2013/2014 Soccer/Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Atletico has to beat Barca to win the league over Real Madrid, i'm 90% sure Barcelona would just let them walk the ball into the net all game.

If Atletico win their last 4 matches they will win the league. They will head to the Nou Camp as Champions due to their superior head to head record against Real Madrid.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
If Atletico win their last 4 matches they will win the league. They will head to the Nou Camp as Champions due to their superior head to head record against Real Madrid.
The funny thing is that if Real Madrid is still able to win the league by the time Atletico plays Barcelona, then Barcelona will most likely have a chance to win the league too (unless they screw up again, basically), and considering both Real Madrid and Atleti-Barça matches are going to be played at the same time (that is, if Atletico hasn't won the trophy by then), it would be extremely sad if Barcelona just let Atletico win.

7 days ago Barca still had the chance to win a treble. Now if they lose today they will probably win nothing.
The fact that Iniesta had to play out of position this season for Fabregas is a crime in itself.

Real will probably win today. 2-1.

1. Spending on wages --- http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1...ing-espn-sporting-intelligence-survey?cc=3888

Man City are first with an unbelievable 5.3 million pounds on average for each player.

Oh and look at that Chelsea are 10 and who is that 1 place below them?! Arsenal who don't spend money like Chelsea right?!?!

I really do laugh when people say Liverpool don't spend a lot. They recorded a loss of 49.8 million euros(More than Chelsea) but have spent their money poorly. They have done better recently with sturridge, Coutinho(more to do with Inter than Liverpool), Sahko and suarez. .

2. For people who don't know anything about FFP and are just talking up their asses.
http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/13759?cc=3888

oh and lol City.

Last edited:
Arsenal's wages spending is a relic from Wenger's policy of giving every player the same wages. He used to pay Van Persie and Djourou the same wages cos he had this idea that everyone in the same team should get the same wages. It's probably the main reason ppl like Flamini, Hleb, Adebayor, Clichy, Nasri and eventually RVP left (and Walcott would've left too if he wasn't so shit that nobody wanted him). Since RVP left he's stopped doing that now, but there are still ppl like Bendtner and Park Ju Young and Fabianski and Djourou on 60k a week. You know well that Arsenal have spent a fraction the amount of money Chelsea has spent on transfers in the last 10 years.

And yes Liverpool are one of the heavyweights and they still can afford to pay high wages and spend on transfers even without CL. They have a massive global fanbase.

Also there's been reports that City and PSG will be sanctioned but it will only be a fine or transfer embargo, they won't be kicked out of CL.

Also there's been reports that City and PSG will be sanctioned but it will only be a fine or transfer embargo, they won't be kicked out of CL.
None of those teams will be kicked out of the CL. If found guilty they will they will get fined directly and through their rosters for the Cl.
If you aren't going to read the article then read this extract

"Q Right. So what kind of punishments are we talking about?

A: They're in the FFP regulations, which I'm sure you've read closely. I doubt anybody will be thrown out unless they have unpaid bills or try to deceive UEFA. But I'd imagine you're primarily looking at fines and limits on the size and makeup of Champions League rosters next season.

So, for example, maybe a club might be allowed to register only one or two new players for the Champions League. Or perhaps they'll limit the aggregate wages of a club's Champions League roster, meaning that some stars need to be left out.

And there will be a hefty fine too. In fact, one idea gaining traction recently sounds a little like this: For every dollar you go over the limit, you get a dollar's worth of punishment.

Q: A-ha! So a luxury tax, like the NBA?

A: Not quite. Because Michel Platini doesn't want owners with limitless funds to simply pay fines and do whatever they like. So straight fines would only be part of it. Say you're $40 million over, and so you get $40 million worth of punishment. Maybe you'd get a straight $20 million fine and then $20 million worth of Champions League roster limitations. Like, for example, having to shave $20 million off the total value of the wages of your Champions League squad list. That way, the thinking goes, clubs are punished both in financial terms but also in sporting terms."

just boot them out instead. sanctions and fines doesnt make any differance, they are still qualifying for the champions league every year regardless of all thse FFP rules being broken, they are just weaker.
not a punishment, and highly unfair on those teams in the legaue system without the funding who cant qualify for europe because of these teams in the first place.
those that are within the rules, should be allowed in instead.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
just boot them out instead. sanctions and fines doesnt make any differance, they are still qualifying for the champions league every year regardless of all thse FFP rules being broken, they are just weaker.
not a punishment, and highly unfair on those teams in the legaue system without the funding who cant qualify for europe because of these teams in the first place.
those that are within the rules, should be allowed in instead.
Nice try, City out and Everton in. Your shitty team still won't be playing in Europe next season or the next couple of seasons for that matter because Moyes won't be able to go on that spending spree that he's reportedly planning.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
not sure that punishing clubs that create huge debts with huge fines is a sustainable punishment

HBK

Manchester United have agreed a deal to sign top summer target William Carvalho from Sporting Lisbon for £35million, according to reports.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nice try, City out and Everton in. Your shitty team still won't be playing in Europe next season or the next couple of seasons for that matter because Moyes won't be able to go on that spending spree that he's reportedly planning.
Actually, Moyes can spend as much money as he wants. This is because United generate massive revenues, which means they can spend massive amounts. Unlike the sugar daddies.

Title is in both Liverpool and Chelsea's hands now. The situation favours Liverpool massively though - Mourinho will not like having to go to Liverpool knowing he has to attack and win, but Rodgers doesn't seem like the kind of coach who will tell his team to defend a 0-0. I can't wait to see how the two of them set up their teams for this match!

Sunderland have put us in a nice postition where we can afford one draw, however, for now I'm just gonna focus on Norwich, because, as the results today showed anything can happen.

HBK

Sunderland have done us a massive favor by holding City to a draw. But we have to win all of our remaining games and I just hope that Ba can continue scoring. I DO NOT want to see Torres any where except on the bench.

Busquets probably had his worst game in a barca shirt at least for a while. Had no clue how to deal with the 442 of real madrid. Pressed and left acres of space for Real's attackers to move into.

To think Barca took cesc Fabregas over Thiago is bemusing to be honest. Atm he is just taking up space.
Messi wasn't in the game but you can't really blame him. This barca team is trying to be less dependent on him.
Pedro is better than Neymar but his price tag and wages aren't as big as neymar's so I guess he won't be playing regularly.

Barca's season is over and the only thing they can hope for at this moment in time is that they get this transfer window to invest.

On the City game.
Sunderland really deserved the 3 points but then the arsenal keeper made the mistake.
People will point to the fact that Toure missed the game but Silva missing was a huge blow. He is City's best player(barring Aguero on top form) and everything good offensively comes from him indirectly or directly. Certainly better than the overrated Toure.

HBK

Toure is, by no means, overrated. He is easily the best midfielder in the league. His strength, energy and range of passing has been the force behind City's title charge this season. He is the reason that Silva is so deadly. He stifles the opposing midfielders with his presence so that Silva can find space. Without him, there's a giant, gaping hole in City's midfield that none of their players can hope to fill.

On the City game.
Sunderland really deserved the 3 points but then the arsenal keeper made the mistake.
People will point to the fact that Toure missed the game but Silva missing was a huge blow. He is City's best player(barring Aguero on top form) and everything good offensively comes from him indirectly or directly. Certainly better than the overrated Toure.
did you just call Yaya Toure overrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)