Announcement 1v1 Suspect #4 - Victini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
:ss/Victini:

1v1's fourth suspect will be Victini! Victini has proven to be one of the most diverse and all-around metagame threats seen in Gen 8 1v1. Compared to the rest of the 1v1 metagame, its set diversity is without equal, making it extremely malleable for any team composition and unpredictable on Team Preview. While common sets your more likely to see in an average ladder run will consist of simple Choice item and Weakness Policy sets, Victini has the ability to easily pick up and use any item and most of to serve its purposes, running sets like Air Balloon, Colbur Berry, Passho Berry, Life Orb, alongside moves like Will-O-Wisp, Encore, Trick, Quick Attack, Glaciate, and Light Screen, alongside its already ridiculous offensive moves of V-Create, Bolt Strike, and Blue Flare. These factors, alongside its natural 100 base stats across the board, essentially lets Victini pick and choose which variation it wants to run to fit the needs of its team, able to be basically any and every archetype of attacker, and thus realistically having very little or no consistent answers.

For this suspect test, we will be using the regular 1v1 ladder, so you must create a new account that begins with 1Vic to qualify. Victini will be legal on the ladder. The Deadline for the Victini Suspect is Saturday, December 26th, 11:59 EST (GMT -5)

This suspect, we will be trying something new, a sliding scale reqs system.

You must have a minimum GXE of 75, with at least 50 games played (but see below).

The minimum game requirement is reduced by 1 game for every 0.3 GXE you have above 75 GXE, down to a minimum of 35 games with a GXE of 79.5 or above.

This chart will explain the GXE that correlates with each number of minimum of games.
GXEMinimum Games

You must use a fresh account registered after the posting of this thread for your reqs. This alt must begin with 1Vic, e.g. 1Vic RPS

If you have achieved the voting requirements, CLICK HERE.

When posting in this thread, please keep in mind these rules:
1. No one liners or uninformed posts
2. No discussion on other potential suspects or the suspect process
3. Be respectful

Your post will be deleted and possibly infracted if you fail to follow them. Have fun!

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
1608097088763.png

Why Victini is Unhealthy for 1v1

Despite its relatively cute looks, Victini cements itself as one of the most defining threats of the metagame. This in and of itself is not much of an issue, however, what sets Victini apart from other prominent threats in 1v1 is its sheer versatility in sets and coverage options. This can be seen here in this pokepaste that has all 10 1v1 council approved sets. Because of its sheer versatility in viable sets, it can pick and choose what it wants to check. This means at team preview you need to be able to determine what set your opponent is running in order to pick the safest matchup.

The best example that comes to mind is the Passho Victini which allows it to remove Water-types that would otherwise check it such as Primarina, Tapu-Fini, and Suicune. Moreover, if your team can be 3-0d by non-Water-type Pokemon that run Choice Specs the most notable being Necrozma then Light-Screen Weakness Policy Victini is the perfect fit. The point here is that because of Victini's sheer versatility it becomes a staple Pokemon for a majority of the teams in the meta. In other words, Victini is both extremely splashable and somewhat acts as glue for most teams. Victini's splashability became evident to me a bit before the suspect when I gave teambuilding on my own a shot for the first time. My teambuilding thought process was fairly linear and something likes this.

"Oh, I'm weak to Rillaboomer, Victini. Oh, I'm weak to Bulky Waters, Passho Victini"

From my experience, you aren't necessarily at a disadvantage if you decide to not bring Victini, however, if you are facing a Victini you are automatically at a disadvantage depending on its set. Victini is unhealthy for the 1v1 metagame for this reason and the reasons I stated above. This is why it should be banned in the upcoming vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)