Announcement 1v1 Suspect #2 - Mimikyu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

:mimikyu:

The next 1v1 suspect will be Mimikyu! As it did in Gen 7, Mimikyu has once again proven to be a polarizing and metagame defining Pokemon within this generation of 1v1. This is all due to Mimikyu's excellent ability in Disguise, which allows Mimikyu to take any one single attack from any Pokemon. Even after the nerf done to Disguise in Gen 8, this gives Mimikyu ample opportunity to either set up against an opponent, inflict them with a status, or simply attack for an OHKO or 2HKO. With powerful sets like Choice Band and Choice Scarf, aided by Gen 8's overall depower creep and the increased usefulness of Trick, Mimikyu can break past hyperoffensive and stall threats simultaneously. Additionally, the Curse + Salac Berry serves as a Speed trap that can also beat back threats without Speed control, Taunt, or multi-hit moves, evading damage with Phantom Force, after Mimikyu cannot Substitute and Protect any further. There are also more niche strategies, such as a Kee Berry + Charm set to shut down would-be counters like Choice Band Avalugg.

All of these sets spell out the greatest issue with Mimikyu in the 1v1 metagame; reliable counters for Mimikyu are perceived as few and far between, and when facing off against Mimikyu, the matchup often boils down to correctly predicting one out of its many extremely splashable and viable sets. Incorrectly predicting a Mimikyu set often leads to a loss, and teambuilding with the goal of including completely reliable Mimikyu answers typically forces unbalanced and predictable teams that require specific counterplay options like Choice Scarf Cloyster and Bulldoze Gyarados.​

The voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 75.0 with at least 50 games played. For this suspect test, we will be using the regular 1v1 ladder, so you must create a new account that begins with 1VMK to qualify. Mimikyu will be legal on the ladder. The suspect will end on May 2nd, 11:59 PM EST. Mimikyu will require a vote of 60% Ban to be banned from SS 1v1.

GXE ≥ 75.0
Battle count ≥ 50

You must use a fresh account registered after the posting of this thread for your reqs. This alt must begin with 1VMK, e.g. 1VMK RPS

If you have achieved the voting requirements, CLICK HERE.

When posting in this thread, please keep in mind these rules:
1. No one liners or uninformed posts
2. No discussion on other potential suspects or the suspect process
3. Be respectful

Your post will be deleted and possibly infracted if you fail to follow them. Have fun!

Last edited:
I mean, any potentially banworthy Pokemon should have been quickbanned for the current meta, and collectively unbanned after DLC drops. I know I am way too late to this part, but a suspect to gauge the brokenness of a Pokemon in an incomplete or sure-to-change meta feels like an unnecessary waste of time. I know this meta has been played quite a bit and its intricacies have been discussed to death in all available forums (room, Discord, Smogon), but a quickban (I feel) would warrant a re-looking into after the post-DLC meta stabilizes, but a suspect test would give a pseudo-solid "evidence" of sorts drawn from an incomplete meta. This is not to undermine the effort being put in by guys who want to make their opinions heard here, but I just feel like this can be put to better use after the DLC drops and the meta stabilizes. I know this is not very relevant to the current suspect, but I hope the council takes this into consideration before mulling over a potential suspect. Also, for the above-stated reason, I haven't thought much about the place Mimikyu has in the "current" metagame.

PS: Sorry if this hurts any of you, because that was not my intention.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
I mean, any potentially banworthy Pokemon should have been quickbanned for the current meta, and collectively unbanned after DLC drops. I know I am way too late to this part, but a suspect to gauge the brokenness of a Pokemon in an incomplete or sure-to-change meta feels like an unnecessary waste of time. I know this meta has been played quite a bit and its intricacies have been discussed to death in all available forums (room, Discord, Smogon), but a quickban (I feel) would warrant a re-looking into after the post-DLC meta stabilizes, but a suspect test would give a pseudo-solid "evidence" of sorts drawn from an incomplete meta. This is not to undermine the effort being put in by guys who want to make their opinions heard here, but I just feel like this can be put to better use after the DLC drops and the meta stabilizes. I know this is not very relevant to the current suspect, but I hope the council takes this into consideration before mulling over a potential suspect. Also, for the above-stated reason, I haven't thought much about the place Mimikyu has in the "current" metagame.

