affect the games.

DPP is the area of Cabbb and Syno. I would favor Syno if he takes more time building. Cabbb is a great Player and gets extremely intimidating if he gets enough infos about his Opponents. Its even more interesting that both will, most likely, get Manager.

I think honestly, given the current popularity of 1v1 and this tour--indicated by the manager signups alone--we could expand the tour to 10 slots. This would allow for both ADV and 2v2, sating many critics while also giving players who specialize in these tiers a chance to shine. It's probably too late, but I would definitely consider it. It would also allow for more new players to get tournament experience.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
I think honestly, given the current popularity of 1v1 and this tour--indicated by the manager signups alone--we could expand the tour to 10 slots. This would allow for both ADV and 2v2, sating many critics while also giving players who specialize in these tiers a chance to shine. It's probably too late, but I would definitely consider it. It would also allow for more new players to get tournament experience.
dec stats came out and gen 8 1v1 had 122588 games played for december
https://www.smogon.com/stats/2019-12/gen81v1-1630.txt
relative to gen 7 1v1 where we were pushing 250k-377k per month around the time of PL
https://www.smogon.com/stats/2018-12/gen71v1-1630.txt
https://www.smogon.com/stats/2019-01/gen71v1-1630.txt
https://www.smogon.com/stats/2019-02/gen71v1-1630.txt
https://www.smogon.com/stats/2019-03/gen71v1-1630.txt

this, to me, indicated that the interest in 1v1 atm is considerably lower than it was around the same time last year, which, in my opinion, indicates that we might not be suitably sized for 10 slots, just yet.

I expect to get around 110 sign-ups this year given how last year we had gen 7 which was widely more popular. (And if I'm not mistaken was broadcast in the OM room's intro)

Having 140 sign-ups last year, as well as Rosa pointing out the interest in 1v1 in its current state is something to take to thought. As to how popular PL will be. (Another side note is how World-Cup also received 140 sign-ups and was voted the more favored team tour hosted by 1v1)

The last SSNL we had for gen 7 got a total of 70 sign-ups, Summer Seasonal. Now for gen 8 the duration was given extra weeks, as well as boat's mission to get everyone a chance to play, but that got only a 100. Which came with a good amount of players winning by act or opponents quitting/giving wins.

So 110 users signing up for PL seems where it will fall. This is just something I noticed and something that should be taking into account when making decisions. This number can always be pushed, but to avoid activity wins like we have had in the past for PL, keeping things how they were last year with 8 teams, 8 slots is doable but will most likely shoot up to 80+ depending on what managers choose to do.

MANAGER POWER RANKINGS!!! :0

With the closing of manager signups imminent here's my thoughts on the current lineup:

S Tier

1. TheShadowClaw / Blazikin:
Two awesome people who are both very good in this tier and aren't strangers to winning. TSC in particular has been outstanding in recent team tours, so expecting this team to do great should come as no surprise.

2. Alakazam / phiwings99: Big bosso TDA is sure to manage well, overlooking most activity in the community as a whole. Boat is a similarly cool person, who gets on well with most of the community. Their experience will be key to their likely success.

A Tier

3. Waylaid / Cash:
Both of these guys are very good and easily likable, while have an active presence in the community. I can see them building a v good team and progressing far.

4. Lost Heroes / Felucia: Probably the most fun duo of managers! Both of them proved themselves last pl, where they reached the semi finals. I wish them the best of luck should they be chosen as managers again.

5. Robyn / Djokra: Bringing back the Rhys has me very excited!!! Robyn has grown a lot in the past year and Alice is adorable, gl on a semi final place this year!

6. Nalei / pqs: Add the most notorious set builder and cool guy pqs and at least some success is inevitable. Watch out for teams from the sets compendium should you face these guys.

7. Synonimous / Whaleeeee: Syno has made himself known for good reasons recently, while whale has historically been a great player. I feel like whether or not they can draft a solid team will be crucial to their fate.

8. Kaif / stableprince569: Two active users who are both p good. Kaif's apology definately saved his reputation and could squeeze them a place as the 8th team of the tournament.

B Tier

9. ayedan / Yami:
Ayeden is good and cool and Magma is also good but maybe not so cool but are they cool enough to surpass some of the 8 listed above? Hmm...

10. GeneralGunderson / James155: James didn't do too well managing last time around, but is worthy of another chance. GG is a cool guy that would work well alongside him.

11. AllFourtyOne / Jabiru: Both users have been very active in the community as of recent, would be a wildcard team should they be chosen.

12. Joker 1v1: Joker is really fun user who missed out on managing last time around, sadly I doubt he will be chosen without a Co-manager :(

13. Rosa: Another user who's chances are slim because of a solo manage. Past controversy seems to have stuck with her in particular for some reason, which isn't helping. Nonetheless a v cool big staff user.

14. Notater / Attidude: Notater is a strange manager choice who could flourish alongside atti who is very solid. Watching their team unfold would be interesting but I can't see them being chosen unfortunately.

