Announcement 1v1 Suspect #6 - Genesect

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.

:ss/genesect:
1v1's sixth suspect will be Genesect! Being a prominent threat ever since the inception of the 2nd set of DLC for Sword and Shield, Genesect's biggest issues holding it back were always tied into annoyingly powerful mons that ran Fire-type moves between both Victini and Snorlax, but with both of those threats being removed, Genesect has finally had a chance to take the spotlight for itself. Between a multitude of sets, a massive arsenal of moves, more than solid stats, an amazing ability, and a sole weakness to Fire, Genesect certainly has the toolkit to make it a potentially overbearing threat, relative to the rest of the metagame. Gen 8 allowing Genesect to use moves like Blaze Kick, Shift Gear, and Extreme Speed without being locked to Hasty Nature certainly helped as well. Alongside all of this, it's not like Pokemon could just slap on a Fire-type move and suddenly beat Genesect, since the onset of Occa Berry sets makes matters much more difficult, often flipping matchups in favor of Genesect instead, leaving its answers often being limited down to either Fire-type Pokemon themselves that can survive Genesect's attacks and KO through Occa, or otherwise especially powerful or bulky Pokemon that can either outright KO it or bulk it down. All of this has left the playerbase with a generally sour disposition towards the bug.

In terms of sets, Genesect is capable of running just about anything and doing it well. Thanks to Download alongside its strong mixed offensive stats, Genesect can viably use both physical and special sets, making it especially hard to predict and especially easy to tech with, being generally capable of preparing for just about anything; AV Urshifu getting annoying? Slap a Choice Specs on there and KO right through the Spd boost with Steel Beam! Specs Necrozma getting in your way with Heat Wave? Just eat it with Occa! Scarf Darmanitan-G koing you with Flare Blitz? Outspeed it with your own Scarf! This much versatility leaves true Genesect answers being limited down to mostly bulky Fire types that can eat any single hit from Genesect and KO through potential Occa Berries between the likes of Arcanine, Heatran, and specially defensive/Wacan Berry Volcanion, as well as hyper bulky threats that can eat mostly anything Genesect throws at them like Registeel, Celesteela, Chansey, and Corsola-G.

On the other hand, while all of these things may make Genesect sound like some kind of unbeatable, unpredictable menace, the opportunity cost of switching between these sets also has to be considered. Running Scarf means you can no longer beat bulky offensive threats like Necrozma, Urshifu, Aggron, Sawk, etc, and can't use Extreme Speed to deal with Custap users like Sylveon, Moltres-G, and Primarina. Running bulky Occa Berry means you no longer outspeed Urshifu, Spectrier, Darmanitan-G, Naganadel, etc. Even changing out each individual move comes with its own set of costs and benefits; you need Ice Beam for mons like Zygarde, Garchomp, and Landorus, but also need Gunk Shot for mons like Sylveon, Tapu Fini, and Primarina, and also need something to 2HKO Aggron, and Extreme Speed, and Shift Gear, etc etc. Overall, each set of Genesect comes with its weighted set of gains and losses that result from using them, so while it may be scary to pick against in preview, no singular Genesect set is ever gonna beat as much as something like the typical AV Urshifu or Specs Necrozma, so while Genesect overall may be very strong, it is certainly not without its flaws.

For this suspect test, we will be using the regular 1v1 ladder, so you must create a new account that begins with 1SECT to qualify. Genesect will be legal on the ladder. The Deadline for the Genesect Suspect is Thursday, June 10th, 11:59 EST (GMT -5)

This suspect shall be reusing the sliding scale system from the Victini suspect, being:
GXEMinimum Games
The way this works is that the minimum game requirement is reduced by 1 game for every 0.3 GXE you have above 75 GXE, down to a minimum of 35 games with a GXE of 79.5 or above, with the absolute minimum GXE requirement being 75%, with at least 50 games played.

You must use a fresh account registered after the posting of this thread for your reqs. This alt must begin with 1SECT, e.g. 1SECT Rosa

If you have achieved the voting requirements, CLICK HERE.

When posting in this thread, please keep in mind these rules:
1. No one liners or uninformed posts
2. No discussion on other potential suspects or the suspect process
3. Be respectful

Your post will be deleted and possibly infracted if you fail to follow them. Have fun!

Last edited:
anyway, not much can be said that trashuny hasnt imo (read here) about genesects insane versatility, coverage, unpredictability, its ability to cheese a lot of mus with occa, the fact that it will almost always trump sturdy mons, and et cetera

but i would like to add that i think, personally, i think the meta would actually develop to be more interesting with the disappearance of the bolted bug. i look forward to seeing fairy types and psychic types alike being able to comfortably play

i will, however, miss it if it gets banned, as it is a fun pokemon to experiment with that allows for levels of creativity that honestly shouldnt even be possible, and its very enjoyable to catch someone off guard with a cteam set; but i do agree that the sheer availability of said sets is a bit over the top

yea, genesect has really been meta-changing especially its variance in use, making it unpredictable to know whether its a physical or special attacker,

1. occa berry is a great item for it as it reduces the fire damage to this mon , which is added to its decent defenses

2. another thing is its ability download, boosting the attacking stats depending upon the opponent which is incredible upon specific matchups

3. its attacking stats are insane, both being 120 each, along with its wide movepool, this hybrid insect must be stopped ; ;

all I wanna say is BAN GENSECT!!