PS: Sorry if this hurts any of you, because that was not my intention.
The next coming DLC doesn't drop for another 2 months, and we've still got a whole Ladder Tournament in this metagame coming very soon. You also have to bear in mind which Pokemon we're getting via DLC. If the legends are only coming in November (Crown Tundra), then the most impactful mons we'd be getting in June would be Azumarill, Chansey, Magnezone, Volcarona, Lycanroc, and whatever Galar mons there are that might be viable with the DLC in June (Isle of Armor) (see below image).
With that said, it also depends on whether or not they include the Crown Tundra Pokemon as being compatible with Pokemon Home when the Isle of Armor comes. There's simply too many variables to worry about when it comes to planning ahead that we have no control over.

On the note of general quickbans and other suspect theory, I ask that you reserve those thoughts for the Metagame Discussion thread, since the sole purpose of this thread should be discussing whether or not Mimikyu is problematic in the current metagame.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
It’s an overrated trashy Pokémon. My pikachu or gengar always takes care of it in 1v1
I make it suffer rosa.
I'm gonna have to ask you to slow down and read the suspect discussion guidelines that can be found in the 1v1 rules thread.
- Firstly, if you make a checks or counters argument, the very first thing you need to do is make sure you have the correct terminology. A check, is something that can beat common sets of a given Pokemon, but can still lose to alternative sets or the change of a move. A counter is something that can almost always beat a given Pokemon, regardless of sets, so long as the correct plays are always made.

- Secondly, just because something lacks counters / checks does NOT mean it is instantly broken. Charizard, Gyarados, and Dragonite all forced picks and mindgames at preview, but that does not instantly make them broken. However, if something DOES have checks and counters, this doesn't make it NOT broken either. Tapu Koko had counters, Kyurem-Black had counters (specific to its set) and so on. Ideally, when discussing checks and counters of a given Pokemon, the checks and counters should at least be somewhat viable, as opposed to something not even on the VR, lest it just makes the Pokemon you're trying to defend look even more unhealthy, if you're legitimately suggesting people use awful Pokemon for the express purpose of beating a single threat.

- Thirdly, just because you beat something while you have an Elo rating of 1000 does not mean it's not broken. If you want to use battle statistics in your argument, look at the top tier battles, the VR posters, the Tourney scene, and use really good examples. It's much harder to refuse your points if you are a highly respected battler, usually because it means people trust and respect your opinion, regardless as to which way you vote. The lower you are on the ladder, the less any Pokemon will be used successfully and intelligently, so please bear that in mind.

- Fourthly, if you use arguments along the lines of saying "Darmanitan-Galar is bad, I KO it with CC all the time lol", or other similar one-liners, your post will be deleted, and you will be infracted if you continue further, or even infracted on the spot if the post is bad enough. We know the type chart; put some substance behind your posts or just don't bother wasting our time.

- Fifthly, Fact Check. There is nothing sadder than posting a sweeping statement that's incorrect. For instance, it's a common misconception that fighting types beat steel types in SM 1v1, as most steels had either a secondary typing that turned the tables or an ability like Sturdy that let them live a hit and clean KO right back. Everyone has access to the damage calc. Use it, lest you make yourself look like a fool.

- Sixth, be careful of the "Prediction argument". It goes both ways. This should be especially clear for the team preview-heavy metagame we find ourselves playing. It's easy to assume that Trick + Choice beat ImprisonForm Mew, while neglecting the fact that Mew can just raw Transform and proceed to KO you.

- Seventh, make sure your post actually brings some sort of discussion to it. Posts that just say what a mon has and calls it good while providing no reasoning to back it are just a waste of time. I'm not asking you to make a novel, but please make sure your post has a depth of reasoning and quality behind it. If you cannot be bothered putting thought into it, then quite frankly, we cannot be bothered reading it. In general, the better your arguments are (detail, reasoning etc), the better of the overall quality of your post, and the better chance you have of influencing people to see things your way. Therefore, if you feel strongly about a particular suspect or Pokemon in general, it is in your interest to make your post as well reasoned as possible, because if you half-ass it, then you are convincing no one.

- Eighth, don't discuss past or future tiering. Complaining about a past ban from years ago doesn't fix the past, likewise, you can never really accurately assess what the future will be like without any kind of results. This also includes arguments along the lines of "well Mimikyu's gonna be broken with Mew gone"; decisions do not hinge on individual interactions between Pokemon, but rather the entire culmination of their presence in the metagame, of which the former can only ever be a small part of the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)