2007 Japan National Tournament

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yup. That's right folks! Japan had another National Tournament that finished during the first week of September. There's a user over YouTube that participates in the tournaments and actually contacted me about JAA last year. That's how I found out about their 2005 tournament and so on. The good news in this? Well, they had a tournament in 2005, we got ours in 2006. Does this leave us set up for a 2008 tournament? That seems rather likely at this point especially given the strides they've taken to continue making Pokemon competitive and interactive online.

So what do I have? Some videos! The 13 and older finals actually are a damn good match featuring a twisted D/P 'Obi Mode' strategy! =)

Yokohama Regional 12 and Under Finals
-Featuring the imperious miscreant Dark Void Smeargle and Choice Specs Latios versus some odd things like Azelf and standards (for this tournament), such as Metagross. This is pretty amusing (bad).

Yokohama Regional 13 and Over Round 3
-The evil Rain Dance Dusknoir + Raikou combo takes on the dreadful hit and run Draco Meteor Latios.

Yokohama Regional 13 and Over Finals
-Hello, my name is Eruption Typhlosion and I am here to utterly rape your team in the ass.

2007 Japan National Tournament 12 and Under Finals
-Nearly as bad as a turn one as my effort in the finals of JAA Chicago last year. Some random crap including Trick Room Bronzong + Medicham against a host of random Pokemon. Features the winner of the Yokohama Regional as Player 1.

2007 Japan National Tournament 13 and Over Finals
-This is a very good match. On one side we have a Water type which focuses around a Rain Dance that just doesn't quite come, and on the other side we have.... Obi2Kenobi's Japanese counterpart???

Level 1 Focus Sash Smeargle uses Follow Me which Bronzong Trick Rooms. Commence Endeavor and Gyro Ball rape. But wait! Its not that simple, and the match because a lot closer than you might expect...

Mental note to carry Abomasnow if we do get a tournament and it has a similar ruleset, haha.

I bothered to watch the 13+ finals, kind of a fun match to watch, and here's hoping we get another tournament, it was pretty fun last year rooting for the various smogonites even if we were more than a little underwhelming in the finals

maybe you'll be less canadian this year buddy <3

edit: I cant help but laugh at the applause though, haha

I was laughing at that Typhlosion vs. nearly mono-Ice team. That must have sucked for that guy to get owned like that.

The Trick Room team was awesome. Excellent match.

Interesting that there's no visible timer in these battles unlike JAA...

And why didn't Smeargle Endeavor Kingdra with Snorlax finishing it off? Fake Out reeks of arrogance. <_<

Multi-hit moves get around Focus Sash, correct?

EDIT: Ah, didn't notice that Trick Room was over when Kingdra was facing off against Smeargle/Snorlax...

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yes, and also since the Smeargle used Follow Me it could have very easily been hit by two moves, and thus Focus Sash would have been useless against the second hit. That strategy was incredibly risky.

Interesting that there's no visible timer in these battles unlike JAA...

And why didn't Smeargle Endeavor Kingdra with Snorlax finishing it off? Fake Out reeks of arrogance. <_<

TR wore off, the Smeargle would have been KOd before it could do anything. He was actually pretty smart to use Fake Out.

Good matches.

Poor ice-team versus Typhlosion. Just bad luck on the matchups part.
And level 1 Smeargle was hot. Probably should have died from Follow Me (though the TR still goes off and still helps him sweep).

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Actually no, multi-hit moves (not even Triple Kick or Beat Up) get through Focus Sash.

Actually no, multi-hit moves (not even Triple Kick or Beat Up) get through Focus Sash.
Based on what you have in the parentheses, I assume you left out a "don't" in there somewhere.

If that's the case, 2v2 will assuredly be revolving around Trick Room. A Focus Sash Pokemon using Follow Me will guarantee a Trick Room setup on the first turn. You don't even get a chance to Taunt the Trick Room user beforehand. =(

Interesting. What were the rules for the tournament?

Also, if you insist on having an actual human being as an announcer, please turn the fucking game's announcer off. Seriously NOJ, come on.

Probably a good idea just to carry a thyphlosion for these types of situations if you suspect a hail team. You carry 6 and pick 4 correct?

Are official tourneys always using the 2v2 format? You'd think they'd do 1v1 AND 2v2 since the games have like, both. 2v2 reeks of Explosion and Protect =(

^ Yeah, I thought so.

Thanks for posting, they were great to watch. The Smeargle Trick Room team was SO good.. great match.

And I love the Japanese announcer (the human one) as well as the interacting audience with the "ooh's" and "ahh's!"

By "him" I meant the player, not the pokemon. Smeargle should have dies, the TR would go off, and it would help the player sweep.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I actually misplaced my comma. I meant to say:

Actually, no multi-hit moves...

Of course, getting hit by two separate opponents will destroy Focus Sash, which, considering Smeargle is using Follow Me, is a fairly likely event. It's for situations like that that I like to carry at least one multi-target move on my starter if I suspect anything like this. If I can use Rock Slide and Eruption, for instance, that's pretty much gg Focus Sash.

I would rather have something like Fake Out, Endure, Endeavor, Spore @ Focus Sash. Fake Out one Pokemon first turn as Bronzong uses Trick Room, meaning the other Pokemon cannot kill Smeargle unless it introduces a status effect / is Tyranitar or Abomasnow. Next turn, Endure + Explode, bring out a slow Fake Outer. Fake Out + Spore, etc.

Trick Room Bronzong not only counters other strategies (such as Rain Dancers / Chlorophyllers), it also is more team-friendly, meaning if they have Tyranitar / Abomasnow / whatever, you don't have to instantly fail.

Equip Bronzong with a Focus Sash (if item clause is not in play) or an Occa Berry (if it is) to pretty much guarantee that it will survive the first turn (since it will generally only be hit by one Pokemon and then Explode). The new turn order means that even if Bronzong fails to OHKO both opponents with Explosion, as long as they don't status Smeargle, you're good, because they can't hit your incoming Pokemon because it's not replaced until the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)