:ss/genesect:

Last edited:
Genesect is probably the best user for download for obvious reasons. In a meta where mega Charizard is not dominating the meta, Genesect can reign in its opponents with its disgusting coverage and like mentioned before, be given an attack or spa boost based on the opponent’s weaker defense. Now it’s the best Pokémon in the meta. Most people run fire types cause of this Scizor mutant.

I’ve seen
Espeed to bypass custap or just speed priority
Gunk Shot for fairies
Ice Beam for dragons, more specifically Zygarde
Blaze Kick/Flamethrower for other sects
But Buzz or powerful bug stab

This mon is so customizable it makes it essential to be successful on ladder.

I’ve had matchups where I’ve beaten fire types with this thing via Occa Berry.

I personally want it banned so the meta can be more original rather than
-Genesect
-Genesect Check
-Something that beats the rest of your threat list

Hey, Genesect's finally getting a suspect huh. Genesect has been a staple 1v1 since DLC 2 dropped, and there's a good reason for that. Download, amazing coverage, good stats, and a good defensive typing. Let's talk about Genesect and why it's amazing.

1622702345398.png

First off, the downsides. Genesect's most crippling weakness is its disappointing speed tier and its quad fire weakness. These weaknesses aren't enough to keep the drugged Kabutops down though. Most sets mend this by either running Occa Berry to patch up that fire weakness or running Choice Scarf or Extreme Speed to fix its speed issues.

Now that we've gone over Genesect's minor weaknesses, let's go over why it's banworthy. Genesect sets aren't completely unhandlable, since each different set has its own different counters. The problem with Genesect is that once you have the set you're running, you just need to run a teammate that can either counter Genesect (which can in some cases be Genesect itself if it runs flamethrower) or a Pokemon that covers up what Genesect can't cover offensively. The last team slot can go to really anything you need. Genesect is an extremely versatile Pokemon and can fit on almost any team.

Let's go deeper and talk about coverage. Genesect is a mythical Pokemon, meaning that GF doted on it with a ridiculous amount of coverage. Tying in with the point about this thing's versatility, it can run almost any coverage necessary for it to excel. I'm gonna do a quick run-over of my three favorite sets.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Energy Ball / Steel Beam
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz

I'll go into detail about Download later, but for now, I want to focus on a purely special set. This set is purely meant to have coverage for as many threats as possible. Energy Ball for Primarina, Tapu Fini, Urshifu-Rapid-Strike, and more. Ice Beam for Zygarde, Haxorous, and others. Flamethrower for Rillaboom, Avalugg, and assorted Steels. Bug Buzz for a good STAB option that hits a decent amount of Pokemon effectively and having the added bonus of dealing with Whimsicott. Steel Beam can alternatively be run for a ridiculously powerful STAB move that can OHKO almost anything in sight.

Genesect @ Life Orb
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Extreme Speed
- Bug Buzz / Steel Beam
- Ice Beam / Flamethrower / Thunderbolt

Fresh of the Smogon sample sets, its Life Orb Genesect. Taking advantage of download this time, Genesect can run either stab option in Bug Buzz or Steel Beam and a coverage option in the last slot to patch up your team. This set also has Gunk Shot to deal with the problematic Tapu Fini and Primarina, and Extreme Speed for Custap users.

Genesect @ Occa Berry
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 40 SpA / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Steel Beam
- Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Flamethrower / Bug Buzz
- Gunk Shot
- Extreme Speed

Taking the bulky EV investment from the sample set, Genesect becomes a bulky ass bug that can take any hit and fire back a powerful move. The same reasoning from the Life Orb set applies, but this time, you need to run Steel Beam since you don't have as much SpA to abuse with coverage.

Overall, Genesect isn't a fun Pokemon to have in the meta. It's overcentralizing and it's using on every team simply because of the sheer amount of utility it has. With good teammates, Genesect teams have almost no weaknesses. It can hit anything in the meta and can usually take a hit back. I have no doubt that even if counterplay to Genesect develops, its going to mirror what happened in OU with Genesect starting to run Drives so it gets water coverage, or just for the power boost.

I'm going to have to say that Genesect needs to be banned so the meta can develop and use creative sets instead of Genesect partners. Let's let some other Pokemon see the light of day in a bug free meta.

Edit 1: Might be adding some replays for each set later. It's late when I'm writing this, so maybe tommorow
Edit 2: Working on the replays, and corrected Energy Ball's coverage from Urshifu-Single-Strike to Urshifu-Rapid-Strike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)