15. Lkjc / Partman: As much as I love these two guys, the meta's they have managed aren't taken very seriously by a majority of the community :( still wish the best of luck.

16. yogi / SolarflareRo: Adding Solar could be a saving grace for yogi who probably wasn't getting manager. Solar is a cool guy who did outstanding (!) last pl.

17. ima / rozes: ima did exceptionally well last time around as a player, but I'm unsure if managing in a tier he's not very active in is likely. Rozes is another big smogon name who could further prove themselves, after a win in the BST Limit tour.

C Tier

18. sagar0027 / deg:
Sagar can play but doesn't stand out in a bunch loaded with active 1v1 players. Deg is also a bit of a meme who I've got no opinion on.

19. ggopw / ryyjyywyy: Recent controversy (?) has proven that ggopw probably isn't managing. Outside of that both are really good players, the former of which is prob a top 3 of all time.

20. neomon / power: Neo never came across as someone who liked 1v1 very much, and his shitty week 7 post last pl didn't do him any favors. Power is another big smogon guy who's decent ig.

21. pazza / dom: Stop getting yourself into trouble so much dom omfg you've shown you can be a genuine cool member of the community.

F Tier

22. comme des garcons:
Outside his taste for music I doubt he's hitting any of the right notes.

23. flameblitz: Better luck next time :[

Last edited:

comme des garcons

Banned deucer.
MANAGER POWER RANKINGS!!! :0

With the closing of manager signups imminent here's my thoughts on the current lineup:

S Tier

1. TheShadowClaw / Blazikin:
Two awesome people who are both very good in this tier and aren't strangers to winning. TSC in particular has been outstanding in recent team tours, so expecting this team to do great should come as no surprise.

2. Alakazam / phiwings99: Big bosso TDA is sure to manage well, overlooking most activity in the community as a whole. Boat is a similarly cool person, who gets on well with most of the community. Their experience will be key to their likely success.

A Tier

3. Waylaid / Cash:
Both of these guys are very good and easily likable, while have an active presence in the community. I can see them building a v good team and progressing far.

4. Lost Heroes / Felucia: Probably the most fun duo of managers! Both of them proved themselves last pl, where they reached the semi finals. I wish them the best of luck should they be chosen as managers again.

5. Robyn / Djokra: Bringing back the Rhys has me very excited!!! Robyn has grown a lot in the past year and Alice is adorable, gl on a semi final place this year!

6. Nalei / pqs: Add the most notorious set builder and cool guy pqs and at least some success is inevitable. Watch out for teams from the sets compendium should you face these guys.

7. Synonimous / Whaleeeee: Syno has made himself known for good reasons recently, while whale has historically been a great player. I feel like whether or not they can draft a solid team will be crucial to their fate.

8. Kaif / stableprince569: Two active users who are both p good. Kaif's apology definately saved his reputation and could squeeze them a place as the 8th team of the tournament.

B Tier

9. ayedan / Yami:
Ayeden is good and cool and Magma is also good but maybe not so cool but are they cool enough to surpass some of the 8 listed above? Hmm...

10. GeneralGunderson / James155: James didn't do too well managing last time around, but is worthy of another chance. GG is a cool guy that would work well alongside him.

11. AllFourtyOne / Jabiru: Both users have been very active in the community as of recent, would be a wildcard team should they be chosen.

12. Joker 1v1: Joker is really fun user who missed out on managing last time around, sadly I doubt he will be chosen without a Co-manager :(

13. Rosa: Another user who's chances are slim because of a solo manage. Past controversy seems to have stuck with her in particular for some reason, which isn't helping. Nonetheless a v cool big staff user.

14. Notater / Attidude: Notater is a strange manager choice who could flourish alongside atti who is very solid. Watching their team unfold would be interesting but I can't see them being chosen unfortunately.

15. Lkjc / Partman: As much as I love these two guys, the meta's they have managed aren't taken very seriously by a majority of the community :( still wish the best of luck.

16. yogi / SolarflareRo: Adding Solar could be a saving grace for yogi who probably wasn't getting manager. Solar is a cool guy who did outstanding (!) last pl.

17. ima / rozes: ima did exceptionally well last time around as a player, but I'm unsure if managing in a tier he's not very active in is likely. Rozes is another big smogon name who could further prove themselves, after a win in the BST Limit tour.

C Tier

18. sagar0027 / deg:
Sagar can play but doesn't stand out in a bunch loaded with active 1v1 players. Deg is also a bit of a meme who I've got no opinion on.

19. ggopw / ryyjyywyy: Recent controversy (?) has proven that ggopw probably isn't managing. Outside of that both are really good players, the former of which is prob a top 3 of all time.

20. neomon / power: Neo never came across as someone who liked 1v1 very much, and his shitty week 7 post last pl didn't do him any favors. Power is another big smogon guy who's decent ig.

21. pazza / dom: Stop getting yourself into trouble so much dom omfg you've shown you can be a genuine cool member of the community.

F Tier

22. comme des garcons:
Outside his taste for music I doubt he's hitting any of the right notes.

23. flameblitz: Better luck next time :[
1580662550914.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)